The Durango sped its way to the local Sunnydale police department as Buffy worked out her anger and sheer-terror on the steering wheel, her fear finally coming to the surface as she recalled the sheer fascination in the killer’s note. He was obsessed with her and wasn’t afraid to say it. Yet there was something familiar about the letter that shocked her but she couldn’t place it. There was nothing that was going to stop him, short of a bullet to the skull, from deterring from his path and she knew it. As she gripped the steering wheel again, indents in the leather were visible even to her partner in the passenger seat as he clung to the door, praying to survive the twenty minute drive.

“Buffy, pet, there’s something I wanted to ask you…”

Her head turned towards his before swerving the large SUV away from oncoming traffic. “What?”

“I was, well, I was wondering if you’d maybe thought any more about marrying me. Especially with this psycho bloke on the loose, if we were…”

“No… and what is with you and crappy proposals, first during a shootout and now while I’m driving. Seriously Spike, there are books for dummies like you.” She laughed at the scowl that crossed his face.

“So if I asked you during a romantic candle-lit dinner, you would say yes?” Spike’s face took on a hopeful quality as he pouted at her.

“Maybe…probably…I don’t know. There’s so much to consider…our careers, my family…” Buffy shifted in her seat as she slowed to a stop at a red light, tapping her fingers against the abused steering wheel.

“So if I asked you tonight at dinner, would you say yes?”

“Dinner with my parents, yeah that’s really romantic Romeo. Try again.”

Her erratic driving slowed as she neared the station, dodging through meandering pedestrians before finally parking in front of the station. She paused momentarily as Spike’s hand made its way to her inner thigh, rubbing comforting circles across the fabric of her pants.

Buffy gave Spike a quick smile before hopping out of the Durango she’d just parked in front of the police station. As she rounded the front of the car, she doubled over in agony, clutching at her abdomen, her shriek piercing Spike’s psyche as he ran to her side. The searing pain scorched through her stomach as she searched blindly for the source of the pain. Her left hand found something sticky and wet under her ribs as it came back up to her face covered in blood. The red liquid staining the grey cement beneath her as the dripping blood pooled out of her. Her wide green eyes met Spike’s as she dropped into his waiting embrace. His blue eyes met hers once last time before hollering for help and easing her closer to his chest, his gaze darting through the crowd surrounding them as he searched for the faceless gunman.

“S-Spike I-I can’t…” Her body began to shake she fought the burning pain and the intense need to close her eyes and succumb to the agony. She fought against the over-whelming need to let go, desperate clinging to the blurry image of his face before her. Thinking fast he lowered her to the ground, shedding his own jacket to lay her on as they waited for the ambulance. As years of training kicked in, he applied pressure to the still-bleeding wound as he watched her struggle to breathe freely. She struggled with each impending breath as she focused on not moving her abdomen.

“S-Spike I-I love you…please tell Dawnie that I love her more than life itself and my parents. P-please promise me Spike…” Her eyes closed in an effort to conserve what little energy she had left and he felt a piece of him die as her breathing became slowed and even more labored than before. Resting his forehead against her own, he spoke senseless words of comfort and love to her still-shaking form, willing her to live for him.

Spike lifted his head at the sound of the wailing siren of the ambulance as he searched over and through the throng of people surrounding the fallen officer. “Hold on pet…just a few more minutes…” He was pushed aside as a pair of E.M.T’s stepped in to do their jobs.

Within moments she was loaded in the ambulance, leaving a stunned Spike kneeling on the sidewalk,

“Detective Pratt, get in the car.” Giles stood behind the sobbing officer, his hand rested in a comforting gesture on the man’s shoulder.

Spike nodded and trudged silently behind the older man to another Durango parked behind the one Buffy had been driving, now taped off with yellow crime scene tape.
He sat glumly in the passenger’s seat as he recalled her smiling face just a couple of years ago at the beach.

4 years ago…Sunnydale Public Beach…

“Buffy luv you’re going to catch a cold out here. It’s the middle of winter. ‘M going to get that lip.” His lips crashed down on hers as his arms came to rest around her tiny frame.

“Make love to me Spike” Her shining green eyes met his as she pulled back from him slightly, her mouth parting in a brilliant smile as she laughed at his shocked expression.

“On the beach pet? There are still people here and…” His questioning was stopped by her lips grazing his once again.

“Doesn’t have to be on the beach, we could go to a hotel or the car even…”

“‘S not going to happen kitten. My girl deserves better than the backseat of a car for our first time together.” He gulped audibly as her tiny hand stroked him through his jeans.

“Hotel then?” She smiled as he nodded his head vigorously.

Present time…

Spike followed Giles as they made their way to the ICU waiting room, only to be met by a room full of officers already waiting for the news. He was engulfed by a pair of strong arms belonging to Buffy’s mother as a young girl wrapped her own tiny arms around his leg.

“H-how is she?” His voice sounded drawn, even to his own ears as he waited for Buffy’s mother to answer him.