Chapter 14: Mission Two



Buffy sat dutifully and looked through the books Wesley had placed before her. She didn’t find the urn yet but these books held fascinating pictures and they were so vivid. She could see why Wesley enjoyed this part of his job. She wanted action but could handle this for a bit.

She flipped through happily and heard Wesley say, “Want something to drink Buffy? I’m famished and I imagine you are too. I could order us lunch if you want.”

Buffy knew he was trying so she said, “How about some buffalo wings and a diet coke?”

Wesley smiled knowing this was the first time Buffy had ordered lunch since she had arrived. He put in the order ordering one for himself as well and ordered two chocolate chip cookies to tempt her. He watched her as she sat looking at books and decided that when lunch arrived and they were eating he would approach the topic of Spike. He went back for now and scanned another page of the watcher journal.


@}-’--, --’--, --’--, -{@



Spike drank his hot mug of blood and nibbled on the buffalo wings he had ordered before he left. He couldn’t resist those and remembered him and Buffy munching on them from his place and hers. She could sure eat as many as him easily and never gained a pound. He chuckled remembering the time she had eaten his plate and hers and still was hungry. Granted there weren’t many per plate but still. It was his fault for offering to pay.

He wiped his hands on the wet cloth Lorne had provided and smiled after heard already from Lurch that Leopard was on the west side of town at a risky club full of vampires who enjoyed kinky sex. He wasn’t really looking forward to entering that place but if he could just finish this mission he’d be thrilled.


@}-’--, --’--, --’--, -{@



Buffy sat across from Wesley and nibbled on a buffalo wing. She tasted it enjoying the spicy flavor and said, “Who made these?”

Wesley grinned saying, “Lorne. He said he knew just how to make them. Are they to your liking?”

Buffy nodded and said, “reminds me of homemade ones that were once made for me.”

Wesley noticed the far away look in her eyes and figured it was now or never, “So Buffy how exactly did Spike die?”

Buffy frowned but took another bite of her buffalo wings saying, “Well Angel bought me a necklace for him to wear. I gave it to Spike because he was my champion with a soul. L.A.’s champion is Angel, my champion was Spike.”

Wesley nodded saying, “So he wore the amulet.”

Buffy nodded and swallowed another bit before saying, “And he kept saying he felt nothing. Then I was fighting and I got hurt and as I got up, I killed a few vamps and I heard Spike say my name. I turned around and he was glowing. He told me he could feel it. I asked him what and he replied his soul and that it was burning. I’m guessing now the fire from the amulet was burning but we didn’t know that at the time.”

Wesley whispered softly, “What happened then?”

Buffy frowned and rubbed her hand where the scar was and Wesley noticed saying, “Did you get the scar that day?”

Buffy nodded saying, “I grasped his hand and when I did, it burned me. If he was alive I imagine he’d have the same burn mark.”

Wesley replied before thinking, “He does…”

He noticed Buffy looking at him strangely and said, “Well looking at it, it matches where you would hold someone’s hand and he would have to have the same one.”

Buffy nodded and sighed.

Wesley decided to go in for the kill needing to know if Fred was right in being so upset at Angel’s behavior, “Did you love Spike?”

Buffy nodded whispering, “Still do.”

Wesley sighed and didn’t like the answer. He was hoping she would say did but not the still do. This complicated things and he knew how love felt. He loved Fred and couldn’t have her as more than a friend. He patted her hand saying, “It’ll get better.”

Buffy nodded saying, “I hope so. Doesn’t feel like it’s getting any better.”

Wesley nodded and still repeated, “It will get better.” He knew what he had to do but wasn’t sure how to pull it off. It would be tricky getting it to look natural. Perhaps it would all unfold by itself.

Buffy pushed her plate away only having eaten about 6 mini buffalo wings but it was the first time in months that she had eaten lunch. She took the wipes Lorne had provided and wiped her hands saying, “Can I keep these to munch on once in a while, I’ll be sure to keep my hands clean. I just want to get some more work done.”

Wesley nodded placing a few wipes in front of her and said, “Yea just keep the books clean but that’s fine.”

Buffy sat back in her chair comparing the pictures again with the urn determined to find the answer.


@}-’--, --’--, --’--, -{@



Spike growled and kicked the asses of 3 vampires before dusting them. He was pounded in his stomach and had a bruise on his arm. He still had 5 more vampires to deal with who were quickly making haste in his direction.

He took a deep breath that he didn’t need and spun kicked the first vampire who arrived knocking him into the wall. He dodged a punch but groaned as another landed making him fly back into the wall. He rolled over ignoring the pain in his head and back as he swung his leg under the vampire, who jumped and threw a punch at Spike’s head. He hit his eye reopening the cut from two nights ago and Spike growled and punched the vampire against the wall.

He climbed the wall to take ahead of a hanging light and swung at the vampires knocking 3 in a row on the floor before jumping over them and landed on the table. He jumped down off the table and broke a chair leg off and threw it staking one of the vampires who were struggling to get up.

Spike counted down thinking only four were left now. He broken another leg off and jumped onto a vampire knocking him to the ground whispering 3 left as one picked him up and threw him into the table breaking it. He sighed in relief that no splinters pierced his heart and stood up again to fit the remaining three vampires.

He kicked one and managed to dodge the second’s punch but the third landed a kick into his stomach again. He groaned regretting eating the buffalo wings and jumped on the back of one of the vampires twisting it’s head off thinking two left. He turned to the last two.

He threw a stake hitting one leaving him down to one, who happened to be the leader. Spike stood in front of him saying, “Where’s the girl?”

The vampire shrugged saying, “Safely tucked in for the night, she’s safe here.”

Spike glared at him saying, “Safe from what? Your friends? I’d say so since I dusted them? She surely isn’t safe from you since you’re alive.”

The leader replied, “You don’t know who you are dealing with.”

Spike smirked saying, “Enlighten me then. My name’s Spike or William the Bloody. I’ve saved the world a few times, died a few times, dusted once, but I’m still alive and kicking. So what’s your great rep like?”

The vampire replied, “Name is Hinz. I’ve been alive probably longer than you and probably done more than you have.”

Spike grinned saying, “Nah, no way. I’ve killed two slayers and banged one. Can you say you did that?”

The vampire looked impressed saying, “No but then again I don’t think I’d bang a human. Vampires are more my taste.”

Spike shrugged saying, “Your lost. She was one hot girl. Ruined me for any other being.”

The leader shrugged saying, “I’ll have to see about that myself then after I take you out. So where’s your little misses?”

Spike growled feeling angry someone who dare to touch Buffy and said, “You’ll never find her.”

He threw a kick at the vampire who jumped back and Spike threw a few punches, which he missed. Spike spun around and side kicked the vampire throwing him against the wall. Spike jumped over the table to punch the vampire again and again against the wall and then picked him up and threw him into the table. He landed on a leg and dusted.

Spike sighed and wiped his hand on his pants saying, “That fight was pathetic. Wonder where this Candy is.” He wandered into the back rooms to see if he could find her.