Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you to Cordykitten, PhotographyNut and Jenny for the reviews! I'm glad that you are enjoying the story so far...

The morning after .....
Chapter Three

I was right, we were in the shower a long time, long enough for the water to run cold. Not that it bothered our over heated skin. In fact, we were grateful. Now I sat on the bed combing out my wet hair, Spike was sat at the top of the bed, my covers loosely covering his lower body, watching me.

"Are you hungry? I'm sure that you must be after all our ... exertions ... I know I am, " I asked, looking at him through the mirror.

"Only thing I'm still hungry for .... "

"You. Are. Insatiable, " I punctuated, "Don't you ever quit? "

"Not until I get what I want .. no, " he said as he smiled. "I could go for another coffee. How about we get dressed and I take you out for breakfast? I know this really good diner and it's not far from here. "

I liked that idea. I was worn out, but still euphoric from our marathon of sex and the idea of cooking was not that appealing. Not that I can cook much anyway. I looked at the clock on my night stand, it was five a.m. I definitely would need something to help keep me awake today, so I nodded. Spike threw back the covers and walked to his clothing on the floor.I threw on a pair of jeans and a white vest, picking a long knitted coat to wear over them. I gathered my hair and pulled it up in a loose bun and he smiled.

"Ready? " he asked as I slipped on my boots.

"Yeah, good to go. " I walked out of the bedroom and into the hall to pick up my keys. Spike followed me out and checked his pockets before we left.

The diner was close to my apartment as he had said. Eyes watched us as we walked in and a man behind the counter nodded to us. We sat in a semi private booth and talked until the waitress came to take our order. It appeared she knew Spike very well and they chatted easily. She was tall, plain looking with hardly any make up on and her hair looked a few weeks past it's next dye date. Don't get me wrong, I'm not being a bitch because of how I felt, but you all know the type, right? I wasn't won over by her openly flirting with Spike while she rested her butt on the table, her back to me, either. I felt odd as the woman flirted and talked to him, handing me the menu without even glancing my way as she slid her ass off the table. To feel jealous was ridiculous, what we had was a one night wonder. I knew it and yet it didn't stop it from rising up in me.

"What will you have, love? " he asked me and I snapped my head up from the menu and frowned.

My thoughts and mood must have shown on my face as he reached across the table and rubbed the back of my hand with his thumb. It did little to help and the waitress seemed to notice it and backed off.

"I'll have the pancakes, lots of syrup and a large strong coffee, please. " I closed the menu and placed it down on the table. I drew my hand away and watched as she turned to ask Spike.

"Usual , big guy? "

"Yeah and keep the coffee coming, I have a feeling I'll be needing it, " he looked at me and smirked.

His blue eyes shone with the boyish mischief from earlier and yet it did not seem to have the same affect on me now. The waitress left to place the order, he looked at her briefly and then smiled.

He looked at me and half laughed, " Take no notice of Delores, she's a terrible flirt , can't help herself, she thinks it gets her better tips. "

I held his gaze and mouthed 'oh. ' I looked at her and saw her doing it with the table across from us. Some women had no class, she was one. Spike leaned back against the seat and watched me intently as I looked around at the other customers, my eyes finally meeting his.

" Tell me about you, love. "

"Hit me with the tough stuff, huh? Okay... well I work for an accountant, I do all the work while he reaps the rewards. It isn't what I wanted to do but it's a job, right? I have a sister who is the biggest pain in my ass, she's seventeen and thinks the world revolves around her. My parents split when I was eight and mum did everything she could to give us a stable home. She died three years ago in a car accident. After that, Dawn moved in with dad and I moved here to be close to her. My father hasn't been known for his paternal streak in the past and I wanted to be there for Dawn in case he decided that she cramps his style. "

His eyes had saddened and he leaned forward, taking my hand in his. "I'm sorry if my prying opened some wounds, but I'm glad that I know more about you.I want to .... know more, if you let me? "

I nodded, smiled and then turned to see that Delores had brought our order over. We leaned away from one another as she placed the plates and cups down. Spike said "Thanks" as he picked up the salt pot and started to pour a generous amount over his full English breakfast.

Delores left our table with only a grunt in my direction. I shook my head and had to wonder if there had been something between her and Spike after all.

"So what about you then, Officer Taylor. Do I get to know you better? "

"Not much to tell really. I grew up in London and moved to the U.S. when I was fourteen. Mum lives in the U.K again but I loved it here. She moved back to London when I was eighteen, I stayed. I was out of control then, getting into all sorts of trouble.You wouldn't recognize me if you saw a photo of me from that time.I was in to punk and died my hair weird colours. Anyway, I had to do some community services as a punishment and met a man who took me in and straightened me out. It's because of him that I'm a detective . He paid for me to attend college and get the necessary qualifications I needed to become a cop. "

"I thought you were a traffic cop? " I said

"No, that was what happens when you lose a bet with your Super, " he smirked.

"Why a police officer? If you were as bad as you said.... "

"I needed to change ... fast, before I ended up doing something that had severe consequences. I chose to be the one that puts the bad guys away. "

"You make your job sound easy, " I said as I ate. The pancakes were the best I had eaten.

He smiled widely and shook his head "It's hardly that "

I didn't doubt him. "I guess it doesn't leave you with much spare time? "


"I have my days off and if I end up doing nights, I get my days to myself. " he glanced at his watch and carried on eating.

"What do you do on your days or nights off? " I put my fork down and pushed my plate away.

He shrugged when I looked back at him. " Go out with friends, watch a game on TV, the usual stuff. When things are hard at work or I'm working on a particularly nasty case, I like to get on my bike , ride down to the coast and just sit on the beach. It must seem strange or very dull to you? "

"Not at all, " I replied and rested my elbow on the table so that I could listen intently .

"See, there at the beach, I get the peace I need to sort through all the thoughts that go around in my head. I get to see people enjoying the same thing I am, or just being with the ones they love and it puts what I deal with every day into perspective. "

I could understand what he was saying and actually envied him the experience. I never took the time to stop, sit down somewhere peaceful and arrange my thoughts and feelings. Stress was a very major part of my life, I should have some escape the way he did.

"You should come one day, try it. We could always go for a meal on the way home or something? Anyway, you think about that and get back to me. You have my number still? "

"Yeah.. in my car .... somewhere. "

He rolled his eyes and shook his head, " Buffy? " I looked up at him, guilty as charged , "You're one of those that files a ticket in the glove compartment until it's overdue... You surprise me. "

"Well in my defense Officer, I had a really bad day yesterday and then I had a nymphomaniac use my body for his own pleasure all night. "

His eyes smiled and his tongue curled suggestively over his teeth and lip as he raised and lowered his brows. "Really, then I excuse you this time, don't make a habit of it or I'll be forced to punish you. " He leaned forward and placed a gentle kiss against my forehead. "Anyway, I'm really sorry about this but I have to get to work, love. n I drop you back at your apartment? "

I stood up from the booth and nodded, "That would be cool, thanks. "

Spike picked up his keys and then took a few notes out of his wallet and threw them onto the table. He waved at Delores and the chef then took my hand as we walked out to his car. He held the door open for me to get in and then ran to the drivers side. He started the car and pulled out of the car park. Both of us sat quietly again as he made his way across town.

He had said that it would be nice to go to the beach together, but I was still too cynical to believe that this would be more than a one night stand. How jaded had I become? I was so immersed in my thoughts that I was surprised when he pulled up outside my block. Now I felt uncomfortable.

He switched the engine off and turned to me, one arm rested on the steering wheel. "Last night was amazing ... for me at least. You'll be okay, right? "

"I'll be fine, " I said sharply, sharper than I would have liked.

His eyes held mine in his gaze and he nodded. "If Angel causes you any problems, get in touch with me and I will be straight round. "

"Thank you but I doubt he will. He can be an idiot when he's drunk and yes, he can be a bit harsh, I doubt he's actually a threat to me or my safety. " Spike didn't look convinced.

"When can I see you again, love? " His eyes had softened and he had almost a boyish look about him. It was endearing and he smiled, causing me to do the same.

"When are you free? I have my nights to myself and my weekends are free. "

"Saturday? " He asked and I nodded, "Great! I'll pick you up about say.... Two ? "

"Two? " I questioned.

"Yeah , I thought we could take that trip to the beach, make a day of it. "


"Sounds good. Saturday then...... "

He leaned forward, his hand laid across the back of the seat, pulling me into him. I closed my eyes as his lips touched mine and felt myself get swept up by the lust again. I knew that he felt it to as he moaned in to my mouth, we drew air and broke away. When I looked up into his eyes it was as if the world had stopped. I finally shook off the spell and gave him one last kiss before I picked up my bag and opened the car door. I closed it and turned to look up at the apartment window, when I looked back he was pulling out into the early morning traffic.

Wait until I met with Faith after work, she won't believe that straight laced Buffy spent last night having the most amazing sex with a complete stranger. I shook my head, I should be ashamed but damn! It was good!