“Come on, Giles, let me go back into the field. I’m bored in here and really I’m completely useless on desk duty. Heck, half the time I don’t even sit at my desk.” Buffy whined as she paced back and forth in front of her boss’ desk as he cleaned his glasses in annoyance.

“You haven’t had the proper time to deal…”

Buffy hopped up and down in place, waving her arms above her head, “I’m completely healed. Nothing broken and I’ve already had the stitches out for nearly two months now. There isn’t any more of me to heal. I’m totally good, Giles.”

The chief of police only nodded in the negative, “I meant that you haven’t had time to recover mentally and emotionally. Physically, yes, you are completely healed but I am just not sure about your mental state. You want too much to go back into the field, bullets flying, without a care in the world and I cannot condone sending an officer under my authority out into the field like that.” He knew it was a losing battle considering this was the fourth time in a week she had shown up early to work and danced around the same speech as she begged to go back into the field. “Wait for a bit and then we will reevaluate later.”

Smoothing her black jacket back down, Buffy toyed with a stray strand of hair, “What if I only go on street patrol? Nothing serious. Just ride around in the car next to Spike. I’ll even let him drive.” Giles started to shake his head ‘no’ when she cut him off abruptly. “You have to let me do something outside of this building, Giles, I’m going completely insane sitting in here. I played checkers with Jonathon yesterday ‘cause I was so bored.”

Rupert Giles knew a losing fight when he saw one and knew the precise moment his reserves began to falter. Her damn pout had gotten the best of him yet again and he reluctantly handed her the keys to her issued vehicle. Shaking his head when she nearly bolted out of the room, anxious to get started on her newest case.

Twenty minutes later, Lieutenant Summers stood in line at the Java Hut ready and willing to purchase and carry back a box of donuts and three coffees- two black and one with heavy creamer.

“Welcome to The Java Hut. How many we caffeinate you today?” A pimply-faced teenage prattled off about the specials of the day and how to save the environment before waiting for the officers order.

Buffy grinned. Driving around and buying donuts was a better option than sitting at the station twiddling her thumbs while the other officers got to have all the fun. “Three coffees- two black and one heavy on the cream. Oh, and a half dozen of the glazed and the other half jelly.”

“Hello lover.” The deep, husky voice whispered from behind her.

She turned her head the slightest centimeter and came face to face with Angelus. Arching her back slightly she could feel the barrel of his gun aimed at the small of her back. “What do you want?” She whispered back, careful to keep smiling for the coffee shop’s employees.

Angelus sneered and pressed the gun harder against her back, “Just to talk, sweetheart. It seems the last time we saw each other it didn’t end on the best of terms. You gave me a little souvenir and I find myself struggling to find one that… let’s say meets your poetic justice.”

“You just want to talk? Somehow I’m finding that hard to believe.” As the barista handed her the box and drinks, she found she had nowhere to go and no way to reach her gun.

“Don’t even think about it, lover. I could blow you to pieces before you even had time to reach for your weapon. You really should be more careful, especially when you’ve only just recovered from the last time we met.”
Buffy gulped around the lump in her throat and half-whispered, “So it was you that shot me?”

Angelus chuckled, “No, I’m sorry to say it wasn’t. I did watch though and bravo to young William for rescuing you. It was quite the performance, if I do say so myself. I’ll be seeing you, lover.”

The barrel of the gun retreated from her back as Angelus slowly backed away from her. “That talk will have to wait since your little friends are starting to arrive. Tell Spike hello for me. It‘s been awhile since I last saw him. Tell him Dru is doing just fine with me.” He was gone in a flash and replaced by a more familiar bleached blonde.

“You look a bit spooked there, luv. Harder case than you thought?” Spike smirked as he helped himself to a donut, trying to look inconspicuous as to the reason he was there.

She shook it off, knowing they would never be able to track Angelus with just the two of them, especially since she was still technically under a medical hold. “No, I’m good. All with the goodness here. Nothing to worry about.”

He smiled and grazed her hand with his own. Three months and although nothing between them was official, it was definitely moving in the right direction. “Ready to head back or did Giles send you out for something else?”

“Why are you even here?” She suddenly asked. “You hate the coffee here and this isn’t on your normal way to work.”

“Can’t a bloke jus’ decide to spend some time with ‘is girl?” He flashed a smile, hoping to win over some points so he wouldn’t have to tell her the real reason he was there.

She shrugged and handed the box to him. “I’m not your girl.”

“Still singing that tune, pet?”

Whipping around to glare at him, she replied, “Not a tune. I’m not your girl now and I have never have been your girl.”

Dumping the box of donuts unceremoniously into her hands, he stepped back and silently appraised her as she struggled to balance the coffee and the box. “Right then, I’ll just be off ‘n you can finish up your little job. Might want to watch that box, luv, it’s a bit heavier than it looks.” Making a casual exit he made it three strides before spinning on his heel and snagging the box before it began to teeter out of her hands. Mumbling to himself, “Love’s bitch,” as he motioned for her to head out the door in front of him.