Chapter 7: Get the Party Started



Ok, I know I am so bad for taking so long between updates. I love all of you who continue to read and review. Those reviews are what make me continue writing. Thanks, as always to my beta Tked.



The evening progressed comfortably. Spike, Buffy found, was delightfully amusing, with countless tales of his days in England. The beer flowed as freely as the conversation and Buffy found herself more than a little tipsy.

“-so she forgot to lock the door when her mum came in and found us in a compromising situation, or so she thought.” Buffy giggled and sat forward, waiting expectantly. “The silly bint grabbed that plastic axe by the door and came at me with it, beating me over the head.” Buffy clutched her stomach, laughter stealing her breath, tears streaming down her face.

“It bloody well hurt!” Spike exclaimed with no malice, rubbing his head in remembered pain.

“Stop.” Buffy gasped, her face bright red. “I need to breathe.” Spike chuckled and grabbed his bottle sipping slowly, watching the struggling blonde with amusement.

Slowly, Buffy calmed enough to grab her bottle and tip it to her lips. She lifted her drink over her opened mouth, shaking the empty bottle. Spike laughed at her antics, his blue eyes sparkling. She lowered her drink and set it on the coffee table with a slam, pout firmly in place.

:”Easy there, luv.” Spike chuckled as the bottle tipped and rolled off the table.

“It’s all gone!” Buffy pouted, slapping her hand against her leg in exasperation.

“Aww, pouty. Look at that lip.” He slid closer to her and wrapped an arm around her, his hand moving up to tickle at her side. Buffy squealed and wiggled against him. Spike laughed and let her squiggle from his arms and run around the coffee table on unsteady legs.

“Nun uh.” She giggled, waving her finger at him scoldingly. “That wasn’t nice.” She clutched her head in her hands and stared wide eyed at him.

“And why is the room all spinney?” Spike chuckled and rose to his feet, side stepping the table, reaching out a steadying hand to her. Buffy pulled back with a giggle, tottering a bit.

“Luv, I think you’re drunk.”

“Yep!” She popped the word with a grin. “I am very drunk. and I just wanna forget this whole day ever happened, so I need more beer.”

“It’s all gone, pet. You drank my last pint.”

“Well boo!” She exclaimed as she flounced over to the couch and collapsed.

“If you really want more, I might have a bottle of Jack stashed somewhere.” Buffy’s eyes lit up, her lips curving into a smile. Spike felt his stomach clench at the enticing picture she made and gave her an answering grin, before making his way into the kitchen on slightly unsteady legs.

Buffy could hear the banging of cupboards and the odd swear as he searched for the elusive bottle. All sounds stopped causing her to look towards the kitchen. Spike came around the corner, the bottle and two short glasses in his hands.

She swallowed hard, as he sauntered into the room towards her. He slid onto the couch beside her and set down his load. She watched, rapt, as he poured the amber liquid into the two glasses and passed one to her. Buffy took the glass gingerly, eyeing the liquid with a mixture of longing and distaste. Spike smirked at the exchange and raised his glass to her.

“To new friends.” Buffy smiled in response and lifted her glass and shooting it down.

It burned. Holy hell did it burn. The hard liquor slid sensuously over her tongue before blazing a scorching trail down her throat, coating the tender passage as it went.

“Bleah!” She exclaimed as the unsinged taste buds finally relayed the delayed message of the foul tasting liquor to her brain, causing her to stick out her tongue in disgust at the taste.

“Would you like another?” Spike hid a grin at her expression. Buffy smiled and handed her glass back.

“You’re not going to limit me?” Buffy asked incredulously. Spike chuckled.

“Should I be limiting you?” He handed the glass back to her and watched with amusement as she quickly slammed it back.

“Not if you want to live.” She replied with an identical grimace as the one before.

“Ooh, feisty.” Spike chuckled tipping his own drink back.

Buffy waited patiently as Spike poured them each another drink before sitting back in her seat, cradling the tiny glass in both hands. They sat in a compatible silence for a long moment, neither sure of what to say, but neither worried about breaking the silence.

“What kind of music do you like?” Spike asked, rising gracefully to his feet, the inactivity and closeness of the blonde getting to him. He walked over to his sound system, flipping through a stack of CDs.

“I’m not picky.” She replied, sipping gingerly at her shot, unable to control the grimace. Spike smirked in her direction and placed a disk in the player, pushing a button before adding a few more. He grabbed the remote and turned on the player with a flourish.

Loud punk rock blared from the speakers, causing Buffy to jump, her eyes darting to Spike in shock. He laughed at her expression and quickly hit a button on the remote. The lights dimmed as the loud music came to an abrupt halt.

Buffy blinked in the dim light, looking around the room with a shocked expression. Her gaze fell on her companion as the first strains of an old ballad filled the room.

“Dance with me?” Spike asked, holding out his hand to her. Buffy stared at him for a long moment before placing her hand in his, letting him pull her to her feet. Spike took the glass from her hand, placing it on the nearby table and let her to the middle of the room.

Buffy’s hands wrapped around his neck as Spike’s arms snaked around her waist, pulling her softly, but securely against his hard chest. Buffy sighed and rested her head on his shoulder, her breath blowing softly against his neck. Spike shivered at the sensation, pulling her tighter against him, their bodies barely swaying to the music.

Spike’s hands moved leisurely against her back, his adventurous fingers deftly moving the fabric of her shirt up so that they might brush against the softness of her skin. He trailed his fingers over the bare skin of her back, causing her to shiver at the sensation.

The song came to an end and another started in its place, unawares to the couple slowly swaying to a tune all their own. One of Spikes hands moved up Buffy’s body to trail across her arm.. Buffy stiffened, a small whimper escaped her throat causing Spike to pull back, concern etched on his handsome face.

“Luv? You ok?” His voice rumbled through his chest, pulling Buffy from her thoughts. She looked up into the bright blue eyes that gazed down on her with such concern, a sad smile crossing her lips.

“I’ll be fine.” She whispered before raising her head, and brushing her lips lightly over his.
***To Be Continued***