Author's Chapter Notes:
So I realize it's been WAY over a year since I updated. Life kind of got in the way. Anyway, I'm going to try to get this story wrapped up and finished, because I've left too many stories of mine unfinished in the past.
Chapter 70: End Game

The entire household was awake now. Inside, Spike was being tended to by a worried Buffy. Outside, Faith was waiting on the cops to show up and take Dana away. She wasn’t exactly thrilled about the idea of having a run in with the cops, but at least this time, she was on the right side of the law.

No sirens were blaring yet, so she figured the cops were taking their own sweet time.

Inside, Hank Summers paced back and forth as he watched his daughter patch up her husband.

“I’m confused. I thought vampires were supposed to die when they get staked.”

“She missed his heart,” Buffy said quietly, “thank God. Spike, this is going to take a few days to heal. I want you to stay here.”

“I’m not letting you take on Travers on your own,” Spike insisted. “And to be honest, I’d really like to have another go at Miss Psycho Slayer.”

“Leave her to the cops,” Buffy breathed. “Hate that it has to be this way, but the Council’s not going to be able to control her. Not with Travers in charge.”

The sound of sirens outside distracted them all from the conversation, and Spike stood and headed for the door, wrapped in bandages but wanting to see the bitch that almost killed him get hauled off.

But, as everyone piled out onto the porch, Faith turned to see them, and in that instant, Dana’s eyes flew open, and she sprang to her feet, seemingly completely rejuvenated.

“Dana,” Buffy murmured quietly. Faith spun around, starting toward the girl. But, Dana turned quickly and fled. Wasting no time, Faith took off in full pursuit of her.

“Dawn! Can you finish bandaging Spike? I have to…”
“You’re not going after her. Not in your condition,” Hank said firmly. “Faith can handle it.”

“You don’t understand, Dad,” Buffy said through gritted teeth. “Travers pumped her up with drugs and brainwashed her. Now that she doesn’t have her supply, she doesn’t know who to trust. If she gets away, she’s gonna end up killing somebody. I need to go with Faith.”
“Buffy,” Spike said slowly.


“I don’t have time to argue about this! Spike, they want our baby dead, and I’m not about to sit around and wait. I’m gonna find Travers, and I’m gonna make sure he never comes near us again.”

Knowing they couldn’t argue with her, they stood down.

***

Faith had followed Dana’s trail all the way down the docks where the large ships were floating like sleeping giants on the still waters. She peered around, looking for any sign of the crazed Slayer. The only thing she knew was that she wanted to try and get Dana out of this alive. If it came down to it, she knew she could kill her. Faith had it in her. Only this time, the idea frightened her. It had only been a few years since she worked for Mayor Wilkins, and it was amazing how quickly she’d changed.

Besides, if she made with the killing, another Slayer would be called, and who knew what that one would be like. It was best to deal with what they knew and figure out a way to keep Dana from hurting anybody.

Faith jumped when she heard running footsteps approaching, and she turned to see the pregnant Slayer rushing down the docks. Faith crossed her arms, and when Buffy stopped, the blonde Slayer cocked her head to the side.

“What?”

“What’s wrong with you? Pregnancy make you forget the meaning of stealth?” Buffy frowned.

“Where is she?” she asked, ignoring Faith’s question.

“I don’t know. She’s near. I lost track of her just as I was coming up the bridge.” The only sound they could hear now was the water lapping up against the sides of the boats, and then somewhere in the distance, they both heard the creak of wood at the same time.

Communicating only with their eyes, they each nodded, one going one way, one going the other, and they headed to trap the other Slayer on both sides.

However, when they met back up, both were startled to see Dana standing under the only lit streetlamp, and Quentin Travers was standing with her. Dana was shaking, and both Buffy and Faith could visibly see that. It was then, under the streetlight, Buffy saw the gleam of something silver, and she realized that Travers had a needle. Dana let out a piercing scream, and that was Buffy’s cue. She took off toward the two, and Faith was right on her heels.

It was too late, and Dana let out a shriek as the needle pierced her skin. But just as quickly as it had happened, Buffy pushed Dana out of the way, and the girl fell back, clutching her bleeding arm.

“Grab her. I’ve got Travers.” Buffy’s gaze never left his. The older gentleman, in appearance, looked like a kindly old grandfather, but Buffy knew better. “So, what was the plan, huh? Use your psycho juice on the Slayers, get them to be your little toy killing machines? Did it piss you off that much when I turned my back on the counsel? You had to come up with a way to control me?”

“Sadly, Ms. Summers, we have no control over who is Chosen. Unfortunately, the Counsel never expected something with your…tenacity.”

“Well, what can I say? I’m just full of surprises.” She smirked and folded her arms across her chest. Dana struggled, but Faith held her arms firmly behind her back. The girl was teetering somewhere between sanity and insanity now, and when the struggling became too rough, Faith knocked her on the back of the head, and Dana went down.


“So, what is it, anyway? What is it you’re pumping your Psycho Slayer up with?”

“It’s an experimental drug that…”

“That’s probably going to leave her completely insane?”

“She was insane before the treatment, Ms. Summers. I simply helped her. I made her into the perfect Slayer.”

“Oh, so long as she kept taking your medicine, right?”

“Sometimes, drastic measures must be taken to ensure the betterment of the world.”

“Right, like killing innocent babies just because a vampire isn’t supposed to be able to produce children?”

“It’s an abomination.”

“My baby isn’t an abomination,” Buffy sneered.

“Its father is a demon!” Buffy punched the old man in the face. There was a time when the thought irked her, because he was old enough to be her father, but now she really didn’t give a damn. She was willing to kill to protect her family if it was necessary.

Travers stumbled back and held his nose as blood spurted from it.

“I’m gonna give you two choices, Mr. Travers,” Buffy murmured, stepping closer to him. “And I doubt you’re going to like either one of them.”