Chapter 6 *The Beginning*


I really, really, really like reviews. Thank you for those of you who take the time to make them. They mean so much. And yes, cliffhangers are a girls best friend (when she can't afford diamonds anyway.) Thanks go out to Tked, my beta!


The cool night air was a shock, pulling Buffy from her stupor. Goosebumps covered the exposed skin of her shoulders and back, causing her to shiver.

“Here.” Spike said, sliding his duster from his shoulders and wrapping it around her shaking form. “That should keep you till we reach my car. You’ll like her, she’s a classic.” His voice was full of smug pride.

Spike wasted no time in dragging her through the dimly lit parking lot to an ancient black car. Spike unlocked and held open the passenger door.

“I thought you dais you had a classic.” Buffy joked as she slid onto the seat. “Not a classic piece of junk.” He gave her a wounded look and closed her door, rushing around to his side and climbing in.

“Don’t talk about my baby like that.” Spike said rubbing his hand lovingly over the steering wheel before starting the car. Buffy laughed as he put the car in gear and backed them from the parking spot.

“Hold on.” Buffy had just enough time to grip the door and catch the playful smirk on his lips, before she was thrust back into her seat. Her heart raced as they tore from the parking lot with a squeal of the tires. She whipped around in her seat as they flew past Angel as he was coming out of the club. His face was a mask of rage as he watched the car speed off. Buffy watched the brunette run to Angels side, before turning back in her seat. She felt them begin to slow as she loosened her death grip on the door handle.

“Sorry luv.” Spike said, a contrite expression on his face. “I just couldn’t resist.” Buffy was about ready to lay into him when she caught the genuine concern behind his easy smirk, and couldn’t help but laugh.

“A little warning next time bleach boy.”

“So there will be a next time then, pet?” Buffy was struck speechless by his comment. She was still scrambling for an answer when the car came to a full stop. She looked out her window curiously and saw them parked in front of a small apartment complex.

“Home, sweet home.” Spike gestured to the building before opening his door and rushing to her side to help her from the car.

“Coming up?” He asked when she just sat in the car watching him.

“I don’t think. . .I mean. . .I’m not-”

“Relax, luv.” Spike chuckled. “I just want to take a look at your arm.” She looked down to where Angel had grabbed her, the area an angry purple color with small scratches, still bleeding around the bruise. In a daze, Buffy followed Spike up the two flights of stairs to his apartment and let her self to led and placed on the large, black couch, oblivious to her surrounding.

Spike retrieved his first aid kit form the bathroom and hurried back to where he left Buffy. He found her staring off into space, twirling the ring on her finger absently. She didn’t notice him until he sat down beside her, jostling her position on the couch. Spike took her arm and examined the bruise with soft touches.

“It was his ring.” Buffy said quietly as Spike rubbed away the lingering traces of blood, answering his unspoken question.

“So What’d Angelus so this time?” Spike asked gently, still running a soothing cloth over her cuts.

“How do you know him?” Spike chuckled as she avoided his question, but allowing it for now.

“We had a disagreement a couple of weeks ago, not that we were ever really mates before, you know?” Spike gently massaged a soothing cream into her injury. Buffy waited expectantly for him to continue. He looked up and gave her a sad smile before grabbing a bandage to wrap her arm in.

“Angelus thought that I should share my girlfriend with him and she was inclined to agree.” Buffy’s face grew pale and she started to shake.

“That girl with him, was that her?” Spike gave her a concerned glance and grabbed the blanket off the chair, wrapping it around her trembling shoulders His hand lingered on the silky strands that had fallen onto her face, brushing them back with at soft caress. Buffy stared up at him, her hazel eyes impossibly large in her pale face. Spike shook his head in answer to her question and sat back against the arm of the couch, putting come much needed room between the two of them.

"Naw, that was Faith. They’ve been together off and on for about a year now. They break up and he finds someone new, but when she comes back to town, they just pick right back up where they started. Dru,” He said her name as if it left a bad taste in his mouth. “Angelus picked her up about three weeks ago, but now that Faith is back, he must have dumped her.”

“Or maybe she thinks everything is going fine and he is cheating on her.” Buffy replied bitterly. Spike raised his scarred brow in shock before realization dawned on his face.

“So you used to date him. When did you two break up?” Spike asked nonchalantly. Buffy go that look in her eyes, like a deer caught in the headlights.

“Not long ago.”

“What happened between you two?” Spike asked, even though he was sure he knew the answer. He watched as her eyes hardened, t he unmistakable hurt look hidden behind her anger.

“I caught him cheating on me.” Spike nodded in understanding. “What is Dru short for anyway?”

“Drucilla, why?” Buffy shivered beneath her blanket, a chill going through her entire body.

“Buffy, luv, are you alright? You’re looking kind of pale.” Spike slid towards her, putting a concerned hand on her shoulder. “Would you like something to drink?” He jumped to his feet at her nod and make his way, quickly, to the kitchen.

“I have milk, beer, some blue stuff, or water.” He called over his shoulder. “I think I have a bottle of Jack around here somewhere.”

“Beer.” Buffy called. Spike returned to the room with two beer in hand, passing over one to the blonde. Buffy tilted the bottle to her lips and took a long swallow of the cool liquid. She lowered the beverage and found Spike staring at her in shocked amazement, his own brew paused on route to his lips.

She smiled sheepishly, her face growing red. Spike smirked back appreciably and took a quick swig of his own beer.

“Feel better now, pet?”

“Getting there.” She smiled.