Chapter 42: Voraos

“You’ve got to be kidding me,” Buffy laughed, as she and Spike pulled up outside of the cemetery. “You never even kissed a girl? I mean, ok, I got the whole virgin at twenty-seven thing, because from what you’ve told me, you weren’t exactly suave with the ladies. But you never kissed anyone until Drusilla? Seriously?”

“It’s not that funny,” Spike muttered, as he got out of the car. Buffy got out too and slammed her door shut.

“I know. It’s just…you’re so different now. I mean, I can’t picture William the Bloody being a virgin. I just…I can’t. Not with all those…you know, things you can do.”

“Oh, like what?” Buffy shook her head, refusing to answer.

“C’mon, kitten. You know what’s gonna happen when I get you inside tonight. Wait a minute. I seem to recall you saying something about before we get home. Don’t remember anything happening at The Bronze, except for you groping me and then leaving me hanging. Little tease.” Buffy giggled.

“Yeah, that’s me,” she laughed. “Ok, I have an idea.” She smiled, turning to face him. “We get through patrol tonight, and we can go to your old crypt.” Spike stiffened a little. “What?”

“I…uh…let’s not go there.”

“Why not? Is it already rented?” she snorted.

“’Course not. It’s just…it’s still sort of…mine at the moment.” Buffy’s jaw dropped.

“What?”

“There’s a lot of stuff pet. I mean, what’d you think I did? Hired movers to put it all in storage?”

“You mean, you still have a place to go in case I decide to throw you out.”

“Well, no, but…now that you mention it.”

“Oh, you…ugh! Men!” She brushed past him.

“Buffy! Come on, it’s not like I was staying there or anything. I’ve been there every night and every morning with you since I officially moved in. Even before that…c’mon, pet.”

“You don’t get it, do you? Having your own place just kind of tells me that this living together thing is only temporary.”

“It’s not.”

“Well then…why did you keep everything there? I mean, you could’ve sold it. That bed alone…pretty fantastic. Sturdy too. I think we’ve almost broken mine twice. And the sheets? To die for.” Spike furrowed his brows. “Are you madder that I kept the place or that I didn’t trade beds?” Buffy sighed.

“Sorry.”

“S’alright, pet. I know a mood swing when I see one. Glad to see that you don’t have super Slayer mood swings, ‘cause that might just lead to you accidentally staking me in the heat of an argument.”

“Never,” she scoffed.

“You’re mad.”

“No.”

“Buffy.”

“Ok, yes. I mean…it’s like your Bachelor pad. You’ve had God knows how many women down there.”

“Two.”

“Huh?”

“You and that…that…”

“Harmony?”

“Yeah. Sorry, pet. Saying her name leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I never knew that stupid had a human form until I met her.”

“Technically, an undead human form,” Buffy pointed out.

“Missing the point, luv. It’s not like it’s my secret place where I keep all the memories of all the women I’ve shagged in the past. That’s not it. Only memories I think about from my time with Harmony are the times she was gone and I was thinking about you.” Buffy felt her heart thud a little harder against her chest.

“Oh,” she said quietly.

“I haven’t stepped foot in the place since I moved in with you. It’s not my secret get away from my hormonal, pregnant sex-kitten.”

“Sex kitten?” she asked with a roll of her eyes and amused smile.

“Fact is, I’m happier when I’m at your house. Feels a lot better than some old crypt.”

“It didn’t used to, did it?”

“No, but you’re there. You make it home.” Buffy sighed.

“Ok, stop saying things like that. You make it impossible to be mad at you. I miss our fights sometimes.”

“Yeah?”

“Yeah. They always got me in the mood.” She glanced at him awkwardly and blushed.

“Hate to ruin it for you, pet, but that was never a secret.”

“What?!”

“Please. Your scent…God, there’s nothing like it.” Buffy crinkled her nose. “You have no idea how many times I’d go back to the crypt and beat myself stupid. Just one whiff of you, and I knew I was in for hours of…”

“Ok, now that’s kinda creepy. You sound like some horny teenager beating off in his bedroom.”

“Well, there’s not much difference when it comes to you. You bring out the horny teenager in me, Buffy. What can I say?” Buffy made a face, but she couldn’t help but smile.

“That’s sweet. And kinda weird.” Spike sniffed the air.

“And it’s turning you on.”

“Ok, that’s just…” Something came flying at her from behind, and she hit the ground with a thud. “Oh!”

“Buffy!” Spike called, seeing her scrambling to get up. It’d happened so fast, and he couldn’t remember how she’d landed. Not only did they have to save their own lives, but they had to save their baby’s.

“Slayer!” a particularly slimy demon roared, charging at his prey. Spike pulled a knife out of his coat pocket and tossed it at the large beast. It landed square in the demon’s back, and the beast snarled and howled, trying to pull the foreign object from its flesh.

“Let me help you with that, mate.” Spike grabbed the knife and twisted it, causing the demon further pain. He then pulled the knife out, and Spike kicked him hard in the chest, sending him flying into the wall of a crypt. Spike immediately went to Buffy’s side, helping her stand.

“You alright, luv?”

“Yeah. I’m just…ow.” Spike’s hand immediately went to her belly. “It’s ok…I think it…” But before Spike could question her further, the demon let out a loud snarl. He charged again, and Buffy lunged forward, grabbing the demon by the neck and squeezing hard until no breath was left in the hulking, slimy mass. When it fell to the ground, she took Spike’s knife and drove it into the heart, just to be safe. “Gross,” she muttered.

“The baby?”

“It’s ok. I landed on my side. I think it’s…” She felt her throat go dry. Spike moved toward her, and she closed her eyes as he pulled her into an embrace. “I can’t do that, again, Spike. I froze when I thought the baby was hurt. I…I can’t do that, or I’m gonna get us killed.”

“S’alright now, pet. It’s over. Next time’ll be different.”

“It has to be,” she breathed, clutching her stomach. “God, it has to be.” Spike knelt down in front of her and placed his ear to her belly. When he looked up at her with a reassuring smile, she let out a sigh.

“Heart’s beating the same as this morning. And the yesterday. And the day before. It’s alright, Buffy.”

“Good,” she said with a nod, as Spike took her hand. “Let’s just get home. I’ve had enough patrolling for one night.” Shakily, she walked alongside him as he led her back to the car.

***

When they arrived back at the house, Buffy was feeling the aches in her sides and back from the fight. Spike had one arm around her when they came through the door.

“Hey guys,” Dawn said with a wave from the stairs as she descended in her pajamas. She saw the look of worry in Buffy’s eyes. “What’s wrong? You’re hurt.”

“I’m ok, Dawnie,” Buffy assured her. “The demon just caught me off guard.” Dawn looked at Spike for confirmation, but he was too busy looking concerned. He helped her with her coat and placed it in the closet. She started toward the stairs but winced at a twinge in her back. “Ok, couch it is.” Spike and Dawn both followed her into the living room, and they sat down on the couch together. Dawn leaned forward to look past Spike.

“You look worried. What’s wrong? Is it bad?”

“No. I’ll be ok. I’m just…”

“He just knocked her around a little,” Spike spoke up. Buffy looked at Spike, catching his gaze. They were planning on telling their friends in a few days, but all Hell would break loose if that happened and Dawn didn’t have the info already.

“It’s more than that,” Buffy pointed out, giving Spike a little nod to let him know it was ok. “Dawn, there’s something I need to tell you, but you have to promise not to freak out or tell anybody, ok?”

“Oh God,” Dawn murmured. “Buffy, it’s bad, isn’t it?” Buffy could see the flash of horror in her sister’s eyes. She knew the poor girl couldn’t take much more bad news in her life.

“God, no,” Buffy said quickly. “No, it’s not bad. It’s…it’s really good, actually.” She smiled at Spike. “We think so anyway.”

“Ok…so what’s the what?”

“Well,” Buffy murmured, clearing her throat, “you’re gonna thinking, ‘huh?’ and ‘how is this possible,’ but…”

“Buffy!” Dawn exclaimed, exasperated.

“Right. Um, Dawn? I’m pregnant.” Dawn’s face was frozen for a moment, but slowly, her eyes widened, and her mouth dropped open.

“Oh my God. Oh my God! Oh my…oh my God!” she exclaimed. “How did this happen?” She frowned. “Don’t give me the details. Just…I mean, I thought…you know…vampires?”

“It happened with the claim,” Spike announced.

“Oh my God,” Dawn breathed. “I’m gonna be an aunt? This is so cool!” Buffy smiled.

“We think so too. You’re the first person we’ve told…besides Giles and Wesley.” Dawn’s face fell. “Well, we had to tell Giles, because we didn’t know how it happened. And Wesley’s the one that ran some tests and…and everything.”

“Oh,” Dawn said with a slow nod. “So the baby…it’s human, right?”

“A hundred percent,” Buffy assured her. “But you can’t tell anyone. I wanna tell the rest after Xander and Anya get back. Ok?”

“Ok,” Dawn assured her. “You know, it’s gonna be hard to keep this secret.”

“Well, try,” Buffy warned her. “It’s still really early.”

“How early?”

“About seven weeks.”

“Seriously? I have to wait…what, seven more months?”

“Give or take a week or two,” Buffy said with a nod.

“Oh well. Oh my God. This is so awesome, Buffy!” Dawn leaned over Spike to hug her sister, and when she pulled away, she hugged Spike. “I can’t wait to see you with a baby. You’re such a softie, I just know you’re gonna be a good dad.”

“Uh, thanks Nibblet,” he muttered. “Don’t let that get around though.”

“Oh, and mar your reputation? Surely not,” Dawn giggled. “Ok, so we have to make plans. The nursery? Where’s it gonna sleep? I mean…”

“Not quite sure about that yet,” Buffy said quietly. “We’re still in the, ‘holy crap we’re gonna be parents’ stage.”

“Oh,” Dawn said with a nod. “Wow. I can’t believe it…a baby!” But suddenly her frown turned somber. “You’re hurt though. The baby?”

“The baby’s fine, Nibblet,” Spike assured her. “Heart’s strong and healthy.”

“How do you…”

“Spike has really good hearing,” Buffy offered.

“Oh,” Dawn accepted with a nod. “Ok.”

“There’s one thing though,” Buffy said quietly. “It’s about Dana.”

“Yeah?”

“Well, I’m sort of on the fence about her finding out. She does have close ties with the Council. She’s young and she trusts them. At least Giles knows he doesn’t have to tell them anything.” She placed her hand on her belly. “We’re not really sure how they’d react to a Slayer being pregnant by a vampire, especially with the claim involved and everything.”

“You think they’d want to hurt the baby?”

“Yeah. Or study it. Either way, I can’t let that happen.”

“I won’t say anything to Dana, but Buffy, she’s got eyes.”

“Yeah. Well, I’m hoping to delay her finding out for a while. I just don’t want to deal with the Council right now. At least not until the morning sickness is gone and I stop barfing all the time.” Dawn made a face. “Sorry for the visual.”

“It’s ok. My lips are sealed. But I can’t wait ‘til you tell everyone else. I can’t wait to see the look on Xander’s face.”

“Yeah,” Buffy said weakly, “I’m sure it’s gonna be a shock.”

***

“You’re certain you want to leave now?” Giles wondered as he drove toward the airport with Dana in the passenger’s seat. “It’s so sudden.”

“I know. I just want to get this evaluation over with. They’ll see I’m doing better, and they’ll let me go.”

“Yes. Yes, you are doing better.” Dana could hear the apprehension in his voice.

“You don’t really think so, do you?” It stung a little to think that. This man had become her teacher. He’d become a big part of her life, and it was frightening to feel like she wasn’t trusted.

“Of course I think you’re doing better, Dana. I’m just not certain the Council will feel that way.” He glanced at her for a moment before returning his attention to the road. “They helped you, yes, but you need to remember that you’re a Slayer. You don’t work for them.”

“But I do.”

“You don’t have to do everything they tell you, Dana. If that was the case, you’d have no time to be anything other than a Slayer.” Dana swallowed hard at that and she looked away; looked anywhere but at her Watcher.

“Yeah, but that’s what I am now. That’s all I can be anymore.”

“That’s not the case, Dana. You can be a lot of things. Look at Buffy.”

“Look at Buffy,” Dana repeated. “What’s so different besides the fact that she has a boyfriend? A vampire boyfriend, at that? She goes out every night and gets herself all bruised up, same as me. Only difference is that at the end of the night, she’s got somebody to take care of her.”

“Buffy doesn’t need taken care of.”

“That’s not what I mean.” She shrugged. “And I don’t want a boyfriend either. The only thing I really need is a stake and a string of luck to get me through the night.”

“Dana, being the Slayer may have once been about that, but Buffy’s proven time and time again that it is possible to have much more.”

“Maybe she had to prove it, because she had the friends and the family to protect. I don’t have anybody.”

“That isn’t true.”

“Well, the people I know? They already have their Slayer. They don’t need me.”

“You have a lot to learn, Dana. And you sound as if you’re not coming back.”

“I told you I was.”

“Then why are you speaking to me like you’re about to go off and do something very stupid?” Dana shot Giles a look.

“I’m not gonna hurt anyone, if that’s what you’re asking.”

“I didn’t say you were. Dana, you have got to understand that there are people in this world who are good.”

“Yeah,” Dana said quietly. “I know. I just need a break.”

“From training?”

“No. Just…a break.” She closed her eyes and leaned against the headrest. “I don’t know if I’ll come back right away.”

“Dana…you really must continue your training.”

“You’re the one that just said I can have more than that. How can I if my life’s scheduled for me? Between you and the Council…” Giles felt a twinge of familiarity in the girl’s words. He remembered how he’d unintentionally hurt Buffy by putting her through things he never would have if it weren’t for the Council. Sure, Buffy had turned out just fine, but he couldn’t risk making those mistakes with Dana. Not when her disposition was so very different from Buffy’s. There was no telling what she might do if she wasn’t allowed a little freedom. He was certain she wasn’t a threat, but she was still a little unstable. She was going to have to be looked after closely.

“I’ll go with you.”

“What?”

“To London.”

“No. Giles, thanks for your concern, but I have to do this on my own. I have to show the Council that I’m gonna be fine. Then I’m gonna leave.”

“And go where?”

“I don’t know. But…but I’ll come back to Sunnydale. It’s the only place that feels…somewhat real to me anymore.” She sighed heavily. “Trust me, Giles. I know it’s not easy, but you have to try.”

***

“She did? Wow,” Buffy murmured, lying in bed with her hand absentmindedly rubbing her belly. “Ok. Well, thanks for calling, Giles. Tell her to be careful. Ok. Bye.” Spike was sitting on the edge of the bed removing his shoes.

“What was that all about?” he asked after he heard her hang up.

“Dana left.”

“What?”

“She was talking about it earlier. I just didn’t expect it to be tonight. She was kinda torn about it. It was like she didn’t want to go…but she didn’t want to stay, you know?”

“She’s got a lot of things on her mind, pet. She went from not even knowing who she was to realizing she’d done some pretty gruesome things. Now she’s going the right away again, and it’s hard for anything to feel real.”

“Sounds like you have some experience.”

“Yeah, well, I had help. When I got my soul back, I had you to come home to. Dana doesn’t have anybody. She’s just looking for a place to fit in. Look at me. I don’t fit in, but I’m not alone. I’ve got a family now.” He placed his hand over hers on her belly.

“Look at you, Mr. Insightful,” Buffy murmured. She shrugged a little and ran her fingers through his hair. “It’s better this way, anyway. I can tell everyone about the baby while she’s gone, and we won’t have to worry about the Council or anything. For a while, anyway.” She frowned.

“Don’t worry, pet,” he breathed, resting his head on her belly. “If they try one thing, any little thing…” He let out a slow, even breath. “They won’t know what hit them.” Buffy closed her eyes as Spike raised her shirt to place a kiss on her bare stomach. “You hear that, little bit? You’re staying safe inside your mum until it’s time to come out. I’ll protect you…always.”

Buffy watched him as he kissed her belly and talked to their baby. Her green eyes filled with tears when it hit her that Spike was her rock. Sure, she was the Slayer, and Slayers were supposed to be tough and fierce, but he was there when she couldn’t be. When she was tired or scared, he was her rock.

As she watched him, she thought about the night she came back. The night that seemed like so long ago, but in reality, really wasn’t. He’d held her. He’d made her feel safe in a world that no longer made sense to her. That was the night she realized he wasn’t the demon who thought he loved her. He was the man that did love her. That would do anything for her. And as she watched him now, she realized that that wasn’t going to change. He was going to be there.

He heard her breath hitch in her chest, and he looked up, his blue eyes boring into her green ones.

“What is it, pet? What’s wrong?” he wondered. “Are you hurt?” He examined her sides for any signs of bruising, but there was nothing but smooth, golden skin that prickled with goose bumps at his touch.

“It’s nothing,” she said with a little smile. “I just love you.” He crawled up the bed and over her to kiss her softly. Her hand moved to caress the side of his face. “Thanks for being here, Spike. I couldn’t do this without you.” He smiled a little and placed a kiss against her neck.

“Yes you could,” he murmured, “but you don’t have to. I’m here for the long haul, even if you get sick of me and want me out.”

“Good. I like it that way,” she smiled, leaning up to kiss him again. After a few moments, she sighed and pulled back. “Can we forget about the wild monkey love tonight?” Spike hesitated for a moment and pulled back, a little hurt. She shook her head and pulled him back toward her. “No…I mean…” She placed her hand on the back of his neck and brought his mouth down over hers. Her tongue gently slid against his lower lip, and she let out a soft breath. “Will you just…make love to me?” He smiled a little and leaned in to press a kiss to her forehead before easing her up to help her out of her clothes.

***

He lay there, unable to sleep, while she snored softly at his side. He’d never tell her she snored. As a matter of fact, it had to be a pregnancy thing. She’d never snored before. He’d spent many sleepless nights lying at her side, watching her breathe, watching the way her lips would curl up into a smile during a happy dream. Not one snore had ever escaped.

His hand brushed her naked hip, and he saw that smile return to her face. God, he loved these nights. He loved every night with her. When she’d asked him to make love to her, he’d seen right into her soul. She was afraid. She was damaged, but who wasn’t? She had a lot of problems in her past, and he had realized that she was still afraid of being left. He’d never leave her. He knew that. She had to know it now. Being away from her was painful. It physically hurt in his gut and his soul to be away from her for too long. It’d kill him to be away from her.

His hand moved to the slight swell in her belly, and he felt the skin shrink back in response. He smiled a little at that. Her body had its own rhythm, and that didn’t stop, even when she was in her deepest of sleeps.

As he lay there, not a sound could penetrate the constant thrumming he heard from her body. Her slow, steady heartbeat. The tiny, faster heartbeat coming from their little mystery. Slower than a hummingbird’s but faster than its mum’s.

He sighed and lay back, staring at the ceiling. He couldn’t concentrate. All he wanted to do was wake her up and stare into those beautiful green eyes. He wanted to kiss her and make her feel the happiness he felt right now. Every time he looked at her, he fell in love with her a little bit more. He couldn’t help himself. He’d fallen long ago, but there was no end to whatever had opened up and swallowed him whole. He just kept falling, and when he looked into her eyes, he could see that she was still falling too.

He’d been damned to an eternal life of violence and murder. Now, he was a lover, a friend, and soon, he’d be a father. It was funny the way things changed.

Still, he couldn’t sleep. Every time he closed his eyes, he thought about the future and what that held in store. He felt a tightness in his chest. The anticipation was getting to him. He just wanted to know that everything was going to be alright.

With a sigh, he rolled toward her and placed a kiss to her soft lips. He then pulled himself out of bed and dressed. Fumbling around for the pack of smokes Buffy had yelled at him for buying, he headed downstairs and settled down on the back porch steps. He lit up and took a long drag before letting it out, the smoke curling up into the night air like breath fog on a winter’s day.

But something else filled the air that night. The sound of footsteps carefully approaching from the trees had him on full alert. He stood up, peering out into the yard, letting the moonlight guide him. And when he saw a figure emerge from the trees, he swallowed hard, flicking his cigarette into the yard.

“Who are you?”

“It’s not important who I am.” It was a male voice, rough and menacing. He didn’t recognize the face which was partially hidden beneath a cloak hood.

“I think it bloody well is,” Spike replied, stepping down off the porch and coming up to stand in front of him. The man was older with a gray beard and piercing, yellow eyes. The demon in Spike immediately emerged to threaten the mysterious stranger. “You ought to talk, mate. It’s been a long time since I’ve gone on the hunt, but you should know I’m not above hunting you.”

“My name is Voraos.”

“What do you want?”

“I’ve come to warn you.” Spike’s face shifted to human again, and he cocked his head to the side.

“What’s the warning?”

“You’re in terrible danger.”

“Like I haven’t heard that one before. Keep talking, mate.”

“The Slayer is with child.” Spike immediately reached to grab the man by the throat, but his hands moved through him.

“How do you…”

“I’ve come to warn you. Strong forces will target the child.”

“It’s mum is the Slayer. Not a surprise there, mate.”

“You do not understand,” Voraos pointed out. “This child, the child of a vampire and a Slayer—a human child—is unheard of.” Spike swallowed hard, finding it more difficult now, as his throat had gone dry.

“You mean the demon world’s gonna come in droves to hunt us?”

“The demon world does not care about your child. It is only one more target in the Slayer’s life to them. It is human, therefore, not a threat.”

“So what forces are coming, if it’s not a legion of hell beasties?”

“Look within, vampire.” With that, Voraos was gone, and Spike was left alone in the cool, night air.

“Oi! Vor-ay-yos! Come back here, you sodding piece of…” But the night was silent. “Oh, fucking Hell.”


Chapter End Notes:
Hey guys! Hoped you liked the chapter! Lemme know what you think! Thanks!