Author's Chapter Notes:
x3tinkerbell07 beated this chapter for me!

Chapter 43: Instability



“Actual happiness always looks pretty squalid in comparison with the over-compensations for misery. And of course, stability isn’t nearly so spectacular as instability. And being contented has none of the glamour of a good fight against misfortune, none of the picturesqueness of a struggle with temptation or a fatal overthrow by passion or doubt. Happiness is never grand.”
~ Aldous Huxley


Thirty minutes later, Illyria, Connor and Dawn were still playing a video game while Spike, Buffy, Willow, Oz, Anya and Xander all sat around the table. Willow was giving an update to what the Coven had detected, “They were able to detect two fractions in time occurring within a day of each other. The first one detected was in L.A. but that was shortly after Angel’s fight. They figured it was something Wolfram and Hart did. It was a surge of energy, which we are now guessing, is how Illyria managed to get the power to travel between dimensions. There was a surge again three days after the fight, then a fraction in time shortly following that. Then a day later, a fraction occurred again but left shortly after. The next fraction occurred in New York but it only lasted a brief second. It appeared the portal opened and then closed within seconds so nothing was thought of it. Then three days later one occurred in Ohio but after hearing your story about Spike’s existence, they figured it was the way the wish was answered. It was closed fairly quickly and another followed after another day had passed. The next occurred here in Las Vegas, which lasted a little longer and again was followed. Another occurred in Brazil and then this morning. This morning’s has about 18 hours until a second one is due. With any luck we will know what we are dealing with before the fraction due occurs tomorrow.”

Xander continued to munch on his donut as he asked, “So a fraction means a portal?”

Willow nodded, “It means a point where time stands still and a portal is opened to allow world traveling. It’s how Dawn would work. She could open a portal but unlike Dawn’s time traveling, time would stop for whoever is doing it. Basically, it’s a really powerful person making the time traveling occur. Illyria explains one but the second isn’t explained.”

Spike frowned, “I don’t think I like something that is as bloody powerful as Illyria wandering around this world. Why would they be after her anyway? The world she is from was destroyed. She is alone. I’m not really liking this whole thing.”

Buffy didn’t like the sound of it either but instead of agreeing with Spike, she focused on the problem at hand, “So we have 18 hours to what? Figure out how to stop some time traveling God who is after Illyria? I’d like to know what the hell she’s doing on Earth anyway and more importantly what are we supposed to do with her once we fix her hunted issues?”

Spike shrugged, “She likes violence. She could be a great asset here since this bleeding place is crawling with demons and vampires. But first we need to solve her problem.”

Willow turned towards Buffy to address her concerns, “Um Buffy, if I can get the Coven to perform a protection spell on Dawn, can she and Illyria bring us to the last place she was out? I mean that’s probably where the hunters are. They seem to be tracking her. Perhaps if we do some research… like out in the place they are, we can figure out a way to stop it.”

Buffy frowned looking at Spike not liking putting Dawn in danger. She was supposed to protect Dawn not just use her abilities. She died to stop Dawn’s abilities once, she didn’t fancy doing that again. She sighed looking really upset by the idea and Spike sensed her fear, and worry and yelled, “Illyria!”

Illyria boomed, “How dare you yell my name like I’m some sort of person you can order around. Vampire, if you want me, come get me.”

Spike muttered standing up flinging the chair back and then shouted, “Bloody Hell woman, this is my damn house and if I yell you will answer.” But as he talked, he walked in her direction knowing she wouldn’t answer. When he reached her, he found her sitting and playing the Play Station still. He chuckled shaking his head at the sight before him, “You’re becoming more human everyday.”

Illyria looked mildly insulted but instead merely replied, “What do you want, vampire?”

Spike still chuckled even as he responded to Illyria, “Little Shiva, your presence is requested in the dining room. We want to know more about who is following you and we want to know where you last were.”

Illyria got up and looked one last time at the game and went into the dining room. She refused to sit and stood towering above everyone. Willow explained, “We need to know what was the last dimension you were in, Illyria.”

Illyria shrugged a little clearly annoyed by having to leave her game, “Skiila Dimension.”

Willow looked surprised as she wondered out loud “What’s there? Is it safe?”

Illyria replied with little to no feeling, “The dimension is boring. It is made up of mostly plant life. They don’t say anything interesting. I can’t stay in any dimension longer than 15 hours and my time here is coming to an end. If I stay too long, I am followed.”

Willow quietly spoke towards Illyria hoping to find a solution before her time was up and she had to leave, “Will it hurt humans where you were?”

Illyria ‘s voice again showed no emotion as she replied , “It would hurt you yes. The mystical girl in the other room, would be fine. Probably the half-breeds as well as this strange girl you call the slayer. The rest of you aren’t worthy.”

Spike frowned not liking the sound of this place, “What do we hope to do once we get in there?”

Willow frowned not wanting to be left behind, “If I accept a different form, will I survive in that dimension?”

Illyria turned way from Willow dismissing her but did answer her nonetheless, “That is beyond my knowledge.”

Willow explained her logic hoping to get another answer from Illyria. She knew Illyria could probably answer if she wanted to. She claimed to be a God and Gods should know that kind of information, “I wish to trap the thing following Illyria in that dimension but I have to be in the same dimension as the hunter. Illyria, do you know anything about the hunter?”

Illyria still kept her eyes away from Willow and her voice steady, “They are inferior to me but not human.”

Willow went to stand in front of Buffy when the Coven appeared in the dining room. Haven who helped with Buffy and Spike’s baby stood in front of Buffy, “Buffy you really need to let Willow do this. We have been watching the portals that appear and disappear. The second portal that has been reappearing following this God is not being closed properly. It’s creating an instable environment and will eventually make a large enough portal that can never be closed. Willow can open portals but they aren’t concrete. Dawn being the Key can open stable portals to any dimension she chooses. She can also close them properly. We need to get this hunter trapped so he doesn’t open another portal that will allow the dimensions to mesh. It could end the world.”

Spike roared, “Great an apocalypse. Haven’t we had enough already??”

The Coven looked at Spike as though to shut him up and Buffy moved next to him and he instantly put his arm around her, which calmed him down. Buffy took a deep breath knowing what she had to ask of her sister, “Connor, Dawn can you come in here?”