Chapter 4: Expectations



Buffy lay on the bed sipping grape juice.

She had 5 bites of her sandwich they had sent for her to eat and she was drinking her grape juice. She didn’t want to deal with Angel but she knew he would send for her in a few minutes and she had to at least pretend to smile.

He was taking her out to a nightclub to show her a good time. Fred and Wesley were going as well. Gunn had to work late and Lorne had to run his own nightclub.

Buffy was thankful at least Wesley and Fred would be there. Perhaps that would mean she wouldn’t have to dance much.

She longed for the days in Sunnydale where she could get lost in the music. Now the only thing she got lost in was memories.

She remembered him at the Bronze eating buffalo wings and drinking beer. He was the only vampire she knew who ate food. He really enjoyed it too. He loved onion blossoms, her mom’s hot cocoa, as well as some other stuff. He loved spicy food.

She can remember him ordering take out for them to eat after a long rough night of lovemaking. She pondered the word lovemaking. Could she really call what they experienced before his soul lovemaking? She shrugged realizing she thought of it as lovemaking so therefore it must be.

She heard the buzzer go saying, “Angel will see you now.” She got up and headed up to his office.


@}-’--, --’--, --’--, -{@



Buffy was dressed in a red tank top and black jeans. She didn’t even realize she had picked his favorite outfit until she had looked at herself in the mirror only to break down in tears as she could hear his voice saying, “Hi Cutie. You look amazing.”

She almost had changed but decided this made her look good. She sat at the table drinking beer but sitting unhappy.

Fred and Wesley were talking up a storm with Angel and no one seemed to notice how quiet she really was. She got lost in thoughts as she remembered their last night sleeping together in each other’s arms knowing it might be their last. She had really never thought she’d live and that he would die. She figured he was too much of a mean ole vampire to die. If anyone should have died, it should have been her. She was stabbed but instead she lived and he died.

She sighed taking another sip of beer wishing for the night to end already. She felt pretty blessed no one bothered her to dance. They seemed content to pass the night away telling stories.


@}-’--, --’--, --’--, -{@




Spike was pissed. He went into Lorne’s nightclub and ordered a double shot of scotch on the rocks. Lorne frowned saying, “What has gotten you so upset.” Spike muttered about a temple not existing and Angel just wanting him away from the building.

Lorne didn’t know what to say so he only said, “I’m sure Angel just got his wires crossed on where the location was. You know how sometimes things are not where they are supposed to be.”

Spike muttered saying, “Angel the wanker just wants me gone. He doesn’t want competition. I just want to do the good fight and Angel is trying to do it here. I don’t have Buffy to go back to, I can’t go to her friends and I can’t fight the good fight alone.”

He stopped talking and drank down 4 more shots within a matter of minutes.

Lorne didn’t know how much liquor this boy could hold but figured he had to be getting pretty drunk.

He was really curious about something so he said, “Why don’t you go pick something to sing, Spike.”

Spike looked around the room and shrugged saying, “give me another double and I will.”

Lorne shrugged giving him another double and watched as Spike threw it back easy enough.

Spike then walked up to the microphone to sing a song that meant something to his heart.

Good Night Sweet Girl by Ghost of the Robot

Are we done for now/or is this for good/Will there be something in time?/With us there should./Only girl for me is you/There can be no other one/If I didn’t have faith/I would come undone/So much promise in your eyes/Seems I can only see/It makes me wonder/If you save it all for me/Maybe you do/Maybe you don’t/Maybe you should/Probably won’t/’Cause there will be/There will be other guys/Who will whisper in your ear/Say they’ll take away your sadness/And your fears/They may be kind and true/They may be good for you/But they’ll never care for you/More than I do/I’ll always be there/There to the end/I can’t do much/But be your one true friend/To the end/Through the end/With each other till the end/of time/Still see the promise in your eyes/And still wonder if its for me/But I know it’s still there/Even when you sleep/So I say good night sweet girl

Spike bowed and heard the crowd cheer and yell, “Encore.”

Spike was so drunk and missing Buffy that he shrugged and started to sing again.

Smile by James Marsters

In, I’m falling in/I didn’t want to/Not so fast boy/Slow/Don’t wanna hurt the girl/Give her a pretty box/You’d better fill it/And I get blinded when she opens the door/It’s like looking into the sun, you know/And I’m just blinkin’, mumblin’, starin’ at my shoes/And she just looks at me/And smiles/Smiles, smiles/Oh, there we go again/And it feels so good/We’re fallin’ up and down/Damn it’s 2 am again/And she kisses me goodbye/for the sixteenth time/And I’m drivin’ home, it’s 5 am/And I look at the sun come up over the hills/Clouds are turnin’ pink and green/And all I can see is her eyes/Eyes,eyes/And I get blinded when she opens the door/It’s like looking into the sun, you know/And I’m just blinkin’, mumblin’, starin’ at my shoes/And she just looks at me/And smiles/Smiles smiles…smiles

Spike bowed as the place went up in cheers.

Spike stepped off the stage and sat down saying, “Another double greenie?”

Lorne sighed and poured him a double. Lorne was amazed at that reading. It was purely love and he knew Angel was doing wrong but could do nothing about it.

He gave Spike two more doubles before Angel buzzed to see if Spike was there and asked for him to be sent up. He took a piece of paper jotting down a recipe and handed over to Lorne saying, “When I buzz you in the morning, bring me that.”

Lorne nodded and watched as Spike took a double with him as he went into the room.

Lorne said to himself watching Spike breeze out of the club, “That boy is love walking on two legs.”

He shook his head thinking Angel was doing a real injustice to those two lovebirds. He wondered if it was returned love.

He made a point to invite Buffy and Angel to his club tonight to see if he can make both of them sing something.

Spike lit up a cigarette not caring about the people who were glaring at him.

He kicked open Angel’s door and said, “You sent me on a wild goose chase. There was no bleeding temple and bloody hell all that was there were cows!”

Angel knew he had to get rid of Spike and fast and knew just the mission. This one would really exist but it was already looted but Spike could be told it was looted just before he got there.

Angel stood up knowing he had to handle this with care in order to make Spike still leave.

Spike looked at him strangely smelling vanilla on him but Buffy was heavy on his mind so he was probably just imagining it. Ever since he sang that song, Buffy was really on his mind.

He heard Angel say, “I’m sorry Spike. I was just going off what I was told. I didn’t expect you back so soon and was going to give this mission to Gunn but he’s in a case and I really need this done. I was told today that there’s a scroll in the tomb in Egypt. The temple really exists I promise you. I need you to get there before the demons raid it. It won’t take you that long. Probably 3 days max.”

Spike sighed feeling drunk and tired saying, “Am I leaving right away? I’d rather get there and get back already.”

He was going crazy feeling like Buffy was everywhere and needed to get out of here.

Angel nodded saying, “Plane is ready and Spike be careful.”

Spike put out his cigarette in Angel’s blood mug and waltzed out of the room to go do this mission.