Chapter 2

Buffy arrived home about an hour later, not surprised to find that Spike was still out. She decided to keep herself busy by cleaning the house up a bit, which took all of twenty minutes. Once she was finished, a knock sounded at the front door. Buffy went to answer it, raising her eyebrows at the sight of Spike’s partner.

“What are you doing here, Angel? Spike isn’t back yet; I thought he was with you.”

The dark haired man shook his head. “There’s been an accident, Buffy. He’s in the hospital.”

Buffy found it hard to breathe after that, one of her worst fears coming to life at hearing those words.


* * * * *


She reached his hospital room, only to stop at the sight of a familiar blonde woman sitting on the edge of his bed.

“Are you kidding me?” Buffy asked no one in particular, causing the woman to gaze up at her.

“Oh, Betty, I see you finally made it. I heard about my Blondie Bear and just had to see if he was okay.”

Buffy clenched her fists at her side, trying hard not to cause a scene. “He’s not your anything, Harmony. Get the hell away from my husband; you have no right to be here.”

Harmony didn’t even seem fazed by her anger, only shrugging in response. “Not like he’ll be your husband for much longer. Besides, I think he would want me to be here.”

Well, that did it. Buffy flung at the other woman, grabbing her by the shirt and tossing her away from the bed. “He’s still my husband, you pathetic homewrecker. You come near him again, and I won’t be held responsible for what I do to you.”

Harmony scowled at her. “You crazy bitch, no wonder he wants to be rid of you. When my Spikey is all better, he’s gonna be really mad that you were mean to me.”

Buffy watched as she stomped out of the room, trying to control her heavy breathing. If they weren’t in a hospital, Buffy wouldn’t have stopped until she beat the skank to a bloody pulp. A soft chuckle brought her back to reality.

“God, I don’t know how much longer I could have pretended to be unconscious, but that was bloody brilliant.”

Buffy gave him a small smile, sitting in the chair next to his bed. “Yeah, well, she had it coming. How are you feeling?”

He shrugged. “Not bad for a man that was shot, luckily it was just my shoulder.”

“I’ve always been afraid this would happen,” she whispered.

Spike grasped her hand in his. “Comes with the job description, but there’s nothing I can’t handle. It’ll take more than one bullet to get rid of me. I’m sorry for ditching therapy again, we can reschedule for next week.”

Buffy shook her head, taking in a deep breath. “I told Tara we won’t be coming back. There’s just no real point in it, Spike. Our hearts are just not in this marriage anymore, why even bother trying to change that?”

“Buffy…” he started, but was cut off by her.

“You don’t need to say anything, but when you get better, we really need to talk. I think it’s long overdue. I’ll stop by later, you need your rest.” She stood, placing a quick kiss to his forehead, then leaving the room.

Spike watched her go, a sad expression taking over his features.


* * * * *


Buffy helped him into the house a couple days later, being careful not to hurt his injured shoulder, which was now in a cast.

“I can’t believe I have to be out of work for about a month.”

She led him over to the couch. “Just be thankful you’re alive, work will still be there.”

He nodded and sat down, resting his head on the back of the sofa.

“I should leave you alone; let me know if you need anything.”

Spike grabbed her arm before she could walk away. “Sit with me for a while, we can have that talk.”

“We don’t have to do it now; you just got out of the hospital.”

Spike shrugged. “Now’s as good a time as any, I’m not going anywhere.”

Buffy let out the breath she’d been holding and sat next to him. “Do you ever think about her?”

He didn’t even need to ask who she was referring to. “Every bloody second.”

“We haven’t talked much since it happened, but I feel like it was my fault.”

Spike shook his head. “I told you, Buffy, nothing was your fault. Bad things just happen, there’s nothing that could have been done about it.”

Buffy wouldn’t accept that. “I was scared, Spike. Scared to death of being a mother, I was nowhere near ready for that kind of responsibility. I think she died because of me, because a part of me didn’t want her enough to keep her here,” she admitted, tears streaming down her face.

Spike felt tears of his own start to form. “Why didn’t you ever tell me that?”

She wiped at her eyes. “I saw how happy you were to be a father; I didn’t want to upset you. I was just hoping it would eventually go away. That I would learn to love the idea of being a mother, but I always had doubts.”

He smiled sadly. “I had doubts, too. I was bloody terrified, but I knew that no matter what happened, we would be great parents. I never once doubted that.”

More tears fell now, and she didn’t care to hide them. “What happened to us? You remember how happy we were? How did we let everything get to this point? Do you even love me anymore?”

Spike was shocked that she could even ask him that. “Of course I still love you, I could never stop. You’ve always been my world, baby. I was just afraid that you stopped loving me.”

She shook her head, sobbing uncontrollably now. “I could never stop.”

“That works out nicely, then.”

Buffy agreed, nuzzling the hand that was caressing her cheek.

Spike took a deep breath before speaking again. “I don’t want a divorce, Buffy. I never wanted that, I just went along with it because I figured it was what you wanted. That you wanted to be free of me, so I was willing to give it to you. My whole life, I’ve never loved anyone as much as you. I’m not about to give up on this marriage. Remember the promises we made? That no matter what happened, we would be together forever. That no matter how much we fought, we would let nothing tear us apart.”

She nodded, laughing through her tears. “That we would grow old together and die peacefully in our sleep, holding hands. God, we were so corny back then.”

He laughed as well. “Corny, yes, but it’s still what I want.”

Buffy gazed deeply into his eyes. “I want that, too.”

Spike snatched up the divorce papers that were lying on the coffee table, still yet to be signed. “Would you do the honors, love?”

She took the papers from him and in one swift motion, tore them in half, throwing the pieces to the floor.

Spike smiled. “That’s my girl,” he claimed, moving closer and placing a soft kiss on her lips. “I love you,” he whispered.

Buffy shut her eyes in pure bliss. “I love you, too. Always and forever.”


* * * * *


“Can I do it, Mommy? Please?”

Buffy smiled fondly at her daughter. “Sure, baby, go ahead.”

The little girl took the flowers from her mother, placing them down in front of the tombstone. “I hope you like them, Sammy. I picked them myself.”

Buffy hugged the girl to her. “She’ll love them, Cassie.”

Spike picked his angel up, only six-years-old and had one of the biggest hearts. A few years ago they finally told her about her sister, ever since then, she kept begging to go visit Samantha. They figured it was about time the two girls were introduced. Spike carried his little girl out of the cemetery, his hand clutching Buffy’s in the process.

Buffy glanced at her daughter, a smile on her face. “So, Cassie, how would you feel about a new addition to the family?”

A giddy expression took over the child’s features. “Are we getting a puppy!?”

Buffy laughed. “Not exactly,” she stated, taking the hand that she was holding and placing it over her belly, noticing Spike’s eyes widen in response.

“Are you sure?” he wondered.

She nodded. “I just found out last week.”

Spike smiled and if he wasn’t holding a child, would have jumped for joy and twirled his wife around. She really did make him the happiest man on earth.

They had a long road ahead of them and not all their problems were solved, but the one thing that would never change was their love for each other. As long as they had that, they could take on anything.

The End


Chapter End Notes:
Yeah, as usual, this came out a lot fluffier than I wanted. Anyway, thanks to those who read and reviewed. It's always much appreciated=)