Author's Chapter Notes:
Be aware of the warning on this chapter.
In Each Generation

The Scoobies were busy placing the supplies that had been gathered earlier back in their places. The Angel's Tears were settled into the hidden cubby where the diaries and files of some of the more well-known vampires sat in the hopes it would not be found.

Tara decided to look again for a spell that might locate Dru and Harmony. Willow pulled out the Diaries of 'Samantha the Vampire Slayer' and 'Ashton the Shunned' hoping for a clue as to when Drusilla was trying to throw time's history off-kilter.

Buffy and Spike were busy trying to work out the best patrol route they could use in a few hours, and Anya was pacing, looking at the clock frequently.

Finally, Anya stopped in front of Buffy who sat at the research table with Spike, still discussing tactics to catch the wandering vampiresses. She crossed her arms and frowned at the pair. "Where is Dawn?"

"I'm sure she'll be here soon, Anya. She probably just got caught up in school," Buffy said, remembering what it was like at 16. Between Slaying and school, she was usually running late for one thing or another.

Willow nodded. "Yeah, or maybe she stopped off to see how Faith was doing. It's on the way."

"She'll be here in a second. I'm sure," Tara added.

All eyes went to the door. They watched it, seeming to will Dawn to come through. The light from the window shone on the small scrapes and the bit of marring on its egdes. They could see the faint wisps of what little dust was in the air pass through the rays of light streaming through the open blinds.

The door opened, and a man came through, ringing the bell overhead. He stopped a moment, noticed everyone staring, and quickly turned around and left without a word to the group circled around the table.

Anya threw up her hands. "And I thought he might actually buy something." She spun and marched to the counter.

Buffy looked at the clock noting it was 3:20. "She usually isn't this late."

~~`~~

Harmony drug Dawn's limp body to the center of the room. The young girl moaned quietly when Harmony laid her down.

Dru watched from against a wall seeing only what the touched vampire could. Her eyes were all but glazed over. She looked around the room, which now glowed from the powerful child's presence. She watched the pixies clap their miniature hands in unison, so proud of the vampire.

Tiny stars twinkled around the unconscious teen, at least from Drusilla's point of view.

The gleaming points of light danced around the room and grazed the dark mistress's cheeks and her neck as they flew by her. Her eyes followed the twinkling around her with great interest before becoming entranced with the rhythm of their strobing.

Harmony watched her sire and waited. Dru would know when the next step was to be taken. They had fasted for one night, and even she was sure she saw something cosmic in the room.

She watched as Dru slid down the wall and sat, still swaying, while her eyes wandered over their shared asylum.

Dawn only lay there, breathing steadily, unknowing.

~~`~~

"You want me to go lookin' for her?" Spike asked, fairly sure Dawn would be ok, but not really wanting to take a chance.

"I'll do it," Willow offered. "I still have a class today. I can go through town and stop by The Espresso Pump and Body Shop on my way.

Buffy smiled at her friend. "Thanks, Will."

"We'll both go." Tara stood up. "I needed to stop at the library tonight anyway."

"Thanks. Both of you." Buffy looked at Spike. "I wanted to double check around that hospital again anyway. If we go now, we might still catch Harm and Dru if they're hiding around that area."

He nodded. "We'll go now. Come back in a bit to see if she's back. If not, we send out the big guns."

"Big guns?" Anya asked.

Spike pointed between Buffy and himself to which Anya gave them an overzealous nod.

"Oh. Yes. Big guns."

Willow put her books in her bag along with her laptop. "We'll call when we see her," she said to Buffy.

"And make sure you tell her I'm deducting this lost time from her pay," Anya said.

Tara grinned then tried to look serious. "We will."

The ladies left and Spike looked at Buffy. "Ready?"

Buffy was still looking at the door the two women had just walked out of. "Yeah." She suddenly had a very bad feeling in her gut.

~~`~~

Michelle walked back to the commons slowly. The faces of Slayers looked back at her from either side. One of Mr. Giles's newly instated projects was to add names to as many of the portraits as could be found. A few had already been added in the short time since he'd gained the position of Head of the Council of Watchers.

He didn't have the name of the line she was related to, just the years of birth and death. If she could find out, she would, but for now the only Slayer she could picture was the one who'd visited them. She was strong and kind and good. The young girl couldn't imagine what it would be like to be a Slayer, but if she could be like Buffy, she could handle it.

Then the color drained from her face. "To become a Slayer, she would have to die."

Her body felt weak instantly. She leaned against a wall and looked over her shoulder to the face looking back. Her own.

In one of the mirrors that shared the wall with the paintings she saw herself. But in her imagination she saw her portrait with her name inscribed below.

The face stared at her. Too young for all of it, but raised to understand the calling. Raised to help she who was called.

She stood up on her own again and continued to the commons. She was somehow both afraid and relieved when she noticed Richard waiting for her. The last bell would have rung an hour ago, if there was still a last bell.

"Hi, Richard," she said without the enthusiasm she usually gave the handsome young man.

"Michelle?" He realized she was unusually melancholy. "What happened? Was Mr. Giles upset with you?" he asked her and helped her to the group of seats their visitors had claimed as theirs during the month long visit.

"Upset?" The young teen asked, confused for a moment. "No. He wasn't upset." She shook her head and looked at the green faux-grass carpeting that lined the commons from wall to wall.

"He was… I have done well in my studies." It was all she could manage.

Richard just stared at her as he sat beside her on the couch, still holding one of her hands between his two. "Then what happened? Is he promoting you already?"

Several of the older teens had been made heads of projects. Mostly because the adults were still having trouble accepting the new order of things and chose to put their efforts towards well-practiced Council issues. Since the two never interfered with one another, it was a good compromise.

"Promoted?" she giggled out. "Promo-" Another burst of laughter hit her and she gripped her stomach. "Promoted. No," she giggled between syllables.

Then she looked at him, and tears formed from laughter soon came out from confusion and she leaned on Richard's shoulder sobbing.

He let her, wrapping his arms around her and trying to calm her. "Michelle? Please. Tell me?" He pleaded.

She sobbed and whimpered in his shirt, not knowing how to say the simplest thing. Knowing there was no way to put it delicately. "The Slayer..." she sniffled and pulled away from him. "I'm next in line." She broke into new tears, but they just ran down her face as she caught her breath. "When The Slayer dies."

Richard sat back in his seat. "You?" His hand came up to his forehead, and he looked back at her as though he'd never seen her face. "You are next?"

She nodded, now wiping her face with the handkerchief she carried with her, the white linen not nearly enough to capture her tears of fear and confusion.

Richard only needed a moment to take in and process the information. He grew stern, trying to use his training. "Don't worry. It'll be ok."

"What'll be ok?" They heard from behind them.

Both turned to see Christian. He stood there smiling until he saw their faces; Michelle's filled with tracks down her face from crying and Richard's looking hard and purposeful.

The still in training magician looked between the newly formed couple. "Goodness. What is happening?"

Richard explained quickly, and Michelle tried to keep her tears in check.

For Christian's part, he sat and listened, making sure they had his undivided attention. When all was clear he looked back at his friend. "Michelle, Richard's right. Everything is going to be ok." He sat on the chair across from her. "Buffy won't die. She's done it too many times already. Besides, last time she did, no one was called."

Richard's eyes widened. "Faith." He looked at Christian. "Faith is out, and she's just been approved to patrol. Mr. Giles was making preparations for me to be her Watcher."

"Well we knew that." Christian said.

Michelle listened as the two most important males in her life, that she wasn't directly related to, tried to assure her. "It will be alright. I just need some time," she said and stood up.

The gentlemen also stood and followed her to the lift.

"I just need a good night's sleep," Michelle said even as she knew it was not true. "A good night's sleep."

~~`~~

Drusilla walked to the center of the room slowly, following the pixies that guided her.

"They tell me." She moved her hands slowly through the air, trying to stroke the creatures that had helped her understand her strange world.

Harmony took the dagger from the collection of items needed to complete Dru's plan, and handed it to the insane vampire as she lowered beside Dawn.

Drusilla took the crystal from Harmony as well and laid it beside the unmoving human.

Next, Harmony came beside Dru with a mixture of herbs and roots that had been pulverized into a powdery mixture that resembled chalk dust and sprinkled it liberally over the crystal.

Drusilla hummed incoherently and dragged the blade over the palm of Dawn's warm hand. The blood pooled over the crystal slowly.

~~`~~

"Nice job," Zeek praised Faith as he scanned the newly stocked shelves of novelty items, a toothy grin showing as he nodded at her work.

"No sweat, boss." An eerie feeling of 'been there, done that' rushed through her, then fell away.

The man who had hired her took a look at his watch. "Looks like you're done for the day."

She smiled. "Cool."

He walked her back to the antiquated time-clock and made sure she understood how to punch out before waving her off until tomorrow. "You have a good night. See ya bright 'n early."

"Yeah. I think I can definitely handle this place's idea of bright and early," she joked, and he laughed. As she walked out, she ran right into Willow and Tara.

"Faith!" Willow blurted rather loudly as she hit the brunette dead on.

The three stepped back and all smiled at the situation.

"Hey, Willow," Faith said after she regrouped. "What's the hurry?"

"It's Dawn."

"Kid in some trouble?" Faith asked.

"We hope not." Tara answered quietly then looked at Willow.

"Did you see Dawn earlier? She's not at The Magic Box and Anya's beginning to go a little… well- "

"She's freaking," Tara finished bluntly.

Faith's brow furrowed. "Yeah, she was here. Came in almost an hour ago." The brunette shook her head. "But she left, saying she didn't want to be late."

"Uh oh." Willow looked back at Tara.

"Look. I'll go back the magic shop, take a peek in the stores on my way back. I'm sure she just found some tricked out clothes and had to try 'em on or something," Faith said, trying to convince them.

"We checked the coffee shop," Tara pointed out, "but we didn't look in the stores."

"It's really not like Dawn to do that, though," The redhead stated. "Not since she washed the glue off her hands anyway."

"We'll keep looking on the way to campus," Tara said.

"Ok." Faith smiled at the two protective women. "Don't worry. It's Dawn. Sister of the Slayer. I'm sure she can handle herself, especially in broad daylight." Faith motioned towards the sun. It was still a few of hours from setting.

"Well she better have a good excuse for worrying us like this," Willow said and crossed her arms.

"I'm sure she does. Go on to class." Faith nodded at them. "I'll take another look around. She'll turn up."

Tara and Willow headed down the street, still peeking down alleyways as they passed them. Faith walked to the store next to her new employ and went in.

No sign of Dawn, and no one had seen her, so she left and looked down the sidewalk, then across the way trying to decide what stores a teen with some spending money might enter.

~~`~~

The crystal was stained with the life giving substance of all vampires as the blood ran over its surface and pooled around it. Gone was the transparent green. Only the glistening of the wetness it was drenched in remained.

Harmony saw the blood running out from the cut on Dawn's hand begin to slow when the shard was fully engulfed. She licked her lips, realizing just how hungry she'd become in the last day. But Drusilla calmed her, as only a sire could.

She whispered of the dreams she'd had of their Spike. How he would come, take care of her if all went well.

So they waited and watched for a sign that it was working. Watched the still form of the girl lying beside her blood.

Watched on still as the stone slowly absorb the blood.

The charmed jewel began to glow an eerie red from its center.

"Dru?" Harmony asked when the light became brighter. "It's working."

The elder vampire clapped her hands in quick succession. "Ooohh. It's almost time to play. Almost time for the fun to begin. Ms. Edith will have her family. We can invite our courtiers." Dru rambled on about their royal court and the welcoming party.

The crystal shone brighter every second. The light now filled the room with a morbidly red hue. The two women watched the blood as it was drawn further into the powerful center of the crystal, until none was left oozing across the floor. Then one final flash of light clapped before the room became dim.

Drusilla carefully picked up the device that would now complete her plan. It was no longer a simple green piece of rock. Now, at its most powerful point--the center--was another formation. What seemed to be a marble turning constantly, but was, in truth, the blood of the key. The pure energy needed to split time and open a deathly portal.

~~`~~

"Th'hell?" Faith said to no one when the windows of an abandoned store rental space filled with red light, then flashed and was dark. She stayed on her side of the street and watched for signs of life past the window. It was soaped out so that no one could see inside, but it wasn't enough to shield an outsider from seeing shadows playing against the opaque surface.

"Someone's in there." She looked behind her at Body Shop, then across the street. "If Dawn had seen that, would she...?" She nodded. "Yup, she would. Sister to the Slayer plus nosey teenager? She'd have to check it out."

Faith double-checked for cars and crossed the street. When she walked up to the window and tried to get a view in, she found it difficult to see anything more than the soaped window. Figures were definitely moving around inside. Two at least.

She tried the front door, but, as she'd expected, it didn't budge. Noticing the alley that ran beside the store, she decided to look for a back door.

~~`~~

Drusilla turned to the back window. "Our first guest has arrived early. She doesn't mind her etiquette," She pointed out, disappointed in her guest's bad manners.

Faith's face soon appeared at the window. It took her no time at all to see inside the dim room. The unmoving form of Dawn was lying in the center, a clump of her hair matted to her face with the blood from a blow to the head. "Dawn!"

Her eyes moved from Dawn to Dru standing against the far wall. "You crazy bitch!"

She didn't even try the back door, just leapt through the window, which had already been cleared of glass, and ran straight at Dru. "You are so-o gonna die." She hit Dru once in the face and smiled as the vampire staggered back. "And I am gonna enjoy every damn punch, you whacked out nut." Another punch to her face, this time the nose. She heard it crunch under the blow.

Dru's hands went up to her nose, now seeping blood. She felt her hands fill with the red liquid and brought them up to study them. "You've upset the evening's engagements," she said calmly and reached out for Faith slowly.

Faith eyed her. "Where's the other one?"

Harmony stood in the corner beside the door, trying to keep out of the Slayer's way.

"She's preparing the honey cakes," Dru said and finally reached Faith's shoulder.
Faith knew what she'd do. Try to get her in a thrall.

Spike and Dru 101 was a requirement for any gal entering Sunnydale. Especially when Buffy was around. Although she couldn't recognize him on sight before this week, Spike was well known, or had been, for his artistic use of his namesake. Drusilla was known for her ability to take over and manipulate one's mind.

Faith avoided eye contact, trying to be sure she kept herself hitting knocking blows, but the avoidance of Dru's eyes caused the Slayer to lose concentration on her punches, and she found herself spun around and being held by the mistress of vampires from behind.

Faith brought her head forward, ready to slam it backwards to hit the vampire in the face once more, but instead she felt two cool hands grip her behind each of her ears.
Her face was slowly brought up to look into the eyes of another familiar face.

"Harmony," she said flatly.

Harmony didn't say anything, just gave her a small smile before tilting her head and looking deeply into her eyes.

Faith struggled. Knew she should have been able to break out of the grip Drusilla had her in, but her strength faltered when Harmony tilted her head the other way. Faith relaxed and looked into her eyes.

"Inside me." Harmony breathed in slowly; Faith mimicked her breath. "Inside you." Harmony let her body sway as the joint trance took hold. Faith, again, followed suit.

"Hmmm." Dru closed her eyes and moved with her captive, enjoying the movement and the soothing feeling that came with it.

Faith was in a haze. She knew she was here for a reason. There was danger here. All around her. She was supposed to protect others from it. She watched ahead of her, and saw Giles, his face smiling, then turning to disappointment. It changed, and she was looking at Buffy... then Joyce, then Spike, then her first Watcher, then her second false Watcher. All shaking their heads in embarrassment. She was such a failure. The false Watcher's face changed to Angel's, then to Wesley's and to Xander's, then Willow's all still with looks of disdain.

Next was Dawn's face, marred with blood. "You can't save anyone. You only kill."

Faith felt the tear fall from her eye and the path it made down her cheek, cooling her skin. Then her skin tingled. She almost knew what was going to happen next and silently prayed to a God she'd only recently thought might exist. "I'm sorry."

Drusilla sensed Faith's darkness, her empty pleadings for something to save her. "I'm afraid you must be punished for your early arrival," she said as though Faith were her charge, then morphed into the demon she was.

She smiled at Harmony, who shifted easily to her demon as well.

Faith, too far gone now, didn't feel the two sets of fangs sink into the flesh of both sides of her neck at the same time; she only felt the cold. The deep cold of loneliness, the cold of death surrounding her. Then she sensed pins pricking her skin everywhere. She wanted to rub the biting pain away but couldn't move. Her strength was gone.

Then Faith felt nothing.

Dru let her human face fall back in place while the dead body of the Slayer fell from her arms. She daintily wiped the corners of her mouth. "Quite a lovely treat." She smiled at Harmony who was eagerly licking her lips.

The blonde vampire looked at the crumpled body of the Slayer and smiled.

~~`~~

Michelle, now showered and changed, settled into her pillows before remembering she had to set the alarm. "No morning bell anymore, either," she reminded herself and sat up. She ran her fingers along the side table's surface until she felt the old wind-up clock/alarm and picked it up.

She quickly flipped the tiny switch to turn the alarm on, then decided she'd better wind it as well. On the fifth twist, the entire back of the clock came off in her hand.

She held the circular piece of metal, now bent out of shape, and looked at her other hand still holding the bulk of the device that split their days into hours, minutes, and seconds.

She shook her head. "No. Not yet." She jumped up from the bed and turned the knob to open the door.

The door was yanked from its hinges. "No! It's too soon!"

Her mind whirled and her stomach twisted as dizziness hit her. She fell in a heap on the floor. No one was there to notice, her mother on assignment. In the hollow dark apartment, she lay.


Chapter End Notes:
I know. I love Faith too. I have my reasons.