You Can’t Disappoint A Vampire

Spike breathed in the smoke and exhaled into the night. Today had started out like shit and had ended up even shittier. Forget the fact that he’d started his first day at that God-awful prison they called school. But he’d also received the odd treatment from Buffy, Willow, and Xander, and came home to a pissed off Jenny. Apparently she didn’t appreciate his skipping two classes, especially her ceramics class.

“I fell asleep,” he admitted when he finally made it home that day. He found that it was far safer to tell Jenny the truth and risk a lecture, than to lie and risk her disappointment.

He hated when people he cared about got all disappointed with him. It gave him this soddy feeling in his chest that he couldn’t quite shake off. When he was seven and visiting Jenny in America, he’d accidentally knocked over one of her hand-made vases, shattering it onto the floor. When she asked him later if he’d done it, he told her it wasn’t him. She never said anything about it, just shook her head in disappointment.

Since then, he’d never lied to her.

“You fell asleep?” she repeated. “Not a good enough excuse. Next time you decide to fall asleep through your last few classes, don’t even bother coming home.” With that, she began to make dinner. He was just glad she didn’t mention his consistent tendency to be a perpetual fuck-up. “Don’t go disgracing the family name in the States,” his father had said in that uptight British accent of his, giving his son a disapproving look. “Although I’m sure I’m wasting my breath.”

Spike sighed again as he walked through the barely lit streets. Shitty day. He still wasn’t too sure what had happened in the library with the other teens. Did he do something? Not that he cared too much. He made it a point to emphasize how much he didn’t care about things.

He just thought maybe he and Xander could’ve possibly become good mates. Possibly. But not if the welp continued to have girly mood swings. He expected those mood swings from Buffy who could turn from sweet to bitchy at the drop of a hat. He couldn’t understand why that turned him on so much.

Spike puffed his cigarette resignedly. He really needed to get laid. He perked up a bit when he remembered the blonde girl from school today. Melody? Symphony? Harmony?

Harmony.

He’d get her number tomorrow and see if she was willing to do the naughty things he had in mind. He smirked, wondering if she knew how to get her legs in that one position he enjoyed so much. She looked pretty flexible.

Spike heard a scream in the distance, which brought him out of his musings. His ears perked up as the voice screamed again. He threw his cigarette down, ran down an alleyway to where he thought he’d heard the shout, and spotted a young girl in the arms of what looked to be a tall man. The man, whose face was buried in the girl’s neck, looked sharply up at Spike.

Vampire

Spike recognized the way the face was vamped out, and cringed at the blood dripping from the monster’s lips. “Go away kid,” the creature snarled.

Spike walked slowly toward the vamp, discreetly pulling out the stake from the back of his pants. “’Fraid I can’t do that mate.” He glanced at the girl’s terrified face and wished he could tell her it would be okay. “Wouldn’t be too responsible of me if I left without making an effort. Would you let her go if I said ‘please’?”

The monster dropped the girl to the cement and charged towards Spike, tackling him to the ground. Spike fell with a muffled ‘oomf,’ and tried to push the vamp off of him. Despite his strength, the other man was two times bigger and exceptionally strong. He managed to roll the guy off of him and plunge the stake into his heart.

Still got it,,’ Spike thought smugly as he climbed to his feet and brushed the dust off of his jacket. He rushed to the young girl and picked her up in his arms. If he ran fast enough, he could get her to the hospital in time.

His fingertips brushed her face. Cold. Almost ice cold. Her dead eyes looked back at him, blaming him for not getting there sooner. There was so much blood.

Spike dropped to the ground, the girl still in his arms. He brushed her soft brown hair out of her face. She was younger than he thought. Not more than fourteen. She’d probably snuck out of the house to meet a friend, not knowing that the night would end up like this. He’d seen a lot of death during his calling as the Slayer. But never, never did he think he could get used to witnessing the death of an innocent.

He didn’t know how long he sat there, watching her in his arms. Minutes? Hours?

“So you are evil.”

Spike looked up at the voice. “Buffy.”

Buffy glared at him, some sort of weapon in her hand. There was a look on her face. Anger mixed with…disappointment? Disappointment.

“Looks like I have to kill you after all,” she announced, before brandishing a weapon and stalking towards him.


Chapter End Notes:
Ohno! I hope Buffy doesn’t kill Spike. By the way, that’s what I used to say every week when the show was on television. I know this was a short chapter, and since it was, I’ll be posting next week instead of in two weeks. You guys have been awesome, and I wouldn’t shortchange you with a dinky chapter.

Thank you to everyone who reviewed! Your input is much appreciated. Please let me know what you thought of this chapter. :)