Chapter 29: Daddy’s Little Slayer

“I have to say…this is a first,” Dawn mumbled through loud crunches on a handful of potato chips. “A campfire on the beach on Christmas? Definitely not on my list of bad Christmas traditions.” She wriggled her toes in the sand. Jake smiled at her and took another large bite of his third hotdog. The boy was skinny as a rail and just starting to get a little muscle on him, but he didn’t look like he could hold much more food inside of him. But as was the case with most teenage boys, it was a mystery where they put all that food.

Spike was seated in the sand, knees bent, legs open, Buffy sitting between them, leaning her back against his chest. Hank and Spike were fully dressed, but Jake was in his swimming shorts, and Buffy and Dawn both wore their swimming suits. Dawn’s was a blue bikini with a matching sarong, while Buffy opted for the black bikini with a matching sarong around her hips.

“Want a s’more?” Buffy asked, offering the gooey glop of melted chocolate, marshmallows, and graham crackers to Spike.

“No thanks, not hungry,” he said with a smirk. She situated herself between his legs, only to feel something poking her in the backside. She looked over her shoulder at him, her eyes questioning his. He leaned in, brushing his lips over her ears. “Sorry, luv. It’s your bloody fault wearing that skimpy little thing.” Buffy just grinned at him and popped the rest of the s’more in her mouth. “On second thought…” He pulled her sticky hand up to his mouth and licked her fingers. Each newly clean finger popped from his mouth with a resounding smack. Dawn made a face, and Hank cleared his throat.

“Who wants more hot dogs?” he asked.

“Uch, I’m stuffed,” Buffy groaned, placing her hand on her belly.

“Me too,” Dawn replied.

“I’ll take another one…sir,” Jake said, clearing his throat. Hank popped another hot dog off of the stick he’d been holding over the fire. It landed on Jake’s plate, and the teen quickly gobbled it up.

“Spike? Are you sure you’re not hungry? You haven’t eaten much…” Spike had eaten half of a hot dog out of courtesy. But he’d gone through two bottles of beer.

“Don’t have much of an appetite, but thanks,” Spike replied. He whispered something else in Buffy’s ear, and her cheeks turned bright pink.

“I think we’re gonna go for a walk. ‘Kay?”

“Alright, but don’t be too long. I could use some help cleaning this up.”

“Don’t worry,” Buffy said with a quick nod. “We won’t be long.” She stood up, and Spike stood with her, quickly kicking the other half of his hot dog into the fire without anyone noticing. But just before they could turn to leave, a shrill scream startled everyone around the fire.

Peering around, there was no sign of life. The beach was always empty at night. It was L.A. after all.

“Did you hear that?” Jake wondered.

“We all heard that,” Dawn replied, quickly glancing at her sister. Buffy looked around, trying to spot whom the scream might have come from. Luckily for the group, a vampire was amongst them, and with his keen night vision, he quickly pinpointed the area.

“There.” He pointed.

“I’ll be right back,” Buffy said quickly, moving away from the campfire.

“What? Buffy, you could get yourself killed!” Hank warned. “Spike and I’ll check it out, alright?”

“Shyeah,” Buffy muttered, just as another scream pierced the air. “Dawn, Jake, wait here with Dad. Spike?”

“Right behind you, luv.” The two rushed off, and Hank called after them, but it was no use. He started to go too, but Dawn caught his arm.

“She can handle herself, Dad. She’s uh…taking self-defense classes.”

“That doesn’t mean she won’t get hurt,” Hank pointed out. “Stay with Jake, honey. I’ll be back.” Hank rushed down the beach, and Dawn winced. Finally, she started off after him.

“Hey!” Jake called. “Wait up!”

***

“Ow! Bugger,” Spike spat as he turned out of a roundhouse kick to find a fist in his face. He grabbed his opponent by the collar of the shirt and held him up off the ground. He leaned back before delivering a quick head butt.

“Spike! Over here!” Buffy called, waving at Spike as she stepped through a haze of vampire dust. Spike threw the demon at Buffy, and he landed on the pointy end of a makeshift Mr. Pointy. Buffy waved his remaining dust away and knelt down in the sand to comfort the girl.

“Are you alright?”

“I…I think so. What…what were those guys?”

“Nothing you need to worry about anymore. Where do you live?”

“Just over there,” she pointed out.

“Alright. Spike, will you walk her home?” The woman looked at Spike, wondering if she could trust him.

“Who are you?” she finally asked, turning her attention back to Buffy.

“Just a concerned citizen?” Buffy offered. The woman furrowed her brows, but Spike ushered her away, just as the rest of the group came running up breathlessly.

“What part of ‘wait here’ don’t you people understand?” Buffy asked, hands on her hips. Her ripped sarong fell at her feet, and she looked down, groaning. “That was new, too.”

“What happened?” Hank asked, doubling over, hands on his knees as he struggled to catch his breath.

“Uh,” Buffy stammered, “um, mugger. Yeah. Big, ugly mugger. Lucky for him he got away.”

“How many were there?” Dawn wondered, treading carefully on the boundaries of the conversation.

“Just two,” Buffy assured her. But when Dawn’s gaze focused over Buffy’s shoulder and her eyes widened, she felt her stomach drop.

“Uh…ya sure about that?”

Buffy had no time to turn and look or to avert her dad’s or Jake’s eyes, because the vampire was right behind her. He clawed at her shoulder, and she reached around, pulling his arm hard, flipping him over into the sand. Her hand was firmly on the stake, and her arm twitched, as if independently knowing what she was supposed to do. So, instead, she kicked him in the stomach and leaned down to deliver a jaw-cracking punch to his face. Hank stumbled backward a little at the sight of his daughter mid-fight.

But, Buffy let the vampire up, hoping he’d run off. Instead, he lunged for Dawn, who screamed, especially when Jake jumped in front of her to protect her. However, just before his brain could register the danger enough to let out a scream, the strange-faced attacker disintegrated into dust before his eyes.

“Whoa,” Jake muttered, falling down into the sand, completely unconscious. Buffy’s chest rose and fell, and her heart was charged with adrenaline. But when she saw the surprised look on Dawn’s face and the more-than-flabbergasted one on her dad’s, she didn’t know what to say.

“Are you hurt?” Buffy asked Dawn and then Jake.

“I’m fine,” Dawn stammered. “Buffy, I can’t believe you just did that…you know…in front of…”

“What was that, Buffy? What…he wasn’t…”

“He wasn’t human,” Buffy muttered. “Dad, I beg you not to ask me what happened. Just…trust me. Everything’s fine.”

“I don’t know what to…”

“I don’t wanna talk about it right now. Please, just…let’s get back to the house. Then we’ll talk, ok?”

“That was totally awesome,” Jake murmured, standing up and brushing the sand away from his swimming shorts. “That was the coolest thing I’ve ever seen. How’d you do that? And what was wrong with that guy’s face?”

“Uh…it’s been a long night. We…uh…”

“Dawn, your sister’s like…a superhero or something.” Dawn rolled her eyes.

“I think you hit your head harder than you thought. It was just a mugger.”

“No way. She totally dusted that guy. You saw it, right Mr. Summers?” Hank swallowed hard and caught the pleading look of his daughter.

“Uh…it was a mugger, like Dawn said. Buffy did rough him up a little though.”

“Oh,” Jake said, shaking his head and squinting his eyes. He rubbed the spot on his head that hurt from where he’d fell on what must’ve been a rock or a seashell. “Well, it was still awesome.” Buffy felt a little creeped out by the way her sister’s boyfriend was looking at her like she was some kind of marble statue up for display in some ancient museum. He looked at her like…like…She brushed off the thought.

“Come on. Let’s um, let’s go back to the house.” She turned at the sound of shoes on sand, and Spike came jogging back over, running his hand through his slicked back hair.

“So…what’d I miss?”

***

“How’d he take the news?” Spike wondered, as Buffy walked into their room and closed the door. She frowned and padded over to the bed to sit down next to him.

“When I told him I’m the Slayer, he said he heard Dawn call me that.”

“When?”

“A couple days ago when he was eavesdropping.”

“And he didn’t pick up on it?” Spike asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Well, considering he’s human and hasn’t had to come face to face with many demons, that he knows of, he’s never heard of a Slayer. He just thought it was some cool nickname. That’s my dad. Blissfully unaware. Well, he was until now.”

“So what’s he think?”

“I don’t know,” Buffy said quietly.

“Think he’ll keep the secret?”

“My Dad? He’d be too afraid somebody’d think he was crazy and lock him up. He’s not gonna say anything.”

“So, uh, does he know you’re dating a vampire? A very good-looking vampire, if I might add?” Buffy rolled her eyes.

“No. I didn’t want to give him a heart attack. We’re leaving in a couple days, and at least he knows now to be careful when inviting people into his house. Besides…I gave Angel a call, and he’s gonna do a little patrolling and make sure no more vamps come around this area anymore.”

“You called Angel?” Spike asked, shoulders stiffening. Buffy cringed.

“Can we please not do this?”

“So, what’s it going to be? Tea at his place or a quick shag on the…” Buffy smacked the back of his head.

“I didn’t even tell him I’m in L.A. I just told him that I heard from my dad, and he said there were some strange guys with weird faces in the neighborhood.”

“Oh,” Spike said quietly.

“Look at you,” she teased, standing up temporarily just so she could maneuver herself into his lap. “So adorable when you’re jealous.”

“Not jealous, pet. Just…seething hatred for my grandsire.”

“Oh, c’mon,” Buffy urged, nuzzling his cheek with her nose. “You’re not a teensy, weensy bit jealous?”

“Of him? Please!” he scoffed. “How often do I have to remind you that he’s nothing but hair-product, forehead, and teeth?” Buffy rolled her eyes. “But I forgot. You like your men on the toothy side.” He looked away.

“Ha! See? Jealous.”

“Am not!” she insisted, his fingers digging into her hips as she wiggled around on his lap, the friction causing the bulge in his jeans to grow. “Or should I be?” Buffy’s jaw dropped.

“Excuse me?”

“Oh, come on, pet, he’s the forbidden love. The bloody Romeo to your Juliet.”

“Um, huh? First of all, Romeo and Juliet? They died for each other. Angel? Already dead? And I’m not suicidal.”

“So you wouldn’t die for me?”

“Well if your theory about our claim holds true, I’ll have to die for you…if you die, that is.” She kissed his lips, but she felt him sigh against her. “Come on. Don’t be like that. I don’t think about him like that anymore. Of course, when you get all mad like this, I wonder what it might be like to see you two wrestle it out…all oily and…”

“Alright, I get the picture,” he smirked.

“You know I only swoon for bleach-blonde, extremely well-muscled men who are very well versed in the art of the female orgasm.” She smiled, batting her eyes at him, brushing her lips over his. “You know, the ones who can make a girl come by biting her…by…touching her in all the right spots.” She took his hand, guiding it inside of her bikini bottom, and he caressed her damp folds. A little growl escaped Spike’s throat, and Buffy smiled, biting his lower lip.

“When you put it that way,” he murmured, lying back on the bed with her straddling his hips. He couldn’t help but feast his eyes on her toned body clad only in a black bikini. He could see her nipples hardening against the fabric, and he pulled himself up again, pulling down one side of the bikini top and taking a breast into his mouth. She moaned softly, her fingers curling into his hair while his tongue circled her nipple hungrily. “Alright, off with you.” Spike growled a little as he pulled Buffy’s bikini top off swiftly, tossing it over his shoulder. She giggled as he hoisted her up and then tossed her down onto the mattress, expertly sliding her bikini bottom down her long, slender legs.

He undressed faster than she’d ever seen him undress before, and she couldn’t stop the giggle bubbled up when he got caught in his jeans. He stood up and hopped around for a few seconds before he got his foot unstuck. Finally, he was free, and he returned to her, his body pressing against hers, her heat warming him, his chill cooling her. A perfect match.

The way his hands moved over her body made her treble with need. A small pool continued to grow between her legs, and a familiar tingling throb began to torture her.

“Tell me what you want,” he breathed, his eyes fierce but full of desire. He kissed her hard, but she gave back as good as she got and took his lower lip between her teeth. She bit down, and she moaned softly. When she let him go, her eyes were dark, the needful glisten making him harder.

“No foreplay,” she growled, as his hand traveled between her legs, brushing over her soaking center.

“Tell me, kitten,” he urged, making her shudder once again. She gripped his cock in her little hand and pushed him against her entrance.

“Fuck me,” she hissed, letting him go and arching back as he plunged home. “Oh….fuck yeah!” Spike had to suppress a chuckle at her eagerness, and he closed his lips over hers.

“Careful luv,” he whispered between kisses. “Full house tonight.” Buffy grinned, and she flipped Spike over onto his back, placed her hands on his chest, and began to ride him fast and hard. But when she saw her bikini top hanging over a post on her bed, she raised an eyebrow. She grabbed the flimsy garment and immediately put it across Spike’s mouth before secure a knot behind his head. He looked at her with a little bit of surprise, but she bent down to kiss his neck.

“Guess we’ll have to be quiet then.”

***

“Bloody Hell,” he murmured as they lay side by side in the bed, both breathing hard and coming down from near-backbreaking orgasms. Buffy gently massaged a crick in her back, wondering exactly how far she’d arched back during that one. She tasted blood in her mouth from where she’d bit her lip.

Spike twirled her bikini bra with one finger and looked at her.

“You’re the loudmouth,” he finally noted. “Why’d you gag me?”

“’Cause it’s more fun that way.”

“For you,” he smirked.

“Oh, I don’t know about that. You seemed to enjoy it an awful lot.” She crawled over him, folded her hands on his chest and rested her chin there. She let out a little sigh, and he reached up to stroke her hair.

“S’wrong?”

“I don’t know,” she said with a little shrug. “I guess it’s just that when we go back to Sunnydale, we get on with our real lives. Vacations are nice, but as was proven tonight, evil doesn’t take a holiday.”

“That’s all that’s bothering you?” He searched her sparkling, green eyes. “Tell me, pet.”

“It’s stupid, really.”

“What?”

“Well, it’s been nice here, you know? You don’t have to go off to your crypt or do whatever it is you do when we’re not together. We go to sleep together, wake up together…it’s been…nice.”

“Isn’t that what we were doing before this little vacation?”

“Yeah, but…I mean, there was the crypt, and…and sometimes…” Spike narrowed his eyes and watched her grow more flustered.

“Are you telling me you want us to move in together?”

“What? How did you…maybe?” She shrugged her shoulders again and rolled off of him so she could sit up to face him. “I mean, you’re practically there all the time anyway. And, big plus, everyone in the house already knows you’re a vampire. We could…we already have the place vamp proofed, you know.” Spike was stunned. He wondered if the last couple of months had been one big, fantastic dream. She’d said she loved him, she’d let him claim her, she’d introduced him to her dad. Now she was asking him to move in with her?

“You’re sure about this, pet?”

“Well,” she said thoughtfully, “I think so. I mean…we’re practically married…you know, in a mystical way.” She brought her hand up to her neck to prove her point. “This sounded better in my head, you know.” He just stared at her, a silly smile pulling up at one corner of his mouth. “Spike? Say something. Anything tha—” And he kissed her, pulling her down on top of him. He tickled her sides until she began to laugh against his lips and had to pry herself away to get her breath.

“So,” she gasped, a grin spread across her face. “That’s a yes?” Incredulously, he stared up at her. Sitting up to face her, he leaned his forehead against hers.

“What do you think, luv?” And he kissed her again, pulling her back down against the mattress, this time not letting her slip away.

***

“Giles? What…what are you doing here? I thought you had work to do at the Council?” Willow wondered, stepping out of the way to let Giles into her room.

“Yes. Yes, that’s precisely why I’m here. I need your help.”

“Oh. Ok. What do you need me to do?”

“I need you to conjure a truth spell.” He said this with more reluctance than anything. Willow squirmed.

“I don’t…I don’t think that’s a good idea. Those kinds of spells and me? Not very mixy. Besides, why can’t you do it?”

“Because in your time here, you’ve grown exceptionally stronger, Willow. I’ve spoken with your tutors, and they all believe you can do this. I believe that a powerful witch will see better results than a somewhat powerful Watcher. I’ll observe you, of course. I just need this to be as accurate as possible.”

“Oh,” Willow said quietly. “Well, I, um, I could try. What do you need a truth spell for?”

“There’s a girl…Dana…”

“The new Slayer. Go on.”

“Right. Yes. Mr. Travers at the Council swears this drug he administered has brought her completely out of the state she was in when she arrived. She seems not to know anything about the murders she committed, but she’s being taught about what it means to be a Slayer. They want to start training her.”

“Oh,” Willow said quietly. “You’re going to train her?”

“I thought about it, but I honestly think it’s time I go back to the states.”

“Doesn’t the Council have, you know, super-mojo psychics?”

“Yes, but they work for the council, and I’d rather have someone a bit…more trustworthy.”

“Right. Ok. Well, let me get the things I need, and I can come with you. They’ll let me in won’t they?” She began to collect the things she needed for the spell, and Giles continued to talk.

“I don’t see why not. I just need to know it’s safe to leave her before we go back home.”

“We?” Willow asked quietly, eyes widening in surprise. Giles removed his glasses, contemplating his decision, but he turned back to her with confidence.

“Yes. I think it’s time you returned home. If all goes well, you, Tara, and I will be on a plane by the end of this week.”

“Do you really think I’m ready, Giles?”

“Tara seems to think so.”

“She…she does?”

“We spoke yesterday while you were with one of your tutors.”

“Oh,” Willow said, slightly concerned that Tara hadn’t told her about the conversation. “I thought…I thought Mr. Travers wanted Buffy to train Dana. So I thought you would bring her here, and I’d have more time here to…”

“The more I think about it…I…my job is to train Buffy. Buffy’s is to slay. She doesn’t have time to go traipsing off to England to help train another Slayer. There are other perfectly good Watchers out there, and I’ve spoken with Mr. Travers. He’s willing to accept that for now, but he’s still pushing for Buffy’s help. I told him that decision would be up to her.”

“But you don’t see her budging?”

“Not after I tell her that everything’s fine…which is exactly what I hope to tell her once we do this spell.”

“Right. Ok. I’ve got everything. Let’s go.”

***

“She’s telling the truth. She doesn’t remember anything past waking up here,” Willow said with a confident nod as she and Giles stepped out into the hallway.

“You’re sure?”

“I can do it again just to be safe, but the spell worked right. I did it exactly how I practiced with one of my tutors. Everything went right. She really doesn’t know, Giles.” He knew she was telling the truth. He knew the mechanics of a truth spell, and she’d done everything spot on. Still, Willow’s powers tended to go a bit off in the past. That worried him some, but he felt confident in Willow’s results for the moment.

“Well then,” he said quietly, “I suppose that is good news.”

“So, I guess she’s gonna get a Watcher now?”

“I suppose so,” Giles replied quietly. “I’ve requested that Mr. Travers let me pick the Watcher myself. I know who I trust and who I don’t.”

“Good,” Willow said slowly. However, he could tell there was a question ready to burst forth.

“What is it?”

“Well, I was thinking…what if…what if you bring her back to Sunnydale? You could keep training Buffy, and you could train her. It’s not like Buffy needs that much training these days, right?” Giles considered this for a moment but shook his head.

“She needs constant supervision, Willow. I know she doesn’t remember the murders, but…”

“But she also doesn’t have any homicidal tendencies. You were in there when I asked her if she had any…you know, homicidal tendencies…” Willow raised her eyebrows. “I think she’s pretty safe. But, I guess you’re the Watcher. You should decide. But think of the plus side…you could keep an eye on her.” Giles turned back to Dana’s room. “Don’t you trust yourself more than anybody else?”

***

A few days later, the cars were loaded up, and Dawn was practically beaming since Buffy had just given her permission to ride home with Jake, as long as they promised not to make any little detours on the way home.

It was just past sunset, and everyone was standing out in the driveway saying goodbye. Dawn had just said her goodbyes with her father, and now Buffy was the one being hugged. She patted her dad’s back and closed her eyes, wishing for a moment that things were the way they used to be between them.

He finally let go and placed his hands on her shoulders.

“Thanks for coming. I’m glad you…I’m glad you were here.”

“Me too,” Buffy replied quietly.

“If you and Dawn need anything, just call. And please, make good use of the money I gave you. I don’t want you girls to worry about a thing.”

“Ok. Thanks.” They stared at each other awkwardly for a few moments.

“Buffy, I wanna see you again. Maybe I can come visit…I mean, your birthday is coming up.”

“Yeah. Maybe. We can make room if you want to…” Hank nodded.

“Good. Alright. Well, you should be…you know…”

“Right. Bye, Dad.” She gave him another half-hug and headed off toward the car where Spike was waiting. Hank stood out by the garage door, waiting until they left to go inside. And as they waited for Jake to pull out of the drive, Buffy and Spike looked at one another.

“You alright, luv?” Buffy turned her gaze back to her dad and nodded.

“Yeah. Yeah, I think I am.”


Chapter End Notes:
Thanks again for your support! If you're reading, please use the little box below the chapter to drop me a line! I love hearing your thoughts on the story!