Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank You to DawnOfMe for the superb banner.

Behind every great fanfiction writer there is a great Beta
Buffy could see the walls crumbling around them. If she was going to get them both out of there they needed to move and fast.

“Spike we have to go.”

Spike glanced at the stairs. “Go on, then.”

Buffy realised he wasn’t planning on coming. She couldn’t lose him, not now. “No. No, you've done enough. You could still...” She trailed off, seeing she wasn’t getting through to him.

Spike knew she had to go; he couldn’t quite understand why she hadn’t yet. “No, you've beaten them back. It's for me to do the cleanup.” There he’d made it nice and simple. The last thing he wanted was for her to feel guilty.

Buffy’s eyes remained on Spike. She vaguely heard Faith call out to her, insisting she leave now.

Spike heard Faith’s call. He figured he’d pitch in, trying to get her to go now, before the whole place collapsed. “Gotta move, lamb. I think it's fair to say school's out for bloody summer.” He grinned, damn near tempted to go anyway as she made yet another protest. He had always loved her defiance. “I mean it! I gotta do this.”

Buffy watched as Spike raised his hands as if to stop her approach. She needed for him to know. Buffy laced her fingers through Spike’s, a flame starting, the heat almost unbearable but none of it mattered in that moment. Their eyes locked on each other’s.

“I love you.”

Spike almost kissed her right there. She had said it. All those times of trying to get her to admit something and now she had. Now, when he was dying of all the times. Spike thought for a moment. He knew she wouldn’t leave if he accepted it.

He couldn’t. He wished he could be selfish enough to say he loved her and let himself accept the her love that he’d be wanting for so long, but he couldn’t. He had to make sure she got out safely.

“No, you don't. But thanks for saying it.” Spike felt another tremor go through the floor. The violent shaking caused Buffy’s hand to lose its grip on his. She had to get out of her. “Now go!” he ordered.

Buffy could hardly believe what he’d done. He’d rejected her love. Not that she should be surprised but she didn’t buy it. In that split second, she made a choice. She grabbed the amulet, giving it a sharp tug. It fell to the floor. She grabbed Spike’s arm she pulled him slightly and then they both raced up the stairs only stopping when they realised Spike would find it almost impossible to get out with the sun.

Spike grabbed a blanket they had brought earlier; he gave a nod to Buffy indicating he was good to go. They ran as fast as they could, leaping over gaps of building’s and taking a leap off of one to land on the roof of the bus. They almost went flying off it as Principal Wood slammed down on the brakes.

They climbed off as the bus stopped. Spike rushed inside as the back doors were opened. After about ten minutes, everyone was back inside the bus and all the revealed windows had been recovered as best as possible with the other’s coats leaving Spike still covered with his blanket, slouching down slightly. So Spike sat in the back seat, finally Buffy joined him. They sat in comfortable silence as the others were either tended to or discussed what to do next.

Buffy sighed, turning fully to Spike. “Are you mad at me?” The idea of Spike being annoyed with her for stopping his sacrifice had been nagging at her more then once already. She supposed the best thing she could have done was to ask him.

Spike looked startled as his head whipped towards Buffy. He had certainly been in deep thought. He shook his head as her question registered. “No, Buffy, I’m not mad at you. I was just sure that’s what I was supposed to do; can’t say I’m not still aching from the burns on my hand but still, I’ll be undead long enough to see another day, luv. What about your hand?”

Spike reached for her hand. He carefully looked at it, as he made sure it wouldn’t be too sore. “It’s practically nothing, pet. Slayer healing must be a fun thing to have, yeah?” Spike’s grin was almost boyish with the combination of emotions churning in his eyes.

Buffy gave a nod. “It is the speedy slayer healing part of the package…Spike at the house before I started a sentence, I started saying maybe when this is all over and you cut me off. Do you want me to tell you what I was going to say?” Buffy saw Spike give a nod. “I was going to say maybe when this is all over, we can try and be together. The offer still stands, Spike, you just have to accept it. Or decline it. I just wanted you to know.” Buffy got up, moving to the seat in front, her hand resting on the head rest as she talked to the person in that seat.

Spike watched her as she went. He knew if he needed to, she was near enough that he could grab her and bring him back to him, claiming her lips with his. His thoughts continued racing. Did he actually risk having her and loosing her? If he did lose her, it’d tear him up inside but she wanted to be a couple. Isn’t that all he’d wanted? For her to give him that shot? That chance? It had been, it still was, she could do almost anything now. She could have a normal life. As normal as a slayer’s life could be anyway, and she wanted him! It was unbelievable and yet he yearned to be able to believe it.

His decision was made as his eyes remained on Buffy. He wasn’t one to give up too easily when it came to love. He’d accept her offer. The urge to grab her and kiss her was certainly strong but he resigned himself to waiting until they found somewhere to stay for the night. A smirk spread on his lips for a short moment as he considered how to tell her in very simple terms that his answer was undoubtedly a yes.

Spike almost cried out in joy when they stopped at a motel several hours later. He wasn’t one for patience, and he’d almost let his impatience get the better of him. He’d planned how to tell Buffy in fear of just blurting it out in nervousness, not that he ever would. He just happened to be worried about it happening.


He picked up his discarded blanket and his rucksack. Not exactly the best thing to be carrying seeing as it would probably get rid of anything that was left of his big bad status but he needed his clothes and other items he had packed. Glad the sun had gone down a while ago, Spike made his way in to the motel behind the others.

Spike raised his scarred eyebrow as he found everyone talking to each other, some raising their voices as Giles way apparently trying to come to an agreement with the motel manager. Spike waked up beside Buffy. “What in bloody hell is going on around here?” he asked.

Buffy turned to Spike. “Apparently there aren’t enough rooms available, so some people are going to have to share. I honestly don’t know what they’re getting so hyped up about; pretty easy to decide who to sleep with, ya know?”

Spike shrugged. “Suppose it is, but some people might not want to sleep with others, pet.” Spike waited almost bouncing on the balls of his feet as everyone milled about. Eventually, Giles handed the manager a few notes.

Giles cleared his throat. “Right, well if I can have your attention for a few minutes, we have a slight problem. There are only a certain number of rooms available and some that will have only two or three beds, but a few have just one queen size bed so I suggest you get yourselves organised and partnered. Decide between yourselves who wants which room.”

Giles picked up the room keys as Xander asked if he would in fact mind paring with him, giving him a grateful look as he accepted. Giles had to fight the urge to roll his eyes and Andrew piped up unable to find many other men to pair with. Feeling a little guilty, he invited him to stay in the room with Xander and him. He’d just have to ask for a cot to be set up.

Buffy had given a glance to Spike before calling out that she’d take a room with a queen size bed and that she’d share with Spike. She knew she probably should have asked Spike first but she figured that he wouldn’t mind and if he did then…well she didn’t know what she’d do. She took a key off Giles with a grateful nod.

Spike almost couldn’t believe what Buffy had just done. Was she ever going to give up on surprising him? Of course, it gave him the perfect way to tell her his answer but the fact she had answered for him and that she just assumed that he would share a room with her was making him a little concerned. He went to catch up with her as she started to move back to her backpack. It was time for them to have a little chat.


Chapter End Notes:
Feed my Muse please? You know each bit of feedback is appreciated :)