Author's Chapter Notes:
Chapter 9: Have You Ever Seen the Rain?

Awe- a mixed emotion of reverence, respect, dread, and wonder inspired by authority, genius, great beauty, sublimity, or might.




Spike hovered there, like a lost child on the first day at a new school, unsteady and unsure. He wiped his palms on his blue jeans for the sixteenth time, unable to make them cease their perspiring. He centred himself again and again after each dizzying spell of panic. “I don’t think asking her out is such a good idea Spike!” He said… “Oh pish-posh you poncy angel I know exactly what I’m bloody doing!” He played the argument over in his head, now somewhat doubtful of his abilities and method.

One more time Spike- His plan had been on auto-replay in his mind since he had come to a screeching halt in front of Buffy’s door some 20 minutes ago. First you knock. He made no attempt to move. Right. Then she comes to the door. He forced out an uneasy breath. She smiles. You say somethin’ dashin’ and clever, she swoons, naturally. You ask the girl out again, she heartily accepts. Music rises, curtain closes. The. Bloody. End. He dried his palms again. Right. One more time-

“Spike?” The questioning voice tore through the noisy static in his brain.

“Huh?” Flipping around his eyes darted over to the assailant. “Buffy?” His expression instantly ticked to one of sheer horror. “What are you doing here?”

Both hands came to rest on her hips. “You’re asking me that question? See I live here Spike,” she answered pointing at the entrance he was blocking. “Now you on the other hand, could offer an explanation as to why you’re standing in the middle of a hallway, staring at my door in the middle of the day.”

“I got my phone hooked up!” he squeaked nervously, remembering the ingenious plot he had uncovered had he needed a reason for showing up.

“Good for you?” She wasn’t following him around the bend.

“M-my number,” he started, stuttering, “said I’d get it too you soon as I got it taken care of.”

Buffy’s head tilted to the side. Boy is he ever cute when he’s nervous. She wetted her lips, watching as he began to fidget uncomfortably before her. Nervous may be a bit of an understatement. No wonder it took him almost three days to come by.

She decided to end his misery. “Thanks,” she accepted. “It’s probably a good, that way I don’t have to show up unannounced, catching you off-guard.” She smirked, “not that seeing you in your boxers and catching you in the arms of a man weren’t riveting experiences. They were, ranked very high on the gossip scale. In fact I’m sending out a building news letter just to share-”

“Oi!”

Apparently she hadn’t decided to end his misery so much as add to it. Serves him right for taking three days.

“You’re really set on handin’ ‘em to a bloke aren’t you!” Spike scolded her. “And to think, I went out o’ m’ way as a courtesy to you!”

“Hey now, no need to get all cranky. I was only kidding. You are familiar with that right? It’s where one person gives the other person a hard time when in reality they don’t actually mean what they say.” Buffy locked her arms together across her upper abdomen.

The quick thrust of her cleavage caught him off guard more than her words. “U-uh, course, sorry luv.” Mmm nummy treat.

His voracious stare unsettled her, shattering her facade. “I-it’s ok,” she couldn’t look at him any longer, “and thanks, really.”

“For what pet?” Spike kept his eyes shamelessly glued to her bosom.

“Um, you were going to give me your number right?”

Her words sunk in. “Oh. OH. Right.” He reached deep into his front pock, hand sliding down beside his bulge.

It was her turn to ogle. Hello there.

“It’s all yours.”

I wish. Wait? “Huh?” her gaze snapped back up to meet his.

He smirked wildly, his confidence crashing back upon him. “You heard me kitten.” He wagged the piece of paper in front of her face. “It’s. All. Yours.” He winked.

Like a kid, hand caught in the cookie jar, she paled, only to turn a rich scarlet the next moment. “Thanks.” She peeped, snatching the scrap from him.

What a naughty kitty. “Anytime Goldilocks,” he sucked his bottom lip into his mouth, tasting, “really, what’s mine is yours.”

“Uh-,” it turned into a nervous giggle. She broke his stare again, incapable of simple speech.

Spike had her exactly where he wanted her, more than pleased, he went in for the kill. “Was thinkin’ pet,” he slipped one lone finger softly beneath her chin, lifting it up until her eyes had no choice but to settle upon him once more, “had such a bloody brilliant time with you before… thought we’d do it again, “ he purred, “if you’d like that is?”

“Like? Mmm hmm.” It was the best she had. Buffy like.

Halleluiah. He pushed his lips out approvingly, hiding his relief. “So… have any thin’ in mind you’ve jus’ been dyin’ to do luv?” he smirked, “ladies choice.”

“U-um,” Buffy scrunched her eyes closed, trying desperately to fend off his seduction, “actually,” she countered, mind soaring as she regained control, “there is this one place that I have been trying to get to for weeks.”

“Really? And where would that be exactly?” The sudden far off look in her eyes unnerved him. Careful mate you’re losin’ the upper hand here.

She rocked innocently, a sweet smile playing. “You’ll see.” And Buffy comes back strong. She let a tiny giggle escape.

Ladies choice? Well played you soddin’ prat! “Don’ much care for surprises princess,” he admitted worriedly, “last time I was… um,” he cleared his throat, “surprised I kinda took a fall you might say,” he snorted. Innit that the understatement o’ the bloody year.

Buffy grinned cutely. “Awww did Spikey get a boo-boo?” she teased. “Well it’s not the jump out and startle you kinda surprise, so you don’t have to worry. Plus,” she continued, voice taking on a lower, huskier tone, “I won’t let you go, then there won’t even be the tiniest possibility of falling. Deal?”

Oh I don’t know ‘bout that sweets. “D-deal.”

“Great! I’ll just change into more sensible shoes and we-”

“We’re goin’ now?” he questioned, fear welling up. Definitely lost the upper hand you git, girls a vixen.


“That’s ok isn’t it?” she asked, insecurity creeping into her voice.

No it’s not OK! Took me three soddin’ days to figure out how to walk down here and ask you out! Need at least a bloody month to be ready for whatever secret rendezvous you got in store! “Course luv.” Well played.

Buffy reached out, sighing in relief she scooped up his hand and squeezed. “You won’t regret it. Promise.”

Spike’s mouth twisted into a crooked smile. “I’m sure I won’t.”

“Ok then,” she said forcing past him to enter her apartment, “I’ll only be a second, just have to change my shoes and grab my car keys.”

“Car keys?” he processed out loud.

“Yeah. I’ll drive!”

Right. Drive. This should be fun.

~~

“Spike! SPIKE!” Buffy shoved him hard on the shoulder. “You can open your eyes now geez!” she scoffed. Big baby!

The quivering Brit parted one terrified lid, peeking out to ascertain whether or not the coast was clear. Seeing nothing but stillness through the car windows her relaxed, easing out of his hunched position. “Right.” He panted.

“My god you’d think you’d never driven in a car before! Seriously, I know the roads out here are a bit narrow and kinda windy but it’s not that bad!”

He paled, her using the words ‘god’ and ‘never before’ in the same sentence had him reeling for an excuse. “I- uh- I,” he stammered, “got a bit o’ motion sickness is all.”

She glared. “And see, if you had looked sick, I’d believe you. But since clawing at the door handle and screaming ‘Jesus Christ devil woman slow down’ aren’t signs of nausea, I don’t.” She folded her arms.

Fuck. “I said that?”

She just nodded her head.

Only one way out o’ this. You can pick up the pieces later mate. “Well,” he started, “sorry to break it to you kitten but you're a bloody awful driver.”

Buffy gasped. “Hey! I am not! I mean sure I’ve been known to get a few speeding tickets now and then, and yeah there were those two wrecks in ’07, but there were major extenuating circumstances. And you know what, it takes a lot of people nine times to pass that test!”

Spike blinked once. In shock partly from the fact that his plan had worked, attention affectively deflected from his ridiculous reaction, and partly from the realisation that he had not been ridiculous at all. Bint nearly killed me! “Right pet, sounds like you’ll be gettin’ that safe driver discount on your insurance any day now.” She scowled at him. “Hey, now no need to make faces, let’s just make a deal. You keep her under 90 and inside the pretty painted lines on the way back… and I’ll ease up on the screamin’ like a lil’ girl. ‘Right?”

She blushed slightly. “Yeah, ok, deal.” Fabulous start to the evening Buffy, nearly kill your date, rendering him completely terrified- check. I told Willow dating would only lead to death and dismemberment!

“Ohhh.” The breathy acclimation stilled Buffy’s thoughts.

She glanced over towards Spike, mouth twisting into a perfect grin upon seeing him rendered speechless at the scene before them. “Pretty great huh?”

He nodded in agreement, but barely. Frozen in place he tried to absorb every bit of the sight. The sun, just beginning it’s decent, was turning the sky into a swirling amalgamation of pinks and oranges. The rolling and crashing of the ocean waves brought the sea to life as it reflected light, sparkling. The powdery sand, bridging the gap between them and the waters edge, rose and fell in little hills and ripples, like a rumpled satin sheet.

“Come on,” she snapped him out of his trance, placing a hand on his shoulder, “it gets better.”

Spike followed her as she swiftly exited the car, coming around meeting her in front. He watched with fascination as she began removing the sandals she had put on for their trip.

Noticing his perplexed expression she spoke, “its way better barefoot, come on, you’ll see.” She urged him to do the same.

He eagerly obeyed, hungry for anything more she offered or promised. Fumbling with the black boots he wore he tripped, falling into the sand with an strained, “Umph.”

Buffy giggled, “Here, let me help, you big oaf!” She knelt down, wasting no time, she went straight to work untying and yanking his feet free from their leather prison. “Should have had you change your shoes too.” She added with one last grunt of effort.

“Sorry luv.” He apologized.

“Don’t be, I was the one who wouldn’t tell you where we were going.” She stood extending a hand out to help him up. “Hope you’re not disappointed.”

Accepting the gesture he righted himself quickly. “Definitely not pet.”

She beamed. “Well then, lets go.” She snatched up his closest hand and started off for the water, tugging him along.

~~

“So what is it that you do?” Buffy broke the long span of silence they had been enjoying, now desperate to know about the man beside her. They had sat down near the tides highest breaking point, and had been taking in their surroundings. The way the water lapped at the coastline, never quite making it all the way too them, but trying. The way the sunset danced off the liquid like diamonds. He had never taken his eyes from it, and she had never taken her eyes from him.

“Huh? Who me?” Spike reluctantly tore his eyes from the landscape.

“Yes you silly.” She nudged him with her shoulder. “I don’t know almost anything about you, I’m curious.” Curious to know what government facility you came from Mr. Perfect. Cause if you’re asking me, I’m betting genetically engineered at this point.

“Curious eh?” He hid his rising nerves under a cool exterior. “Well kitten, I’m fairly certain it was curiosity that killed the cat.” He teased, winking.

Buffy scrunched up her face. “I’m serious!” she swatted him.

“Ok, ‘right. I’ll play nice!” he thought for a moment, calling forth his fake memories, “I’m a writer if you must know.” Jus’ one that’s never actually written a bloody thing, no worries though I’m sure I’m a natural.

Her eyes gleamed. “Oh! What do you write?”

“A bit o’ everythin’ really. Wrote for a few papers in London ‘fore I left. But have always focused more on poetry and children’s books.” His face flushed. You have got to be kiddin’ me right now. Poetry? Kiddie books? Why not hang a sign ‘round m’ neck that says ‘I’m a Nancy boy ask me how’? Couldn’t have made me a bass player or somethin’?

“You write poetry?” she said sceptically, waiting for him to shake his head in confirmation, “and children’s books?” she continued. “The one’s for children, small people, about yay big.”

“Oi! Quit takin’ the piss!” he warned. “I’ll have you know princess that I bloody well adore the lil’ nibblets!” And he did, they had always been his favourite souls to be near.

She just smiled dreamily, despite his temper. “You really are perfect.” She said, her mouth missing its filter, exactly what she was thinking spilling out.

He had been about to add something to his tirade, but paused at her words. “What was that luv?”

Buffy’s cheeks burned red, horror striking her features. “I- uh- said you are perfect… for writing, yeah.” She tried. “Your witty, very well spoken and you know… pale,” she was grasping for anything, “suits you.” She hid her face as she finished, completely devastated.

He snorted. “Is that so? So we’re a witty, well spoken… pale bunch now are we?”

“Yes?” she answered, unsure. Please drop it, please drop it.

“‘Right.” He smiled knowingly.

Thank God he let that go! “So,” she blew out a long breath, “you came out here all alone then? Did you leave a lot of family back in London?”

Spike looked away, suddenly panicked and a bit nauseated. Just as his head began to reel, implanted confessions of relatives long since passed whirling around, making him dizzy, a miracle occurred.

The rain hit in a flash, crashing down in a fury.

“EEP!” Buffy shrieked, springing up in an instant, immediately sprinting for the safety and shelter of the car.

She ran, hands pulling her jacket up over her head, little high-pitched sounds of disapproval echoing into the torrent. She glanced back, expecting to see Spike hot on her tail. Seeing nothing she froze. Spinning around she searched for him. Her eyes quickly landed on the man in question. There he sat, never having moved, head tossed back in ecstasy, hands out catching the rain as it soaked his shivering form. For a moment she starred in awe. There, in the rain, letting it wash over him like a child, he was truly beautiful.

A chill ran up her spine, breaking her revelry. “SPIKE!” she screamed for him.

He spun around in his place, straining to look at her, seemingly surprised she was so far away.

“Come ON!” she called.

She watched him rise then, picking up a steady jog he was at her side in a moment.

“Sorry luv,” now thoroughly soaked he licked the water off his lips with each words, batting the droplets off his lashes. “Didn’t mean for you to get all wet.”

She blushed. “It’s fine, let’s just get to the car quick ok.”

“Ok.” He smiled that wicked smile then, but before she could protest he bent down, leaning in low she was thrown over his shoulder in a flash.

“Hey! Stop! What are you doing Spike?” she whined, but couldn’t help her smile.

“I’m faster pet.” And with that he took off, full sprint towards their waiting vehicle.

~




*A/N: Hope everyone liked! The amazing fic banner was made by the wonderful and fabulous Midnite_Holic! Please, please please tell me what you think! Reviews are LOVE! *hugs**