Eshana is checking in. Buffy and Spike are unaware that she is looking over them and their frozen world. She sees that Buffy isn’t using her gift for its intended purpose. Follow ups aren’t required of vengeance demons, but Eshana likes to make sure that her customers are completely satisfied, and right now Buffy Summers was not. No wonder Buffy had so much pain; she wasn’t allowing herself to deal with her relationship issues. Buffy’s walls are taller and thicker then Eshana had first thought. She decides that she’ll just have to help move things along a little. With her will she pulls forth a book, an ancient text from an abandoned land. Eshana holds the book in her hands and flips through its aged papers covered in words from a language that has been long forgotten.

“Well that won’t be very helpful,” the vengeance demon says as she runs her hand across the cover of the text. When she opens the book again all the words are in English. “There,” she says as she makes the book vanish from her hands and appear on the dining room table before Buffy and Spike. They don’t notice its appearance, but Eshana knows soon they will be flipping through its pages and once they do they’ll find their answers. Once Buffy has her answers then she can have what she wished for.

--

Buffy grunts as she tosses another book back into the stack on the dining room table. Spike looks up at her sneaking a glance at her frustrated face through his lashes. She has those pouty lips that Spike has always found to be extremely cute. He closes the book that he has in front of him and looks straight at her catching her stare.

“Think maybe we should take a break love?”

She pouts her lips again “no,” she says drawing out the ‘o’ in a childish way and grabs another book from the pile in front of her. Spike gets up from the table.

“I don’t know about you, but I’m feeling a bit peckish myself.”

“I’m fine.”

“Just as well I suppose, if my blood tastes off I’d assume everything else does as well.”

Buffy flips through the book before her as Spike digs through the fridge in search of another packet of blood. He wasn’t sure how long it had been since his last mug. He had no sense of time what so ever. It was an odd feeling not knowing how long they’d been reading or what time of day it should be. As he reaches further into the fridge he sees that they’re out of blood and turns back to head into the dining room. He stares at Buffy reading through a thick old text and knows that she won’t find anything. Willow and the scoobies have read through all of these a dozen times over. There has to be another reason for their situation.

“Buffy… this just doesn’t add up, if we’re supposed to be figuring out how to best the big bad why is it you and I are the only ones…”

“Found it.”

“Found what?”

“Right here it says… the dagger of hope can send The First evil back to its realm, how did we miss this before?”

A look of total confusion crosses Spike’s face as he moves to Buffy’s side. He looks over her shoulder to read where she’s pointing to. His hand is resting on the back of Buffy’s chair. As he leans in close to her Buffy feels the tips of his fingers graze her back. He’s so close to her as he reads that Buffy can’t help but think about what she had really wished for. She knows she has feelings for him, everyone knows, but she still doesn’t know what she wants. So much has happened between them, she doesn’t know if they could ever even talk about all of it, but then again they do have all the time in the world at the moment.

“The dagger must be stabbed into an individual when they are possessed by the First…” Spike reads drawing Buffy out of her reverie. “Well I guess that’s it then, any idea of how to find this dagger love?”

--

“Ugh, this is getting me no where?” Buffy says as she puts her head down on the table in a huff. Spike looks at her with a soft smile playing across his lips. Her golden curls are sprawled across the table as her head rests on the pages of a book. Spike thinks to himself that he would very much like to run his fingers through those curls, but he resists the urge to do so.

“I take it that book doesn’t tell you where to find this mystical dagger trinket?” Spike says and Buffy raises her head to look at him. As she looks up she finds herself staring into his blue eyes. For just a moment all they do is stare, then Spike ducks his head. When he looks back up at her he says “Why don’t you take a break love, it’s not like we have to be rushed.”

Buffy thinks over his suggestion. She doesn’t know how long they’d been reading, but it's been long enough and taking a break sounds like a good idea to her. “Alright,” she says and watches Spike’s face light up just ever so slightly. “What should we do?” she asks him.

--

Buffy sits at the breakfast counter while Spike is fixing her something in the kitchen. She leans her elbows on the island, one arm flat on the counter and the other bent so she can run her fingers through her hair. As the microwave beeps Spike pulls two white coffee mugs from it and turns around handing one to Buffy. Then he props himself up onto the counter next to the sink and sits there leaning against the cabinets. Buffy takes a sip of her hot chocolate and sets the mug back on the counter still holding on to it. Buffy thinks to herself that it does taste funny, but the gesture was so sweet that she doesn’t want to mention it.

“It’s just like mom used to make… even has the little marshmallows,” Buffy says as she watches Spike take a sip from his mug.

“Yeah, well those were always the best part.”

“…thanks.”

“You’re welcome pet.”

“Not just for this… thanks for everything. Thanks for being here.”

“You’d be just fine without me.”

“Maybe… maybe not, but it’s been easier having you around.”

Spike just nods in understanding of what Buffy has said. It isn’t much but it means a lot that she wants him around; especially after… after how things had gone before he left Sunnydale. He knows the soul doesn’t make up for that, but it's good to know that his efforts to make things up to her havn't been in vain. Spike then sets his mug of hot chocolate down on the counter and stands up planning to get more mini marshmallows for his drink, however as he stands he accidentally knocks his mug to the floor. The glass mug breaks into tiny white shards and the hot chocolate spills across the floor.

“Bugger all,” Spike says as he looks down at the mess he’s made.

Buffy and Spike both move to clean up the spilled hot chocolate.

“Here, let me help,” Buffy says as she grabs a roll of paper towel and kneels down to the floor, however she soon realizes that there is only one sheet left on the roll. Spike notices this as well and grabs a pile of newspapers that are lying on the counter. He kneels down next to Buffy and the two of them begin using the paper to soak up the spilled beverage. As they do their fingers touch and they both pause. Their eyes meet as they look up at each other. Kneeling on the floor their faces are mere inches apart and Spike can feel Buffy's warm breath on his face. Buffy’s eyes flutter down to his lips as Spike’s do the same, then Buffy ducks her gaze and looks down at the soaked newspapers. Their moment is broken by what Buffy sees on the wet newspaper before her.

“Spike,” she says getting his attention.

“Uh, sorry love… I didn’t mean to…”

“What? No, Spike. Look at this.”

Buffy pulls the soggy paper from the floor. Both Buff and Spike stare at the Headline title that reads ‘Miracle in Santa Clarita, Hope Dagger relic glows’. They then glance at each other in surprise and bewilderment.

“Well Love, I’d say that solves that problem,” Spike says.