Chapter 10

“What the Hell happened back there?” Buffy wondered, tossing Spike an ice pack as she settled down on the couch next to him.

“Doesn’t matter.”

“Spike.”

“Just…something he said just made me snap, and I wanted to shut him up.” He looked at her before applying the ice pack to his eye. “Really, it doesn’t matter.” Buffy sighed and nodded, deciding she really didn’t want to know what those assholes had said.

“You’re gonna be the talk of the school on Monday, that’s for sure, though I’m pretty sure Angel and Parker are in worse shape than you.”

“Yeah, well I don’t exactly want this getting around.”

“I won’t say anything,” Buffy assured him. She sighed and shook her head. “My mom’s gonna have questions, you know.”

“Yeah, well, maybe dinner isn’t such a good idea after all, hmm?”

“No, we’ll do dinner. I know my mother hates fighting, but she also hates it when people don’t stand up for what’s right. Whatever happened out there today, you did it for me, and she’ll understand that.” Spike grumbled something but continued to hold the ice pack to his head.

“Do you need anything?”

“Could use a couple aspirin.” Buffy nodded.

“Coming right up.” She headed into the bathroom and searched his medicine cabinet. A few minutes later, she returned to the living room. “You’re all out. I’ll go down the street to the drug store and get you some, ok?”

“You don’t have to, pet. It’s not that bad.”

“Hush. I’m gonna take care of you. It’s the least I could do after you so bravely defended my honor.” Spike grinned at her theatrics.

“Alright, luv.” She bent down to kiss him softly.

“I’ll see you in a few, ok?” Spike nodded, and Buffy headed off to the pharmacy.

***

When the door opened a few minutes later, Spike was sprawled out on the couch staring at the ceiling.

“That was fast, pet.”

“Hello, William.” Spike shot up on the couch and turned to see Dru standing in the doorway.

“What do you want, Dru?”

“I came to tell you that I still have some of your things.”

“I don’t want them. You can keep them, throw them out. I don’t give a damn. Now leave me alone.”

“Your relationship with her is a lie, sweet William.” He felt his nerves wearing thin. He hated when she got all cryptic.

“The only thing that’s a lie is whatever relationship we once had.”

“He broke my heart.”

“Pardon me for not feeling sorry for you, Dru. I don’t give a damn that he hurt you. In fact, I couldn’t be happier.” He saw the tears forming in her eyes. “All you did was use me and lie to me. We were never right for each other. I see that now. Move on, Dru. You certainly did when you jumped into Angel’s arms, didn’t you?”

“My Angel…promised to carry me away. Promised me shiny things, sweet things.” Spike thought briefly about asking her whether she was dropped on her head at birth, but the pounding in his own head was distracting him, and he winced. “He told me what he did to you.”

“Yeah, well, he got as good as he gave. Don’t really wanna talk about it.”

“Is it worth it?”

“What?”

“Is it worth being with her with the rest of the world wants you apart?”

“We’re high schoolers, Dru. People could care less about who’s dating who. We’re not on Dawson’s bloody Creek, unless there are hidden cameras I don’t know anything about.”

“She isn’t right for you!”

“Sod off! You don’t know anything.”

“She doesn’t make you feel the way I did.” Spike stood slowly and made his way across the room. Dru backed herself against the door, trembling under Spike’s hard gaze.

“You’re right about that one. She doesn’t make me feel sick inside every time I look at her. You had your chance, Dru. We’re done. You hammered in that final nail when you picked Angel. And I’ve gotta say…it was the best decision you ever made. If it hadn’t been for you, I never would’ve let myself believe I could ever have something as good as I have now. So thank you, Dru. Thank you for being the little whore you are. Thank you for opening my eyes and giving me the chance to know the love of a good woman.”

“You don’t mean these things,” Dru whimpered.

“Oh, but I do.” He ran his fingertips down her cheek, a soft movement contrasting with the anger in his eyes. “You see, what we had, Dru? What we had was a sick little game. It was your own personal ego boost. We were never close. What we had was…”

“Passion, William.” Spike smirked at that.

“That’s what I thought too, until Buffy. What he had doesn’t even compare. Knowing somebody? Knowing them completely, inside and out? That’s what makes passion so magical. I don’t know you, Drusilla. I don’t want to know you. And I think deep down, I never really wanted you. You were just…” He looked right into her eyes, getting just a bit closer. “You were a convenient way to take my mind off of the one person I truly wanted.”

“Spike?” The front door opened and closed quickly behind Drusilla. “Spike, open the door.” Spike’s jaw clenched, and he motioned for Dru to get out of the way. She stepped aside, and Spike opened the door to see Buffy standing there.

“That was fast, luv.”

“Yeah, Cordelia saw me and gave me a ride.” She saw the apprehension in his eyes. “What’s wrong?”

“I’m not alone,” he muttered. Buffy cocked her head to the side.

“What?” Her eyes widened a little when Spike opened the door wider, revealing a smirking Dru. “Oh. I can come back.” He tried to read her expression, wondering if she was hurt or angry. All he wanted to do was explain.

“Won’t be necessary, pet. Dru was just leaving.”

“Think about what I said, William,” she purred, walking out the door, casting one last disapproving glance at Buffy. When Dru was gone, Buffy stepped inside awkwardly and handed Spike the little sack from the pharmacy.

“So, what’d she want?”

“Wanted to return some of my things. Told her I didn’t want them.”

“That’s all?”

“No, that’s not all.” He sat down next to her on the couch. “Think she’s lost a few more marbles since we spoke last.” He opened the pill bottle, took a couple aspirin in his hand and swallowed them quickly. “Wants us to break up, she does.”

“Of course she does,” Buffy muttered.

“She also said that I don’t feel the things I felt with her when I’m with you.” He saw Buffy’s breath hitch.

“What…what’d you tell her?”

“I told her she was right.”

“Oh.”

“No…not in a bad way, luv,” he assured her with a little smile. “I told her that I don’t feel sick every time I look at you.”

“I bet she loved that.”

“Not really,” he chuckled. “But I think I’ve gotten her off our backs. Don’t think she’ll be bothering us anymore.”

“Oh yeah? Then what was with the ‘think about what I said, William?’”

“Don’t worry about Dru, luv. She’s as crazy as crazy as a loon, but she’s not dangerous.”

“She’s a jealous teen girl. You know, many people underestimate us,” Buffy said with a slight smile. “You feeling any better?”

“Not yet.”

“I can leave you alone for a while.”

“That’d just make it worse,” he admitted. Buffy smiled, and she nodded.

“Alright. I’ll stay. But you’re not getting out of dinner with my mother tonight.”

“Didn’t think so,” he whispered, leaning back on the couch. Buffy stood up and bent down to kiss him softly. “I’ll go make something for lunch.” Spike cocked his eyebrow at her. “Shut up. I make awesome mac and cheese, and you know it.” She stuck her tongue out him, and before she flounced off to his little kitchen, she gave him a wink, and he smiled, grateful to have such an amazing woman in his life.

***

Buffy had fallen asleep on Spike’s bed, but when she heard the low murmur of his voice a few hours later, she got up and walked into the living room. Spike was just putting his cell phone down on the coffee table.

“Spike?”

“Hey,” she said with a half-smile. “Headache went away.”

“I’m glad,” she nodded. “Who was that?”

“That? That was Oz.”

“Oh,” Buffy said slowly, furrowing her brows. “What’d he want?”

“He was complaining about the auditions. Apparently the potential lead singers are turning out to have the star quality of the likes of those on The Best of the Worst of American Idol.”

“Oh,” Buffy giggled. “Sounds pretty bad.”

“Yeah. He asked if I wanted the job.” He turned to look at her, seeing her eyebrows shoot up. “I told him no, though, so it’s nothing to…”

“Why’d you tell him no?”

“I’m not a singer, Buffy,” Spike chuckled.

“Well, you were a pretty damn good one last night.” She watched as he got up to cross the room toward her. She gently placed her hand on the side of his face, examining his black eye. “Swelling’s gone down some, but you’re definitely gonna have a shiner Monday morning.”

“Lovely,” he muttered. “Anyway, the singing thing…I don’t think that’s such a good idea.”

“I saw you up there. You were having fun.”

“Yeah,” he said with a shrug, “but that was different. I was singing to you.” He watched her lips quirk up in a smile, and he moved his hands to her hips, bringing her closer.

“I love the way you sing. A lot of people did, actually.”

“Yeah?”

“Yeah. I thought some of those girls were gonna rush the stage.”

“You’re yanking my chain, Summers.”

“Nope. Not even a little bit.” She leaned in to kiss him. “I don’t think it’d be such a bad idea. Your dad still hasn’t made up his mind on how much he’s gonna give you to help you out when you start school. The way Oz talks, depending on the night, they can pick up a lot of cash at their gigs.”

“You really want me to do this, luv?”

“I don’t want you to do anything you don’t want to, but I know you like to sing. You don’t do it that much, but I know you do. I just think it might be nice for you to have some money saved up in case your dad flakes or something, you know?” She watched as the wheels began to turn in his head.

“Don’t think it’s something I’d wanna do forever.”

“No,” Buffy said softly, “but Oz is planning on going to school here in Sunnydale too, so it’s not like you’d be traveling out of town very much. You know, parties, other things like that. And I could be your groupie.” She watched him smirk at that.

“Yeah?”

“Uh huh. You know, I’d get naked and wait for you in your dressing room.”

“Yeah, because Dingoes Ate My Baby is dressing room material,” he chuckled. “More like, ‘you can get ready in the bathroom. Hope you don’t mind passing out fresh towels while you’re putting on your eyeliner.” Buffy giggled at that.

“It’s ok. There’s a lot of part time stuff around here. It was just a thought.” She stood on her tiptoes to kiss him. “I can always make you sing to me in private.”

“If the response is as good as it was last night, I’ll sing for you anytime, baby.”

“Baby?” she giggled. “I think I like ‘pet’ and ‘luv’ better.”

“C’mere,” he growled, as she wriggled out of his grasp.

“No! We can’t! You’re injured.”

“Not all of me is.”

“How can we be sure?” she asked, blocking the doorway to his bedroom as he stared at her like a starving animal.

“Guess I’ll just have to prove it to you,” he breathed before pouncing and tackling her to the bed, an act that was immediately followed by her squeals, quickly deafened by his kiss.


Chapter End Notes:
I heart feedback! Leave me some, please! :)