Author's Chapter Notes:
I hope everyone had a great holiday, whatever you celebrate. I have decided that this story will only be five chapters long, there wasn't much more I could do with it.
Chapter 3

Spike couldn’t believe it as he looked around his new surroundings. He worked at a sodding magic shop. Going from a very prominent lawyer to retail in a hocus pocus store, oh how the mighty have fallen.

“I’m looking for a mummy hand.”

He raised his brows at the woman. “Aren’t we all? I know I’ve apparently worked here for years, but I feel like I’m just starting out. I really don’t know where the bloody mummy hands are. What do you even need it for? Are you part of some cult?”

She was taken aback, anything else she would have said was cut off at the arrival of a furious blonde.

“Spike, the customer is always right, you know this. Go look in the back; we just got a new shipment of mummy hands. If she’s in a cult or needs it to help with orgasms, that’s really not of your business.”

The woman stuttered out something that they couldn’t hear, then hurried out of the shop.

Anya glared at the man beside her. “Well, I hope you’re happy, you just cost me some money.”

Spike watched her stomp away, feeling another migraine coming on.


* * * * *


The only good thing about his new life was coming home to Buffy. He never realized how great it was to have a woman waiting for him when he got home, and not just because she wanted him to shag her.

“Hard day?” she asked him.

Spike sighed and joined her on the couch. “You have no idea. Is this really what I do? Work for minimum wage at a magic shop? How have we been able to survive on my salary? You’re a housewife, it’s not like you’re making any money. There has to be something better than this.” He regretted his words when he saw the hurt expression on her face.

“Wow, tell me how you really feel. Things have been like this for a while now, Spike. You never once seemed ashamed of it.”

He grabbed her arm, stopping her from getting up. “I’m sorry, but I just don’t know how you can stand it.”

She gave him a sad smile. “I stand it because I love you, the money doesn’t even really matter to me. We have a roof over our heads, clothes to wear, food to feed the kids, and a lot of love. Here I was thinking that’s all we needed, my mistake.”

Spike let her go that time, feeling like a complete git for upsetting her. He now realized why he left her all those years ago. He may have told Buffy it was because she wanted a family and he didn’t, but it was mostly because he realized that she was just too good for him. Spike was a bastard, even then, only caring about material things instead of actual people. She deserved better than him.


* * * * *


“Are you sad, Daddy?”

He glanced up at the angelic voice, giving the little girl a smile. “No, baby, I just didn’t have a very good day at work.” The name seemed to come so easily for him as he gazed at the child, only four-years-old, he could see so much of Buffy in her. “Come sit with me for a bit, Kayla.”

She hopped over to him, making herself comfortable on his lap.

Spike helped get her situated, then held her for a while in silence, breaking it after a moment. “You and your sister, you take care of each other, right?”

Kayla looked up at him with her big, blue eyes, and nodded.

That pleased him. “Tara’s really sweet; you lucked out having such a great big sister. I’m an only child, but I’ve always wanted siblings of my own.” He looked down at her confused face. “It’s important that you’re always there for each other, okay?”

Kayla’s answer was to stick her thumb in her mouth.

Spike chuckled, placing a tender kiss to the top of her head.

Buffy watched the display with a smile, maybe he was finally starting to come around.


* * * * *


“You know, mate, I think I’m starting to get the hang of this.”

Danny responded by taking a leak near his head, barely missing him that time.

“Maybe I spoke too soon,” Spike mumbled, cleaning up the mess. Once he had the diaper securely on, he picked the baby up to examine him. “My God, you look so much like your mother. It’s time for all good little boys to get to sleep, so the adults can have some fun.”

“Sometimes Daddy sings to him.”

Spike smiled at Tara, the little girl really did come in handy. “Well, I suppose I could give it a try.” He placed Danny back in his crib, singing a soft tune over him. It was one that his mum used to sing when he was a lad. It seemed to do the trick as Danny started to close his eyes. Spike quietly ushered Tara out of the nursery. “It’s your turn now,” he whispered.

Tara nodded and hugged him around the legs, then took off in the direction of her room.

Spike smiled and did the same, only to find that Buffy was already asleep. He let out a sigh as he stripped himself of his clothing, then joined her in bed. He turned to his side, just gazing in awe at her. “How did I never know what I was missing?” Spike spent a little longer watching her sleep, then soon followed her in slumber.


* * * * *


He was working an extra shift, counting the minutes until he was finally able to leave. Spike took on more hours for better pay, wanting to provide for his family more than he was, even though Buffy said it wasn’t necessary. He smiled fondly when he actually admitted to himself that they were his family, it started to feel so natural to him now. Spike looked up when someone entered the store, surprised to see that it was Faith Lehane. He was starting to wonder more and more about the other woman. She was constantly giving him looks when no one else was paying attention. If she was a friend of Buffy’s, she didn’t really act like it.

“What can I help you with?” he asked to be polite, but was really just curious as to why she was there.

She leaned over the counter, thrusting her breasts forward. “Just thought I would stop by, see if you wanted to get a bite to eat or something. This job must be tiring.”

He gulped and had a feeling she wanted more than food. “I’m still on the clock, so I can’t leave yet.”

Faith licked her lips. “We could go really fast, maybe to the back of the store, if you get my meaning. No one would even know, we can be very quiet. Meet me there in a few minutes, I guarantee you won’t regret it,” she said with a wink, then headed to the back.

Spike got a really bad feeling about that. Maybe his other self wasn’t the perfect husband, after all. It looked like he might have been having an affair with the trollop. Spike took a deep breath, then followed after her. He wanted some answers.