Author's Chapter Notes:
Buffy & Spike get some distressing information.

A huge thanks to my Beta Pixiecorn (Kelly) for going over this chapter for me, thanks so much hun! Also a huge thanks to Edgehead for the awesome banner.
Chapter 17

Wages of war.

Buffy and Spike sat across from Giles and the mystery man who had yet to introduce himself or even speak a word since his arrival and she found herself growing anxious and impatient. After cleaning all the blood off her hands and changing her clothes she had gone to her room and saw that the bodies had been removed. Heading down stairs she found Giles making tea and Spike helping him but by the look on his face she decided she never wanted to know what they had done with the bodies.

“Can somebody please tell me what the hell is going on.” Buffy sighed wearily, breaking the silence that had filled the lounge room for the past five minutes.

“I believe I can Miss Summers a-and I must say that it is an honor to meet you after all this time." The man smiled in aprraisal. "The tales of you victories are legendary in the council.”

“Who the hell are you? And did you just say the council as in the watchers council?” Buffy started to panic.

“Buffy calm down.” Giles said, trying to calm his slayer as he stood but he knew it was no use, Buffy was already on her feet and pacing.

“Calm down. You want me to calm down… Everytime the council rears its ugly head something terrible happens. I turn eighteen and they lock me in a house with a psycho vamp almost getting me and lets not forget to mention my mother almost killed." She let out a bitter laugh. "Then they show up again during Faiths little body swap and try to kill me AGAIN! I think I have every right to panic.” Giles took a step forward and placed a supportive hand on her shoulder, forcing her to look at him.

“I promise you Buffy. I will not allow them to hurt you in any way.” She sighed, taking a much needed deep breath before smiling and taking her seat.

“My name is Mr. William Robson and I work for the council or at least I did. When news spread of you pregnancy I started to notice inconsistencies in Mr. Travis’s reports." His brows furrowed in confusion. "Secret meetings and such, so I started to dig deeper and what I discovered was shocking.” He informed them.

“Shocking how mate?” Spike chimed in.

“I was able to set up a recording device on one of Mr. Travis' briefcase's and I was able to listen in on a few of their meetings." He glanced down at Buffy's belly. "T-they want to extract the child.”

“Child? As in my child?” Buffy all but screamed, standing to her feet.

“Yes. They believe that leaving it in the care of yourself and William the bloody would be ill-advised.” He replied standing to face her

“Don’t panic huh Giles?” Buffy yelled at him.

Giles stood attempting to comfort her but knew it would be in vain.

“Buffy please calm down, getting worked up isn’t good for you or the baby.”

“Wait, I don’t understand... I mean the council sent the information to Giles about the prophecy they had to know this would happen and besides, Buffy is the best slayer that has ever lived. How would it be ill-advised to leave the baby with her?” Spike interrupted, confused and beyond concerned.

“Well as you know they text was quiet hard to decypher but yes they had an idea that it might mean this but where unsure until Mr. Giles rang with the full translation. They knew they could never stop the child from being conceived, it was after all pre-destined but when Buffy started up a relationship with you they felt her judgment was being blurred and your soul corrupted. It was one thing to date Angelus, he after all had a soul-”

Buffy tensed at hearing the deep growl coming from Spike at the mention of Angel and rubbed his arm reassuringly.

“But to fall in love with a vampire that lacks a soul…”

“You’re wrong. He has more soul then the entire watchers council all put together.” Buffy smiled lovingly at Spike who squeezed her hand in thanks.

“Miss Summers I have seen the change, heard about it from Rupert and I do believe you but they will not. The council is very much black and white, they do not believe in grey areas. They will keep coming. It does not matter how many of them you kill, they will keep coming until they reach their goal.”

“To take our child.”

“Yes and to raise it as their weapon.”

“They have to know that even if they managed to get the baby from me I wouldn’t stop until I got her back.”

“Yes, that’s why they plan to kill both you and Spike.” Buffy gasped and felt her stomach drop. She knew the council had ways for seeing things and that they had no problem getting their hands dirty when needed to but to kill her so that they could take her baby trouble free sent rage boiling through her blood.

“We have to prepare.” She said looking at Spike and Giles, determination written in her features. “'Cause they're not taking my baby from me.”

Giles knew it was going to be a hard road, a war which meant they all needed to be battle ready, including Spike. He just hoped he wasn’t making a huge mistake in what he intended to suggest.

“Spike may I have a word in private?” Giles asked standing from his seat, Spike nodded and followed him into the kitchen.

“What is it watcher?” He watched as Giles began to pace in front of him.

“This is going to be an ugly fight Spike and we will need all hands on deck.” Turning, he met Spikes eyes.

“You know im in. I'll do anything to protect Buffy and our baby.”

“I know you would Spike but these aren’t demons we’re going to be fighting. They're human."

“You're not going to get all moral on me are you? Look, I know how you feel about taking human life but they're coming for Buffy and the baby and I could care less if they are human or not. They try and hurt either one of them and i'll stop them. Even if that means killing them.”

“And I support that 100% Spike I do…”

“Then what is the problem?”

“Your chip, Spike. You bearly got through the fight up stairs and there was only a few of them. I know the council will send an army if they have to.”

Spike sighed looking down, he had forgotten all about the chip.

“There is something we can do so you can be in this fully.” Giles said removing his glasses to clean them. A part of him couldn’t believe what he was about to suggest but he knew it was their only choice.

“I’ll do anything.”

“We have the chip removed.” Spike let out a laugh.

“You think I didn’t try that when they first jammed this hunk of metal and wires into my brain. I did and it can’t be done.”

“Actually it can. Robson is the... was the chief scientist at the watchers council. He has been looking over the records we were able to retrieve from the initiative and he believes he should be able to remove the chip without leaving any permit damage.”

“The let’s do it.”

“I would be a miss if I didn’t express concerns about this.”

“Watcher this was your bloody idea!” Spike all but yelled, feeling himself getting quickly annoyed.

“I know and I have only done so because I believe we will need you in this fight if we hope to stand a chance but what is to stop you from returning to your old ways?”

“That women in there.” He hissed, pointing towards the lounge room. “And that beautiful baby she is carrying inside of her. She is a part of me, my child and I couldn’t bare to lose her and I know without a doubt if I started feeding again, Buffy would take her from me if not kill me.” Giles nodded, hoping he was doing the right thing. It had almost killed Buffy when she had to sent Angel to hell, if she was forced to kill Spike, the father of her child, he knew without a doubt it would kill her too.

“But if you need more I can give more.” Giles head shot up at this.

“What do you mean?” He asked, confused.

“There is a demon in south Africa who grants wishes to those who prove themselves worthy.”

“Proves themselves?”

“Test, tortures of sorts... if you survive you get one wish.”

“What if you lose?”

“I won’t lose.” Spike replied seriously and Giles knew by the look on his face that he wouldn’t.

“What would you wish for?”

“My soul.”

Giles was stunned

“You would do that for Buffy?”

“In a heartbeat.”

“And that’s why he doesn’t have too.” Spike turned to see Buffy standing in the door way.

“Luv….” He started but she quickly cut him off, moving to stand in front of Spike.

“No there is no way to tell how you would respond to having a soul after everything from your past.” Spike cringed, he wasn’t proud of his past and wished he could take it back but he knew he never could. “It took Angel a hundred years to deal with his past and we don’t have that kind of time.” Spike looked down at hearing Angels name again.

“I trust you completely and I know you would never hurt me or this baby that is how I know you would never return to feeding. I see you now, the real you, I have for a while. You faced the monster inside of you and you fought back. You risked everything to be a better man and you can be. You are. You may not see it, but I do. I do. I believe in you, Spike.”

Spike was speechless, moving forward he captured her lips with his own pulling back after a moment he smiled at her lovingly.

“If you ever change your mind and want me to get my soul back I will.”

“I know. That’s why you will never need too.” They smiled at each other, lost in each other’s eyes before Giles interrupted them.

“I’ll make the arrangements.” He said before leaving the two lovers alone wrapped in each other’s arms.


Chapter End Notes:
I know it's been too long since my last update and i'm so very sorry but please forgive me but RL has been crazy for both me and my beta but please let me know what you think.