Chapter 10

Buffy stepped out of ‘Globe Travel’ with a nice little haul of brochures. Deciding she needed caffeine, she headed towards the Mall.

After ordering herself a tall mocha latte, extra froth with hazelnut syrup and chocolate sprinkles, she sat in the corner and took out one of the holiday brochures ‘LONDON, it announced, one of the busiest capital cities in Europe, a place steeped full of history, culture, theatre and Royalty.’

Buffy thought. She originally was going to go there for her 21st birthday, but her father reneged on the money, announcing that he and his girlfriend were pregnant and couldn’t afford it. The following year the basement sprung a leak, several in fact and the whole house had to be re-plumbed, so of course travel and holidays were out of the question. And the year after that? – Well her mother was having the headaches by then, and two months later she died. Medical expenses had eaten up every last penny piece they’d had – It was touch and go whether Buffy had to sell the house. If it hadn’t been for a nice intern at the hospital helping her get medical negligence compensation she’d have been sunk. It hadn’t been a huge amount, but it was a ‘cushion’ for her until she could get back on her feet.

ooOOoo

It was a beautiful morning as William walked down the hill to the farm to get a few essentials…………

“A pint of milk, half a pound of butter and half a dozen eggs please, Mrs Appleton”

“Very well my dear, and how are you finding it at the cottage?”

She turned to the fridge to get what William wanted;

“Wonderful, I’m sleeping like a log, that bed is SO comfy!” William said with a grin

Smiling at him Mrs Appleton put his purchases into a bag, asking,

“Anything else I can get you?”

“Um…those scones over there…” William said, noticing a batch of freshly baked scones on baking sheet on top of the oven, and Mrs Appleton smiled

“Ah, my latest batch, I don’t usually sell them, but, hold on”

She put two of the large fruited scones into a bag, and added a small pot of clotted cream and two tiny pots of strawberry jam

“There you go my dear, have a Devonshire cream tea on me”

“Oh but I couldn’t, let me – “

“Don’t be silly, now let me see, 1 pint milk, 6 eggs…half of butter, that’s £2.80 please Mr Giles”

William handed over the money and said,

“Oh call me William, please, and thank you for the cream tea, I’ll look forward to it” he gave her a big smile and left.

Mrs Appleton smiled, sweet William eh – he’d make somebody a lovely husband! She thought and turned to put the scones into the family cake tin.


ooOOoo


< Appleford? – Appleway………Appleby?..............Apple, Apple, oh what was the name of the place Xander said William was staying…Appleway – no, done that………Appleson………nope, not Appleson………try Appleton…”EUREKA!” Buffy shouted at the computer screen, as exactly what she was looking for popped up:

‘Appleton Cottages, come and stay on a real working farm, set deep in the Devonshire countryside, or if you prefer, we have flatlets in our converted barn, or cottages to rent overlooking the sea, call for tariff and available dates’ Buffy sat back in her chair, wondering whether or not she had the guts to do it – could she actually go to the same place as William was staying? It certainly looked lovely enough, all typically ‘English’ she thought, country lanes, little thatched cottages with roses around the door, it looked so quaint!

There were also some lovely looking hotels in the resort too, and she decided she couldn’t be so bold as to stay at Appleton Cottages, lovely as it looked, BUT she could at least stay in the same vicinity…

Half an hour later, Buffy had booked herself a flight to London Heathrow, a four day stay at the Grosvenor Hotel, Park Lane London for shopping, to look around the galleries and take in a show or two, and then a transfer by coach down to South Devon and a two night, with the possibility of staying at least another two nights at the Seaview Hotel in Cheriton South Devon. That still left her with a two week stay somewhere, although where she didn’t know yet, if it was a no-good deal with William, she would go back to London, possibly taking in Stratford and Oxford, places she’d always wanted to visit. Pleased with herself she slipped her credit card back into her purse and decided that the next thing that needed sorting was her wardrobe, what to take for an English holiday………


ooOOoo
Angel wasn’t a happy bunny. That was to say the least. His latest exhibition was going down like a lead balloon, and he’d received a letter from the lawyer of this guy who was suing him surrender the piece of artwork called ‘Wasted’ from the Urban Decay exhibition. The piece had originally been sold to Prince Arreeza no less, but he’d been ordered to surrender it for forensic testing, to see if it was the bite of Parker Abrams’ on the burger and bun. This had been done, and tests proved that what Abrams’ said was right, in fact it WAS his bite mark, tests needed to prove at least 50% - and they matched 90% leaving little doubt. So now it was his intention to sue Stebson for at least 50% of money he’s got for the so-called piece of ‘art’ as he reckoned that it was him that had done the work, not the artist. The court date was set for New York, on the 18th………

ooOOoo

“Please Cordelia!”

“No!” Cordelia didn’t even look up from her monitor.

“But I NEED you, there, with me, PLEASE!” Angel whined

“Why don’t you take Buffy?” Cordelia said tartly.

, Angel thought.

“Buffy and I…well, oh um…(Angel felt in his inside coat pocket, then patted the outer pockets and said) other jacket, er look, Cordy, I’ll make it worth your while – you can have that spa pass if you like”

“What spa pass?”

“The one Buffy didn’t have”

“And you think I want her casts-off because?” Cordelia asked, even though she’s snatch his hand off for it really.

“Well all right then, what do you want, hmm? Tell me”

Cordelia thought quickly and pulled up a web-site. She pointed to the monitor at a pair of very high black patent shoes, cut out sides and toe, with a bow on the front.

“Those. That’s what I want. Christian Louboutin shoes, they’re called Footcandy , and they’re $895”

“HOW MUCH!” Angel was shocked

“$895, it’s that or nothing, take it or leave it” She was determined to stick to her resolve.

Angel squinted at the monitor and frowned

“All that money for those? – Hell I’m in the wrong business…are you sure that there isn’t something else that-“

Cordelia tapped the monitor with her perfectly manicured nail and said,

“It’s those, or there was another pair, but they’re over a thousand dollars and- “ she went to type, but Angel stayed her hand

“Okay, okay, if that’s what it takes…order them”

“No need, they’ve got them at Macy’s, I can get them there while we're in New York”

“I want you in that court room with me, I’m not paying out $900 for you to be with me and instead you’re off shopping. My god, you should be doing this as part of your job anyway! Whatever happened to loyalty hmm?!”

“Quite. Don’t worry, I’ll be there for you!” Cordelia reached up and pinched his cheek, leaving Angel wondering whatever happened to friendship, and then he remembered, he’s cheated on this girl when they were a couple…