Chapter 5

Spike should have known that he would find Buffy in Sunnydale. She always loved the town and would have never thought about moving, unlike him. The second he graduated college, he couldn’t wait to get out, but things were different now. He was different.

He stood outside her house, getting the courage he needed to knock on the door. After a few more minutes, he finally took a deep breath and knocked, letting it out when the door swung open and he was face to face with a beautiful blonde. She hadn’t changed at all.

She blinked, making sure that her eyes weren’t playing tricks on her. “Spike?”

He gave her a smile. “Hello, cutie.” Spike expected many things, one being for Buffy to yell at him and demand to know why he was there. The last thing he expected was for her to pass out before him. He caught her in his arms, gazing down at her angelic features. “As far as reunions go, I think that went pretty well.”


* * * * *


Spike sat by her side, waiting patiently for her to regain consciousness. He kept himself busy by looking around her house, noticing that there didn’t seem to be anyone else living there. He let out a big sigh of relief at that, his eyes landing on her finger to see that she wasn’t wearing a ring, which earned another relieved sigh. It seemed like he might not be too late after all. A soft moan had him turning back to her, right before her eyes opened to gaze into his.

“It wasn’t a dream, you’re really here. Why? You said you would never come back to this place.”

Spike shrugged. “I realized I left someone very important behind.” He kneeled before her, taking her hand in his. “I was a bloody idiot, love. I know that now. I, uh, had this dream. It felt so real. We were married and had this wonderful life together, with three amazing kids. Tara, Kayla, and Danny, they looked so much like you. I know it took me this long to figure out, but I know now that that’s what I want. I want everything, kids, family, a white picket fence, possibly a dog, and I want it all with you.”

Buffy raised her eyebrows, sitting up on the couch. “How hard did I hit my head?”

He chuckled. “You heard me correctly, Buffy. I know that I have no right to ask any of this of you. For all I know, you could have moved on and forgotten all about me. I would completely understand if you did, but all I’m asking for is a chance. Let me make things right, we can have the life that we should have had all those years ago.”

She held her hand up. “So, wait, you’re saying some dream made you decide to be this completely different person? Spike, it was just a dream. You’re not a family man, you never were. How do I really know that I can trust what you’re saying? We could get married, and then a year from now you could get sick of this life and leave again. My heart can’t take being broken by you a second time. I still love you, I won’t deny that, but I don’t know if I could ever trust you again.”

Spike had supposed she would say something like that, but had to prove to her somehow that he meant what he said. “Let me gain back your trust, Buffy. I’ll show you that this is what I really want. I’ve given up my job, my apartment, everything that I had in Los Angeles. I’ve decided to move back here. Even if you don’t give me a chance, I figured I had the rest of my life to change your mind. There’s no where else I would rather be.”

Buffy couldn’t believe what she was hearing, placing a hand on his forehead. “You don’t feel hot. Are you serious about this? What if I wasn’t even available, you would have given everything away for nothing.”

“I still would have moved here just to be close to you, nothing else matters. You were my best friend, Buffy, the only woman I ever loved. I would give anything to have that back, but I’ll settle with just being in your life. Just being near you would be enough for me; I’ve missed you so bloody much.”

She gulped at the sincere expression on his face, dreading to make her next question. “Do you still love me?”

Spike smiled, pressing his lips to hers in a tender caress. “I love you, baby. I could never stop; there hasn’t been a day that I haven’t thought about you.” He reached into his pocket, pulling out a black box and opening it. “Even if we never get married, I want you to have this ring. It belonged to my mother; I’ve kept it all these years. Before she died, she told me to give it to the woman that would steal my heart one day. I should have given it to you a long time ago, but I hope you accept it now. It was meant for you, Buffy. I never once doubted that. I know that she would be really proud if you wear it.”

Buffy smiled through the tears that were now streaming down her face, taking the ring from him and placing it on her finger, watching as it sparkled in the light. “It’s beautiful, I’ll always treasure it.” She took a deep breath before continuing. “I’m going to give you that chance, Spike, but please don’t make me regret it. My heart can only take so much.”

He pulled her closer, pecking the tip of her nose. “I’ll protect it forever; you have my word on that.”

All she did was nod, letting out a squeal when Spike tackled her to the couch as he smothered kisses all over her face and neck. Buffy giggled, wrapping her arms around him and giving back just as good as she got. It felt incredible having the man she loved back in her life.

He kissed her forehead, her nose and finally, her lips. Not letting her up until she needed to breathe. If he had anything to say about it, Spike would never let her go again. This was it for him. “We’re going to be so happy together, sweetheart. I promise you that.”

Buffy didn’t know why, but she believed him.

One year later, little Tara was born.

The End


Chapter End Notes:
And there you have it; I couldn’t avoid a mushy ending with this one. I’m glad you guys liked it and as of right now, this is my last story. I don’t have any more in store, but you never know when inspiration would hit. Thanks for reading=)