Epilogue

Willow sat with Bella and Bex out on the back porch. The kids were coloring, and Spike was tapping his fingers on the glass top of the table.

“What’s taking so long?” he wondered.

“I’m sure she’ll be down in a minute.”

“Yeah, but these things…”

“She just wants to be sure,” Willow said with a slow nod. “Hey Dawnie?” Dawn looked up from one of the patio chairs. For the past month, her ear had been virtually glued to her cell phone, since Kyle had grown a brain and decided to call his very pissed off girlfriend. Or ex-girlfriend. They hadn’t exactly decided anything yet.

“What?” she asked.

“Maybe you should go check on Buffy.” Willow nodded toward the house.

“Spike!” Buffy called from upstairs so loudly that she sounded as if she were just inside the kitchen. Spike’s eyes widened and he jumped up. Bex and Bella looked at their dad and then went back to coloring.

Spike took the stairs a bit eagerly, two at a time, and he nearly smacked right into his wife at the top of the stairs.

“Oh!” Buffy exclaimed, as Spike startled.

“Bloody hell, woman! Scared me half to…” She only smiled and nodded, cutting him off without words. “What…” She nodded again, a grin spreading across her face. “You mean…”

“I mean,” she said quickly, taking his hand in hers and pulling him toward the bathroom. There on the sink sat a little white stick, and when she pointed to it, Spike bent down, seeing the two pink lines. They were faint, but they were there.

“That means…”

“It means we’re having a baby!” Spike felt his heart leap in his chest, and he picked up his wife, clutching her to him. God, it felt wonderful this time around, knowing that he was going to be a dad, and knowing no prophecies would come attached. This child had been conceived by two humans. Well, two humans with not-so-human strength, but two humans none-the-less.

“You’re sure?”

“I’m sure,” she said with a nod. “This is happening.”

“How long…”

“I’m guessing a few weeks.”

“London?”

“Maybe. Or right after,” Buffy said with a nod. “It doesn’t matter.” She hugged her husband again, and he kissed her softly.

For a girl who never thought she’d live long enough to have children, it was an indescribable feeling now that baby #3 was on its way.

“I can’t believe it,” he whispered. He’d known about the first pregnancy only very shortly before the birth, so knowing that in about eight months, he was going to be a dad all over again was a very different feeling. “We’re gonna get you into a good doc, yeah? And we’ll set up the nursery. Might have to move your sis and Willow to the living room.”

“Spike,” Buffy laughed, “we have a lot of time to get ready. I don’t want to rush. I just want to enjoy.”

“You’re still going to Slay, aren’t you?”

“Spike, I patrolled when I was eight months pregnant with twins. I think I can handle it.”

“I’ll be there with you.”

“I figured you would be,” she replied with a smile.” She sighed and closed her eyes when he placed his hand on her stomach.

“Our baby’s in there, huh?”

“Yeah, that’s kinda how it works, babe,” she laughed. Babe. That wasn’t a word he heard her use often, but he loved it coming out of her mouth. He loved the way it slipped out without thought, and he loved the blush on her cheek right after she said it.

“Is that so, pet?”

“Mmmhmm,” she said with a nod.

“Think I might need a little refresher course.”

“Oh, I think you remember,” she teased, as his hands moved to her waist, pulling her closer.

“Mmm…maybe I wasn’t paying attention that day.”

“Oh, you were paying a lot of attention. I remember.”

“You sure about that? Pregnancy hormones. They can mess with the brain, can’t they? I read that somewhere…”

“Shut up, Spike,” she laughed, pulling him in again hungrily. When they parted, her green eyes twinkled. “This is scary. Scarier than vampires and demons. Having three kids? One of them a Slayer? I mean, that’s…that’s not puppies and kittens.”

“True, pet, but it’s a lot better. At least with this kind of scary, we know it won’t end in a mess or with a huge clean up.”

“Yeah…says you!” she laughed.

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Oh gee. Let me think.” She cleared her throat and in the best bad British accent she could muster, “Buffy? Pet? Bella’s smells funny. Oh, I forgot to pick up milk at the store. Be back in a tick!”

“That’s the worst impression I’ve ever heard, luv.”

“Yeah, well.”

“And I did my fair share of diaper changes.”

“Uh huh. But you were the best at getting out of them.” Spike hushed her with another kiss.

“I’ll be there. All the time. It’ll be different this time, though. Both of us working.” Both Buffy and Spike had picked up part time jobs, which was nice right now, because both Willow and Dawn were able to help out with babysitting, but it wouldn’t always be that easy, not when Kyle returned and kept Dawn away even longer than her schoolwork did. Not when Willow decided it was time to move on and help expand the Slayer army somewhere else.

“Yeah,” Buffy said with a nod. “We’ll figure it out. We’re good at that.”

“I suppose we should tell them.”

“Right,” Buffy nodded. “But be prepared for lots of arguing over whether it’s a boy or a girl. As if our kids’ fighting has any control over your Y chromosome.”

“Big talk?”

“What? I read ‘What to Expect’ when I was…expecting.”

“Sorry, luv. That one’s not in my library.”

“It is now.” She kissed him and squeezed his hand. As they headed down the stairs to break the news to their kids and to Willow and Dawn, Buffy leaned her head on his shoulder and sighed. “Read up, Daddy, ‘cause we’re about to do this all over again.”

FIN