Chapter 13: Interruptions

“No! I’m not helping you,” Tara hissed, as she and Willow went round and round in their bedroom. Luckily, Dawnie slept like a rock, and Buffy still hadn’t returned.

“It’s just a little spell, Tara. I just want to make sure…”

“What if you mess it up?”

“I won’t!”

“How do you know?” Tara asked. “What if something goes wrong…what if you hurt her?”

“The spell won’t even…she won’t even notice.”

“Wil, you know as well as I do that spells can be tricky, especially when you’re dealing with resurrection spells and…”

“Nothing’ll go wrong. The spell to bring her back didn’t…”

“Then why are you so worried now? If the spell to bring her back worked, why do you even want to try…”

“I just want to be sure.”

“So you’re not sure she’s fine.”

“Tara…”

“You can’t just mess with people’s lives like that. Yeah, you brought her back. We’re all happy. It’s great, Willow, it really is, but how long before one of us gets hurt because you’re trying to make sure you didn’t make any mistakes in the first place?” Tara rarely ever got angry enough to say something like this, but she was fed up with Willow’s use of her powers. She was a great witch, but she could just as easily do something terrible by accident with those powers she seemed to be trying to hone every day.

“Alright,” Willow said quietly. “I won’t do the spell if it’ll make you happy.”

“It would,” Tara said with a nod.

“I’m sorry. I hate fighting with you.”

“Me too.” Tara looked away. Willow reached out to hug her, and Tara softened, hugging back. They shared a soft kiss before Tara broke away.

“I’m gonna go get a shower. You’re going to bed?”

“Yeah. On my way now.” She sat down on the edge of the bed. Tara smiled, and Willow waved her out the door. As soon as she heard the shower turn on, she reached under the bed, pulling out a spell book. She took a deep breath. She didn’t want to lie to Tara, but she needed to make sure. As confident as she was, this was her friend’s life at stake, and if there was something wrong with her, Willow definitely wanted to find a way to fix it.

She quickly rushed around, finding her candles and other things for the incantation, and once she was all set up, she knew she only had a few minutes before Tara would be out of the shower. She had to work fast.

Glancing over the words, she prepared herself for what she was about to do. It wasn’t really a spell that should touch Buffy. It should just give her a feel of what the Slayer had become when she returned from the grave. Whatever had changed might be able to be fixed.

She closed her eyes, letting the words spill forth, foreign to many, but not to her. She knew what she was saying, and as soon as the words began to flow, a charge surged through her, and she could see exactly what she needed to. As painful as it was, she could see Buffy’s death, but more than that, she saw Buffy’s soul plucked out of the throng of souls waiting for their final destination.

She was in Heaven. Willow trembled, realizing that she truly had brought her friend out of a peaceful eternity. As much as Buffy seemed to be getting past it, she didn’t know how it was possible. She could feel what Buffy felt. She could feel everything. It was bound to change a person. And not in a bad way.

She continued to see. She saw the violence surrounding Buffy’s retrieval and her return back to Earth. Her throat closed, as she felt the same struggle Buffy felt in trying to break free from her coffin. She tumbled back on the bedroom floor, her hands clawing at air as Buffy’s had clawed at the lining of the casket.

And then she opened her eyes. She was lying on the floor, and the candles around her had blown out. Her heart raced. Her lungs burned. But now she knew. The spell had worked. It had worked better than any spell she’d ever done. Buffy was still Buffy…only a Buffy who had experienced things that none of the rest of them could say they had. It still didn’t explain Buffy’s feelings for Spike, but at least now she knew that that relationship wasn’t her doing.

The door to the bedroom opened, and Willow heard a little gasp. She sat up quickly to see Tara standing there, and for the first time in a long time, she couldn’t read the expression on her face.

“Tara…I…” Tara said nothing. Instead, she just turned around and walked out of the room. Willow got up to go after her, but on the landing, Tara turned back.

“Just don’t.”

“Tara…baby…I…”

“No,” Tara said, shaking her head. “Just…don’t.” She turned and took off down the stairs, grabbing her coat and leaving, not knowing where to go in the middle of the night. All she knew was that she wasn’t staying there.

***

She’d fallen asleep before he had, but when she woke, he was sleeping soundly beside her. He was so still that it would’ve been frightening had she not known that he was undead.

Rolling on her side to face him, she propped herself up on her arm, smiling as she traced her gaze along the features of his face. His cheekbones weren’t quite so prominent when he was asleep. She rarely ever saw him this relaxed, and she felt a soothing warmth flood through her at the thought that she could break him peace.

Her body ached, but in a good way. She’d never made love with him in such a way before. It was tender and passionate, but it was also intense and emotional. She’d never felt so many things during sex before, and while it was definitely of the good, she couldn’t help but feel a little freaked about the whole thing. She’d never wanted to cry during sex before. She’d never felt that connection with a partner. Not Angel, not Riley…And this connection was with somebody who didn’t have a soul.

She was starting to realize something though. Having a soul didn’t matter when you were a one-in-a-million vampire like Spike. He was nothing like Angel or any other vampire. He had his pros and his cons, but the pros seemed to overshadow the cons in a big way.

She shivered as the cool air surrounding her made her skin prickle. She lay naked next to him, and as soon as she reached out, her hand gently caressing his smooth, cold chest, she pulled a blanket around herself. Spike woke at the feeling of warmth against him, and he peered over to see her studying him.

“If you looked at research books as hard as you’re looking at me right now, you might not need those little Scoobies.”

“Oh…I woke you up?”

“Don’t mind, luv,” he chuckled, turning on his side, propping himself up to mirror her. “You’re cold.”

“I’m ok.”

“Probably shouldn’t sleep here. I’m used to the cold, but…”

“It’s quiet here,” she protested. “And you have blankets. Thanks for that, by the way.”

“Even a vampire needs a blanket every now and then. People think that when you live in a crypt, they can barge in anytime they want, even if you happen to be naked at the time.” Buffy smiled.

“I’ll keep that in mind,” she laughed. Spike smiled back at her, but that quickly faded. He reached out, caressing her honey-blonde locks.

“Why are you here, Buffy?” Buffy furrowed her brows.

“Because you brought me here?”

“No. I mean…still? Here with me.”

“You want me to leave?”

“You know that’s not what I’m asking,” Spike replied, his cold hand gently gliding over her shoulder, running under the sheet and over the curve of her hip. “We both know this probably never should have happened.”

“Probably not,” she agreed. “But I’m glad it did.”

“It’s like a dream. I think I might’ve had this very dream before. The things you do to me…it’s like you’re a different person.” She flinched.

“You can’t die, go to Heaven, be ripped out, and expect to be the same person you were before you sacrificed yourself to make sure thousands of hell dimensions didn’t spill out on this town.”

“I know, but it’s like when you came back, you saw me…more…I don’t know…you just…you saw me.” He cleared his throat. “You treat me like a man. Still…”

“Because you haven’t given me a reason not to.” She didn’t even bat an eyelash as she said it. “I don’t know why I feel this way, but it doesn’t feel wrong. I don’t feel like disaster’s waiting to happen around the next corner. That’s good, right?”

“Sure,” Spike replied, his fingers softly massaging her outer thigh. She looked over her, his body aching for her touch, wanting to touch her in return. But deep inside, he felt the pain of what was inevitable. Losing her. Whether it was death or anger that tore them apart, it would happen someday. “Are you sure this is what you want?”

“I’m not sure of anything,” she admitted. “But right now? No complaints.” She yawned, stretching and rolling onto her back, away from him. She sat up in the bed, the sheet falling off her, exposing her bare breasts, but she didn’t seem to care, because she felt Spike’s cool hand press against her back, rubbing slow, gentle circles.

“Oh God, that feels good,” she moaned, ducking her head down, stretching her neck.

“Lay on your stomach,” Spike commanded softly. She turned to look at him, and he nodded. “Go on. Trust me.” She sighed but didn’t object. She sprawled out on the bed, lying on her stomach, waiting for him to do whatever it was he was about to do. When she felt him crawl over her, a tingle ran up her spine. She closed her eyes, and when his cool hands began to run down the length of her back, his fingers working out the knots she had from training and patrolling, she melted under his touch.

“Oh my God,” she mumbled into the pillow. “I hope you know I’m not going to forget this apparently new talent you have. I get knots. A lot.”

“Don’t hear me complainin’, do you, luv?” Buffy remained silent, letting herself relax and completely fall into a semi-conscious state as he massaged her. He listened to the soft little mewls and moans that came out of her, as she rendered herself completely vulnerable beneath him. He leaned down, pressing his lips against the places his hands had just touched, as he worked his way down her body. She bit her lip, feeling a familiar pooling between her legs, and he could immediately smell her arousal. His tongue danced out, tracing sensual patters as he kissed her, lightly suckling her honey-gold skin.

“You better not be giving me hickeys,” she giggled, though she showed no signs of stopping him.

“How’s this feel?” he asked, his hands moving up to her shoulders.

“Fantastic,” she murmured. “No. Better than that. I’m not sure there’s a word for it, but oh, God, don’t stop.” His eyes darkened, his desire for her growing each time a little whimper of delight sounded from her lips. She felt him hardening against her backside, and she smiled a little.

He felt her starting to shift, so he shifted his weight so she could roll over beneath him. He caught the familiar gleam in her eyes, and she blushed.

“You know, the front side could always use a little massaging too.” Spike let out a little growl, and she laughed, pulling him down to kiss her, as his hands explored her, massing her hips, her breasts, and the sensitive spots that he’d discovered she had in their time together.

He pulled her legs apart, quickly joining with her, holding onto her and kissing the valley between her breasts as she arched her back against the mattress.

“Oh God,” she breathed, her fingers raking at his back. “Mmm…I’ve never liked getting massaged so much in my life.”

“Gotta spice it up a little. That’s all it takes.”

“I hope you don’t expect me to pay you for it.”

“Oh, there are plenty of ways to reciprocate, pet,” he whispered against her lips, moaning when her tongue darted out to taste his cool kiss.

His thrusts became more deliberate, and soon, she was partly dangling over the foot of the bed, her hands gripping the sheet. She looked up, only to see the underground of Spike’s crypt upside down. She closed her eyes, feeling him moving inside of her. She found it hard to breathe, but when his hands moved over her breasts, his fingers flicking over her nipples, she almost forgot to breathe anyway.

He pulled at her legs, bringing her back up so she was lying completely on the bed, and he watched the redness slowly drain from her face. Her hands were on his hips now, pulling him closer, deeper.

“Oh God! Yes!” she cried out. “Please…oh God! Spike…unh!” Her words and her cries drove him on, and he was completely oblivious to the slamming of the crypt door upstairs.

“Spike?!” Came Xander Harris’ frantic call. “ Have you seen Buffy?” Buffy and Spike stopped mid-fuck, and with wide eyes, Buffy scrambled to get out from under him as soon as he’d pulled out. She made an attempt to cover them both with a sheet, figuring it’d be easier if he didn’t see them still in the act of what he’d walked in on them doing.

His legs were already in sight, and in a minute, he was standing at the top of the few steps that were left, peering into the dimly lit basement.

“Spike?” Buffy and Spike exchanged glances. His eyes questioned her, and she shrugged, her own eyes full of horror. “I need to find Buffy. It’s Willow…she called, and I thought I’d find Buffy, because she might be able to...” His eyes focused on a flash of gold from across the room, and he realized that gold wasn’t gold at all. Instead, it was the very blonde hair of his very naked, very embarrassed friend, sitting in bed next to a very naked vampire. “Buffy!”

“Xander…”

“What the hell is…” Buffy quickly pulled the sheet tighter, and she shivered.

“What about Willow?”

“What the hell is this, Buffy?” Xander asked, ignoring her question.

“I…I was gonna tell you. Tomorrow, actually. But that’s not important right now. Xander, what’s wrong with Willow?”

Xander finally turned his back and moved out of sight. Buffy scrambled to pull her underwear on under the covers. Spike quickly helped her get her bra on, and he fastened it behind her. That was about all they could do under the covers. The rest would have to wait until they had more privacy.

“While you were down here fucking the undead, she was getting her heart broken. I’ll be upstairs.” Xander disappeared up the steps, and Buffy looked at Spike, and he wasn’t able to read her expression.

“You alright, pet?”

“That stung a little less than I thought,” she admitted. “I should go…”

“Go on. Willow needs you.”

“I’ll see you tomorrow, ok? We still have to tell Giles.”

“You really want me there?”

“I think if he sees us together…it might make it better.”

“Or worse,” Spike added. Buffy knew he had a point, but she leaned in to kiss him. With that, she leapt out of bed, scrambled to put her clothes on, and hurried up to find out exactly what had happened to Willow.


Chapter End Notes:
Thanks again for your kind comments! Please continue to let me know how you like the story!