Chapter 39: Six Weeks

It was before sunrise when the phone woke Buffy from her sleep. Spike was passed out next to her, lying face first on the mattress, arm draped over her stomach. She quickly reached for the phone before it could ring again.

“H-hello?”

“Buffy? Buffy, it’s Dad.”

“Dad? What…time is it?”

“I’m sorry if I woke you up, sweetheart.” He sounded strained.

“What’s…what’s going on?”

“I just got in. I…I was on a plane all day and didn’t have access to a phone. I wanted to call you and tell you happy birthday. I didn’t want you to think I forgot.” Buffy frowned into the receiver.

“Ok…but you could’ve called me…you know…later?”

“I just wanted to tell you, Buffy. I’m sorry I missed your birthday.”

“It’s ok. Really,” Buffy whispered, rubbing her tired eyes with one hand.

“Did you have a good birthday, sweetheart?”

“Yeah. I did.” She smiled into the phone. “Spike gave me a ring. Um…an…engagement ring.”

“He did? That’s great, honey. Congratulations.”

“Thanks.” She cleared her throat. “Dad?”

“Yeah?”

“There’s something I wanna tell you, but you have to promise not to say anything. I haven’t told my friends or Dawn yet.”

“What is it?”

“Dad…I’m…I’m pregnant.”

“Sweetheart, that’s wonderful! I’m so happy for you. When’d you find out?”

“About a week ago. We’re really excited.”

“I’m gonna be a grandpa, huh?”

“Yeah.” She felt her throat close a little, and the tears started to form. “I’m scared, Daddy. I don’t…I don’t know what I’m gonna do.”

“You’ll do the best you can, Buffy. We were young when your mother and I had you, but we made it work. You and Spike will too.”

“I know. I just…it’s scary. There’s a lot going on in my life, and I don’t know how to keep a baby safe. I just…” She swallowed hard and took a few shaky breaths. “What if I’m not a good mom?”

“If you’re half as amazing as your mother, Buffy, you’re gonna be great.”

“Yeah?”

“Yeah. Don’t worry, Buffy. I can tell that Spike loves you, and he’ll be there. You won’t be alone. I’ll help you in any way you need, alright?”

“Thanks, Dad.”

“I love you, Buffy.”

“Love you too.”

***

Buffy’s eyes shot open, and she immediately glanced at the clock. Seven thirty. Spike was lying awake next to her, his fingers trailing circles over her stomach.

“Morning.”

“Hey,” she said with a half-hearted smile.

“S’wrong?”

“I just…I had a dream about my dad.” She blinked a few times, eyes adjusting to the dim light in the room. “It was real. He was calling me to say happy birthday.” She shrugged. “Guess he forgot.”

“Sorry,” Spike whispered quietly.

“It’s ok. I wasn’t expecting anything. I just hoped.” She sighed and sat up, deciding that thinking about her dad right now would just hurt more than help. “I’m gonna get a shower.”

“Haven’t heard anyone stirring ‘round downstairs. Probably be best to get one while the water’s still hot.” Buffy smiled a little.

“Come with me. We can save hot water for the rest of them.”

“Like the way you think, pet.” He stood up and pulled her out of bed, leading her down the hall to the bathroom.

***

The next two weeks flew by quickly, and Anya and Xander’s wedding was about seventeen hours away. Buffy was pacing back and forth in front of the bed, while Spike watched her, wondering how she hadn’t worn a run in the floor already.

“What’re you worrying about, pet? He said he’d call when he gets into town. He’s gonna be here. Besides, we already know what he’s gonna say. That’s our baby in there. Our human baby. Heartbeat gets stronger every day.”

“I know. I’m still scared. I mean, what if…”

“Thought we talked about this, luv. No ‘what ifs.’ Stressing isn’t good for Slayer Jr.”

“If it’s a girl, we’re not naming her Slayer.” She took a deep breath. “At least I still fit in my bridesmaid’s dress. It was kinda tight, but not noticeably so. If the wedding was another week away, I think I’d be in trouble.” She sighed and continued pacing. “Where the Hell is he?”

The phone rang. She sighed with relief, and Spike answered.

“Hello?” Buffy eyed him expectantly. “Oh. Hang on.” He held the receiver out to her. “It’s Giles.”

“Oh.” Taking the phone in her hand, she answered, “hello?”

“Buffy, Wesley’s running a bit late. He wants us to meet him at the clinic.”

“Oh. Ok. Now?”

“Yes.”

“Oh. Ok, well, sunset should be in a few minutes. I want Spike there, so we’ll leave when it’s safe.” There was a pause on the other line.

“Alright. We’ll see you there.”

“’Kay. Thanks, Giles.” She handed the phone back to Spike and he placed it back on the base. With a heavy sigh, she sat down next to Spike on the bed. “All systems go. Just have to wait ‘til sunset.” She looked around, drumming her hands on her knees impatiently. “Won’t be much longer before we can tell everybody.”

“Suppose not,” he said quietly.

“I don’t wanna do it right away though. Not with Xander and Anya’s wedding tomorrow.” She looked down. “But I don’t think the rest of them’ll see it as a thunder stealing moment when we tell them. I don’t know how they’ll react.”

“My guess? Dawn’ll be ecstatic. Anya will comment on how often we shag. Harris’ll probably turn purple in the face but try to avoid saying anything that might get his face damaged from my fist…or yours. Willow’ll be worried; confused, but she’ll be supportive, and Tara’ll tell you she’s happy for you.” Buffy raised her eyebrows.

“That was kinda specific.”

“When you’re an immortal, people watching is a big pastime. You learn a lot about people.”

“What’d you learn about my dad when we were in L.A.?” Spike raised an eyebrow and thought for a moment.

“Not really sure. Learned he loves you and Dawn, but he kinda stays in the background. Doesn’t want to stir things up.”

“Yeah,” Buffy said quietly. “That’s my Dad.”

“Buffy, why don’t you call him? Maybe he forgot…”

“Yeah, and that’d be bad enough. I’m his daughter, not some distant cousin’s kid he only sees every couple years.”

“Then call him and tell him that.” He picked the phone back up and handed it to her. “Go on, pet. You’ll feel better.” Buffy grumbled but grabbed the phone. With a sigh, she dialed and started pacing again. With each ring, she grew increasingly hopeless. Finally, his voice mail picked up. At the beep, she took a deep breath.

“Dad. It’s me, Buffy. I…just…call me when you get this.” And she hung up. Spike stared at her. “What? What am I supposed to do? Bitch at him for not calling me on my birthday? He didn’t call. It’s not like he can make up for that. He can’t make up for a lot of things.” She moved to the window and looked out. “Come on. The sun’s down. We should get going.” Spike watched her leave the room first and then followed after her.

He knew she had every right to be pissed off at her dad. Honestly, he’d prefer it if he never had to see the bastard that abandoned his daughters again, but Buffy was pretty down about the fact that he hadn’t even called her on her birthday. Things were already so strained between them, he could have at least made the effort.

When they reached the landing, Spike reached out and took Buffy’s hand. He said nothing, but that simple gesture told her that she wasn’t going to have to do this alone. Not like her mother had to. Not like she’d had to do with Dawn since her mother’s death. He was going to be there. She could feel it. Her heart just needed to stop self-protecting. Not everybody in her life was going to leave her. Like couldn’t be like that, could it?

***

“How are you feeling today, Dana?” Dr. Owens asked, as he and Dana sat across from one another in the training room at the Magic Box. Dana took a sip of water and nodded her head.

“Better. I like it here. The medicine you gave me? It’s working. I feel better.”

“And you’re making friends?”

“Tara and Willow are really nice. Everyone here is. They don’t look at me like a freak.” She looked down. “They don’t look at me like I’m a killer.”

“You’re not a freak. You don’t have a murderer’s heart, either.”

“But I killed those people.”

“It was self-defense, Dana.”

“I don’t remember that. I don’t even remember killing them. I just know I did.”

“You weren’t in control Dana.”

“But I killed the guards.”

“The moment your captors injected you with that drug, you became something other than yourself. The medication they gave you at the prison only made matters worse.”

“Excuses,” Dana spat. “I killed, doctor. I killed, and I can’t fix that.”

“No. I suppose you can’t. But you have a calling now. You are a Slayer. That’s who you are. That’s what you do. Your duty now isn’t to pay for what you’ve done. It’s to prevent evil things from happening to innocent people.”

“People…like me? Like I was?”

“Precisely. Dana, you’re receiving wonderful training in Sunnydale. Giles is one of the best Watchers in the business. But if you’re not completely comfortable here, we can bring you back, and you can train with another Slayer in London.”

“No. No, I like it here.”

“Alright. Mr. Travers wants you to be happy wherever you are, because you are a Slayer, and far more powerful than he is.” That got a little smile out of Dana. “Don’t tell him I told you that. You see, he may have a say in how things work, but…”

“He doesn’t influence Buffy,” Dana pointed out.

“No, I suppose he doesn’t. The Council may be back in her graces…to an extent, but she certainly doesn’t work for them. Her Watcher does, but she’s her own Slayer.” He eyed her. “Is that what you want? Independence from the Council?”

“I don’t know,” Dana said quietly. “Maybe someday.” With a shrug, she sighed. “Buffy has a lot of power.”

“And with more experience, you will have that power someday. You’re already very strong and developing skills faster than we expected after your…convalescence.”

“How does the Council feel about Buffy’s…you know, the thing she has with Spike.” Dr. Owens cleared her throat. “This session is about you, Dana.”

“I know. I just…she’s all about fighting evil, but her boyfriend…well, he’s not evil anymore. But…”

“The Council isn’t happy with her decision, but the relationship hasn’t caused any harm, yet. Perhaps if something were to happen because of that relationship, the Council would step in.”

“They can just…tell people who they can’t date?”

“Not necessarily, but the Council is always looking out for the betterment of humankind. A Slayer is human, and humans have selfish tendencies. What’s best for a Slayer might not be best for humankind. Do you understand?”

“I think so.”

“Slayers, however powerful, are human, and humans act with passion. With instinct. The Council tries to see above those things when it comes to the safety and order of the universe. If it wasn’t for us, for our Watchers, there would be no direction for those who secretly save the world a little bit each day. The world would be in complete chaos.” Dana flinched. “When Mr. Travers read about your behavior in the prison, he knew a new Slayer had been chosen. His instincts were right. And we were able to pull you out of the grasps of a system of justice that only exists because the Council works for powers that are so far beyond…are you alright?”

“Yeah. I…” She was breathing a little faster now. “So the police…they’re really…they don’t have…”

“They have their own powers, of course, but only by government laws. The Council answers to another set of laws completely, which is why we must work in secret. If the rest of the world knew about the demons and other unseemly creatures of the world, nothing would be safe. No one could be trusted.”

“How did this session turn from me being a killer to you trying to convince me to keep the secret?”

“I’m only telling you what you need to know, because there are decision that have to be made that, as a human, might be very difficult.”

“But I have to do what’s right to protect the world.”

“Yes.” Dana nodded.

“I got it. But what does that mean about Buffy and Spike? That she’s…she’s selfish?”

“We’re all selfish beings, Dana,” Dr. Owens remarked with a slight smile. “Buffy’s lucky that the man she chose to love can force back the demon. He has a soul. He fights for good. He’s not a threat. Mr. Travers isn’t happy about him, but as long as the vampire continues to fight for the good of the world, there isn’t anything he can do about it.”

***

“What’s the deal, Wes? What’s growing in me?” Buffy asked, lying on the exam table as Wesley fidgeted with the ultrasound machine. Spike and Giles were up near Buffy’s head, both watching the screen. Wesley furrowed his eyebrows.

“A completely healthy human, it appears.” His voice carried no hint of restraint. “See that flicker there? That’s the heartbeat.”

“Told ya,” Buffy muttered.

“You told? I told you first,” Spike pointed out, getting a smile from Buffy. “So, Wes, this means that’s our kid, right? I mean, mine and Buffy’s. No offense. I’m sure handsome and all, but…”

“Spike,” Buffy laughed. He smiled.

“Sorry, luv. But…that is ours, right?”

“Once I get the test results back. It should be around a week.”

“Goody, more waiting,” Buffy whined. “It’s ok. I was right about it being human. I know I’m right that it’s ours. I don’t think a demon would implant a regular human baby in me. I mean, that would be a complete show of its lameness, right? I mean, if an evil demon was going to knock up the Slayer, you’d think it’d go all out with, you know, horns and mucus, and…”

“Not really the point, luv,” Spike reminded her.

“Right. But it’s healthy? It looks ok?”

“Everything looks fine. I’ll call you when I get the results, but I suggest you make an appointment with an actual OBGYN.”

“Ok then.” She breathed out a sigh of relief that she hadn’t known she’d been holding in. Looking up at Spike, her eyes widened. “Oh my God, Spike. We’re having a baby. I mean, we’re…going to be parents. An actual…crying, pooping, puking thing is gonna come out of me, and not in an evil way. I don’t know if I can handle that.” Spike took her hand and squeezed it gently.

“You’re the Slayer, pet. You can handle anything.” Buffy looked up at her Watcher, as Wesley wiped off the jelly-like goo he’d put on her stomach before the scan off.

“Do you feel better now that you know, Giles?” she wondered.

“Well, yes. Now that we know it’s not a demon, and that, despite its origins, it seems to be a normal pregnancy, there shouldn’t be much more mystery about it.” He cleared his throat. “I would go to the Council to ask for more references on claims, but I don’t think it’d be a wise idea to mention the fact that you’re carrying the child of a vampire.”

“Which we’ll know for sure in about a week,” Wesley reminded him.

“Right,” Giles agreed.

“Ok, but what about that Owens bloke?” Spike wondered. “The minute Buffy starts looking the part of an expectant mum, you can’t tell me he won’t be reaching for the nearest phone to sound the alarm.” Buffy froze.

“He’s right,” she murmured. “Giles, if the Council finds out…they’re gonna want to do tests, and…and I…they can’t, Giles.”

“Not to worry, Buffy,” Giles assured her. “I don’t expect Dr. Owens to stick around very long. He’s growing tired of America. I give him another week, two at the most, and then he’ll be gone.” Buffy relaxed a little.

“Still, how are we gonna keep this from the Council, when you’re on their payroll?” Buffy sat up, pulling her shirt down to cover her stomach.

“Whatever happens, Buffy, this…this child you’re carrying is human, and that means we’ll do whatever it takes to protect it.” He looked at the expectant parents. “Whatever happens, the Council won’t touch you or this child. That’s a promise.”

***

When Buffy and Spike entered the house that night, Dawn was sitting in the living room watching TV.

“Hey Dawnie. Did anybody call while we were gone?”

“Mmm…nope. Just Jake. He said he couldn’t come over and study, because he’s grounded for failing a history test. Does that make any sense to you?”

“Not really,” Buffy shrugged.

“Expecting a call?”

“Not really expecting. Hoping.”

“Oh,” Dawn said quietly. “He’ll call. I’m sure he will, Buffy. Maybe he was just busy.”

“Maybe,” Buffy shrugged. “Anyway, I’m tired. Think I’m gonna go to bed.” She turned to Spike. “You coming?”

“Sure thing, pet. Be up in a minute. Just a little hungry.” Buffy nodded in understanding and headed up the stairs while Spike went into the kitchen for a little blood.

Upstairs, Buffy changed out of her clothes and slipped into her pajamas. They weren’t the sexiest things in the world, but they were comfortable: a pair of grey workout pants and a black spaghetti strap shirt. She moved over to the mirror and stood with her side facing the glass. She placed her hands on her back and leaned back a little. No tell-tale bump yet. But being her luck, she’d wake up in the morning no longer able to fit into her dress.

It wasn’t long before a pair of invisible arms wrapped around her, and she smiled, looking down to see the hands that had no reflection. Spike’s lips were already on her neck. But when she frowned and turned in his arms, he knew she wasn’t in the mood.

“Sorry,” she muttered at the sound of his disappointed sigh. “I shouldn’t let it get to me. I mean, it’s not like he hasn’t done this before.”

“S’alright, pet.”

“I mean, if he’d called, I could’ve told him he was gonna be a grandpa. He’d have yelled at me and told me I was too young, like a dad’s supposed to, right?” Spike gently rubbed her shoulders and followed her to the bed. They sat down together, and she grabbed her brush. But, she just sat there and turned to Spike.

“I don’t get it. What kind of person abandons their daughter, tries to make things right, and then starts completely ignoring her again? I just don’t get it. And it’s not just me he’s ignoring. It’s Dawn. This is just…it sucks. That’s what. It sucks. He’s such an asshole.”

“Buffy, try and relax, pet,” he whispered, placing his cool hands on her shoulders. “ Don’t want to go to bed angry, do you? You’ve got a big day tomorrow. Well, you more than me. Can’t even believe I’m even invited to the bloody wedding.”

“Yeah, well, Xander knew that if he didn’t invite you, I wouldn’t go. Besides, he’s coming around.” She smiled a little. “Sorry. Didn’t mean to take out my ‘daddy issues’ on you.” He smiled a little and kissed her shoulder before moving his lips up to her neck and running his hand down her arm before caressing her thigh.

“No worries, luv.” With that, he reached out and turned off the light.


Chapter End Notes:
Please let me know what you thought of the chapter. Hope you're still reading and enjoying! Thanks!