Chapter 13: A New Mission



Buffy woke up to Harmony’s annoying voice saying, “Rise and shine. Breakfast will arrive in 5 minutes. Same as always?”

Buffy sighed not feeling hungry and feeling like she had died. God why didn’t she remember the hangover she had after drinking with Spike. She groaned as Harmony said, “Some aspirins, orange juice, and some bread with peanut butter sound good?”

Buffy replied, “Sounds good. Thanks.”

Buffy rolled out of bed and threw on another pair of jogging pants and a blue tank top and sighed. She looked like shit. She could care less really.

She sat down as Harmony entered bringing the much need aspirin and Buffy grabbed the bottle and poured some into her mouth swallowing them without any water.

Harmony looked at her surprised saying, “You aren’t suicidal are you? I can’t do CPR being a vampire and all. I guess I could call Fred or Wesley or Gunn. They are about the only non-demon and non-vampire types in the building.”

Buffy shook her head and groaned holding it saying, “No I’m just feeling like I got run over.” She laid back on the bed and Harmony pitied the girl.

She handed Buffy some orange juice saying, “Drink up. Actually hold on.”

She buzzed Lorne and a minute or two later, Lorne knocked on the door saying, “I got a cure! Can I come in?”

Harmony answered, “Come on in but I think it’s too late, she’s dying already.”

Lorne chuckled and helped Buffy to sit up saying, “Listen up baby cakes. Drink this up and you will be feeling much better in no time.”

Buffy took a whiff of it saying, “Oh God what is that?”

Lorne grinned and said, “Not my recipe I’m afraid but I learned it from the best. I had delivered one just a few minutes ago to someone who was in dire need as well. You scotch drinkers need to slow down.”

He mouthed the word ‘Spike’ to Harmony who nodded and watched Buffy drink the milkshake like concoction.

Buffy finished it handing it back to Lorne wiping her mouth on the back of her hand saying, “That stuff works fast.”

She took a bit of bagel and ate a few more bites. Lorne smiled seeing she was eating something and said, “Anytime ducks.”

Buffy looked at Lorne with a longing and Lorne realized he had used the same nickname Spike sometimes uses. At that moment Lorne made a decision. He would give the lovebirds another day to accidentally meet before he intervened.

He patted Buffy knee and gave Harmony a smile taking the glass with him as he said, “See you tonight sweetie pie” before waving as the elevator closed.

Harmony looked at Buffy saying, “What are your plans today?”

Buffy shrugged saying, “I’m supposed to help Wesley with something.”

Harmony smiled saying, “probably with the urn he got last night. He seemed really excited about it this morning.”

Buffy looked curious, “An urn he got last night?” Harmony nodded hoping Buffy didn’t ask where he got it but she didn’t.

She instead finished off her orange juice and stood up saying, “Ok how do I get to Wesley’s office.”

Harmony frowned at her and Buffy said, “What?”

Harmony answered, “you aren’t a vamp so surely you can see your reflection. You look like Hell.”

Buffy frowned and looked in the mirror and agreed, “Give me a few seconds.” She went into the bathroom washing her face and brushed her teeth. She came back out and put on some powder and foundation and a bit of rouge. She put some vanilla lotion on her hands and dabbed strawberry lip gloss on and said, “How’s that?”

Harmony smiled and said, “Much better. Here my card will take us right there.”

Buffy stepped in watching Harmony punch in 7 and asked, “Who are the other numbers you have programmed?”

Harmony answered, “1 is my desk, 2 is Angel’s, 3 is Lorne’s club, 4 is Fred’s lab, 5 is Gunn’s Law offices, 6 is hmm I’m not sure what 6 is.” She knew what 6 was. It was Spike’s apartment but she couldn’t tell Buffy that so she continued, “7 is Wesley, 8 is yours and 9 is the garage and 10 is my apartment. Some others you don’t know are 11-15.”

Buffy nodded saying, “How do you remember that?”

Harmony shrugged saying, “not much else to remember around here. I type, take calls, deliver messages, greet and meet and that’s about it. Life of a secretary is pretty boring.”

Buffy nodded remembering typing for Gunn the day before. Buffy grinned saying, “better than working at Double Meat Palace in Sunnydale.”

Harmony gasped saying, “You worked there? That sucks.”

Buffy nodded her head in agreement as the door opened finally. She stepped out thanking Harmony.

Wesley grinned at Buffy saying, “Good. Excellent timing. I need you to look through these books to look for information on the urn while I continue to work with the journals.”


@}-’--, --’--, --’--, -{@



Spike woke up with a pounding headache. He punched 3 on his intercom and heard Lorne’s cheery voice saying, “One concoction coming right up shortcake.”

Spike muttered, “Thanks” as he rolled over pulling the sheet over his head.

A few minutes later Lorne barged through the door holding up a glass and pulled sheet down enough to see Spike’s face saying, “Ok Champ, sit up and down this stuff so you can feel better already.”

Spike drank it up noticing Lorne had another in his hand, “Who’s that for?”

Lorne shrugged saying, “A girl who got drunk last night. Is this stuff ok for humans?”

Spike shrugged saying, “Pretty strong but I guess so. You sharing my recipe?”

Lorne shook his head dying to start trouble by saying with your dream girl but instead said, “Nah this is an exception. Poor girl was upset about someone who died and needed some comfort and chose scotch and is now paying for it in the morning.”

Spike’s first thoughts were of Buffy he shook it off saying, “Best of luck to her.”

Lorne nodded and took the glass saying, “See you tonight?”

Spike shrugged saying, “I got a mission in L.A. not sure how long it will last. I’ll come by and see you next I’m here though.”

Lorne grinned saying, “You can grace us with another song. My public love you.”

Spike grinned and waited for Lorne to leave to get dressed. He then swiped his card and pushed in 13 to go to Angel’s place. He had put it as the number 13 because not only was it unlucky, it also looked like an ass sideways and that’s what he thought wanker’s face looked like.

He sighed as she stepped out of the elevator saying, “What do you want me to do exactly?”

Angel jumped up at Spike’s voice thankful Buffy was busy saying, “East side of L.A., there’s a demon contact. He has some information I need only problem is he’s on the run and I don’t know where he went. His name is Leopard. He’s a vampire but day is pretty cloudy and really rainy so I’m sure you both can wander around fairly easy enough. I’d check with Lurch first at 119 Maple Hill Street and work from there. Good luck.”

Spike looked at him saying, “Um poof, aren’t you forgetting something?”

Angel’s eyes got wide and said, “What?”

Spike said, “First car keys, second what information?”

Angel sighed getting some keys from the desk. He had been hiding them so Spike couldn’t use the car but he just wanted him gone so the keys were the least of his worries, “I want to know where the vampires took Candy. She’s a client of ours and is supposedly getting pregnant or is pregnant or something about pregnant and she’s missing and the higher ups think Leopard either took her or knows where she’s hiding. We need her at Wolfram and Hart to discuss the options for her baby.”

Spike shrugged saying, “Sounds like a piece of cake. I’ll be back soon.”

He twirled around leaving his jacket to trail behind him as he punched 4 to get to the garage. The sooner he finished this mission, the sooner he does the Africa one and the sooner he can really think about seeing about information on Buffy.