Chapter 9: Just Another Day



Spike found a clean spot near a few coins, which he shoved in his pocket and peeled off his jacket and laid down on top of it as he suddenly felt a warm, damp body near him. She smelt fresh out of the shower and her hair was even a bit wet. He refused to open his eyes knowing the drill by now and wrapped his arms around her and noticed a cut over her eye, and whispered to her, “You’re hurt above your eye.” He felt the blond image nod in front of him saying, “So are you.” He hugged her closely listening to her heartbeat, which sounded so clear even though it was not real. The silk sheets felt so soft and warm as he closed his eyes and drifted off to sleep.


@}-’--, --’--, --’--, -{@



Buffy turned and waved to Angel and Gunn saying, “That was almost fun. We should do it again soon.”

Angel was happy to see she was chattering when they were walking back to the car. She listened attentively as they shared their experiences and then shared her own with the vampire nest.

She sighed though as she now felt the rush leave her. She swiped her card punching 1 and leaned against the wall as the elevator took her down.

She stripped out of her clothes jumping into the shower for a quick rinse off. She washed the dirt and grim out of her hair and sighed as she noticed the cut over her eye was definitely noticeable. Hopefully over night it would heal.

She crawled into bed after sliding on a long shirt and felt arms wrap around her. She swore she could hear him speak as though he were right here with her, “You’re hurt above your eye.” She nodded within thinking it was fake saying, “So you are.” She sighed as he hugged her closely and let the safety of his arms lure her to sleep. Before she drifted off she could have sworn it felt as though she were sleeping in a cave on his soft leather jacket.


@}-’--, --’--, --’--, -{@



Spike groaned as he rolled over sensing it was the start of nightfall. He threw his jacket back around him and looked around the cave one more time to see if there was anything else worth bringing. He saw a particularly interesting urn and a vial of something, which he walked outside with and added to the satchel on the side of his camel.

The three desert dwellers were already saddling up to get going. The talking one said, “Ready to go there son?”

Spike nodded just aiming to get out of here. He knew there was another night’s travel ahead of him plus a long plane ride. Plus he would lose 9 hours. He wouldn’t make it back really for another full day and into the night so he would be gone close to the 3 days Angel expected even with his rushing to get the job done tonight.

He sighed climbing back on his damn camel’s back and took out a water skin and downed it to help ease his banged up body and the cut above his head and then took a few sips of another. He figured he finished a water skin on the way out so one should be enough for the way back but he’d leave 2 just in case of trouble.

He growled taking another sip muttering, “I still bet that tub of blood was just drinking tons of blood leaving good ole Spike here with the leftovers.”

He honestly was content with the amount Angel had planned for him but it didn’t like to feel like he was living on rations like a pet. He sighed again as the camels started to move closer to the end of his mission.


@}-’--, --’--, --’--, -{@



Buffy woke up to Harmony buzzing her saying, “I’m coming down in 5 to bring your breakfast again. Want anything special or are bagels and apple juice ok?”

Buffy felt a tad bit hungry but figured that was fine, “That’s fine. Thanks.”

Buffy got up and changed into jogging pants and a tank top deciding to slum it today.

She had no idea what she would be doing but her muscles were sore after her work out with the vampires yesterday. She actually hoped to hit a gym today. She figured with all this stuff there had to be a workout area around here and she was enjoying the feeling of her muscles aching. It felt good to feel something for a change.

She looked in the mirror noticing the cut looked a little better and for a moment she remembered the cuts she had on her hand that Spike had tenderly took care of for her. S

he shook her head snapping herself out of it as Harmony bounced into the room carrying an orange, apple juice, two bagels and a mug of warm blood which she guessed meant Harmony was planning to eat with her.

Buffy shrugged going to sit down on the chair across from Harmony and grabbed the juice taking a few sips to wash down the vitamins she had put in her hand to take. She decided to eat some of the bagel today and started to spread the cream cheese over the top of it as Harmony studied her for a minute.

Harmony broke the silence saying, “How’d you get hurt?”

Buffy shrugged saying, “Vampire punched me. Luckily I didn’t get a black eye, just the cut.”

Harmony nodded and took some sips of her blood enjoying the taste. She never missed human blood anymore. She was so used to otter that she had no complaints.

Harmony decided to brave the topic she was curious about and said, “If Spike were alive today…what would you do?”

Buffy looked up at Harmony who was taking another sip of her blood and Buffy figured the girl was just trying to make conversation.

She figured she was harmless enough and said, “I’m not sure. He’s dead and died for a good cause. I feel selfish for wanting him back.”

Harmony said nothing not really understanding that logic but figured she lacked a soul and maybe that was a soul deal so instead she said, “Would you want him around? He was always annoying you and stuff.”

Buffy thought about that for a moment and before she could stop the words said, “I miss his annoying self. He had a way of making me get so angry but I liked it. I felt something. I miss the feeling of being annoyed. I miss the sound of his voice saying, ‘SLAYER’ all cranky like.”

Buffy looked up noticing she was actually talking to Harmony and said, “Why?”

Harmony shrugged not wanting to give anything away or Angel would kill her and instead said, “I’ve never loved anyone like that before really. I know vampires can love and love well especially souled. I can’t believe Spike got a soul for you.”

Buffy looked surprised saying, “Angel tell you that?”

Harmony shook her head saying, “No Willow did when Willow came.”

Buffy nodded thinking that made sense. Harmony breathed a sigh in relieve thinking Buffy bought it. Harmony looked up noticing she had actually eaten one of the smaller bagels but that was about it. S

he shrugged thinking that was all she was going to eat and said, “Angel said when you get done breakfast you can go upstairs to see him. Want me to bring you up?”

Buffy noticed Harmony didn’t say anything about her awful eating habits and said, “Sure.” She tossed the rest of the food into her getting full garbage can and followed Harmony up to Angel’s office.