Chapter 6

The ride to Robin’s place was both quiet and tense. The kids were still pretty groggy, and it wasn’t long before Bella was sleeping against Spike’s shoulder, and Bex’s forehead was resting against the window of the cab.

Spike’s eyes focused on the firm line Buffy had drawn her lips into. He noticed that her eyes darted about the scene that sped by, as if she were anticipating an attack. He reached over, taking her hand in this, and she looked down, seeing the band of his wedding ring glistening against hers. She looked back up at him and gave him that brave smile that was a feeble attempt to reassure him that she was fine, but it was also the same look that told him she was really scared.

It wasn’t long before the cab was pulling up outside of the building, and Spike hoisted Bella into his arms, and Buffy picked up Bex. The tired parents carried their sleeping children up the stairs, while Dawn and the driver handled the baggage.

Once upstairs, Spike gave a slight tap at the door with his foot, and the door opened. They were greeted by the sight of a dozen or so beaten, haggard young women. Buffy raised an eye in surprise when she was certain she heard a slight gasp rise up from the group at the sight of one of two of the only remaining active slayers.

Buffy looked around, expecting to see Willow, but she figured Willow’s flight must have gotten delayed. Too bad she couldn’t just zip in using magic. But that kind of travel was draining, and considering Willow was going to be their most powerful asset in whatever was about to happen, they needed her in top form.

Faith was leaning against the wall, dark circles under her eyes. Buffy immediately moved toward her, and Faith raised an eyebrow.

“You make good looking kids, B,” Faith commented. Buffy could hear the strain in her voice but decided not to question it for now.

“Is there a place we can lay them down? It was a long flight.”

“Sure. Uh, my bed’s free. We can crack the door open in case they wake up and…”

“Faith, they’re five. If they wake up they’ll come out on their own.”

“Right,” Faith said slowly. “Just down the hall.” She led the way, and Buffy and Spike both lay out the little ones on the bed, covering each of them with a blanket. Spike immediately went out to help Dawn with the baggage.

“Where’s Robin?” Buffy questioned.

“Grocery run. He’ll probably be back soon, and then we can get to going to this new, secret place.”

“How are things here?”

“I don’t know,” Faith said quietly. “The girls are scared. They’re trying to train, but it’s pretty hard here. I thought about taking them to the park and training, but I’m sure we’d get some strange stares.”

“Right,” Buffy said with a nod. She looked around, not recognizing any of the faces.

“This is all that’s left, B,” Faith said quietly. “Except for the girls coming in with Andrew.”

“This isn’t good,” Buffy said quietly.

“Yeah, we’re pretty screwed.” A few heads popped up at Faith’s not so subtle comment, and then they sadly went back to their quiet conversations with one another.

“I don’t know what’s worse, B. Losing your power or being the only one with it.”

“Trust me, neither is the way of good.” Buffy shook off the thoughts. “So, any info on the new big bad.”

“Nothing. That’s the problem. It’s like it’s invisible. The vamps that killed the girls…they were your normal vamps. Most of them weren’t even of average vamp strength. But it was a massacre. “ Buffy thought for a minute.

“Maybe there isn’t a big bad.”

“What?”

“Maybe the spell just wore off. I mean, I don’t see that happening, but I guess it could. Or somebody did something. I’m not good with the technical stuff. Still, I think the biggest thing to worry about is that now all the vampires around are going to be zeroing in on us. They’ll find us. They’ll kill us.”

“Unless we can find a way to fix Willow’s spell.”

“Yeah,” Buffy said quietly. “I’m sure she’s looking into it right now.”

“Hope you’re right, B. If we don’t do something soon, you and me are gonna be all that’s left.” She looked around. “What happens if we die? Who’ll be called next?” Buffy felt a chill creep up her spine as she thought of Bella sleeping so soundly in the next room. She hated the thought of her daughter having to go through life as a Slayer, but what was worse was that she might end up being called much earlier than she ever should have to be.

Dawn and Spike came clunking into the place carrying the bags, and Buffy left Faith to help them. I wasn’t long before the new arrivals were settling in with the rest of the group to watch the news, which was currently reporting on the mass murders that had recently been occurring. Of course, the group had done its best to cover up as much of what had happened as possible, but with such a large wipeout, it was impossible to keep it all from getting out.

By the time Robin arrived back to the flat, it was growing dark, and there was no way in hell they were going to be moving to their new location at night, when all the vamps and demons were out and ready to kill. So, everyone laid low, snacking on chips and popcorn, despite the fact that Buffy offered to order something much less healthy but much more tasty. Still, the girls had been surviving on this diet for a few days now, and they were growing accustomed.

***

By the time Willow had arrived, most of the girls were sleeping. Bella and Bex were still completely wiped out and sleeping on Faith’s bed, while she chose to sleep with the other girls on the floor. There was empty sleeping space in the nursery, but she couldn’t bring herself to go in there. No way in Hell. She hadn’t even spoken to Robin that entire evening, and she decided it would be better if she stayed away from him. Talking to him and avoiding the elephant in the room was almost worse than actually talking about it.

So, she was sleeping on the floor, Willow was awake, looking over her books, and Dawn was helping her research. Buffy and Spike, however, had snuck into the room in the very back of the apartment. It was really a junk room, where Robin stored his high school football trophies and boxes from his short-lived term as principal at Sunnydale High.

“She put a protection spell over the building,” Buffy said with a yawn, as she leaned against the wall. “That should hold us until sunrise.”

“Yeah,” Spike nodded. He smirked a little.

“What?”

“Just wasn’t so long ago that you waited for sunrise to avoid me.”

“I didn’t avoid you. In fact, I happen to remember patrolling most nights in the cemetery where you happened to be living. I think I remember passing by your crypt at least once or twice each night.”

“Oh so you were stalking me, were you?”

“No more than you were stalking me,” Buffy admitted with a faint blush. “What? It was fun to catch you off guard, make you squirm. It was even more fun to see the look on your face when I just so happened to stop in.”

“Mmm,” Spike said with a curious nod, “but it was always much better when touching was involved.”

“Touching?” Buffy asked. “You mean like this?” She reached out coyly and grabbed his hand, flashing him a wild-eyed grin that got his heart thumping.

“Even that, yeah,” he admitted. He pulled her against him, his arms wrapping protectively around her waist, and he looked down at her, cocking his head to the side. “Or this.” He pushed his erection, straining against the fabric of his pants, into the apex between her legs. She moaned, slowly grinding against him. This was wrong, feeling this way in the middle of all of this confusion, but God, Spike certainly could ease away the tension for at least a little while, while building up some stronger, much more easily handled tension in the process.

A soft little moan escape her lips, and he pulled her closer, pressing his lips down against hers, softly at first, gently nipping her bottom lip before tracing the softest of lines along her lower lip. She opened up to him, her tongue seeking his, her hands moving up, fingers burying in his hair, tingling his scalp. In one swift motion, he picked her up, and her legs instinctively wrapped around his waist. He spotted an old desk by the wall, and he carried her over to it, setting her right on the edge. His fingers were already working at the button of her pants, while her hands fumbled with his belt. There was no time to take things slow. Not when at any minute, somebody could walk through that door, wondering if the sounds they heard were those of a predator who’d managed to penetrate the protective force field Willow had oh-so-wonderfully conjured up.

“Got to be quiet, luv,” he murmured as his lips left hers and sought out her neck. She closed her eyes, throwing her head back, as her hands finally rid him of the belt and went in to accomplish their mission.

With a little shifting, and with a lot of Spike’s help, Buffy wriggled out of her jeans, and Spike’s fingers clawed at her panties. He noticed they were lacy and black, and he let out a little growl of approval, as he crashed his lips into hers again. She gasped against his mouth as he plunged two fingers inside, feeling how wet and warm she already was.

“Now,” she whispered. “Please. Spike, please….” Her words were lost as she finally freed his cock from a prison of cotton and denim, and she scooted closer to the edge of the desk, feeling his tip at her opening. Spike put his hands on either side of her, leaning into her, leaning her back, and slipping inside her every inch of the way. She bit her lower lip to keep from moaning too loudly, and he realized she was about to break the silence, so he muffled the soft pants and groans with kisses, all the while fighting off the urge not to cry out her name. She pulsed her inner muscles around him, making his world dizzy and his cock harder. She found herself leaning against the wall, as Spike continued to pump inside of her. Her nails clawed at his back through his shirt, and she continued to bite down on her lip, until she tasted blood.

“Oh God, Buffy,” he murmured, as he felt his body starting to tremble. It wouldn’t be long now. He cursed himself for not being able to make it last longer for her, but sometimes, it was so overwhelming that he couldn’t hold on.

“It’s ok,” she whispered, feeling the tremors coursing through him and vibrating through to her fingertips. “It’s ok. I want you to…” He slipped a hand between them and began to rub her clit mercilessly. She arched her back, her hands now clenching the edge of the desk as he thrust into her with the same speed as he circled her clit.

She tightened around him again, trying to hold a moment longer, before she felt an orgasm take over, which in turn sparked Spike to finally let go, and as he came, she clenched around him again, taking in every bit of him. Moments later, he pulled back and slid out of her, and she ran her fingers through her hair, panting, trying to lower her heartbeat, but as he worked himself back into his pants and began to tighten his belt, his ice blue eyes glanced up into hers, and she felt herself tremble a little bit more. She gave him a secretive smile and slid off the desk, pulling her panties and jeans on.

“That was…” she murmured, unable to come up with a word good enough.

“Yeah,” he agreed, pulling her into his arms again. She moaned softly, as a hand trailed up her spine, fingers dancing along the most ticklish areas, but soothing them with soft, massaging circles.

“You should really think about becoming a massage therapist,” she said quietly, “you know, when we get home.”

“You want to talk about work now?” he chuckled, kissing her and pulling back to look into her eyes. She blushed.

“Sorry,” she said sheepishly. She linked her fingers through his belt loops, pulling him closer to her, feeling him stirring again. This couldn’t happen again tonight. They couldn’t risk getting caught, especially by Bex or Bella, who often woke in the middle of the night to use the bathroom or get a drink of water.

Still, it wouldn’t hurt to prolong the moment just a little further. She brought her hands to his face, tracing the rigid cheek bones, feeling the warmth of his skin as her touch seemed to make the blood rush there, as well as to other parts of his body. She smiled, as she felt him harden completely against her when she licked her lips and proceeded to kiss him, softly lapping once at his upper lip before he let her in and pulled her in closer.

“God I love you, pet,” he breathed, as she turned his head and began to suckle at his neck. She slowly backed him against the wall, her hands moving up under his shirt, feeling the sculpted muscles. She was certain he’d not changed a bit since becoming human, except for the fact that he no longer felt like cold marble. He was warm, but still, his skin stretched over his muscles deliciously, and her mouth watered at the thought of those muscles straining as he fought with himself to keep his composure. “Keep doing that, and we might end up breaking that bloody desk.” Buffy laughed against his chest, inhaling deeply to take in his scent. She closed her eyes, relishing the moment, continuing to trace her fingers along the muscles beneath his shirt.

“Maybe that’s not such a bad thing.” Neither of them were paying much attention to anything but each other, so they were both, despite Buffy’s Slayer senses, helplessly unaware of the footsteps in the hall or the fact that their door was slowly creaking open. “Amazing sex on an old oak desk? Definitely of the good. Especially when it’s…”

“Fast and dirty?”

“Mmm…I was gonna go with fast and mind blowing, but that works too.” She grinned as she stood on her tiptoes and scorched his lips with another hot kiss. The sound of a clear throat, however, they did hear, and both turned at the noise to see a familiar face in the door way.

“Uh, hi,” he said lowly. “I just got here, and one of the people I almost tripped over told me this room was empty.”

“Angel,” Buffy said quietly, as she and Spike slowly separated from each other’s grasp. Despite the fact that they were both fully clothed, it was obvious to Angel what had been going on. Her scent was in the air. And must to Angel’s chagrin, so was Spike’s.

“I’ll let you two talk,” Spike said quietly, starting to slip out of the room. It had been years since Buffy had seen Angel, so he figured she’d want this time to talk to him. But, he was surprised when she took his hand and followed him.

“I’m sure Angel had a long flight,” she said quietly, despite her knowledge that he didn’t sleep at night very often and probably slept very well on the plane. Turning back to Angel, she nodded.

“I’m…I’m glad you’re here to help. It’ll be good to have you fighting with us.” Angel didn’t say anything. “Good night.” She followed Spike out of the room and out to see if Willow had made any progress in her research.