Chapter 2

Spike walked all over town, not sure where he was going. Los Angeles was at least two hours away. He didn’t see himself making it there on Christmas, but he needed to find something to remind him of his life. Maybe this whole thing was just a dream. Either that, or he was officially starting to lose his mind. Spike entered the nearest open bar, taking a deep breath once inside and letting it out at the sight of the woman sitting in a stool. The same woman he met the night before, that had to be more than a coincidence.

“It was you, wasn’t it? You did this to me?”

She turned in his direction, gracing him with a smile. “Are you not happy?”

He would have made a scene if they weren’t in public. “No, I’m not bloody happy. What the hell did you do to me?”

Tracy sighed and led him out of the bar. “You can’t fool me, William. I know you weren’t happy with your old life, no matter how much you acted like you were. This is just a glimpse of how things could have been. You need to realize what’s really important and until you do, you’re not going anywhere. So, I would suggest you get comfortable.”

“Who are you? I didn’t bloody ask for this. You have no right to mess with my life. I want you to send me back.”

She shook her head. “Sorry, no can do. My job isn’t done yet, and neither is yours. You’ll figure it all out in time, but I can no longer help you.”

He rolled his eyes. “Right, because you’ve been such a big help so far.”

Tracy gave him a little wave. “Catch you later,” she said, then vanished out of thin air.

Spike glanced around at his surroundings, wondering if maybe he was losing his mind after all.


* * * * *


He entered the house over an hour later, noticing that all the presents were already opened, and a very pissed off Buffy was now standing before him. Oh, he knew that look all too well.

“Where have you been? We’ve been worried sick about you, I was about to call the police.”

Spike shrugged. “I needed some fresh air.”

Buffy rubbed her temples. “What kind of man would just walk out on Christmas morning? You act all crazy, then you just leave without telling anyone where you’re going? What’s gotten into you, Spike? You missed everything. My special breakfast, seeing the looks on the kids' faces when they opened their presents. You spent all night putting that bike together for Tara and you didn’t even get to see her reaction to it.”

He took a deep breath, suddenly feeling guilty. “I’m sorry; I guess I’m just not myself today.”

“I can’t worry about that now, you need to get ready,” she claimed.

Spike raised his eyebrows. “Ready for what?”

“The Harris’ Christmas party, the same one they throw every year.”

That was the last thing he wanted to do. “I don’t really think I’m up for a party right now, love.”

Buffy threw her hands up in the air. “Fine, I’ll just call my mom to let her know that she doesn’t have to baby-sit since you’re staying home tonight.”

As much as a Christmas party with strangers didn’t appeal to him, staying home with kids that he didn’t know appealed to him even less. “I’ll be ready in five minutes.”


* * * * *


“Hey, man, I heard you did a runner this morning. You feeling okay?”

Spike shook his head; apparently Xander Harris was his best mate in this reality. He couldn’t see himself actually having anything in common with the other man, but he put on a smile. “Yeah, it’s just been one of those days.”

Xander could understand that. He glanced over at his lovely wife, Anya, praying to God that she wasn’t telling their friends about the Christmas present he gave her last night.

Spike looked around the room, taking in the happy expressions of everyone he didn’t know, his eyes soon landing on Buffy. She was talking with a group of women, laughing at something they said. Her whole face lit up when she smiled, that was something he never forgot about her. As confusing as the day has been, it was enough to even bring a smile to his face. Spike turned around, only to bump into another woman. He remembered that Buffy introduced her as Faith Lehane, but she didn’t say much about the dark haired beauty. Although from what he could tell, she was a bit loose, if her low cut blouse was anything to go by.

“Sorry, didn’t see you there. I forgot to tell you earlier, but you look great tonight, Spike. Did you do something different with your hair?”

Spike gulped at the look she was giving him, like she wanted to eat him alive. “Not that I know of,” he responded.

She perused his body, licking her lips in the process. “Well, whatever you’re doing, keep it up.”

He watched as she sauntered away, not knowing what to think of that exchange.


* * * * *


Spike never wanted to have kids, and now he remembered why. The late night feedings, the diaper changing, it just wasn’t for him. His point was proven when he tried to change Danny, only to have the baby piss all over him. He threw the dirty diaper away, looking for a clean one. He turned and saw Tara standing there quietly, not even realizing she was in the room. She remained silent, only pointing out to the clean diapers for him. He nodded and gave her a smile, then turned his attention back on Danny.

“You’re not my real daddy, are you?”

Her soft voice had him turning back to her in shock. “No, I’m not.”

She had tears in her eyes. “Where’s my daddy? Are you here to hurt us?”

Spike shook his head, feeling like an utter ponce. “I would never hurt you, but I don’t know where your daddy is. I’m sure he’s missing you right now.”

“Is he gonna come back?”

He nodded. “Yes, I promise you that.”

Tara smiled, seeming pleased with his answer.


* * * * *


Buffy came out of the bathroom, wearing some silky lingerie.

“The kids are finally asleep,” she said, joining him on the bed.

He grinned. “Is that so?”

“Yep, looks like we have a few hours to kill.”

Spike smashed his lips to hers in a passionate kiss, pulling away when breathing became an issue. “God, you’re beautiful. I’ve missed you so much, Buffy.”

She raised her eyebrows in confusion. “How can you look at me like you haven’t seen me every day? It’s kind of hard to miss me when I’m always here.”

“I don’t know, but it feels like this is all new.”

Buffy nodded and lay back in bed. “Okay, I’m ready to be ravished now.”

It didn’t take long for Spike to pounce.