Chapter 37: Pitter Patters

Buffy woke on her birthday half-expecting to see her belly swollen to twice its size, but to her relief, she was still as thin as she was yesterday. Spike was sleeping soundly at her side. She smiled a little and she stretched, feeling better than she had felt the past several mornings. She was sure she’d start getting morning sickness anytime.

She picked up her copy of a pregnancy book, which she’d secretly bought yesterday. Today, she was four weeks pregnant. She turned to that section of the book.

“Pregnancy tests can detect pregnancy now…yeah, way ahead of ya,” she muttered. “Breast tenderness.” She sighed. Yeah, that too. With reluctant curiosity, she turned a few weeks ahead to see what she had to look forward to, barring any complications should the baby actually turn out to be a demon. But, before she could read anything, a hand snatched the book away. “Hey! I was reading that!”

“Happy Birthday, luv.” He leaned in, pressing his lips softly against hers. She smiled when he pulled away.

“Thanks.”

“4 weeks today, right?”

“Yeah,” she said, laughing softly. He frowned and looked as if he was trying to recall something.

“Book said the baby’s heart can sometimes be detected at five weeks, but sometimes as early as four.” Buffy raised an eyebrow.

“You read that?”

“Woke up last night to go out for a smoke. Thought I’d do a little light reading. Guess what happens next week?”

“Whoa,” she laughed. “I’ll read for myself, thanks.” She smiled at him. He placed his head against her belly. “What’re you doing?”

“Shh.” She gently ran her fingers through his hair and relaxed against her pillow. It wasn’t long before she felt his shoulders shake against her, and he let out a chuckle.

“What?”

“I hear it, Buffy.”

“What? You do?”

“Just barely. Your heartbeat’s so loud, I can barely hear it, but it’s there. It’s a lot faster.” He smiled and looked up at her. “Our girl’s got a soul.”

“Girl? And…you know, I’ve been thinking about it. Demons have hearts too.”

“Yeah, but demon heartbeats sound different than a human’s. Mark my word, that’s our baby in there. But by all means, wait for Watcher Jr. to tell you.” He shrugged his shoulders. Buffy couldn’t help but smile.

“You’re not just saying that to make me feel better, are you?”

“Maybe partly, but it’s also true.”

“And did our tiny baby who, I don’t think even has a mouth yet, tell you that she’s a girl?”

“Oh, that? That’s just a man’s intuition.”

“Women have intuition. Men just have…” Spike raised an eyebrow. “Shut up.”

“What, you want a boy?”

“I’m still trying to wrap my head around the fact that I’m having anything at all.”

“You are? How about me? At least your goods are still working. Mine aren’t supposed to…”

“They work just fine, Spike. Trust me.” Spike rested his head against her stomach again, and Buffy secretly wished she could hear what he heard. He chuckled. “What? Did she tell you a joke or something?”

“No, your stomach’s growling.”

“Oh,” she laughed. She started to get up.

“Ah, ah,” he said, gently pushing her back. “It’s your birthday. You don’t cook today.”

“Oh, I’m liking today better and better.”

“Stay put. What do you want?”

“Mmm…strawberries and bananas.”

“That’s all?”

“Yeah. Oh, and orange juice. With pulp.”

“I’ll be back.”

“’Kay.” Buffy smiled and stretched out in bed. She placed her hand on her stomach, feeling the butterflies swarming there. She had to call someone. Giles. She quickly grabbed her phone off the nightstand and dialed Giles’ number. After one and a half rings, he answered.

“Hello?”

“Giles!” Buffy chirped.

“Buffy? Is something wrong?”

“No. Geez, you expect doom and gloom with every phone call.”

“Well, I haven’t exactly received a call worth celebrating recently.” She decided to ignore those words.

“Spike heard the heartbeat.”

“He what?”

“He heard the baby’s heartbeat. It’s got a heartbeat. A soul.”

“Oh…I see. There’s still the matter of it being human…”

“Spike says there’s a difference in the heartbeats. Demons have different heartbeats.”

“Yes, there is a slight difference.”

“Giles, I think it’s safe to say this baby’s human. I mean, we know it’s not trying to kill me. I’m not, you know, getting bigger by the day. The baby has a pulse.”

“All signs would indicate that it’s human, yes,” Giles said uncertainly.

“Why do you sound so disappointed?”

“I’m not disappointed. I’m only thinking cautiously.” Buffy sighed heavily.

“Giles, I know you’re worried, but stop, ok? I feel fine. I’m a little freaked, still, but I don’t feel like there’s some demon spawn trying to claw its way out of me.”

“Buffy, I just want you to be careful.”

“Giles, I am being careful. I’m completely full of care.” She sighed. “You’re coming over tonight, right?”

“Of course. Buffy, I don’t mean to upset you.”

“You didn’t. I know you’re worried about me, but you don’t have to be. I’m fine. And the baby’s fine. And it’s human.”

“Wesley will be in town in a few more weeks, and he’ll be able to tell you for certain.”

“Good. But I already know. It’ll be nice to have confirmation though. I have to go, Giles. See you later.”

“Alright. Happy Birthday, Buffy.”

“Thanks. Bye.” She hung up and frowned. Then, biting her lower lip, she picked up the phone again and dialed a different number.

“Hello?”

“Wesley, it’s Buffy. Is it ok to talk?”

“Of course. I’m alone.”

“Good. I have news. Spike heard the baby’s heartbeat today.”

“He heard…”

“Super vampire hearing, remember?”

“Of course,” Wesley said, dumbfounded. “He heard a heartbeat? What did he say?”

“He said it was definitely human. Apparently there’s a little difference in the way a human’s heart beats compared to a demon.”

“Just a slight difference, and Spike having had plenty of experience with demons in the past, he should know. You trust him?”

“Huh? Of course I trust him, Wes.”

“Right. Well, I’ll still come by to follow up, and if the tests come back that the child is human, then you should probably proceed with going to a regular obstetrician. I really only have knowledge in determining origins of pregnancies.”

“Well, yeah. I wasn’t gonna drive to L.A. to have you look at my…stuff every month anyway.” She cleared her throat. “Thanks for your help, Wesley. You…you didn’t tell Angel, did you?”

“Of course not. Angel has his own…things to deal with right now.”

“He’s ok, isn’t he?”

“Everything’s fine, Buffy. No need to worry. I’ll see you in a few weeks.”

“Ok. Thanks, Wes.” She hung up and placed her hand on her stomach. “I know Spike’s right. I know you’re human. I just don’t know how we’re gonna do this.” She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. “We’ll make it work.”

***

“What’d you get her?” Willow asked as she poured over books at the Magic Box.

“I had trouble trying to buy for her this year. I mean, I almost feel like we should get her things that Spike would want too. I mean, it’s like they’re married,” Xander said quietly, tapping his fingers on the table.

“They’re not married,” Anya pointed out. “Not legally.”

“But mystically,” Tara said with a gentle shrug, “they sort of are.”

“Either way, Buffy’s birthday. Not Spike’s. I got her that flowy peasant top she was eyeing at the mall,” Willow pointed out with a smile.

“I got her some bath salts. Every girl likes to feel pampered and womanly,” Anya suggested. “Oh, and I slipped in some sensual oils for when she has sex with Spike.” Dawn, who was in the back checking out a book she probably wasn’t supposed to be looking at, let out a laugh. “What? They have sex a lot. It’s natural. Xander and I have lots of sex. I read in magazines that sometimes people stop having sex after they’re married. Xander, we’re getting married in two weeks. We’ll still have lots of sex, right?”

“So, Tara! What’d you get the Buffster?” Xander asked, anxiously trying to stop his fiancée from speaking any further.

“Um…I picked up some scented candles. At least she’ll have something to light when she’s relaxing with Anya’s bath salts.”

“What do you think Spike’s giving her?” Dawn wondered, coming up to the table. “He wouldn’t tell me anything.”

“I’m sure he’s giving her something right now,” Anya pointed out. Xander made a face.

“Sweetie, when did you turn into a mind-in-the-gutter sixteen-year-old boy?” Anya shrugged. When the door to the training room opened, and Giles came out with Dana, everyone turned their attention toward them.

“How goes the training?” Dawn wondered.

“Good. Giles just helped me balance one handed on the Pommel horse.” She shook out her wrist. “Kinda hurts.”

“Yeah…that always hurts, you know, if you’re not used to it,” Xander offered, obviously having no idea what that felt like. His balance was less than stellar.

All eyes turned to the front door when the bell rang, and in stepped an uptight looking fellow clad in something that could only be described as Watcher Wear.

“May I help you?” Giles asked from across the room.

“My name is Dr. Andrew Ownes. Mr. Travers sent me.” Everyone glanced at Giles for verification.

“I know who you are,” he said slowly, not taking his eyes off the man. “You work for the council. You’re a psychiatrist.” Dana immediately tensed.

“Not to worry, Dana. Mr. Travers sent me here especially for you.”

“I’m fine,” she bit out quickly.

“Yes, well he’s only worried that all of your needs aren’t being met. He sent me to talk to you. It’s a free service for you, Miss.” Everyone glanced at each other with surprise. “Mr. Travers asked that I tell you that it might be better to talk to somebody about your memories.”

“Dana, you don’t have to go with him,” Giles assured him. She was still tense in the shoulders, but she turned to her Watcher.

“It’s ok, Giles. I think…maybe it’ll help?” Giles cleared his throat and nodded.

“You can use the training room. Buffy won’t be coming in today.” Dr. Owens nodded his thanks, and he headed into the back with a nervous Dana. When the door closed, Xander spoke for the group.

“Did anybody else just get the ultimate wiggins from that guy?”

***

Later in the afternoon, Buffy came down the stairs to find Spike watching Passions on the TV. She rolled her eyes but moved to sit next to him.

“Anyone call while I was in the shower?” Spike knew who she was asking about, and he hated breaking the news to her.

“Sorry, pet. Nobody’s called.”

“Oh. It’s ok.” She really sucked at hiding her disappointment.

“Day’s still young, pet.”

“No. It’s ok, really. My Dad’s got other things to do, you know?”

“No, I don’t know. He can take time out of his bloody schedule to call his daughter.” He started to get up and move toward the phone.

“Uh, what are you doing?”

“I’m gonna call him and give him a piece of my mind.”

“Spike, step away from the phone.” She tugged him back down onto the couch with her. “I can’t make my dad have a relationship with me. It’s ok. Really.”

“No it’s not.” Buffy just shrugged her shoulders.

“We need to come up with a plan.”

“What kind’ve plan?”

“They’re going to be shoving drinks at me all night.”

“Easy. I’ll drink ‘em for you.”

“Spike.”

“Right. Just tell ‘em you’re not feeling right. They can’t force a sick girl to drink something that’s gonna make her sicker.”

“True. Still. They’re gonna know something’s up, and I’m not ready to tell them about the baby. It’s way too soon, and I kinda wanna get used to the idea of being pregnant before my friends have to.”

“I’m sure the lot of ‘em’ll have enough alcohol in the by the end of the night that they won’t remember you not drinking.”

“You think?”

“We’ll play a drinking game.” He thought for a minute. “Truth or dare. If you don’t do the dare, you have to take a drink.”

“That’s so tenth grade.” She smiled. “I love it. Wait. How do I get out of it?”

“You just ask for truths all night.”

“Right, and be subjected to your lame-ass questions?”

“Oi!”

“Oh, sorry. I mean your horribly embarrassing questions about our sex life that I would never answer in front of my friends? Maybe you are evil.”

“Give me a little credit, pet. Wouldn’t do that to the mother of my child.”

“Shyeah,” she scoffed, but she leaned in to kiss him. “I’m gonna stop by the magic shop. Are you low on pig’s blood?”

“I got enough to get me through the week.” Buffy paused.

“You know something? We’ve probably got the grossest grocery list ever.” She made a face, but he pulled her in to kiss her tenderly.

“You know, we don’t have to have people over,” he suggested. “I could give you your birthday present right here…right now.” Buffy’s eyes sparkled.

“That’s tempting. What is it?”

“That was innuendo, pet.”

“Duh,” she laughed. “No, it’ll be nice to have everyone over. You can give me that present after everyone’s passed out. How about that? That is…if you can still stand.”

“I’ll have you know I can hold my alcohol like a…”

“Uh huh,” Buffy muttered. Then a devilish glint appeared in her eyes.

“What’s that look for, Slayer? What are you thinking?”

“Oh, I’m thinking about having a little fun of my own.”

“And what fun do you have in mind?” He raised an eyebrow and cocked his head to the side.

“Watching you squirm all night without any social lubricant.”

“What?” As much as he hated to admit it, he felt his cock twinge a little at the word ‘lubricant.’ Maybe it was the suggestive bravatto in her voice when she said it.

“No drinking. If I can’t have a drink on my twenty first birthday, you have to be supportive-boyfriend guy.”

“Oh, come on, pet. You can’t throw me in there with the lot of them and expect me not to need a good, stiff drink.”

“If you take one drink, that’s the only thing that’s gonna be stiff tonight.” She cocked her own eyebrow, and he shuddered.

“You know, I think you’re the evil one.”

“Oh, but I have an excuse for the next eight months.”

“Bloody hell.” She smiled wickedly at him and wrapped her arms around his neck.

“I love you. Just remember that when I’m screaming at you for…you know, exisiting.” Spike seemed up to the challenge, and he tightened his hold on her.

“I think I can take it. I’ve been through a lot in my hundred-twenty-eight years. I think I can take a few months of a moody Slayer. Hell, I’ve already taken, what, five years?” She pushed him away in mock offense.

“Oh, now you’re asking for it.”

“What are you gonna do?”

“Enjoy every minute of my birthday.” She winked at him and tugged him toward the stairs.

“Thought you were going out.”

“Are you gonna distract me or not?”

“Oh, good plan.” With that, he scooped her up in his arms and rushed her up the stairs.


Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading...let me know what you thought! Pretty please? :)