Groggily Xander wakes up. His back hurts, the sun is shining in his eyes and although he isn’t sure what time it is yet he knows it’s far too early for him to be getting up on a Sunday morning. He rubs his eyes and gets off the couch. Coffee, that would make everything better. Xander makes his way into the kitchen to be greeted by a handful of far too cheery potential girls. He gives them a restless smile as he pours himself a cup of coffee then watches as Vi and Molly fight over the last of the cereal. Then Andrew is arguing with Rona over the last of the waffles. Kennedy walks in the kitchen and tries to help break up the arguments but only ends up bringing herself into the it as well. The room grows loud with the voices of annoying teenage girls and Xander finds that he’s starting to get a headache. Then he watches as the box of cereal that Molly and Vi were fighting over goes flying into the air spilling the last of cereal everywhere.

“Okay… time to get Buffy,” Xander says mostly to himself as he sets his mug down on the counter and exits the kitchen.

On his way up the stairs Xander passes Dawn and Willow. Instantly the two women can tell that he’s at the end of his rope and prepare themselves for whatever battle they will soon be walking into in the kitchen. Xander moves down the hall to Buffy’s room. He knocks softly on her door.

Xander knocks… no reply. Slowly he pushes Buffy’s bedroom door open prepared to complain about the irritating potentials who’ve taken over the kitchen. The door squeaks as it opens. Xander gazes into the room and as he does what he was planning to say falls flat on his lips. All he can do is stand agape at the sight before him.

“Buffy, what are you doing?” He blurts out loudly. His eyes are frozen to her naked form lying there beside Spike with only a white sheet to cover them. Buffy and Spike had been asleep, but Xander’s words have woken them. Now Buffy pulls the sheet up to cover herself better as she sees her best friend standing there before her.

“Xander…” Buffy says with a fearful tone. She glances behind her at the vampire who’s wrapped his arm around her waist. When she looks back at the door Xander walks away with disbelief plastered across his face. Quickly Buffy get’s up and throws on a pair of jeans and a tank top and follows Xander down the hall. Within seconds Spike is right behind her pulling his shirt on as he makes his way down the stairs. “Xander wait…” Buffy calls out, and Xander stops at the end of the stairs to face her.

“What Buffy? What could you possibly say that would justify you having sex with Spike?”

“Whoa, Buffy’s having sex with Spike?” Rona says standing in the hall looking on at the three of them.

“Nice job Harris, now the whole bloody house knows.”

Buffy, Xander and Spike turn to see Rona and the rest of the potentials standing in the hall listening in on their conversation. Willow, Dawn and Andrew are also there standing with bug eyes and looks of disbelief.

“Girls… living room, now,” Buffy says as she shuffles all the potentials into the living room and closes the French doors. Then she and Spike follow Xander into the kitchen where Dawn and Willow are waiting standing behind the breakfast counter.

“You’re sleeping with Spike?” Willow questions and Buffy's mind races for something to say. Her first reaction is to deny it but she's been caught red handed.

“No… well yes, but there’s a lot that happened this morning that you don’t know about… Stuff with the First.”

“Oh, I think we all know Buffy,” Xander interjects.

“Shut your gob for a minute Harris and let her talk,” Spike says.

Xander gets right in Spike’s face. The two men stare each other down each trying to impose a sense of authority on the other.

“Buffy deserves better then you,” Xander practically spits out at Spike.

“Right, and you’re the one who gets to decide just what that is,” Spike replies snidely.

“Hey!” Willow calls out loudly at the show of testosterone before her. “This isn’t helping.” After a few final glares Willow’s firm words sink in and Xander and Spike back off.

“Buffy, what’s going on, and don’t lie to me,” Dawn says solemnly.

“Last night before I went to bed one of the potentials came up to talk to me, except that she wasn’t a potential… she was a vengeance demon.”

“Right and she just got you to wish to have sex with Spike again,” Xander says a little spitefully. Buffy's lips thin as does her patients.

“Xander,” Willow warns.

“She was asking me questions about being the slayer and then she started to ask about Spike… I was trying to avoid her questions and I said that I wished I had time to figure things out between Spike and I but I don’t… then today I woke up and everything and everyone was frozen except for Spike and I.”

“Frozen?” Dawn asks.

“Like time had stopped for everyone cept us,” Spike explains.

“So you just decided to use that opportunity to jump Spike’s bones?” Xander asks.

“You know Xander; I could really do without the commentary right now.” Buffy's words are firm.

“Well I’m sorry Buff, but I just caught you sleeping with a murderer… or have you completely forgotten about the things Spike’s done… what he’s done to you.”

“You know Xander you’d think out of everyone here that you would understand.”

“And just what is that supposed to mean?”

“I mean that when Anya was evil and murdering people you seemed to look at things a little differently… she’s done just as horrible of things as Spike has in her past.”

“Right… and when she killed those college boys you just wanted to kill her, but when Spike was feeding on humans you decide to bring him home.”

“I would have killed Spike if I had to; just like I would have killed Anya if I had to… what you forget though is that I didn’t kill Anya. I didn’t because she did the right thing… she’s making amends… just like Spike is.”

“Stop it! Everyone just stop arguing right now… what about the First?” Dawn says loudly interrupting their dispute.

“Dawn’s right… Buffy you said something about the First. What happened while this spell was going on?” Willow asks.

--

Andrew and the potentials sit in the living room listening to the muffled sounds coming from the kitchen. They gossip among each other. Kennedy has her ear up to the French doors but finds that she still can’t make out exactly what they were saying, just that they were arguing and they already knew what about.

“You know if I was the slayer I bet I could hear them talk,” Kennedy says as she walks away from the door and sits with the rest of the girls.

“I knew it… I knew she was hooking up with him,” Rona says.

“I wonder what it’s like?” Molly questions.

“What what’s like?” Amanda asks.

“Doing it with a vampire.”

“Really good I bet,” Kennedy says.

“Spike’s such a badass,” Andrew adds in dreamily.

“He is really attractive… you know, for a vampire,” Vi Says.

“I guess… not really my type,” Kennedy says.

“How is she supposed to protect us from things that go bump in the night when she’s doing one of them?” Rona asks.

“Yeah, but Spike’s different… he has a soul, he’s making amends for his horrible crimes… like me,” Andrew says standing up for Spike.

Gossip continues to fuel the girl’s imaginations as they chit chat in the living room.

--

Xander has calmed down some and is trying just to concentrate on what Buffy has told them about the First and the dagger that her and Spike brought back. He’s still upset; although he knows what Buffy said when she compared Spike to Anya was true. He just can’t admit it. It's easier for Spike just to be evil in Xander’s mind… to be the same Spike they met on parent teacher night, but he isn’t. They’ve all grown and they’ve all changed. Some changes are just harder to accept and to understand then others. Now they all sit around the table in the dining room. Willow has her head in the book that they found the information in while Dawn is holding the glowing dagger in her hand.

“So this dagger of Hope… it will kill the First?” Dawn asks.

“Maybe not kill him, but get him out of our dimension at least,” Spike explains.

“What do you say Will? Can you do a Spell to posses someone with the First?” Buffy asks turning to face the red head.

“Yeah I think so… I’ll just need to pick up some supplies. I can't believe we didn't see this before.”

“I don’t mean to poop the party Buffy, but who are we going to possess… I mean who ever ends up being our guinea pig is gonna get stabbed,” Xander says.

“I’ll do it?” Spike says.

“What? No…” Buffy says.

“Love I’m the only one you’re gonna be able to stab with that thing who won’t die from it.”

“Seems logical to me Buff,” Xander says almost a little too cheery at the thought of Spike getting stabbed.

“… In theory Spike should be fine… well not fine, but he wont die,” Willow says.

Buffy wants to protest, but she knows he’s right. It’s the only way.

“Alright,” Buffy says softly as she looks over the group before her. Willow gives her a small reassuring smile while Dawn seems to still be processing the information that’s come her way in the past hour. Xander seems to be cooling down a bit more and Spike just gives her one of his sympathetic looks.