Chapter 31

“I’m so proud of you, sweetheart,” Hank beamed, hugging his daughter as soon as they left the high school premises. “You looked beautiful up there.”

“Thanks, Dad,” Buffy smiled, taking off her cap and holding it under her arm. Dawn swiftly swiped it and put it on her own head.

“How’s it feel to be a graduate?” her dad wondered.

“Pretty much the same as it felt to be a non-graduate, but I’m sure it’ll sink in Monday when I don’t have to go to school.” She grinned and looked over Hank’s shoulder to see Spike coming their way. He’d held back a few minutes to talk to Oz and Jesse about playing at the big party at The Bronze tonight.

“There he is,” Buffy said with a smile. “You look so handsome in that cap and gown.” She hurried over and hugged him.

“You look amazing, pet,” he insisted, kissing her softly.

“Ew,” Dawn giggled. “Look! I graduated too!” They turned to her, and she made a face at him. Buffy laughed and took her cap back.

“Get in the car, Dawnie. I’ve gotta go home and rest. This baby’s not gonna be up for The Bronze tonight if I don’t get any rest.” They all piled into Hank’s car and headed off toward home.

“You’re sure you’re up for a party tonight, Buffy?” Hank wondered. “The baby’s due next month, and…”

“I’m only staying for a few minutes. I just wanna make an appearance. It’s the last time I’m ever going to see some of these people, and…well, that’s kind of a good thing, but I wanna go anyway.” She placed her hands on her stomach. “Besides, when my baby’s my age someday and asks me what I did the day I graduated school, I don’t want to tell them I went home, changed into something hideous but comfortable and sat around with my feet up all day because I was eight months pregnant.”

“I think your dad’s right, luv. The doctor did say to stay off your feet as much as possible.” Buffy had quit her crappy grocery store job three days ago on account of that.

“Look, I know my limits,” Buffy insisted. “I want to go, say hi to my friends and leave. I’ll be in and out in five minutes, tops. I’ll stay to see you guys do a song, and then I’ll catch a ride home with Cordelia.”

“What makes you think she’ll wanna leave?”

“I can pull the poor, pregnant friend card, and she’ll have to,” Buffy replied with a devious grin. “Besides, I need to use that card while I can. In about a month, I’ll just be the girl who had a baby but nobody feels compelled to do things for anymore.”

“But you’ll be somebody’s mom,” Hank pointed out. “Being a parent is scary, but it’s one of the most rewarding things you’ll ever do.” He glanced in the mirror to see his oldest daughter smile at him. “Once that baby’s here, you won’t care about anything else but making the best life possible for it. You’ll see…not too much longer.”

***

“Have you seen Cordelia?” Buffy asked Willow as she found her at a table with Xander.

“She’s running late,” Xander explained. “She’ll be here in a few minutes. You’re leaving?”

“I’m supposed to go home and rest,” Buffy pointed out. “Xander, can you give me a ride?”

“No can do, Buffster. I caught a ride with Oz and Wil.” Buffy frowned and nodded, glancing up at the stage, where Spike was playing his guitar for the first time in front of the crowd.

“You have to leave right now?” Willow wondered.

“I guess not. I can sit. That’ll be ok.” She pulled up a chair next to her friends. Xander narrowed his eyes at her.

“You don’t look so good, Buff. Are you feeling ok?”

“I’m just tired. If you were a girl, I’d tell you to wait until you’re eight months pregnant and see how you feel, but since that’s not going to happen, just take my word for it.” Xander raised an eyebrow but said nothing. The three turned their attention to the stage and watched happily as the band continued their set.

***

About halfway through the set, Cordelia arrived, and Buffy waved her over.

“Hey! Sorry I’m late. My parents took me out to dinner, and…”

“And I wasn’t invited?” Xander asked. “I know your dad hates me, but I’m your boyfriend. You’d think this is the kind of thing I’d be invited to.”

“Trust me,” Cordelia assured him, “you should be glad you weren’t there.”

“Cordelia,” Buffy spoke up, “I know you just got here, but do you think you can take me home? I promised Spike that I’d leave after one song, but I’m still here, and he looks kinda worried.”

“Oh…sure. Sure. Xander, save me a dance, ok?”

“Sure thing.” Xander grinned at her, and Buffy moved to get up.

“I’ll ride with you,” Willow offered. Buffy smiled and nodded at her friend, and they started toward the doors.

“Wait!” Buffy exclaimed.

“What?!” Cordelia and Willow asked at the same time, frantic looks playing across their faces.

“Um…I just have to use the bathroom first.”

“Oh,” Willow breathed. “Oh, okay. Yeah.” They made their way through the crowd toward the back hallway. Buffy ducked into the bathroom, and Willow and Cordelia waited outside.

“Is she ok?” Cordelia hissed, loud enough for Willow to hear over the crowd but quiet enough that Buffy probably couldn’t hear from the bathroom.

“I think she’s just tired. It’s been an exciting day with the graduating and everything. She was so afraid she was gonna trip on the stage or something. I think she’s just ready to go home and crash.”

“Oh my God!” Cordelia and Willow looked at each other, wide-eyed at the sound of their friend’s scream.

“Buffy?” Willow called in.

“Oh God!” Buffy came out of the bathroom, eyes widened in fright.

“What happened?!” Cordelia asked frantically.

“I…I don’t know. I think…I was…my water…um…”

“Oh God,” Willow breathed.

“Oh God what?” Cordelia asked, obviously still perplexed.

“Buffy? Did your water break?”

“I don’t know…I think…I’m not sure. I was in there…doing that…but I don’t…”

“Ok,” Willow assured her, trying to stay calm, “Cordelia, take Buffy to the car. We’re going to take her to the hospital now.”

“What?!”

“Buffy’s water might have broken, and I think that means the baby’s coming.”

“Holy crap!” Cordelia exclaimed. “Ok. Come on, let’s…oh my God!”

“I’m the one that’s supposed to be oh-my-God-ing here!” Buffy exclaimed. She grabbed Willow’s arm. “Get Spike!” Willow nodded quickly, and she motioned for Cordelia to get Buffy out of there.

“Cordelia, call Buffy’s dad and tell him to get to the hospital!” Willow hollered over her shoulder.

“Oh…ok! What’s his number?”

“Just take my phone,” Buffy urged, shoving her purse at Cordelia as the two hurried out of the club together.

Willow rushed through the crowd, swallowed hard and not even thinking about it when she rushed up onto the stage. Spike’s eyes widened when he spotted his red-headed friend. The music stopped, and the crowd booed, but Willow hurried over to Spike anyway, whispering in his ear.

“What?” he asked, leaning in closer.

“Buffy! We’re taking her to the hospital!”

“What?! Bloody hell!” He turned back to the crowd, and everyone was gawking at him, waiting for more music. “Um, there’s been a change in plans. Devon? Devon, are you in the crowd?”

Devon came walking up to the stage, drink in hand. Spike knelt down to his level.

“You ok to play tonight?”

“Sure, man. What’s up?”

“Thank the bloody gods,” he murmured. Standing again, he slid his guitar strap off of his shoulder and handed the guitar over to Oz, who put it down.

“Devon’s going to be taking my place this evening. I’ve got a baby on the way and a girlfriend who’ll have my head if I don’t get going right the hell now.” A few cheers floated up from the crowd, but most everyone else was too confused to understand what was going on.

Spike rushed off the stage, Willow called to Oz, telling him to meet her at the hospital after the party and she hurried off with Spike, eager to get Buffy out of there and into the best possible care.

***

“Spike!” Buffy cried out, the moment he slid into the back of Cordelia’s car with her.

“Oh, baby, I’m here,” he assured her, taking her hand and scooting in close. Willow scooted in with him, as Xander was in the passenger’s seat.

“Is everybody who’s coming here?” Cordelia asked, panicking.

“Yeah. Go, Cordy,” Willow urged, slamming the car door. Cordelia hit the gas and peeled out of the parking lot.

“Cordelia, slow down! I want to live to see my baby born!” Buffy exclaimed.

“Well, I don’t want you having it in my car!”

“Just focus on the road, Cordelia,” Spike broke in. “Just get us there, alright?”

“My dad’s coming. You called, right?” Buffy asked.

“Yeah, I called,” Cordelia promised. “He’s on his way. He’s probably gonna beat us there.”

Hearing those words helped Buffy relax a little, and she leaned against the car seat, closing her eyes.

“Hey,” Spike whispered, stroking her cheek. She opened her big, sparkling eyes and looked at him, worry creasing her brow. “We’re having a baby, luv.” His hand moved to her belly, and she placed hers over his and smiled.

“Yeah,” she murmured. “I can’t believe it.” She swallowed hard. “It’s too early. He’s not due for another…”

“It’s alright, luv. The doctor said this might happen. Said it would be ok, remember?”

“I know, but…”

“Shh,” he assured her. “It’s ok, pet. Everything’s gonna be alright.” He told her that a lot, but this time, it was going to take a lot of strength to make himself believe it too.

***

An hour later, Buffy was finally in a room and hooked up to a fetal monitor. The baby’s heart was strong and steady, and Buffy’s nerves were just about shot. The doctor had examined her, and she’d been surprised that Buffy’s water had in fact broken. She’d assured Buffy that the baby should be perfectly healthy for delivery, but she’d hooked her up to different medications that Buffy wasn’t even certain of the names.

But, she was in labor, and she was lying in the hospital bed with Spike sitting next to her and her friends standing around the bed. Hank was holding a sleeping Dawn in his arms and leaning against the wall.

“You guys, you really don’t have to stay. It’s late, and the baby probably won’t be here until sometime tomorrow.”

“We’re staying, Buffy,” Xander replied. “It’s not like we’ve got school tomorrow. We can stay in the waiting room. Free coffee.” Buffy smiled a little.

“You really don’t have to, you know?”

“But we are,” Willow insisted. She looked at her watch. “Oz’ll be here soon. I’m gonna go wait for him so he doesn’t get lost on his way up.”

“’Kay,” Buffy murmured, waving as her friend walked out. She looked back at Xander and Cordelia. “You guys, go get some rest. It’s gonna be a long night.”

“Does it hurt?” Cordelia wondered.

“Cordy,” Xander warned.

“What? It’s just a question.”

“It doesn’t hurt right now. I’m just nervous. The contractions haven’t been too bad yet.” She swallowed hard. “God, it’s gonna hurt really bad, isn’t it?” It was then that she wished that her mother were there with her. Her mother had known what it was like, and despite the fact that she would have known it would be painful, she’d have done everything she could to assure her daughter that the pain would be gone the instant the baby arrived.

“Come on,” Xander said softly, taking his girlfriend’s hand. He looked at Buffy. “We’ll see you in a bit, Buff, ok?”

“Yeah. Thanks for being here, guys.” She smiled as they left the room, and Spike took her hand.

“You’re sure you’re feeling ok?”

“Yeah. Just scared. Really scared. It’s early.”

“Yeah,” he nodded, “but you heard the doc. Baby’s gonna be just fine.” Of course, nothing was going to be certain until the baby was actually born, and even then…

“We don’t have anything, Spike,” she whimpered. “No crib. Nothing. The baby shower was supposed to be…”

“So we’ll have the shower after the baby gets home. Should be alright. Bet you’ll get even more stuff for the kid when there’s actually a baby the ladies can coddle.” Buffy giggled at that.

“You have a point.” She swallowed hard. “And I guess this’ll be a good. At least they’ll know whether or not to buy pink or blue, huh?” Spike chuckled and smoothed her hair back, kissing her forehead.

“That’s right, luv.” He sighed softly and sat back in his chair. “Close your eyes and try to get some rest. We’ve got a big day ahead of us, yeah?”

“Yeah,” she smiled. “A very big day.” She looked over at her dad. “You should take Dawn home. She shouldn’t have to spend the night in the hospital.”

“Are you kidding me? My first grandchild is being born, and…”

“Dad, I don’t think it’s gonna happen soon. You don’t have to stay.” She really wanted him to, honestly. She felt very helpless right now, and as a child, her father had always made her feel safe. Just knowing that he was near made her feel a little better.

“I want to stay, sweetheart,” Hank whispered, moving closer to the bed, holding tightly to Dawn. “I was there to see you brought into the world. I want to be here when my little girl has her first baby.” Buffy sighed and nodded, smiling a little.

“Ok. But if she wakes up and wants to go home, promise me you’ll take her home?”

“Alright, hon,” he agreed with a nod. “I’m gonna go find a cozy waiting room and let you get some rest. Spike? Walk with me?” Spike looked at Buffy, not really wanting to leave her, but she gave him an encouraging nod.

“Sure,” he agreed. Buffy sighed and smiled, watching as the two most important men in her life headed out of the room with her little sister. She stroked her belly and wondered if by this time tomorrow, she’d have a new man in her life or if she’d have the little girl she’d often dreamed about when she was a little girl herself. Either way, she couldn’t wait to hold him or her and hopefully see an equal mix of both parents. This baby was a symbol of its parents love, and she hoped that for its entire life, her child could look upon their marriage as she’d once looked at her parents’.

***

“This looks like a good spot,” Hank whispered, placing Dawn down in a double seat so she could sprawl out. He took off his jacket and draped it over her before turning toward Spike.

“Mr. Summers?”

“Since the minute she was born, Buffy was always my little girl.” He shook his head. “I never wanted to see her in any kind of pain, and then, last year, I moved out, and I realized that was the worst thing I ever could have done to her.” Spike swallowed hard, listening to Hank’s declaration. “I wish I could take back what I did, but if I took everything back, Dawn wouldn’t be here, and she and Buffy are the two best things I ever accomplished with my life.”

Spike and Hank slowly sat down across from where Dawn slept.

“When Buffy told me she was pregnant,” Spike said quietly, “I was so scared, but with everything she was going through right then, and everything I went through with my dad, I knew that the worst thing I could do would be to show her that I was even more scared than she was.”

“I should have been there,” Hank said quietly. “I handled moving out all wrong. I should have…I don’t know what I was thinking. All I know is that I’m glad she had you and her mother when she found out. I just…when I heard my seventeen year old daughter was having a baby, I thought that I’d failed her or…or that it was my fault, because I left, and she needed comfort.” He cleared his throat. “But I can see that you love her very much, and I see that she loves you just as much. I’m grateful for that. And I hope to God you hold onto what you’ve got, because when you lose it, you’ll never get it back the way it was. Not exactly.”

“No need to worry about me, Mr. Summers. I’m not going anywhere.” Hank nodded and patted Spike’s shoulder.

“My daughter’s lucky to have you.”

Spike smiled a little at that. “No. I’m the lucky one.”


Chapter End Notes:
Thanks again for the outpouring of support and feedback on this story! Please keep it coming!