Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to x3tinkerbell07 who betaed this chapter!

Chapter 26: Magical Power



“That’s the thing about magic. You’ve got to know it’s still there, all around us, or it just stays invisible for you.”
~ Charles de Lint

Buffy sat down on Spike’s lap since the other three chairs were taken already. Giles raised his eyebrow at Buffy, “This isn’t the time but we do need to talk Buffy.”

Buffy looked at Giles and demanded, “Now is a fine time. Want to talk about my relationship with Spike? Let’s have it out. I’m ready.”

Spike put his hand on Buffy’s shoulder and Buffy pushed it off then stood with her hands on her hips glaring at Giles. Giles didn’t say anything so Buffy decided to let him have it, “My friends pulled me out of Heaven or at least some kind of holding place. I was living in Hell pretty much and the only one who cared to listen was Spike. I had to hide my relationship with him from everyone because I had to be ‘normal’ and pretend to be okay. All that time the only one who knew I wasn’t okay was Spike. Then something happened between him and I. Yeah it was almost rape but we both handled it. I stopped him and since I’m the one who started it, it made sense I had to stop him. He was in shock so much and so filled with guilt that he went out and got a soul for me, enduring horrible trials that could have killed him and months of torture for me! Not for himself but for me. He cared for Dawn when I was dead. Did he get anything from that? No he didn’t. Just kept a promise to me. What did Willow, Xander, Anya and Tara do for me after I died? Nothing. Tara was the most supportive of the bunch and Xander did try.”

She paused looking at Xander and nodded and then continued, “But you didn’t even stick around. I was dying inside and you left me alone to fend for myself. So of course who picked up the pieces in my life like he had done to Dawn’s life? Spike did. He always stayed. So before you go all high and mighty on me, remember that he stayed when you didn’t. He protected me when you went off to live your own life. The way I see it, Spike and I were made for each other. So if you want to ruin the best thing in my life, then go ahead, tell me I’m trash. Tell me that I’m better than the best thing in my life. But if you do that, you help me find our baby and then walk away and never look back.

“I can’t take it anymore. I can’t take the judging and the righteous act. I’m a grown up and I’m doing the best I can in this world. I’m going to marry Spike and we are going to have this little baby girl and we are going to live in a house and live a normal life by day and be demon ass-kickers by night and we are going to be happy.”

Giles just sat looking at Buffy in shock cleaning his glasses, then glanced down at her finger where her diamond ring sat sparkling making it obvious that she was already engaged. He finally spoke, “I was going to ask you if you were happy and tell you that while I didn’t agree with it, it was obvious that Spike loves you and that if you love him I would deal with it.” He paused then said, “But what you said was better.”

Buffy turned and sat on Spike’s lap and burst into tears. Spike hugged her tight and whispered quietly in her ear, “Do you want to go back upstairs, pet? We can handle the research.”

Buffy wiped her eyes and shook her head, “No I want to help.”

Spike nodded and kissed away her tears and took the book that was in English that was in Oz’s hand, “Here pet, look at this one then.”

She nodded and settled back on Spike’s lap and opened the book to read while Spike picked her up and moved her to angle her so that she was still comfortable and he had a spot to rest his book that he had opened to read. Thus the research continued.


@}-'--, --'--, --'--, -{@



Buffy was getting bored with her book when suddenly the room filled with flashes of light. Buffy blinked and stood up off Spike’s lap to see what was going on and to prepare to fight if she had to. She was feeling better and stronger and ready to kick some ass.

Anya rushed over giving Xander a big kiss and sat down on his lap for the few minutes. She missed Xander but was willing to spend some time away from him until Buffy’s baby was brought back. Anya just kept thinking that it could have been her and Xander instead of Buffy and Spike. That thought alone was enough to motivate Anya to do the right thing and help willingly without complaining.

Willow jumped up and down excitedly, “Buffy we have news!”

Buffy casted a hopeful look towards Willow as Willow exclaimed, “Well we were able to find out that they were in a remote corner of Brazil. It was just for a minute but enough to get a round about location. What we need from you and Spike is blood. We want to see if we can locate the baby now that we have a location.”

Buffy nodded and reached into Spike’s duster pulling out his pocketknife and without a second thought sliced her hand, “Where do you want this blood?”

An older lady stepped forward and held out a vial, which Buffy let the blood drip into. The lady spoke saying in a hollow voice, “Buffy, you should be careful what you do with your blood. It’s powerful and shouldn’t be given away freely.”

Buffy nodded and handed her hand to Spike who carefully licked it closed. Giles and Xander both made noises but restrained from saying anything. Oz just smiled having seen Spike do that before. Buffy handed Spike the knife that he carefully licked clean savoring the taste before asking, “Got a little vial for me?”

The lady nodded and held out a vial and Spike slit his hand and let the blood drip into the vial until it had enough and then he sealed his own wound with his hand.

Buffy smiled and Willow nodded satisfied that the deed was done appropriately, “Ok we will be back soon. Oh what we need from you is two things. Number one, see if you can’t find a transferring spell.”

Oz spoke up, “All set with that. Anything else?”

Willow nodded, “Also we need an ancient protection spell. Don’t take it from the dark magic books but instead the good magic books if you can. I want to find a way to protect Buffy with the baby once we do get her back inside her. We don’t want a repeat performance.”

The other members of the coven disappeared and Willow stayed a minute longer explaining, “Also you guys need to decide how you will handle Ethan and Wilda. Obviously jail doesn’t hold him and Wilda definitely won’t be held by anything less than magical.”

Willow did a little wave and gave Oz a gentle kiss then disappeared. Oz looked at the spot she had disappeared from grinning, “Damn, she’s hot.”

Everyone else at the table gave him a strange look but chose not to say a word.


@}-'--, --'--, --'--, -{@



Spike looked over at Giles, Oz and Xander who were working. Buffy was sleeping on his lap resting her head against his chest making gentle sleeping noises. Spike had one arm wrapped around her so he could balance the book he was reading while the other held the book on his lap. He was getting into some interesting stuff. He was learning the information about how the seer had prepared her body for the baby and Spike briefly wondered if they would have to do that for Buffy as well.

Xander put down his book looking at everyone who was exhausted, “Ok who wants donuts, refreshments, coffee? I need a break so badly I could scream.”

Spike looked down at his sleeping Buffy and agreed, “She needs food. Poor thing has only eaten that chicken soup today and that was it.”

Xander nodded in agreement, “Well what do you think she would want?”

Spike thought for a minute, “Spicy buffalo wings for me, she might pick off those, ham and cheese sandwich for her with a diet coke, an orange juice for vitamins and bring two coffees, make sure Buffy’s is decaf. I don’t want any caffeine in her system for when the baby is placed back in her. If it’s not too much trouble, can you grab some blood from somewhere? I haven’t had any since Willow gave me the two mugs. Don’t rightly care what kind it is.”

Oz stood up offering, “Perhaps I’d better go. I know where the blood haunts are.”

Xander shrugged and Oz suggested, “Well actually we have a lot to pick up. We can both go.”

Giles studied Spike and nodded, “Good thinking about the caffeine.”

He took off his glasses continuing to stare at Spike trying to figure him out. He seemed different somehow. He always loved Buffy and did what was best for her but he seemed different. Giles frowned not able to figure out why.

Perhaps he had always been like this but no one had taken the time to realize it. He remembered stories about how he had cared for Dawn when no one else did. He remembered hearing Willow go on and on about how Buffy was spending too much time with Spike all the time. That was going on for at least 5 years ago. Perhaps their connection had always been there and instead of helping her, they had been actively hurting her by telling her it was wrong.

Giles sighed and put back on his glasses before placing his order, “I’d like two cups of tea, a sandwich like Buffy’s and a jelly-filled donut.”

Xander chuckled and looked at Oz, “Ready?”

Oz nodded and offered, “My car is out front. We can take that.”

Xander said, “Excellent, my ride is busy with your gal.”

They went outside. Buffy snuggled in closer to Spike but didn’t wake up and Spike continued to read taking notes on how to prepare Buffy’s body for the baby if Willow agreed it was necessary.