Author's Chapter Notes:
A MASSIVE thanks to my Beta Pixiecorn (Kelly) your the best Hun. Also a HUGE thanks to Edgehead (Mel) for the awesome banner, I love it!
Chapter 4.

Why would you save me?

Buffy had spent the majority of the evening with her mom, curled up on the couch, eating Ben and Jerry’s while they watched Thelma and Louise.

She took great comfort in her mother’s supportive words, hoping that if she did end up having to sleep with Spike, that her mom was right about him.

Buffy had decided some time later that evening, that it was time to stop moping around and time to get out and see if the gang had come up with any solutions yet.

Upon walking into the Magic Box, Buffy’s steps faltered.

The whole gang was sitting around the table, a mountain of books in front of them. By the looks of things, the mountain of books had doubled in size from earlier that day. Glancing to her right, she could see Giles sitting by himself at the shop counter, her friends briefly looked up at her, smiling softly, before turning their heads back to their books.

Making her way over to Giles, it was clear when she dropped her bag on the counter, that he hadn’t noticed her come in. He jumped, startled by the sound of her bag banging on the glass counter top.

“Oh, Buffy you startled me,” he sighed, slipping his glasses off and giving his eyes a rub.

“Clearly,” she replied, raising an eye brow at him. She pulled up a stool and took a seat across from him, sighing as she met his gaze.

“Sorry… How are you handling everything?”

“Better than before actually. I got to have a one on one with my mom.” Giles looked slightly shocked to hear that Buffy had told her mother the intimate details of the prophecy.

“Oh yes, and how did she take the news?” Giles asked, concerned Joyce would not take it very well.

“Pretty well actually. Don’t get me wrong, she wasn’t jumping up and down for joy, but she was really good about it all. I think she was trying to be as calm as possible.” Buffy replied, laughing softly.

“I’m glad…” Giles smiled. “And it’s good to see that,”

“What?” Buffy asked, confused.

“You smiling.” Buffy smiled again, but her smile soon turned serious all too quickly.

“Any news about the prophecy?” Giles met her gaze, slipping his glasses from his face once again.

Buffy knew that look and with a sigh she readied herself for the worst.

“Well, we have discovered more about the uh, transfer that needs to take place,”

“Let me hear it.”

“It…If it was to happen, it needs to be on a certain night, before a certain time…” he paused. “Three weeks from now on the sixth of September. For the transfer to be successful it needs to happen between 8pm and midnight and not a minute later or the transfer will not be successful,” he explained.

“So why the specific time and date?”

“Well, there will be a supernatural alignment of the stars that will make the transfer possible.”

“This transfer, will it make… the vampire powerless?” Buffy had to stop herself from saying Spike’s name.

“No…” Giles let out an exasperated sigh, “It’s hard to explain. Simply put, the planet will allow for that one night and a copy if you will… of this vampires powers to be made and transferred to you.” He tried to explain as best he could. Buffy nodded in understanding.

“So this power boost. How long will it last?”

“I’m not sure. Days, weeks, maybe even months. There is no way to know for sure and to be honest we’re having quite a bit of trouble with the manuscript. It’s turning out to be more difficult to translate then I had first initially thought it would be.”

“Oh,” Buffy replied, looking down. “I should probably go and patrol,” she said, standing from her seat and heading for the door.

“Buffy!” Giles called, stepping out from behind the counter as Buffy turned to face him.

“Don’t give up. If nothing else, we still have three weeks left,” he said, trying his hardest to sound reassuring.

“I know,” she whispered softly before walking out the door. Giles pinched the bridge of his nose, hoping and pleading that they would find another way.

Buffy had been patrolling for a few hours and had yet to run into a single vampire or demon. With a sigh, she headed for the entrance of the cemetery. She turned left at a mausoleum and ran straight into a hard defined chest. Caught off balance, she quickly regained her footing and slipped into a fighting stance.

“Oh, it’s only you,” Buffy sighed, lowering her stake upon seeing who she had run into.

“Only me? What the bloody hell is that meant to mean?” Spike growled, offended by how disinterested Buffy was at his presence.

“Sorry, it’s just your not really scary now that you’ve been de-fanged.”

“Oi!” Spike’s eyes narrowed. “Not de-fanged, just… temporarily… incapacitated,”

“Of course,” Buffy replied, her voice dripping with sarcasm.

“Think what you please, Slayer. But the second I get think chip out…” he started, only to have her cut him off.

“Your dust in the wind?” He let out a menacing growl.

“Did you just growl at me?” Spike growled again, only causing Buffy to giggle. With a frustrated sigh, Spike said no more and stomped past her and towards his crypt.

Buffy didn’t know why she treated him so badly, she couldn’t help it. Any time she was around him her face would flush a crimson red, her hands would sweat and her heart felt like it would burst out of her chest and instead of admitting what was really going on, she threw insults and threats his way.

Seeing him disappear into the darkness, Buffy shook her head and made her way towards the entrance to the cemetery which was in the completely opposite direction Spike had just stormed off to. She came face to face with a freshly raised and snarling vampire and before she could even think, he had her on the ground, pinning her arms above her head.

Buffy felt fear grip her as he bared his fangs and moved in for the kill.

Closing her eyes in dread, she waited for the inevitable to happen but instead, she heard her attacker scream and a second later a cloud of dust fell over her.

Opening her eyes, Buffy was surprised to see Spike standing above her. He tentatively reached out a hand which she eagerly took, dusting herself off as she rose. She allowed herself a few seconds to comprehend what had just happened before meeting Spikes bright blue eyes.

“You saved my life. Why did you save my life?” She asked shocked, not that she wasn’t grateful he had just rescued her. She was.

“Well, if you die another Slayer comes to the hellmouth.”

“And?”

“Well, I would hate to have to break another slayer in.” He relied, not having the courage to tell Buffy what he was really thinking. “I saved your life because the thought of being without you scares the hell out of me. I love you.”

“I’m not a horse, Spike. There will be no breaking in of…”

“I’m well aware of that, luv. Your way to tiny to be a horse.”

Buffy let out a laugh before turning serious.

“Thank you, for coming back. How did you know I was in trouble?”

“Heard you scream,”

“I didn’t even realize I had screamed…Guess that’s what happens when you get startled.”

“I think you mean scared, luv.”

“That too,”

“You should go home, rest up. I can do a quick sweep before I head off myself.” Spike offered.

Thoughts of her conversation with her mother earlier that day filled Buffy’s mind.

“He’s a good man, and if you really took the time to get to know him, I think you would see that too.”

“You would do that for me?”

“Sure. I’m out here anyway,” he said, shrugging it off as if it was nothing.

“It’s been real quiet tonight so…” she started, but he quickly cut her off.

“Right, no problem.” Spike felt like a fool. What was he thinking? Offering to patrol for her? The slayer would never trust him with something like that, he turned to walk away but the hand on his arm stopped him.

“M-maybe you could walk me home?” Buffy couldn’t believe she had just asked Spike to walk her home. She mentally prepared herself for his laughing rejection, but it never came.

Spike nodded slowly and turned to stand beside her.

“Lead the way, pet.”

Buffy smiled up at him as they headed out of the cemetery together, neither one of them noticing a seething Riley come out from behind the same mausoleum they had been standing in front of whilst talking only seconds before.


Chapter End Notes:
So? what do you guys think??