Author's Chapter Notes:
A HUGE thanks to my wonderful Beta Lovesbitch91 thank you hun! Also a MASSIVE thanks to Edgehead (Mel) for the awesome banner i love it hun.

It has been so long since i updated this fic and i'm so sorry for that, i was having trouble deciding where i was going to take this fic but now i think i'm more on track with it so again so sorry and i hope you love this chapter.
Chapter 15

Responsibilities.

It had been two months since Riley had left town and Spike had moved in with the Summers women. Buffy and Spike had gone on their first date but it had ended abruptly when Buffy had been hit with a wave of nausea. They had just been seated when Buffy fled to the bathroom where she had spent the next fifteen minutes throwing up. Spike had decided it was better to postpone their date and to take her home.

Morning sickness, the doctor had informed her the next day, warning her it could last up to four months. All women were different though; some never got it at all where others could have it for many months of their pregnancy. Dry crackers and ginger beer was all he could offer her but she found that it rarely helped.

Now she was just over three months pregnant and had been morning sickness free for two weeks, so Buffy and Spike had decided to try their “date” again. The gang had been surprised when Buffy had told them Spike was moving in with her and that they were trying to start a relationship.

Willow, Tara and Anya had all been supportive and understanding, saying if she was happy they were happy. Giles and Xander were different altogether; Giles had worried Buffy was only trying a relationship with Spike because she was carrying his child and was afraid of being alone. but when she had reassured him that wasn’t the case and in fact she had very strong feelings for Spike, Giles had relented and gave her his blessing.

Xander had been slightly harder to convince, saying it was clear Spike had cast a spell on her. She had tried relentlessly to convince him that there was no spell but he wouldn’t listen; he spent weeks casting de-love spells and counter spells before finally realizing that maybe he was wrong. After seeing them together laughing, smiling and simply holding each other he had seen proof that it was real Spike was in love with Buffy. Xander was pretty sure Buffy was in love with Spike, even if he hadn’t heard her say the words yet, and he finally admitted defeat, telling Buffy she had his blessing even if he didn’t like “dead boy junior” as he had put it.

Buffy smiled at her reflection; she couldn’t be happier with her choice of outfit that Willow and Tara had helped her pick out. It was a string strapped blood-red dress that sat just above her knees, black high heels and a black shoulder wrap. She left her hair falling down in waves around her shoulders; Spike had said many times that he loved the way her hair bounced whenever she was walking around.

She was slightly showing a very small baby bump that looked like she was putting on some weight but she wore it proudly. She couldn’t wait to see her little baby at her ultrasound in three weeks. The doctor said if she liked they would most likely be able to tell the sex of the baby, but Buffy didn’t need an ultrasound to know that she felt it; she was having a girl, she just knew it.

Casting one last glance at her reflection, she grabbed her purse and headed downstairs and into the arms of a speechless Spike before they headed out into the night together.

They had enjoyed a beautiful meal at a little French restaurant in Sunnydale before heading to the Bronze. They had enjoyed a few dances together before heading home; all in all it had been a great night.

Stepping out of the Bronze and into the cool night air, Spike held Buffy close as they slowly started to head home when Buffy suddenly realized she had left her purse behind.

“Oh, no- I left my purse inside,” she sighed, feeling silly for forgetting it. She had been having such a wonderful evening that it had simply slipped her mind.

“That’s okay luv, I’ll grab it. Just wait right here; I won’t be a minute.” She smiled, nodding as she watched him heading back into the Bronze, and pulling her wrap around her shoulder tighter to try and fight away the cold.

A woman’s scream filling the once-quiet night air, Buffy turned sharply towards the scream. Wrap slipping from her shoulders, she ran in the direction of the scream. Rounding the corner into the ally behind the Bronze Buffy found a young woman no older then herself pinned up against the alley wall with a vampire closing in.

Moving quickly, her slayer senses going into over drive, she grasped the vampire by the shoulders and pulled him from the girl, throwing him into a nearby dumpster.

“Run home,” she ordered the young woman before turning back to face the vampire who was already getting back on his feet.

“That was a big mistake, Slayer,” he hissed before running for her. Buffy acted quickly, protecting her unborn child and herself, she knew she couldn’t lose this fight. Punching the vampire full-force in the nose, temporarily blinding him, she sent him stumbling back for a moment.

It was all she needed; in a single moment she quickly bent down, grabbed a piece of discarded wood on the ground. As he ran at her again she didn’t hesitate, didn’t flinch, but lifted her hand and plunging the piece of wood deep in to his chest.

“No, the mistake was yours,” she replied as he exploded into a cloud of dust. Brushing herself off, she turned to head out of the alley only to come face to face with a clearly angry Spike grasping her purse and wrap she had dropped.

“What the bloody hell is going on?” he snapped, walking towards her.

“I heard a scream. He was going to kill her, Spike. I couldn’t do nothing.”

“We’ve had this talk Buffy. No slaying until after the baby is born. It’s too dangerous for both of you; you agreed.”

“I did, and I still do. But I was out here alone. If I had waited for you to return the girl would be dead.”

“You can’t save everyone Buffy,” he snapped. She was shocked; a part of her knew he didn’t mean it, the Spike she now knew and deeply cared for would never expect her to just let an innocent die. She knew he was just scared for her and their baby.

“No, I can’t. But I won’t stand idly by and let an innocent die because I’m pregnant. I’m still the slayer Spike. I still have a responsibility to that title and this world… I was careful, I’m always careful… I agreed to let you and the gang take over my nightly patrols and any big bads that pop up while I’m pregnant, but in saying that if you’re not here and I have to choose between saving someone’s life or letting them die I am going to save them.” Running his hand through his curls he sighed. He understood her - he was just so scared of losing her and their baby.

“I’m sorry, luv I’m being a right git. I just got scared when I came out and all I could find was your wrap. I would never expect you to just let someone die. I just want you to be careful, that’s all,” he replied, cupping her cheek

“And I promise I will be.” She smiled, leaning up to kiss him before pulling away gently.

“Let’s get you home pet.” He smiled, placing her wrap around her shoulders and grasping her hand affectionately.


Chapter End Notes:
So?? What do you think?? Let me know!