Author's Chapter Notes:
So I managed to get the chapter finished sooner than I thought! My weekend didn't turn out to be as long as I'd thought! :)
Chapter 41: Waiting and Hoping

“Dawn! Hurry up!” Buffy called up the stairs. “You’ll be late for school!”

“I’m coming!” Dawn exclaimed, feet pounding on the floor upstairs as she hurried to get ready in time. Buffy headed back into the kitchen, where Spike was sitting reading the paper and drinking his morning blood.

“I’m so changing her bedtime if she doesn’t start getting out the door sooner,” Buffy grumbled. She started over to the stove, where the butter in the skillet was completely melted. She cracked an egg, and it plopped and sizzled on contact. But when the smell hit her, she felt her stomach lurch, and she covered her mouth. “Oh…” She moaned and rushed to the trashcan, emptying the contents of her stomach. Spike stood up quickly and moved to help her.

After a few moments, however, she stood and closed the lid. “Good thing it’s trash day, ‘cause that’s pretty gross.” Her face was pale, and she looked like all she wanted to do was lay down.

“Ok. I’m leaving!” Dawn called from the front room. Buffy rushed to tell her sister goodbye, but she’d already hurried outside. With a sigh, Buffy turned back to the kitchen.

“You alright, pet?”

“Fine. Just…ugh, get that…ew, out of here.” She crinkled her nose at the stove, and Spike turned the heat off the burner and scraped the egg into the trashcan. With that, he promptly lifted the bag out of the can and tied it up. He placed it by the back door and looked at Buffy.

“You’ll have to help me on this one, pet.” She nodded and took the bag out and put it in the trash can by the street. When she returned, Spike wasn’t in the kitchen, so she headed upstairs, where he was brushing his teeth. She stood in the doorway, head cocked to the side at the sight.

“Don’t forget to brush your fangs, too,” she teased. He looked at her and shook his head before spitting the toothpaste out in the sink. Buffy stood beside him and looked in the mirror. She placed her hands on her hips and turned to the side. Ah, the tell tale signs: the first sign of a bump.

“We’re gonna have to tell them soon, pet,” he pointed out. “Think you can get away with calling it bloat for another week, but pretty soon, that’s gonna be a lot bigger.”

“Yeah,” she muttered. Today was the start of her seventh week, and Wesley still hadn’t called with the results from the DNA test. She wasn’t really worried about it anymore, anyway. What mattered was that this baby was human. It was hers in her heart, and if it didn’t happen to be in any other way, she’d love it still.

“You sure you feel up to going to the shop today?”

“No,” Buffy grumbled before gargling with mouthwash to get the vomit taste out of her mouth. She spat the green, foamy liquid out into the sink. “But I promised I’d help Giles run the place while Xander and Anya are on their honeymoon.” She looked down at her belly. “Time’s moving too fast. I don’t feel like we’ve had enough time with this…you know, just to ourselves? I’ve got to tell everyone when Xander and Anya get back.”

“You’ll feel better once the secret’s out. Won’t have to try to explain why you’re not drinking.”

“Yeah, I thought for sure somebody was gonna call me on it when I didn’t have a hangover after my birthday. Luckily, most of them had hangovers of their own, so they didn’t notice.” She smiled and gave Spike a kiss on the cheek. “Thanks for your help this morning.”

“You’ve got to be hungry. I can make you something.”

“Nothing sounds good. The thought of food makes me…” She made a face.

“Alright?”

“Yeah. Just…ugh. Don’t mention food.”

“Right then, but you’ll have to eat something soon. Little Beth needs her nourishment.”

“Beth?”

“Short for Elizabeth,” he pointed out. Buffy sighed. “So it’s Beth today? What’ll it be tomorrow?” They’d been trying out names on their mystery baby. Spike always had girls’ names in mind. One day she was Buffy Jr. Another day she was Willa, which could be passed as naming her after Willow, but it was obvious he derived it from William.”

“You know, if our baby comes out a boy, you’re the one that gets to explain to him why he was Buffy Jr. for nine months.” Spike got down on his knees, lifting her night shirt and pressing his lips to her slightly distended belly.

“Don’t listen to your mum. She thinks that just ‘cause she’s the Slayer, she knows it all. Well, your pop knows a thing or two that she doesn’t.”

“Ok, I believed you when you heard the baby’s heartbeat, and while you might have great eyesight for a guy over a hundred years old, you can’t possibly see or know what our baby is. I don’t even know if it has those…parts yet.”

“Mark my words…it’s a girl.”

“And if it’s not?”

“It is.”

“Spike.”

“Alright. If I’m wrong—which I’m not—then you name him whatever you want.”

“I was going to anyway,” she teased. “I like William.”

“Anything but that.”

“You said.”

“Ok, name him whatever you want except for William.” Buffy rolled her eyes. Spike pressed his lips against her belly again. “Don’t listen to Mummy. She doesn’t know what she’s talking about.” Buffy swatted the top of his head.

“You’re already trying to be the favorite parent and it’s not even here yet. Not cool, Spike.” She walked away from him and started toward the door. But, he stood and pulled her back toward him.

“Not so fast, luv. We’re not finished here.” She smiled as his lips moved to her neck.

“Oh we’re not?”

“House to ourselves…you don’t have to be at the shop for an hour. C’mon.”

“You’re a bad influence, but ok,” she giggled, as his lips pressed against hers. She pulled away.

“Ok, if we’re gonna do that,” she laughed, reaching for her toothbrush, “I’ve gotta do this. Mouthwash doesn’t take care of everything.” Spike went ahead and stripped down, got in the shower, and got the water nice and hot like Buffy liked it. He realized about five minutes in that she was taking her own sweet time just to torture him. He poked his head out of the shower curtain, and she was just wiping off her mouth. She smiled innocently at him. “What?”

“Clothes off. Now.”

“Ooh, somebody got up on the wrong side of the bed.” Spike looked down at his semi-hard cock, and Buffy’s gaze followed his.

“Yeah. I got up. You wanna do something about that?”

“Why ‘Mr. Pratt,” she whispered seductively as she stripped out of her night clothes. “I’m a mother. I can’t do those things.” She batted her eyes and placed her hand on her cheek. Spike growled and tugged her naked form into the tub with him.

Before he devoured her mouth with his, he breathed, “you’re not my mother.” Buffy smiled against his lips as he backed her up under the stream of hot water. She leaned her head back, letting the water soak her to the scalp. She moaned softly when Spike began to kiss her neck and trail his way down to her belly. He was on his knees, and she smiled devilishly.

“Sit back,” she murmured. He did as she asked, leaning against the back of the tub. She stood over him, her pussy, dripping with water and her own juices, was right before his eyes. He leaned forward, nuzzling her with his nose for a moment before he tasted her. He moaned softly, grabbing onto the towel rack to keep herself steady. But the moment his hands moved to her hips, her knees gave out. He pulled her down into his lap before maneuvering himself to lay down. She placed her knees on either side of his head, grabbing either side of the tub with her hands to steady herself. She moaned, gently thrusting against his face as he explored her with his expert lips and talented tongue.

“Taste so good,” he murmured, digging his fingers into her hips, holding her still while he thrust his tongue inside of her.

“Mmmm…oh…Spike!” She bit her lower lip and sucked in a sharp, hissing breath. He felt her thighs clench around his jaw, and a rush of juices flooded over his lips. She breathed and writhed shakily above him, and he continued to circle her clit with his tongue until she slowly slid off of him and turned herself around. Spike felt her little hand close around his cock as her ass wiggled in front of his face. He bent forward, tasting her again, inserting a couple of fingers inside of her wet channel. She moaned as her mouth enveloped his cock, taking him in as far as she could.

She flattened her tongue against the underside of his cock, and as she took him in and out, her tongue provided enough friction that she knew it wouldn’t be long before he lost control.

His thumb brushed over her clit roughly, and she whimpered, the vibrations running from her throat to his cock, making him shudder in response.

“Fuck, Buffy. You keep that up, and…” She brought a hand to cup his balls, giving them a firm squeeze, and he bucked his hips. She’d have gagged had her other hand been controlling the amount she took in at the base of his cock.

Just as he was about to come, she released him and moved around, impaling herself on him. He let out a hiss through his teeth at the sensation of her slippery, wet folds enveloping him, squeezing him, making him feel as if he were melting inside of her.

“Christ,” he breathed, pulling her to him roughly for a searing kiss. She moaned against him as she rode him, and when he pulled away from the kiss, he bent down to take a firm nipple between his teeth. He gave it a little tug, and she yelped, digging her nails into his shoulder.

“You wanna play rough?” she asked, picking up the pace. But all thoughts were lost to her when that expert mouth moved to her neck, suckling on the claim scar. She wrapped her arms around his shoulders, her hold tightening on him as she milked his cock with every stroke, pumping him until the bubble burst, and she felt him shudder beneath her. She continued to ride him as he came, staring into his eyes, seeing how vulnerable he was right now. God, the power was invigorating. And at that thought, she came and collapsed on top of them as the water continued to shower down on them from above. “The rough thing kinda fizzled out there, didn’t it?” she finally asked after several minutes.

“S’alright.”

“God, I love this.”

“Sex with me or in a bathtub?”

“Both,” she giggled. “But we really should get clean before the hot water runs out.” With that, she stood and helped him up, and they went about washing themselves…and each other. Needless to say, Buffy was going to be late.

***

“Is everything alright?” Giles asked as he waved a hand in front of Buffy’s face.

“Huh?” she asked, snapping out of her space-out fest.

“Are you feeling alright?”

“Oh. Yeah. I was just…thinking.” About Spike’s perfect mouth and how amazing it feels when he’s between my legs. Oh God… She felt those familiar tingles, and her panties grew a bit damp. “Um…I think I need to train.”

“Do you need me?”

“Nah, that’s ok. Just need to work out a little frustration.”

“Did you and Spike quarrel?”

“Huh? Oh. No. We’re fine. I know that’s not something you want to hear, but…”

“Buffy, you know I want what’s best for you. While I think you can do much better than Spike, he’s been quite supportive of you lately. I can see you love him very much, so if the two of you were to fight, I wouldn’t be happy about that.”

“Thanks Giles,” Buffy breathed. “I’m glad you don’t completely hate him. He’s a good man. I know, I know. It’s not easy for you to look past the demon part. But the man is a lot more powerful than the demon, I promise.” She placed her hands on her belly. “He makes me happy, and he’s giving me something I never thought I’d have.” She smiled a little. “Not that I really ever really let myself want this, I know now that it is what I want. I want this baby, and I want Spike. And I want all of my friends to stay my friends, because my life wouldn’t be the same without any of you, ok?”

“You don’t have to explain yourself to me. You’re a grown woman, and you’re following your heart.”

“Yeah. Something most Slayers never get to do. Lucky for me, I get a family that slays together.” She grinned. “Wonder if our motto should be ‘The family that slays together stays together?’” She shook her head. “Anyway, I’ve gotta train.” She started for the training room.

“Dana’s in there.”

“Oh.” Buffy placed her hand protectively over her barely-there bump. “I don’t know what to do, Spike. I mean, Dana’s in touch with the Council. She could tell them, you know?”

“I’ve spoken to Dana on the issue of the Council. She seems to understand that there are special circumstances. She doesn’t have a problem with you and Spike, does she?”

“No,” Buffy said thoughtfully. “She doesn’t treat him any differently when she’s around him, if that’s what you mean. I talked to her about it, and I think she kinda gets it. She’s just a little weirded out. I think she sees it as sleeping with the enemy. I guess it kinda is. But Spike’s not the enemy. He just happens to, you know…be the enemy?” She sighed. “You know what I mean. Uch. I have to train.” She shook her head and started back into the training room. Dana was doing what looked like a gymnastics routine, but it was very obvious that she was staging a mock slay. The way she ducked and rolled and punched and kicked made that quite obvious.

Buffy moved to the punching bag and wrapped her hands to help with the impact. She looked down at her clothes, all loose fitting and comfortable, and wondered if maybe it was obvious. If it was, nobody had mentioned anything lately.

She started out easy enough, focusing all of her energy into the punching bag. But when the damp spot of her underwear chafed against her, she was reminded of why exactly she’d needed this little workout. And then her mind began to wander. She thought about the way his arms wrapped protectively around her. The way his muscles moved under her touch as he pumped in and out of her. She thought about the way the muscles in his arms would tremble under his own weight as he held himself up, picking up the pace.

She found herself biting her lip as she punched faster and added in a swivel-kick here and there for variation.

When Dana took a break to rest from her vigorous solo workout, she noticed Buffy’s routine was growing more fierce and a little sloppy. She rushed over, almost afraid to touch her fellow Slayer. But, she ended up tapping her on the shoulder. Buffy swung around, startling Dana.

“Dana. Sorry.” She let her breathing calm. “I…I knew you were in here. I just…”

“You were working out your issues. I get it. I’ve got a lot of ‘em myself.”

“Yeah,” Buffy said quietly. “What were you working out this time?” Dana frowned.

“Mr. Travers wants me to come back to England for an evaluation.”

“He does?”

“Yeah. I thought I wanted to go home, but I’m torn. I mean, I still have a lot to learn from Mr. Giles, but the Council…after everything they did for me? I feel like I owe them.” Her eyes widened. “Not that you guys haven’t done a lot for me. I mean, I’m lucky you didn’t throw me out on the street after you found out everything I’ve done…”

“Whoa,” Buffy said, shaking her head. “You’re still on that? Dana, what happened wasn’t your fault. You know that.”

“I know. But I still…I still did those things. I still get caught up in it.” She frowned. “I guess that’s another reason I was in here today. The last patrol I went on? I nearly got impaled on my own stake.” Buffy winced at the memory of it happening to her last year.

“You’re trying too hard.”

“That’s what Giles tells me,” she pointed out. “I’m trying too hard to…how did he put it? I’m ‘overcompensating for my past mistakes.’”

“Well…you kinda are. I mean, I’m not saying you shouldn’t be feeling these things. It only proves you’re human. It’s just…don’t let yourself try to make up for it in slaying demons. You’re not a bad person. You just have to have a little more faith in yourself.” She placed her hand on Dana’s shoulder.

“Thanks, Buffy.” She swallowed hard. “I’m going to go to London. But…after my evaluation, I wanna come back. I like it here. I have friends here.” She smiled a little. “Willow and Tara. And…I mean, I know we don’t hang out very much, but we have one huge thing in common here.” She motioned back and forth between them. “It might sound stupid, but I feel like we’re close because of that.” Buffy shook her head.

“It’s not stupid. We’re two out of three living people in this world who know what it feels like to have this power. It does kinda make us part of an exclusive club, huh?” Dana smiled.

“Yeah. It does.”

“I’d like it if you came back.” I’d feel better knowing you were here, because I’m not sure I can trust you where the Council’s involved. She felt terrible for thinking that way, but how could she not? The Council would in no way smile upon the birth of a child of a vampire and a Slayer. And on the other end of that spectrum, there was the possibility that they would welcome it and want to poke and prod at it and run god awful tests. Either way, she wanted to keep her child as far away from the Council as possible. It wouldn’t be possible to keep it a secret, of course, but she didn’t want to have to feel the threat of having to possibly throw her life on the line. She wanted to be happy with Spike and her baby and Dawn. She didn’t want to have to spend her life running and fighting people who were supposed to be on her side of the good and evil spectrum.

“Thanks, Buffy. You’ve been really great to me. I wish there was something I could do to pay you back.”

“It’s ok. Really. Just…keep doing what you’re doing, Dana. You’re becoming a pretty kick ass Slayer.” Her stomach twisted into knots. She just hoped she could trust her.

***

“Bloody television,” Spike muttered, clicking the set off and tossing the remote onto the coffee table with a loud thud. He felt his stomach starting to rumble, so he headed into the kitchen to warm up a mug of blood. Buffy had pre-poured it for him that morning, so all he really had to do was heat it up.

He popped the blue mug into the microwave and hit the one minute button. That was when the phone rang. Spike reached over the counter for the phone on the wall and picked it up.

“Hello?”

“Uh, yes. Is this Spike?” a proper, British accent asked.

“Yeah. Sherlock Jr., right?”

“Wesley W…”

“Yeah, right. You’re calling for Buffy?”

“Well, yes.”

“She’s not home right now.”

“Considering the DNA test was run on you as well, I can tell you the results now.”

“About bloody time. Buffy’s been working herself up…” Well, she hadn’t really, but he didn’t need to know that.

“Yes, well, the results have come in.”

“And…what are we looking at here? Tell it to me straight, Percy. Is this kid gonna have its mum’s eyes and my hair, or…”

“Well, I can’t say for certain who the child’ll look like, but I can tell you, without a doubt, that this child was conceived from the both of you. Don’t ask me to go into specifics, because that’s where the areas get gray. The best possible scenario I’ve come up with is that the moment the claim occurred…”

“That’s when my swimmers got through and…”

“I wouldn’t put it that way, but yes,” Wesley said with certainty.

“Thanks, uh, Wesley. Buffy’ll be happy to know. So, no worries then, right?”

“The only advice I can give the both of you is to set up an appointment with an OBGYN right away. Make sure Buffy takes care of herself.”

“Done,” Spike said quickly. “And this hasn’t gotten ‘round to Captain Forehead, has it?”

“Who?”

“Uh, your boss.”

“Angel? No, of course not.”

“Make sure it stays that way. The last thing Buffy needs is him barging in, trying to tell her what to do.”

“It’s none of my business, but it sounds as if you’re jealous.”

“Not jealous, mate. Just know what I want, and I know what my lady wants. But I also know that Angel has a way of upsetting her, and she doesn’t need that right now. Not when she’s still getting used to all of this. If she wants to tell him, I won’t stand in her way, but right now…”

“I understand. I do have to get back to work.”

“Right. Well, thanks for calling.” Spike hung up, and turned to get his cooling blood out of the microwave. When he turned around, taking a sip, he nearly spat it out all over the counter. Buffy was standing here, arms folded, a smile playing at her lips.

“I heard what you said.”

“What?”

“To Wesley…about Angel.” Spike cocked his head to the side.

“Oh. I suppose you’re mad?”

“Exactly the opposite,” she replied, moving around the counter. “Angel left a long time ago, ok? He’s got a new life.” She moved her arms around his waist. “And so do I. Wouldn’t change a thing.” She stood on her tiptoes to give him a closed-mouth kiss. As much as she loved him, tasting pig’s blood wasn’t exactly on the top of her list right now.

“Good. ‘Cause I’ve got some pretty good news. Think you’ll be happy to know.” Buffy flashed him a bright smile.

“So the results are in?”

“Yep. Buffy Jr. is gonna be making her way into the world in just over seven months, and she might just have her mum’s beautiful, green eyes.” Buffy let out a little squeak.

“So…so…?”

“So, our baby’s exactly that. Ours.”

“Ah! I knew it.” She practically leaped into his arms, and he put the mug of blood down on the counter. She giggled, as he smiled down at her. “Wow.” She shook her head. “I can’t believe it. All that waiting…now…now it’s really…real, you know? Not that it wasn’t before. But it’s just…knowing that this really is our baby makes it sink in a little more.”

“I know what you mean, luv.”

“Ok, this calls for a celebration.”

“What kind’ve celebration?”

“You’re taking me out tonight.”

“Where to?”

“You haven’t decided yet,” she teased. “But you’re thinking…mood lighting, dancing, lots and lots of wild, monkey love, maybe before we even get home.” Spike felt a twinge in his groin.

“You know just what to say to get a man’s motor running,” he growled against her neck, placing cool kisses there that made her skin prickle. She bit her lower lip and sighed happily.

“Well, while it’s running, why don’t we take it for a spin?” she suggested, raising an eyebrow. He let out another little growl, and she laughed as he rushed her out of the room and up the stairs for a little preview of the wild monkey love that was to come.


Chapter End Notes:
Let me know what you thought of the chapter! Thanks!