Author's Chapter Notes:
Plot thickens ... Buffy and Spike manage to keep their clothes on ... kind of ... and more trouble with Angel....

Thank you again for the wonderful reviews! I'm really overwhelmed by them!! :)
Chapter Five.

After dinner we each had a shower, I opted for the separate showers despite his puppy dog eyes and pout as I was utterly exhausted. He understood and yawned as he left saying that he too, was in need of sleep. It turned out that he had a bad case at work and was doing all sorts of crazy hours. As I closed the door my eyes settled on the MacManus case file and I rolled my eyes. My bed called to me and without giving another thought to work, I climbed in and soon fell asleep.

While I slept, unknown to me, a man entered the apartment. Silently he sat and watched as I lay in my bed. He helped himself to the leftovers from the Cantonese and a beer, leaving the bottle and plate in plain sight. Photographs of my family and some of me with friends were moved. Not much, just an angle here or there, but enough that I would notice. Now he sat, quietly watching me sleep again, while he drew.

I woke feeling refreshed, energized. All my aches had gone and I stretched to test out my muscles. As I reached my arms out to test their suppleness, I knocked something from the pillow and onto the floor. Frowning, I looked over the edge of the bed and picked up the envelope. I sat up and flipped the unglued flap open and pulled out the letter. At first I thought it had been from Spike, that maybe he had left it there for me, but quickly discounted that as I knew it hadn't been there the night before. Panicking now, I opened the piece of paper and stared at it. It was me, naked, the sheets slipped from my body as I lay on the bed asleep. I knew it was of me last night as I rarely slept nude. I looked up from the drawing and scanned the room.

Could he still be here in the room? In the apartment? I chastised myself as I still hadn't had a phone installed in my bedroom. Times like this a girl regrets not making time for mundane crap like installing an extra phone. My heart beat fast and my breathing was shallow, my body trembled.

I got off the bed slowly and watched the bedroom door as I pulled on my robe and tied the belt. If someone was still in the apartment then I didn't want to still be naked. Okay, I admit, a robe wasn't the best thing to wear, but I was scared and it was within reach. As I tiptoed to my bedroom door I saw a shoe sticking out from under my bed and picked it up. Now I was sort of armed, I pulled my bedroom door open and peered around it. The hall and lounge looked empty and so did the kitchen. The bathroom door was open and I doubted anyone was hiding in the bath. I walked down the hall, hugging the wall to make myself as invisible as possible, holding the heeled shoe out in front of me, ready to hit whoever was here on the head.

Once I was in the lounge, I picked up the phone and was relieved when I heard the dial tone. My first instinct was to call Spike, but I had left the speeding ticket down in my cars glove box, and that had his number on it. I had no idea which precinct he worked at either. My only option now was to call nine one one. Great!

After explaining the situation I was advised to leave the apartment and to go to a neighbors until help arrived. That was okay in theory. But my neighbors? Not exactly the friendliest bunch. I just humored the operator and when she said the officers would be there soon, I decided to stay put. I came to the conclusion that whoever had been in the apartment, had left. If they were here and wanted to hurt me then they had had plenty of time and opportunities by now. I was still shaken by the thought that someone had been in my home while I slept, but I felt safer in the knowledge that they weren't here now. I looked back over at the kitchen and could see the plate and beer bottle sitting by the sink. Knowing I had cleared up after dinner last night, I knew that 'he' had really made himself at home. After watching enough television programmes, I left the plate and bottle alone so they could use it as evidence. I was going through so many emotions now that I felt light headed and weak. How can someone break in, help themselves to my food and drink and sit watching me while they drew me? I sat on my couch and looked around. Had they done anything else? That was when I spotted the photographs had been moved. It was eerily familiar.

Angel.

Why hadn't I thought of him before now? It was then that the police arrived.Their knocking on the door startled me and I jumped. I got up and answered the door, allowing them in after they showed me their badges. Once inside I showed them into the lounge and we sat down. They looked around, checked the front door for signs of the break in and then started asking questions.

"Do you know of anyone that would do this? "

The female officer asked. They had told me their names but I forgot them, my mind too busy absorbing everything.

"My Ex, Angel. My photographs were moved last night and he used to do that all the time. I've been having problems with him since we split up. "

I half smiled as the male officer took notes. Obviously he was the new recruit or something.

"Could you provide his address, so we can check this out with him. Is there anyone else? Anyone who may want to hurt you? "

I shook my head and gave them any information they wanted or needed. While I finished talking to the female officer, the male collected the photo's, the beer bottle and the cutlery that he had used. On their way out, she turned to me and tapped the door.

"I suggest you start using all these locks and the safety chain, just in case he comes back. Have a nice day. "

They left and I closed the door, leaning my back against it.

I would have felt better if Spike had came instead of two uniforms. I wasn't that naive though and I knew that he wouldn't be able to work the case, a conflict of interests or something. Still, it didn't stop me wanting him. Now the police had gone I could tidy up, get that intruder syndrome over with. You know the one, where you feel like the place is contaminated or not your own anymore. I looked at the time, it was only ten a.m.

By midday I had had enough of cleaning the apartment and decided to go to the cafe around the corner and get some lunch. On my way out I saw the file again and picked it up. Maybe doing some work on the case would help take my mind off of Angel and what happened last night. As I closed and locked my door my neighbor, Ms. Showling came out. She stood and watched with an accusitory look upon her face and folded her arms. She was a pain in the ass. You couldn't exhale without her complaining that you had caused a tornado. Her husband was a nice enough guy. Funny that the sour faced women with nothing to do but moan, get the nicest husbands.

"I'm not usually one to complain, Miss Summers, but I'm afraid I have to. The level of noise coming from your apartment last night and the night before was totally unacceptable. "

I frowned and then my eyes widened, a smile graced my lips and disappeared the second she saw it and huffed. It wouldn't have taken a genius to work out what the noises had been if you had seen my face. Ms. Showling blushed.

"Just keep the noise down. I don't want to have to complain to the buildings super. Good day Miss Summers. "

She went back in to her apartment and locked her door. I'll come back and find that she had called her cronies, told them how debauched I am and how my latest squeeze had almost fucked me through the adjoining wall. Good luck to her. I had more pressing worries than a bunch of old ladies that liked to gossip.

The sun was out and it was already warm. It would have been hot but there was a light breeze that kept it cool. As it was so nice I took a table outside the cafe. I didn't have a long wait before a waiter came to take my order. As I unpacked the file he bought my extra large coffee and biscoti over. He smiled shyly and left me alone. It wasn't long before I was absorbed in work.

My attention was taken from work by a honk of car horns and someone yelling abuse out of his car. When I looked up I saw the last person I wanted to.

"What are you doing here? "

"Now, now ! Is that any way to talk to me? "

His smile, god I wanted to punch it off his face.

"After the stunt you pulled last night ... Yes! What the hell were you thinking and how did you get in? "

"Don't know what you are talking about. I was at home. "

He looked down at a spreadsheet that was close to him. I picked up the loose papers, put them in the file and slammed it shut.

"Touchy aren't we? Wasn't the Billy wannabe any good the other night? "

"Shut your foul mouth up and leave me alone! I'm warning you this once, Angel. The police came, they'll probably be calling on you later for that little stunt you pulled. Stay the hell away from me! "

I stood up, my breathing harsh and heavy and my lips stiffened into a grimace. I leaned over the table and shook my head. He was still smirking. I took a deep cleansing breath and let it out slowly.

"Angel, we are over. Nothing you can do will change that. If you don't stop following me around and pulling these stupid stunts like last nights, then you'll find yourself in a whole heap of shit. Just... please, just leave me alone! "

I picked up the file and threw a twenty down on the table and left. As I walked out of the cafe's patio, Angel grabbed my arm and spun me around. His free arm caught mine and he pulled me to his body, his head bowing to my shoulder. I struggled and he whispered for me to not make a scene. I stilled in his arms. To anyone that walked past we must have looked like lovers. Ain't that a joke?

"I just want a chance to show you that I have changed, that's all. Ditch Captain America and let us try again. I'll go to AA, get a job, do anything you want. "

"Nothing you do will make me give you another chance. My life's great, uncomplicated and that is how I want it to stay. I'm actually going places now Angel. You need to do all those things for yourself, not for me. Get over me Angel and move on the way I have. I can't keep doing this with you. "

He looked down at me and smiled sadly.

"I can't Buffy, I try and I can't. "

I felt for him then. His body hunched and his eyes so sad, tears brimming his lashes. His whole demeanor was so unlike him that I felt ... pity? I'm not sure, but he succeeded in making me forget my anger. I cupped his cheek and smiled sadly .

"You need to find someone to help you through this. I can't, Angel. You need to stop this crazy stuff with me or you'll end up in trouble. I'm sorry. "

His arms dropped from mine and I turned and walked away. What I didn't see was the look in his eyes as I walked away, or the muscles in his jaw twitch and his fists balled up at his thighs. If I had, I might have had some warning as to what was going to happen.

I got back to the apartment and was actually glad to be there. I locked the door and put my back against it, sighing heavily. After a few minutes I pushed off the door and put my keys and the file on the table in front of me. I kicked off my shoes and went into the kitchen. I opened the fridge and got myself a cool beer. It was only one in the afternoon but fuck it, I needed one. I walked into the lounge and slumped into the sofa. I glanced across at the phone and it's blinking light and groaned. I sat back up and went over to the machine and hit play to hear my messages. It beeped and the automated voice told me I had three new messages. The first was a telesales call which was deleted.The second was Greg, apologizing for his 'snippy, ' ( his word ,not mine,) attitude and that we needed to talk about the job offer on monday. Great! The third call was from Dawn. I hit play.

"Hi, sis! Betcha weren't expecting my call! Okay, look, I spoke to dad and he said I could come up and see you. Isn't that just fab? I can't wait to go shopping and hang out with you. It'll be like old times! Get back to me and let me know if this is okay with you! Love ya sis, kiss kiss. "

Just what I needed! Don't get me wrong, I love Dawn. But she is so hyper and can be self centered. I just don't have the time or energy to keep up with her, especially with my job. Faith adores her and usually takes her out to clubs. I'm grateful that she does as it wears her out and gives me a break. Since mum died, I've had to be the surrogate and there are times when it gets too much. It doesn't help that our deadbeat dad palms her off on me if he has something more important to do, like get laid or go on holiday.

If Angel was going psycho on me then Dawn being here was only going to complicate matters. Either that or put him off. He always had a soft spot for her. Maybe he wouldn't try anything with her here? I doubt there was anything I could do to put Dawn off, so I made the return call.

After saying that she could come for the weekend, Dawn had squealed down the phone and deafened me in one ear. I'm not exaggerating either, I couldn't hear out of my left ear. It was as if I had water logged in it. I guess I will get it back but, was there a need for her to do it? Apparently dad had business, in inverted comma's, in Dallas and he needed me to take care of Dawn. She's eighteen and technically she didn't need a sitter, but she's always been a magnet for trouble. I was looking forward to seeing her, if I was honest. I was just stressed with work and now with this Angel crap.

I went out on the balcony and looked out over the city. Smog had settled over the roof tops making the sun hazy and trapped the heat down under it. The breeze from earlier had now vanished. I looked down and saw a white blonde get out of a car and rush into the building. Spike had no doubt heard what had happened. I drank the last of my beer and walked in to put the empty bottle in the refuse and open the door for him. He came out of the stair way, he must have taken them two or three at a time, and rushed to me taking me in his arms and then holding me at arms length.

"I'm fine, no damage done. "

"I got back to the station and Nathan told me that we might have a stalker case. When I saw the report I came straight over. "

I moved from the door way and let him in. This time I didn't lock the door.

"Did he touch you? "

"No... no , he didn't. I had no idea until I woke and found the drawing and saw the plates and stuff. "

"I'm getting a couple of my mates in traffic to do drive by's until we get this sorted out. Do you think he's dangerous? "

"No! "

I almost laughed, Angel just didn't seem the type to hurt anyone. Sure he had a temper but he'd never raised a fist at me. I told Spike this and he nodded.

"Just because the man you knew wouldn't hurt you, it doesn't mean he won't now. Would you have expected him to break in and do what he did last night? "

I shook my head, no. I wouldn't have expected Angel to do this. But then hadn't he been violent the other night at the club? I hated that I had to tell the police and get him in trouble, but what if it wasn't him? He was the obvious suspect but that didn't mean it was him. It could be anyone. I told him about the cafe encounter and he took notes to add to the report once he went back to the precinct.

"Let me stay with you. I'll sleep on the couch or in the spare room, but I hate the thought of you being alone at night. "

"I'll be okay. I'll lock up and with your traffic cops doing the drive by's, I'm sure I'll be safe. "

Even as I said that I knew it sounded lame. His brow raised, he wasn't convinced either.

"Look, I know we're new and at the start of whatever this is, but I can't sit back and wait and see what happens here, pet. "

He stroked my cheek and pulled me into his arms. He was breathing heavily through his nose and his cheek rested on the top of my head. I felt safe there. His suit jacket smelled of dry cleaning, he smelled of cologne and of coffee, strong and bitter. He kissed the top of my head and I pulled away from him. We both went out onto the balcony and sat at the small patio table I had out there. He lit up a cigarette and blew out the smoke slowly before looking at me.

"The patrol car will pick him up later if they find anything that ties him to last night. You'll be given the option of pressing charges. I suggest you get a restraining order on him regardless of what we find, love. "

"I don't know. I mean, he is being a pain and the other night at the club was a shock, but I just can't believe he's capable of hurting me. "

"Lots of people deny the fact that it's their exes, but that is what makes them vulnerable. We have a chance to stop him and a restraining order is a good way of doing that. If he doesn't stop then we can arrest him without a warrant. If you don't and he gets in here again and he does anything else..... "

I knew what he was going to say. It was clear to see on his face. He, they, might be too late. I nodded. Maybe the restraining order would finally get through to Angel and make him accept the fact that we were over and there would be no going back. Who knows. I hoped so. I walked back into the lounge and got my shoes on. I picked up my keys as Spike came back in from the balcony and shut the door. He smiled at me and together we went back to the station.

Angel stood in the shadows of the alley opposite the apartment building and watched as Spike helped me into his car and then walked briskly to the drivers side. He got in, leaned across and kissed my cheek before pulling away into the traffic. Angel closed his eyes tight and looked away. He looked up at the apartment and crossed over through heavy traffic. He went down the side of the building and started climbing the fire escape staircase.


Once we arrived at the station, Spike lead me upstairs and into an office. He pulled out the chair and told me to sit. He walked to the other side of the huge desk and took off his suit jacket. I watched and couldn't help staring at the shoulder holster and gun. I knew he watched me too and he sat down and leaned back in his chair. I cleared my throat and looked down at my clasped hands that sat in my lap. The office door burst open and a man in shirt and holster came in with two coffees. He placed them on the desk and left without saying anything.

Spike pulled open a drawer in his desk and asked, " sugar? "

"Two please. "

Great tension, cut it with a knife and serve cold.

Spike emptied a large amount of sachets into his coffee and stirred loudly. I looked up at him as he started talking.

"If this is too weird for you then just say and I'll have someone else take care of the restraining order. "

"No, it's not you. It's just the whole situation. "

"Don't worry your pretty head about it, okay? I'm here all the way and will go through it all with you. I'll help you get through it. "

I smiled again, "Thanks. "

"No need to thank me princess, now, " he opened another drawer and pulled out a form.

"This is the form you need to fill in. We'll go over it slowly and then fill it in. You just have to give a written statement as to why you believe he is dangerous enough for you to need this. Once it's done then we hand it over and it gets processed. Whatever happens you'll have the law on your side. "

"Okay. "

I sipped the coffee and had to swallow hard.

"Eurgh, that has to be the worst coffee I have ever tasted. "

He laughed and nodded.

" Yeah, it grows on you after a while. Either that or it kills off your tastebuds. "

It was my turn to laugh and push the cup away.

"Spike? Us? Will you be able to take part in the case, what with us being, involved? If there is a case? "

He sat back in his chair and raised that brow again.

"Technically? No, but. ... "

"I don't want you to get any problems because of this. If there's someone you can get to take over then you should. I won't mind. "

"No, you might not, but I will. " He sat forward again and leaned his arms on the desk. "Buffy, let me do this, pet. Let me look after you. Please? "

I nodded. He was insistent and seemed to know what he was doing. Who was I to interfere? I felt safe with him and I trusted him.

"Right, lets get this done, yeah? "

"Yeah. "


Angel entered the apartment through the large sash window and looked around. He walked into the bedroom and took a deep breath. His first target was the bed. He pulled the sheets and covers off and threw them behind him. He looked around and went to the dressing table, opened a drawer and picked up the scissors. He went back to the mattress and slashed at it. Foam and stuffing spilled out and filled the air with fibres. Content with the destruction there, Angel opened up the wardrobe and took out clothes and tore at them. Breathing heavily now, he walked into the bathroom and stood in the doorway. His fists clenched and he roared as he wiped the contents of the shelves off and smashed perfume bottles. He tore the shower curtain down then turned to smash the cabinet mirror.

Happy with his trail of devastation in the last two rooms, he started on the lounge. The TV was thrown from its shelf to smash on the floor, the cd player was treated to the same fate. The sofa and chairs were ripped and the pillows were shredded. Feathers and stuffing littered the room. Once he was happy with the trail of devastation in that room he moved into the kitchen. Cupboards were emptied onto the floor, sauces and dried foods were spilt everywhere. His final assault on the apartment was to take Buffy's bright red lipstick and to write on the white wall in the lounge,

' NEVER BE FREE WHORE. '

Satisfied, Angel left the apartment the same way he entered. He walked down the side of the building and out onto the street behind. There, he caught a cab and went to a hotel to clean himself up.