Chapter 28

“How far along are you, dear?” a little blue-haired lady asked, as she reached across the checkout counter to pat Buffy’s blossoming belly. Buffy sighed. That was the sixteenth person to do that today.

“Six months,” she said with a forced smile.

“Oh my! You look like you’re ready to go at any minute.”

“Yeah,” she mumbled. That was the tenth person who’d told her that today. “Here’s your change.” The little old lady took her receipt and the few dollar bills and went on her merry little way. Buffy frowned and turned off her light, closed up her lane and headed up to her boss’ office. “I’m heading home, Ben.”

“Okay. See you tomorrow, Buffy.”

“Yeah,” she said with a half-hearted smile. On her way out the door, she muttered to herself, “and the day after that. And the day after that…and the day after that.”

Her face lit up when she saw Spike’s Desoto parked outside. He flashed the lights at her, and she smiled, waving at him.

When Buffy slid into the car, Spike greeted her with a loving kiss.

“Hey, pet. How was work?”

“Dull,” she said with a sigh. “Everybody keeps touching my stomach. And, apparently I’m really fat.”

“You’re not fat, kitten. You’re pregnant.” He reached over and placed his hand on her stomach, knowing that Buffy wouldn’t get angry at him for it. “How’s the champ doing?” Buffy smiled a little.

“Fine,” she chuckled. When the baby had started kicking a lot, Spike had started calling it Rocky, because apparently it was going to be a boxer, but when Buffy forbade him to call her child, which had a fifty percent chance of coming out as a girl, Rocky, he’d settled for champ. “How was your night?”

“Got another song recorded. Ethan thinks it’ll be ready by the time school’s out.” Buffy nodded.

“Spike?”

“Yeah?”

“What about school? I mean, you haven’t really said much more about going to UC Sunnydale, and I…”

“I dunno,” he murmured, pulling out onto the highway.

“Oz and Jesse are gonna go, so…”

“I don’t know, Buffy,” Spike explained. “If I go to school and work with the band with this record, I’m never gonna be home. I want to spend time with you and with the baby, and somebody’s gotta watch the baby when you’re in class.”

“Yeah,” Buffy said quietly, “but what about your education? I mean, it’s great that you’re doing this with the band, but what if…” She suddenly grew quiet, and Spike glanced at her curiously before turning his attention back to the road.

“What if we don’t make it? What if the album doesn’t sell, and we’re out on our asses?”

“Spike…”

“You don’t think we can make it, do you?”

“That’s not what I said. I just think it’s important that we both have good educations.” She watched him swallow hard and immediately felt bad. “Spike, I love you. I love what you’re doing for our family, but I don’t want you to sacrifice school…”

“Then what am I gonna sacrifice, Buffy? I can’t sacrifice you and the baby. You’re my life. You’re the reason I’m even in the sodding band. If I quit the band, I can’t support you. I can’t save up money to even put toward an education someday.”

Buffy looked down at her hands that were folded in her lap.

“You don’t want to be in the band anymore?”

“I didn’t say that,” he groaned, wishing they could not argue right now. They argued quite a bit lately, but they never went to bed angry. Still, the arguments were coming more frequently, and Spike knew that with the stress of the baby coming in three months pressing on both of them, the arguments were probably going to get worse.

He had qualified for student loans, and all he had to do was sign up for classes for the fall. Buffy had been wanting him to sign up just for the sake of it, but he had been so busy recording and doing gigs with the band that it was getting more and more difficult for him to even think about school, especially with Buffy’s frequent trips to the doctor and the fact that they were helping out with Dawn as much as they could when Hank had his meetings in L.A. or had to hold conferences calls at home.

“I don’t know what to do, Buffy. You wanted me to join the band, you want me to go to school, you thought this record deal would be great. But I’m not here enough, and I know you hate that. I don’t know what to do, luv. I just…” He sighed and hit the dashboard in frustration. Buffy blinked back her tears.

“I’m sorry,” she whispered. “I don’t…I don’t want to be the reason you’re unhappy.” Spike pulled the car over and looked at her as if she’d grown an extra nose or something.

“Are you mad, woman? You’re the only thing in this sodding world that makes me happy. Don’t you know that by now? You’ve always been the only thing that could make me smile when the rest of the world is falling to hell around me.” He shook his head. “You make me happy, Buffy. And I want to make you happy, but I don’t know how to do that if I can’t do the things you expect me to do.”

“I don’t expect you to do anything,” she argued, taking his hand. “I’m sorry. I’m scared, Spike. I’m afraid of what’s going to happen when this baby gets here. I want us to raise him together, but I know that we both have futures to make for ourselves as well as for our family, and that’s going to mean you leaving me…”

“I’d never leave you.”

“That’s not what I meant.” She shook her head. “I guess I never realized how huge this music thing was going to turn out to be, not even when Ethan decided to produce your album.” She closed her eyes. “I love you. I want you to do what you want to do. If you don’t want to go to school, then don’t go. If this music thing is what you want to pursue, then please, do it. Just don’t…don’t do anything because of me. Do what you have to do for yourself. Me and the baby? We’re not going anywhere, ok? I’m gonna stand by whatever you choose, Spike, because we’re in this together, and I want you to be happy.”

Spike leaned in and kissed Buffy softly, silently thanking her for being so amazing. When he pulled back, he cleared his throat and veered back out onto the road, heading for home with a lot on his mind.

***

Buffy bent over at her locker to pick up something she’d dropped. As she bent over to pick it up, a loud giggle erupted from nearby. She stood up and turned around to see Harmony and Dru standing nearby with a bunch of girls.

Rolling her eyes, Buffy decided to ignore them, until one of the jocks came sauntering over to her.

“Hey Summers,” he said with a bright, white smile, leaning against the locker next to hers.

“Hi,” she said quietly.

“I’m Nick O’Neill.”

“Yeah, I know.”

“So, I was wondering,” he said, barely able to keep a straight face, “are you still seeing that singer guy?”

“Yeah. Spike and I are dating,” she replied, closing her locker and holding her books to her chest.

“Well, if you guys break up, give me a call, ok? After you have your kid and lose the weight, of course.”

“Fuck off, Nick,” Buffy grumbled.

“Oh, I bet you say that to all the guys.” It was at that moment that Parker came walking over. Buffy pushed past Nick, but Parker blocked the way.

“Come on now, Buffy,” he breathed, “he just wants to know what the fuss is about. Spike’s got nothing but good things to say about you in the locker room after gym, if you know what I mean.”

“No, I don’t know what you mean, Parker,” Buffy murmured, “but if you’d like a reminder of what he did to you last time you acted like a prick, I can go find him and ask him to repeat it.” Parker’s face went pale. “Exactly what I thought. I know Spike wouldn’t tell you a fucking thing, because you’re an asshole. So get out of my way.”

“Such language coming from the little mother,” Nick laughed. “Bet she said that to you when you were fucking her, huh Abrams?” Parker sneered down at Buffy, and she felt the urge to throw up. For once, she prayed for morning sickness so she could ruin those hundred dollar pair of shoes on his feet.

“You’re such a dick, Parker,” Buffy grumbled, walking away from the two guys. Parker was the only one that followed. “I never slept with you.”

“The rest of the school doesn’t believe that, so…”

“I don’t care what they think.”

“You don’t? Somebody does. Your little boyfriend…”

“My boyfriend beat the hell out of you the last time you started lying. Are you really that stupid? You don’t learn, Parker. I guess you and Angel were best friends for a reason. You’re both scum.” She turned and tried to walk away, but he pushed her back against a row of lockers. The halls were emptying out now, as it was almost time for the bell to ring. “Back off. When Spike…”

“Well I don’t see him around right now, do you? And he’s not gonna touch me unless he wants to get suspended again. I bet Snyder would find a way to expel him, maybe even make him take summer school instead of graduating.”

“Get away from me,” Buffy warned, as Parker’s hand moved to her hip.

“Come on, Buffy. You need a real man.”

“Hey buddy.” Parker felt a tap on his shoulder. Sighing, he turned around to see Xander Harris standing there.

“Beat it, Harris. I’m in the middle of something.”

“I don’t think Buffy wants to be in the middle of it, so why don’t you leave her alone?” Parker smirked and pushed Xander back.

“I think you should just mind your own business.” Buffy took the opportunity to move away from the lockers. Xander moved over toward her and held a hand up.

“You come any closer, and…”

“And what, Harris? You’ll let me hit you and then run away crying?”

“Go ahead. You’re such a big man with all your threats. Hit me. Then we’ll see who’ll be talking to Snyder.” Parker finally nodded and backed off.

“We’re not done, sweetheart,” he said, licking his lips and smiling at Buffy.

“Stay away from me, or next time, I’ll be the one that beats the crap out of you, you jackass.” Parker just winked at her and turned away. Xander turned to his friend and eyed her.

“You ok?”

“Yeah,” she muttered, running her fingers through her hair. “I know guys can be assholes, but Parker is so way beyond…”

“Parker’s just acting like an even bigger jerk, because his best buddy Angel’s behind bars.”

“Rightfully so,” Buffy replied. “He doesn’t even care, Xander. He doesn’t care that his stupid friend is the reason my mom…”

“He’s an idiot, ok? He always has been, and I’m pretty sure he’ll still be that way twenty years from now. Just don’t let him get to you. You don’t need that right now.”

“Yeah, I know. But next time, I’ll knock his lights out myself.” She glowered at Parker, who was halfway down the hall now, and she turned back in the direction of her class room.

“Where’s Spike?”

“He cut out early. He’s working on the album with Oz and Jesse.”

“Ok. Me and Cordy’ll give you a ride home today, ok? I just don’t want those guys harassing you…I’ll feel better if we take you.”

“Thanks, Xander.” She gave him a little hug. “I’ve gotta get to class.”

“Me too. Later, Buff.”

“Bye.” She waved at him and headed off to class, her heart pounding wildly in her chest. She placed her hands on her belly and closed her eyes, taking a deep breath. Just a few more months, she told herself, and she would be out of Sunnyhell High forever.


Chapter End Notes:
Feedback? Please? Pretty please, with a cherry on top?