CHAPTER EIGHT: Progress

Birds were chirping and the sun was shining on Buffy’s face. She was warm, and content, and beyond relaxed. She hadn’t slept that good in a long time. Around her the blankets were warm, and the body holding her was hard and lean.

Wait… The body?

Buffy’s eyes shot open and her body went rigid as she took in her surroundings. It only took a second for her to realize who was holding her. That wasn’t really a surprise after what she’d seen in his eyes last night. What had her slightly uncomfortable, however, was the pressure of something poking her backside as he lay spooned behind her. Her face flushed and her heartbeat quickened. What shocked her most was the urge she instantly had to grind herself backwards and get a better feel for his size. Without moving she could tell he was well endowed, and she only wished she could sneak a peak at him without him waking up and catching her. There was no way possible, though. She was afraid she would wake him just with her heavy breathing, let alone her turning over to ogle him. Then they’d really have an awkward moment. What she needed was to slip out of his bed and pretend like none of this happened at all.

Biting her bottom lip she slowly and carefully pulled the blanket off of herself and slipped her legs over the edge of the bed. His arm around her midsection tightened and for a brief moment Buffy thought she might not get out of this one. The shift in the bed she had caused had stirred him, though; just long enough that he let go of her and absent mindedly scratched his chest.

Like a bat out of hell Buffy jumped up and held a hand to her chest to steady herself. She kept her back to him and squeezed her eyes shut, willing this terrifying moment to go away. She waited to hear him say something or make any noise at all to indicate he was awake, but she heard nothing. Cautiously she looked over her shoulder at the bottle blonde laying in his bed, and immediately let out a sigh of relief when she saw he was still fast asleep.

Relieved that she’d gotten away with that one, she now grew curious again and she moved to sneak a peak at his lengthy lower region. But, as the saying goes, curiosity killed the cat. Just as she could start to see under the partially tented comforter he rolled away from her, hiding what her eyes had so desperately wanted to see.

Buffy huffed and smirked to herself. She supposed that’s what she deserved for trying to have her cake and eat it too. She couldn’t tell herself not to go there and then still catch a glimpse of his goodies. That just simply was no fair, and the powers that be seemed to agree.

Running a hand through her hair she let out a big breath and turned away, deciding it was best she leave the room and get her mind on something else. Instead she shook off that first-thing-in-the-morning scare and got ready to head downstairs to take a look at the living room and see if she could distract herself by toying with the furniture set up.

Moving through the hall and down the steps Buffy decided a hot cup of coffee sounded wonderful, and she quickly headed into the kitchen to see what she could find before starting her project.




x X x X x X x X x X x




When Spike woke up in his own bed he felt wonderful. He was comfortable, sated, and the sun was shining into his bedroom which always put him in a good mood. He’d hardly had time to open his eyes and look around before the smell of fresh brewed coffee hit his senses. He smiled to himself thinking about his father being downstairs cooking a big breakfast for him. Then reality rushed back and splashed him in the face like a cold bucket of water.

His heart dropped to his gut and a cold sweat broke out over his face and chest. His father was not downstairs, and he was not making him a big breakfast. He was dead. Buried and gone into the ground never to be seen again.

Tears formed quickly in his eyes, so quickly he couldn’t swallow them down. They swelled up and trickled down the sides of his face before he could even lift his hand to try and wipe them away. It had been over a week since his passing and yet this was the first time he’d actually woken up and forgotten what had happened. He forgot what his father did to himself, and he’d felt for a split second that everything was okay.

Spike whimpered to himself and wiped angrily at the water marks on his face. He’d already gone through this part of the grieving process. He didn’t want to do it again. It was too hard. Instead he moved his thoughts to the real reason his home smelled like coffee.

Buffy. He’d nearly forgotten that he’d fallen asleep with her in his arms. And what she’d said before he’d fallen asleep…

How did I fall in love with you?

Buffy was the one to leave him in the dust years ago, and to forget to be his best friend for five years. Now she comes back and he’s telling himself not to get attached to her, and not to act on his true feelings for her, and here she is confessing in the middle of the night that she’s in love with him. Like hell he would let that one go. He just needed to find a good time to confront her about it, and to stop her from running… because there was no doubt in his mind she would try.

Spike took a deep breath to steady himself and wipe away the excess moisture from his eyes, sitting up and shaking off the stunning reaction he’d had to the aroma filling his house. He would have to take a moment to regain his composure before going downstairs to find the woman of his thoughts. He really wanted to confront her outright about what she’d said, but he knew he’d have to ease into it or he’d scare her off. She always was skittish. He only hoped he’d build enough courage and endurance to do so, and that he wouldn’t screw and let her get away.




x X x X x X x X x X x




Buffy set down her cup of coffee and stepped up on the tiny step ladder, lifting the curtain rod up out of its socket and taking it down completely. She smiled to herself as she added it to the pile of items that had all been moved to the center of the room. Furniture, lamps, pictures… everything in the entire room had been moved into the center and covered with a large white drop cloth.

She stepped back and looked at the progress she’d made already this morning. Smiling to herself she picked up her coffee mug and took another sip. All she needed now was a couple gallons of paint and she’d have this room looking like it belonged in a whole new house. Spike had given her complete freedom to do what she wanted, but she still wanted his input on some things, like… the paint color. This was, after all, his home now. She needed him to be able to live in it.

Buffy leaned in to take another sip when a hand on her shoulder startled her and caused her to jump, spilling her hot coffee over the top of the mug and burning her finger.

“Oh!” she exclaimed as she held the mug away from her body with one hand while she shook the hot liquid off the other.

Spike pulled his hand back and put them both up in defense as he grimaced at what he’d caused. “Sorry.”

“Spike…”

“Didn’t mean to startle you…”

Buffy sucked the remaining moisture off of her thumb and shook her head. “You didn’t.”

Spike quirked a brow. Buffy wavered.

“I mean you did, but… I’m just jittery. This is my second cup. I don’t usually drink coffee…”

Spike looked past her into the parlor. “Been up long?” he asked gesturing toward the room.

“Oh, uh… yeah. First I though we’d do your bedroom but then you were sleeping and I was awake and motivated and you had said you wanted to change the room and now I’m babbling…” Buffy blushed.

Spike smirked at how adorable she was. “I like when you babble.”

Buffy’s blush darkened and she shifted her weight as she looked down at her mug.

Spike couldn’t help but notice how beautiful she looked. Her hair was pulled up in a cute pony tail, her white tank top and blue jean combination was so completely homely. She didn’t have a spec of makeup on. She looked more like her old self.

“I hope you’re not upset with me. If you’ve changed your mind I’ll put it all back.”

Spike sucked in his bottom lip and shook his head, taking a deep breath. “No. Do your thing. It needs to be done.”

Buffy relaxed. “Okay. I do want your opinion, though. It is your house after all.”

Spike crossed his arms and leaned back against the bare wall. “Like what?”

Buffy set down her mug on the fireplace mantle and walked over to the front wall, stopping in front of the large picture window. “Do you have a color preference?”

Spike looked around and noticed how much brighter it was without the dark draperies clouding the windows. It reminded him of his mom. He shrugged. “Something bright. I’m tired of the dark in this room.”

Buffy nodded and looked around. The room’s walls had wood paneling on the lower half, and dark green paint on the solid walls above. Before Mrs. Giles had passed away the walls were a light canary yellow, and the men had changed it a year or so after she was gone. Their changes had made the room much darker, and although it was still comfortable, it was a bit much.

She looked at the paneling and an idea popped in her head. “How would you feel if we painted the wood in this room white?”

Spike shrugged again. “Do whatever your pretty little head desires. I trust you to make it look good.”

Buffy swooned a little when he said pretty little head. His complete sexy-ness and cute-ness combination was making it hard for her to stay focused and resilient. “Alright then. I’m gonna go change real quick and head to the hardware store for paint.”

Spike pushed off the wall and began to look around for his wallet. “Let me find you some money…”

Buffy reached out and stopped him. “I’ll buy the paint. Just take me out for a drink or something later and we’ll call it even, alright?”

Spike was a little surprised. Go out for a drink? Wasn’t she actively trying to get him to stop drinking? Was there a catch to this? Was this a test? He wasn’t sure what to think. All he knew was that he very much liked the way she was looking at him when she said that… and so he’d agree.

Buffy watched as he smirked and leaned into her slightly. “Deal.”




x X x X x X x X x X x




Buffy rolled on the last bit of red paint to finish off the first coat and collapsed onto the tarp covered floor with a huff. “Ugh! I’m pooped already and it was only one coat.”

Spike shuffled across the floor to where she was laying and dropped his white paint covered brush into the tray. He smirked at her form and brushed his hands across his now paint-dribbled jeans. “One coat of each and you’re ready to throw in the towel? And this is what you want to do for the rest of your life?”

Buffy mock scowled at him but couldn’t hide that first-crush smile from her face. “Excuse me; I won’t have to do all the work myself. I’ll have sexy muscular guys like you doing all the hard work. I’ll be playing boss.”

Spike was cat-like as he crawled toward her. Buffy found all the moisture in her body traveling to one specific place as she watched him come hover over her. She clenched her thighs together as he squinted down at her.

“Know many sexy muscular contractors in L.A. do you?”

Buffy tried and failed to tear her eyes off of his naked and slightly sweaty chest. “One or two…” she replied breathlessly.

Spike smirked at her obvious appraisal of his body. He rather liked how she looked at him now… like someone she wanted to sink her teeth into rather than just catch a movie with. He craved her kiss.

Buffy’s pulse increased as she looked up at him hovering over her. She knew it was wrong, and potentially dangerous to the relationship they already had, but she craved to feel his body pressed on top of her own. She wanted him so badly.

Spike rolled his tongue behind his teeth as he looked her slack body up and down. “And you think they’re muscular and sexy… like me?”

Buffy bit her lip and rolled her eyes. He was reaching. “No,” she smiled, not looking in his eyes. “Not like you…”

Spike was as hard as he’d ever been, and he desperately wanted her to touch him. She was incredibly sexy laying there the way she was. Flustered and covered in small paint smudges, smiling shyly and averting his gaze.

He held his weight on one arm and took a gentle hold of her chin, drawing her emerald eyes to his sapphire ones.

Buffy swallowed hard and let out a tiny gasp when he began to lean forward. She trembled and closed her eyes when she could feel his breath on her face. She quivered in anticipation for their kiss.

“Ahem…”

Buffy’s eyes shot open and she pushed herself up on her elbows just as Spike kneeled up straight and looked over his shoulder at the front door.

Dawn smirked and she stepped up into the house and made her way over to where they now sat, awkwardly posed. “Sorry to interrupt the sex-capades…” she said coming to a stop in front of them. She held out a couple cartons of Chinese food. “But mom sent me over. She says if you guys are gonna be working on the house all day then you need your carbs and energy.”

Spike smirked at his surrogate little sister and took a carton and chop sticks from her hands. She looked at him knowingly and arched a brow, and he had to suppress another signature tongue curling at her obvious amusement and approval.

Buffy, on the other hand wasn’t so amused. She had a look on her face that told she wanted to hug Dawn for the interruption yet kill her for it. She clearly hadn’t decided which one yet. “Dawnie, honey, ever hear of knocking?” she asked as she stood up completely and brushed herself off.

Dawn raised an eyebrow and her older sister and suppressed a laugh. She was cute when she was embarrassed. “The front door was wide open, Buffy. I’d wager five more minutes and you would have given the mail man an eyeful.”

Buffy turned lobster red and snatched the other carton from the girl’s hand. “Either shut your mouth and go home or pick up a roller and help with the second coat.”

Dawn rolled her eyes and crossed her arms. “And do all the dirty work for you? I don’t think so.”

Spike sat on a tarp covered arm rest and opened up his carton of food, both amused at how flushed Buffy was and annoyed that they were interrupted. With the way she’d been looking at him all morning he was sure that with a couple more well-timed kisses he could break down her walls and get her to stop running and making excuses. Sure there was some validity when it came to her leaving for L.A. again, but they would cross that bridge when they came to it. For now he could no longer hide his feelings for her, and he would not let her deny herself feelings for him. He needed her too much.

Dawn turned on her heels and headed for the door. “I’ll just go back to begging mom for a pool. Oh and don’t worry, I’ll close the door behind me so you two can get back to… work.”

“Dawn!”

“Love you!”

Slam.

Buffy shifted her eyes back to Spike and smiled shyly when she caught him looking back at her. He picked through his pepper steak and tried not to look too smug. Buffy liked seeing this side of him. It was comforting, and refreshing to see him the way he used to be back in their high school days. And she was also suddenly very jealous of all those girls he’d gone out on dates with before he settled down with Dru. She remembered very vividly seeing him give girls that look on more than once occasion. She wanted that look to be only for her.

Buffy boldly moved to sit down next to him on the very small arm rest, digging through her lo mein and purposefully bumping her upper arm into his has he smiled downwards. “So…” she started, somewhat awkwardly. “About that drink you owe me…”

Spike finished chewing a piece of food and swallowed, calming his nerves and trying not to smile too much. “What about it?”

“How’s tonight sound?” she asked, not taking her eyes off her food. She was trying hard not to tremble. “Just you and me, no one else…”

Spike stopped poking around and looked at her. She refused to meet his smoky eyes but her blush was telling enough. A surge of manly pride washed through him. He cocked a brow. “Ten sound good to you?”

Buffy swallowed and raised her head. Ten o’clock. So this would be a semi-late rendezvous. That’s hot.

Her heart pounded in her chest as she looked over at his waiting eyes. What she saw in them made her heart race ad her thighs clench. They were dark, sparking, and full of lust. She found she very much loved his eyes.

Her answer was clear. In no way would she be letting his man go out tonight without her on his arm. She looked forward to acting smug toward every girl that looked him over later.

Buffy pressed her chin to his shoulder and smiled coyly at him. “What do I wear?”




TBC


Chapter End Notes:
Chapter 9 is finished and will be posted this time next week, Enjoy!