Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you all for the awesome reviews! You are all so fantastic and have made my day!
Chapter Six.


I was glad it was over. Spike was going to do everything necessary for the restraining order to be rushed through and to have Nathan, the officer that came to the apartment, do the drive by's and calls so that he wasn't too involved. It put my mind at rest. I was happier, well kind of. I was tired again and just wanted to go home and vegetate on the sofa with a pint of Ben and Jerry's and Spike.

I agreed that having Spike stay over would be the best thing for me. That way if Angel decided to make another impromptu call in the middle of the night, I would be safe. It made Spike feel better too. Of course he also hinted that there was the added bonus of sex whenever we wanted it, which with him was bound to be constant. I admit that I rolled my eyes when he mentioned it, but inside I was doing cartwheels. I'm human, and sex was fantastic with him. Would you turn it down? I thought not.

Spikes boss came in to his office and smiled at me, I smiled back. She leaned against his desk and spoke low in his ear.

" The other case has been handed over to Jerry, leaving you free to take on this case if you want to. I strongly suggest that you keep the fact that you and Ms. Summers here are involved quiet. "

Spike went to say something but she put her hand up to stop him.

"Don't deny it. I'm no idiot, Spike. Just keep it purely professional around here and nobody will know except the three of us. Just don't make me regret my decision. "

She didn't wait for him to answer her, she looked at me and winked before leaving us alone again.

"Well that was unexpected wouldn't you say? " I said.

Spike was still looking at the now empty space that his boss had been in a few seconds earlier.

"Huh? Oh, yeah, " he said before shaking his head and setting some papers aside.

"Makes me feel a damn sight happier knowing that I can be with you without any problems. Do you mind if when we finish up here, and then we pop back to mine so I can pick up a few bits? It won't take long and then we can go back to your apartment. "

"That's fine, " I said. "We might have to go food shopping though. I'm really bad at stocking up in case of visitors or house guests. I usually just grab a take out on my way home. "

He laughed before telling me that I was more like a single guy. Spike tucked some files away and shut the drawer in his desk, then stood up. He then held his arm out, gesturing that I should go out of the office first. It seemed that the worst was done and it would just be a wait and see game. Spike and I left the building and headed to his car. He leaned over and took a tape from the glove box and slammed it into the player. His fingers tapped out the beat as he sang along to a loud punk tune while he drove through the late afternoon traffic.

I felt more relaxed than I had since this whole fiasco had started. Shopping for food with Spike somehow felt more domesticated than it had rights to be. I had gone straight to the freezer compartment and had picked up two ready to cook Chinese meals. Spike had taken them from me and shook his head.

"No way am I eating that! Come with me. " He said.

I followed him.

He had quickly started to pick up vegetables, squeezing them and smelling them before putting them into bags. At my 'you must be crazy' look, he picked up some oranges and juggled with them, making me laugh. Embarrassed when he dropped them, I left him stood there with a crowd of women, applauding him. He took it in his stride, bowed and ran to catch up with me.

" What did you run off for? That brunette looked like she was going to eat me! "

I laughed at him. "Not bloody funny, " he shuddered. " She was scary. "

I shook my head at him and dragged him to the counter to pay. After leaving the store, he drove to his home to pick up whatever he needed while he stayed with me.

It wasn't what I had expected. I thought that he would have the typical bachelor apartment or something, but here was a suburban, two storey house. It looked well cared for too.

He bounced up the porch steps and opened the door. After closing the door behind me, he put his hand on my lower back and showed me around. It was simply furnished but looked homey. Simple furniture made the rooms light and airy and kept them uncluttered. Easy upkeep for a busy detective, I thought. He took me out into the back garden and held my hand as we looked out across the garden.

"It goes all the way round to the side of the house, where I put in a pool. It's private that side, so nobody can see. Last thing I wanted was the local kids seeing it and using it while I'm at work. That or the single mums around here watching me. That side gets the best of the sun too. "

He lead me over to it while he spoke.

It was nice. I could see myself having a swim on hot days in it, and I had to remind myself that we were new and had no idea where this relationship, if you could call it that, would lead. It felt like I had known Spike longer than just a few days. Bad Buffy for jumping the gun.

He kissed my cheek before excusing himself. I looked over to see him go back inside before I sat on the pool edge, dipped my toes in and swung them while I waited for him to return. It wasn't a long wait and he was soon sat beside me, his feet in the water as well.

"Be dark soon. Shouldn't we get you back to your place, pet? "

I nodded. If I was honest I wasn't in any hurry and was actually dreading going back. I got up slowly and picked up my shoes before walking back in to Spike's home. After he had locked the back of the house, he picked up his overnight bag and stood at the front door.

"I know how you feel, but if you don't go back, he'd of won. You want him to win? "

"No! I'm just, "

He put down his bag and came to me, rubbed my shoulders and kissed me lightly on the forehead.

"I'll be with you, I won't let anything happen to you. I promise. "

"I know. "

"Come on then sweetheart, " he said as he smiled and lead me to the front door.

He locked it behind us and opened the passenger door to the car for me. After I was settled, he opened the trunk and threw the overnight bag in and slammed it shut, making me jump. I watched as he got in, leaning into me and stealing a kiss as he put on his seatbelt. He had a grin on his face as he pulled away and drove us back towards my apartment.

I looked up at the dark windows of my apartment as Spike slowed to pull in outside. A feeling of dread or something similar settled in my gut. I hesitated to get out of the car, but with a gentle nudge from Spike, I did. He retrieved his overnight bag and groceries from the trunk while I stood staring at the windows again. I stopped and looked over my shoulder when an arm wrapped around my waist.

"Come on then love, lets go upstairs and I'll make us something to eat. "

"Something isn't right. I had a pot plant on the window sill, it's not there now. "

Spike looked up and frowned.

"Maybe you watered it and didn't put it back? Buffy, the police have been keeping an eye on the place all day, I doubt anything is wrong. You're just nervous. "

I nodded, maybe he was right. I took a grocery bag from him and walked into the building, my stomach still churning.

My neighbor stood just inside her door as we stepped out of the elevator and closed her door once she saw us. I shook my head as I thought of what gossip she would be spreading now. No doubt, she'll be on the phone to her friends already, filling them in on the latest goings on in my life. Her life must be so dull.

I opened the door and flicked the light switch on. The first sign that something was definitely wrong hit us as I took a step over the threshold. The overwhelming aroma of my perfume. Spike pushed passed me, drawing his gun as he did. He put his hand against my front, his way of telling me to stay there as he advanced into the apartment.

He hugged the wall and walked slowly towards the kitchen, peering around the door frame. From there he could see down the hall to the bedrooms and the lounge area. There couldn't be anyone here as he dropped the gun to his side and walked forward. Once he was stood in the lounge area he turned to me, the look on his face telling me something was seriously wrong. I walked to him, taking small steps. My head was screaming at me to not look, not to go any farther, but my legs took me to Spike. Traitors!

I looked briefly into the kitchen and saw the open cupboards and the food that littered the surface and floor. I dry swallowed and carried on walking. I saw the television, smashed and turned onto it's side on the floor, the stereo, the plants that had been ripped from their pots, their soil spilled. The broken and ripped furniture, ruined in rage. I stopped dead, still, tears fell silently as I stared at everything. Then my eyes looked up and saw the writing on the wall, blurred by my tears.

"Oh my god, no! "

Arms held me to his chest and Spike dropped kisses to my head as he spoke quietly, soothing me as I took in all the devastation.

"Why is he doing this to me? "

"I don't know sweetheart. I'm just going to call this in, Buffy. Go and get some overnight things packed. Once the police get here, we'll go back to my place. You can't stay here, it's just not safe. "

I looked up at him and nodded. His voice was deep, letting me know that he was not going to be taking no for an answer. I hesitated in the hall, not wanting to look at my bedroom, to not go in and see what had been done in there. Spike came to me, stood behind me and urged me on. It took all my strength just to open the door. Once it was open, I sobbed. I could hear Spike talking on the phone while I gathered clothes that Angel hadn't ruined. Most were covered in make up and my perfume, all sorts, but would hopefully be wearable after a wash. With my bag full, I walked back into the lounge just as Spike finished his call.

"Boss said it's fine for you to stay with me for the time being, but they'll find us a safe house soon. You got everything? "

I held up the bag, which he took from me and with a final look around at my devastated apartment, we left.

Angel sat in the darkened room of the hotel, his leg bounced and he chewed on his nails as he brooded on everything that was going wrong in his life. No matter what he did he couldn't escape her.

Everything reminded him of her, his dreams where full of her, he felt as though he was drowning in her. He knew what he was doing was wrong and that he would be caught. He had no doubt that he would be facing charges because of it, but he couldn't stop. Logic wasn't an issue while he was breaking into her flat and vandalizing the place.

Maybe if he went to her and talked to her again she would understand why he had done what he had, and maybe there was a chance she would forgive him and take him back? The only fly in that logic was the new man in her life. He would have to take care of him first.

Angel stood up and went to the bedside cabinet and took the gun out. He opened the chamber and spun it, checking that it was fully loaded before he tucked into the back of his jeans. He swung his jacket up and slipped his arms in as he left the hotel room.


Loading his car up with my stuff, Spike watched the area while I ran back to get my mail. He assured me that the police that would do the drive by's would stop and pick up any mail I got while I stayed with him. I appreciated it as I had a few cases at work that needed my input and they couldn't be put on hold or passed over to someone else. That was something that I would have to do tomorrow, tell Greg the bad news. I'm sure he would kick up a fuss and possibly think it was an excuse. Especially after Blaine making me the offer. Who cares? If he fires me because of it, then at least I have the job offer from Blaine. It wasn't top of my list at the moment. Staying safe was.

I walked back out of the apartment block, shuffling my mail, reading the envelopes and hardly paying attention to anything else. Spike leaned against the car, smoking and watching me as I walked a staggered line to him. He smiled when I finally looked up at him and pushed off of the car to meet me.

Three things happened in quick succession, a woman screamed, Spike looked around as he pulled his gun and grabbed me, pulling me down to the ground and shots rang out. I heard the air from his lungs leave him as if he'd been hit by something heavy as he laid on my back, not moving. Shit!