Author's Chapter Notes:
Song used in this chapter is Wind Beneath my Wings By Bette Midler.

Chapter 16: A Song Well Sung



Buffy sat at the table drinking her juice as Lorne said, “Ready to sing cupcake?”

Buffy nodded knowing just what she would sing tonight. She would in her head dedicate it to Spike. To her it would always be their song for the wedding that never took place. She took the microphone in hand and started to sing.

Wind Beneath My Wings By Bette Midler

It must have been cold there in my shadow/To never have sunlight on your face/You were content to let me shine, that’s your way/You always walked a step behind/So I was the one with all the glory/While you were the one with all the strain/A beautiful face without a name for so long/A beautiful smile to hide the pain.

Angel got a call and answered it without thinking.

He heard Spike yell into the phone, “You are the club? Err…”

The phone got completely silent and then he heard, “Bloody Hell. That’s Buffy!”

The phone went dead and Angel looked around in a panic. Buffy was in the middle of her song. He only hoped he had time to get her away before Spike appeared.

Wind Beneath my Wings By Beet Midler

Did I ever tell you that you’re my hero/And everything I wish I could be?/I can fly higher than an eagle/For you are the wind beneath my wings/It might have appeared to go unnoticed/But I’ve got it all here in my heart/I want you to know I know the truth/Of course I know it/I would be nothing without you./Did I ever tell you that you’re my hero/And everything I wish I could be/I can fly higher than an eagle/For you are the wind beneath my wings/Did I ever tell you that you’re my hero/And everything I wish I could be/I can fly higher than an eagle/For you are the wind beneath my wings/Oh, the wind beneath my wings/You, you, you, you are the wings beneath my wings/Fly, fly, fly away, you let me fly so high/Oh you, you, you you, the wind beneath my wings/Oh you, you, you, you the wind beneath my wings/ Fly, fly, fly high against the sky/So high I almost touch the sky/Thank you, thank you/Thank God for you, the wind beneath my wings.

Angel was bouncing by the time the song ended and grabbing Buffy’s hand saying, “I have something I want to show you.”

Buffy followed him looking unsure saying, “Right now? I was thinking of doing another song tonight since I still have that rush from the training room.”

Angel pulled on her arm slightly saying, “Yea right now. Come on. It’s a skylight to see the stars and I heard it will be cloudy later so it has to be now.”

Buffy shrugged and followed along as he swiped his card hitting 4 numbers so fast she couldn’t make them out. She stepped out and onto the roof. She gasped at the beauty of it saying, “This is amazing. Look at so many stars.”

She looked and felt so close to heaven it wasn’t funny. She twirled around on the roof for a moment feeling free as she laid down on her back to look up at the stars. Angel watched her thinking she reminded him of Dru at that moment and smiled and laid down next to her thinking it was a good night to make his move with Spike looking for her. He couldn’t believe his stupidity in picking up the phone.

He sighed and tried to hold her hand. Buffy didn’t seem interested and blatantly ignored his advances starting at the stars and pretending to point out a planet saying, “Is that Venus?”

Angel sighed and replied, “I think so. There’s a chart around the office somewhere. Fred might know where it is. We can ask her tomorrow.”

Buffy nodded and said, “This is beautiful but I’m tired. Can I head back to my room now? Perhaps I’ll come up here tomorrow if you’d show me the way. Tomorrow should be clear too I think.”

Angel was nervous because his phone was ringing off the hook but figured Spike wouldn’t be able to find her in her room so that seemed like a good plan. He said sure, “Let’s use my card so I can take you straight there.”

Buffy nodded and stepped into the elevator. Angel made sure to use the overwrite button so no one could stop them on the way down as he took her to her room where she would be safe from prying eyes.


@}-’--, --’--, --’--, -{@



Spike stormed into the club smelling the scent of vanilla and strawberries and not even bothering to try to explain the scent away. He walked over to the table where the gang was sitting and picked up a glass of fruit punch and licked the rim tasting strawberry lip-gloss.

Everyone was staring at him as he said, “Ok where did the jerk rod take her. All week I have smelled her and no one bothered to tell me she was here? What kind of friends are you people?”

Everyone looked really guilty realizing they had really messed up. Spike continued as he threw the glass against the wall, “Where did he take her?”

Fred spoke up gently, “We don’t know. She was singing and finished and he pulled her out of here saying he had something to show her.”

Spike growled feeling extremely pissed off saying, “Where is she staying?”

Everyone looked around as though they didn’t know. He repeated, “Where is she staying???”

Lorne didn’t say a word but walked over the elevator and swiped his card pushing 13 and stepped back out as the door closed.


@}-’--, --’--, --’--, -{@




Angel followed Buffy into the room saying, “You going to head up to sleep?”

Buffy nodded hoping he left and she wasn’t disappointed. He said, “I’ll get Harmony to bring you breakfast again and I’m thinking we can go out somewhere together. Like an opera. That sound ok?”

Buffy nodded hoping to get rid of him. She just wanted to lay on her bed and think of Spike. She was feeling him so close it wasn’t funny.

Angel nodded saying, “See you tomorrow.” He stepped into the elevator he had overwritten making it so that it couldn’t be used and headed up to his room thinking it would just be overwritten all night.

Buffy stripped out of her clothes looking in the mirror and sighed. She felt lousy and empty and alone and so sad.

She crawled into her bed pulling a silk shirt on her like the ones she used to wear when she was at Spike’s. She closed her eyes trying to imagine him with her and couldn’t. She rubbed her scar on her head thinking of him and sighed.


Chapter End Notes:
The Chapter you guys have all been waiting for!!