Spike throws a blanket over his head as he and Buffy walk out the back door. Their plan is to take Spike’s Desoto to Santa Clarita. They would have taken Buffy’s Mom’s SUV but Buffy sold it the year before when money got tight. Buffy walks out into the sun first and Spike follows. He’s prepared to sizzle a little. Even with the protection from the blanket he always seems to smoke a little, however once he steps out he finds that he doesn’t burn at all. He doesn’t even feel hot from the suns rays.

“Hold up a second Slayer,” Spike says and Buffy turns around to face him. Cautiously he reaches a hand out from under the blanket into the sunlight. Buffy watches as he does for a moment fearful that he will burn himself, but he doesn’t. Spike looks down at his hand lit by the sun and drops the blanket. It pools to the ground. Spike stands in the sun on this motionless day completely stunned. After a moment of shock he looks up at Buffy.

“It must be the spell,” she says with astonishment.

“Right, everything’s frozen… guess that includes the sun’s shining death rays as well.”

“Makes sense… I mean the wind and everything is frozen, so why not.”

Buffy walks up next to Spike observing him with complete amazement in her eyes. As she gets near its then that he realizes how close to him she is and he finds himself looking into her dazzling green eyes. It only takes seconds for him to become captivated by the sight of her. He raises his hand and runs his fingers through her hair looking at them as they move through her golden locks in the light. Then just as suddenly he stops and drops his hand to his side.

“Right, well… we should probably get a move on,” he says.

--

“Here we are then,” Spike says as he and Buffy near the Desoto while walking through the graveyard. The walk over had been an eye opening experience for Spike. While he’s had a few daytime jaunts over to Buffy’s house, he’d never had the time to really pay attention to the way everything looks in the sun. Even with birds frozen in the sky and the silent town of Sunnydale feeling like a ghost town there is still beauty in seeing it all illuminated.

Hidden in the brush behind his crypt Spike uncovers the Desoto moving the branches that hide it to the side. Buffy moves around to the passenger’s side of the car and gets in as Spike gets in on the driver’s seat. He twists the key in the ignition, but there’s no sound. The engine doesn’t even try to rev. He tries again then looks to Buffy.

“It’s been a long while since I’ve taken this baby out… I think it’s safe to say we’re not getting anywhere in her,” Spike says.

“Great, now what,” Buffy replies and watches Spike’s face change as an idea enters his mind. Instantly she makes an ‘oh God what are you thinking’ Face, but it’s too late whatever he’s thought up is set in his mind.

--

“Spike, I don’t think this is such a good idea,” Buffy says sitting behind Spike on his motorcycle. He revs the engine and listens to it purr. Buffy instinctively wraps her arms around him tighter.

“It’s not like you’ve never been on the bike before pet… besides it runs.”

“Just don’t drive crazy.”

“Wouldn’t dream of it pet.”

They drive off, and while Spike restrains himself from driving crazy as Buffy had requested that doesn’t stop him from driving fast. As his speed increases so does Buffy’s grip around his waist. They move north and for the first time that day feel a breeze as they move through the frozen wind, however in this motionless world it’s barely enough to make Buffy’s hair move. Buffy tightens her grip again and feels the muscles in Spike’s back flex. She thinks to herself how good it feels to be so close to him with only the fabric of their shirts between them. She wants to banish her thoughts about him, but she simply can’t at the moment. She decides just to bask in this good feeling of being close to him for the rest of their trip to Santa Clarita.

--

They had been driving for quite some time, Buffy isn’t sure exactly how long it’s been as the sun still sits in the same location as it had when she woke up that morning. However, she knows that it has to have been over an hour at least. They drive through desert roads and weave between motionless cars as they travel down the highway. Buffy finds herself in total comfort behind Spike on the motorcycle. She’s so comfortable that all thoughts of their mission have left her mind; all that remains is how she feels at the present time. She still refuses to analyze her thoughts and come to a conclusion as to just what Spike means to her, but she’s accepted that at the moment she’s happy being there with him.

For Spike this day has turned out to be more then he ever could have hoped for. Despite their little mission at hand they had a day to spend together away from prying eyes of the scoobies and potentials, a day where the world stood still for them. For the first time in a long time Spike feels like he has the world in the palm of his hand and all that is in it is for his taking. Buffy tightens her grip around his waist once again and all Spike can think about is that he wished this day would never end, and for now it never would.

--

Buffy is lost in a daydream as Spike’s motorcycle pulls to a stop outside the ancient church in Santa Clarita. She had no idea they were even that close. Buffy holds on around Spike’s waist as long as she can waiting until after the bike has come to a complete stop and Spike has lowered the kick stand before she lets go. They move away from the bike and take a few steps toward the church.

“Well pet, I suppose this is it then.”

“Looks like.”

“Shall we?” Spike says motioning for them to enter the church. The two of them walk up the stairs moving past motionless church goers looking like posed manikins and walk through the heavy twin front doors. Inside they observe more immobile church goers sitting in the pews. Buffy looks up at the sun shining through the stained glass windows and then glances around the church. “There,” Spike says nodding off to the left. As Buffy looks in his direction of sight she sees it. Before a small group of people which have gathered kneeling before the relic is the dagger glowing in a warm amber color. It sits behind a glass display case. The slayer and vampire walk up close and stare at it for a moment.

“Looks like its time to get in tune with my inner klepto,” Buffy says a little humorously.

“Once this spell wears off there’s gonna be a lot of blokes raving about this like it’s a bloody miracle… Dagger of hope disappears in thin air.”

“Yeah, well that’s better then duo steals dagger to defeat great evil.”

“Right you are about that… so, you want to do the honors or should I?”

“I got it,” Buffy says as she proceeds to break a hole into the glass container and retrieve the glowing dagger from it. As she holds the object in her hand she feels as if it’s singing to her. She hears nothing, it’s just a feeling that she has. It’s a powerful feeling that this weapon belongs in her hand. “Let’s go,” Buffy says as she looks back at Spike.

--

As they drive home weaving in and out between cars and speeding down the desert roads once again Buffy lets her eyes rest closing them as she sets her head against Spike’s back. The cool barely- there breeze washes over her as they travel and Buffy finds herself at peace. For the first time in a long while Buffy feels like she can actually let herself relax. Through his black t-shirt Spike feels her breath as she holds herself close to him. He feels her chest rise and fall, her heart beat, and her eye lashes flutter close. Spike takes a deep unneeded breath and takes this moment into his memory. Moments like this with her were few and far between and he valued each and every one of them more then he valued his own life.


Chapter End Notes:
Thank you to all my reviewers.