Author's Chapter Notes:
Just so you know, I'm loving all of your comments on the story! I haven't replied to some of them yet, because my computer is being super slow and having issues with the browser, but I will reply to them all as soon as I can! I appreciate each and every one of them!
Chapter 9

“Morning, honey,” Joyce said with a bright smile, making her way into the kitchen. Buffy smiled at her mother’s sunny disposition this morning. “I was thinking of going to the salon today and getting my hair cut. Wanna come along?”

“Um, actually, I already kind’ve made plans with Spike.”

“Oh, alright. Have a good time.” Joyce smiled at her daughter and opened the refrigerator, retrieving the carton of orange juice. “Did you and the girls have fun last night?”

“Yeah. Uh, Oz asked Willow out.”

“Oh, that’s wonderful,” Joyce said quietly. “I’m glad for her. She’s such a sweet girl.”

“Yeah. Wil’s great.” Buffy eyed her mother. “You’re in a good mood this morning.”

“You know, I was thinking the same thing about you. You’re all smiles.”

“I am?” Buffy brought her hand to her face, and Joyce chuckled.

“Did you meet a boy last night?”

“Huh?”

“Oh, you can’t tell me girl’s night is just about hanging out with the girls. I know it involves checking out the guys, right?”

“Mom…”

“I was young once too, sweetheart. I do know about these things.”

“Yeah, well, I prefer to think of my mother as never having done those things. In fact, I think it’d be better for everyone if I just assumed that I was immaculately conceived…or something like that.” Buffy shuddered at the thought of her parents ever having sex.

“Just wait. When you’re my age, you might have a daughter saying those very same things to you. It’s much different when you’re a mother.” Joyce eyed her daughter. “Which I hope will be a very, very long time from now.”

“Um…yeah, Mom,” Buffy said awkwardly. Joyce sipped on her orange juice, and Buffy cleared her throat, drumming her fingers on the countertop. “Mom?”

“Hmm?”

“What if I told you there…there is a guy.”

“There is? I knew it!” Buffy couldn’t help but laugh at how her mother seemed so much like a teenager when it came to gossip like this.

“I’m just saying…hypothetically.”

“Hypothetically? Well, if it was true, I’d be very happy for you, but I’d warn you to be smart, and of course to not do anything I wouldn’t do.” Buffy rolled her eyes at that.

“Really, Mom? And what were you doing when you were almost eighteen?” Joyce’s eyes widened.

“Well, I was going to school and doing my homework like a good student.”

“Uh huh,” Buffy muttered.

“Well, I was.”

“I’m sure that’s not all, Mom. After all, you and Dad met around that time, and…”

“And we were smart. We were careful. Buffy, are you being careful?”

“Mom! I said ‘hypothetically!’”

“I know, but I know what that means. Is he good to you?”

Buffy sighed, nodding. “Yeah, Mom. He’s great.”

“Do I know him?”

“You’ve…you’ve seen him around. He’s really great.”

“Great? That’s all I get?”

“He’s good to me, Mom. It’s kind’ve new, but it’s…”

“Exciting?”

“Yeah,” Buffy grinned. “I’ve never felt like this before, you know? I just want to spend all my time with him, and…”

“But I thought you were spending all of your time with Spike lately.” At Buffy’s startled glance, Joyce’s eyes widened in realization. “Oh.”

“Mom?”

“You and Spike are…you and Spike?”

“Mom, it’s…well…I didn’t plan on telling you this way, but yeah, Spike and I are…we’re together.” Joyce nodded slowly and furrowed her eyebrows.

“For how long?”

“A…about a week. Really. We just decided that we both cared about each other, and…and we decided to give it a try. Mom, it’s really just…it’s been so nice.”

“Well, the two of you have been inseparable since we moved in, so I would imagine it’s very…familiar.” Joyce swallowed hard. “But honey, you have college next year, and…you’ll meet new people. Have you thought about what might happen if the two of you decide that being a couple doesn’t work out? You know that could hurt your friendship.”

“Mom, believe me,” Buffy explained, holding up a hand, “we’ve thought about it, a lot, and we decided that it’s better this way. Spike and I are too good of friends to let anything hurt that. Even if it didn’t work out…we’re not getting rid of each other.”

“You sound very…grown up about all of this.”

“Well, we’re trying to be, you know?”

“You certainly waited a long time. I could see it at least a year ago. The two of you…I was wondering when you’d finally open your eyes and realize that you liked each other.”

“Mom!”

“Well, I did. I didn’t want to meddle, because you’d have just rolled your eyes and said ‘oh, Mom,’ so I butted out.”

“Well, thanks. That was nice of you,” Buffy laughed. “But really, Spike and I are happy. He makes me happy.” Joyce nodded. “Please don’t freak out, Mom.”

“I’m not freaking out. I’m just…a little concerned now. Spike has his own apartment, and…”

“And he brings me home every night, and I sleep in my own bed. We’ve only been dating a week, Mom.”

“Ok, but now you know I’m going to worry.”

“Don’t, ok?”

“Just…Buffy, if you’re having sex with him…well, don’t tell me the specifics, please. Just…tell me you’re being safe.” Buffy didn’t know how to react. If she said yes, then her mother would know she was having sex, and if she refused to answer, her mother would know. All she could do was try and swallow to wet her suddenly dry throat, and she gave a miserable little nod.

She could practically see the wheels in her mother’s head turning. She was trying to figure out if her daughter was being sexually active, but at least she knew that if Buffy was having sex, she was being careful.

“Ok, well, I don’t know if…if that means you’re…having sex, but I do know that I think it’s best if we go to the doctor and get you on birth control…just in case.”

“Oh…ok,” Buffy said slowly. Joyce came over and placed her hands on her daughter’s shoulders, looking right into her eyes.

“You know I love you, right?”

“I love you too, Mom.”

“I just want you to know that. I want you to know you can talk to me about anything.” She brought Buffy into a hug, and Buffy hugged back, closing her eyes.

“I know, Mom. Thanks.” And then the doorbell sounded. They broke apart, and Buffy skirted over to the doorway. “That’s Spike. Um…I can have him come in. It might be kinda funny to see him freak out.”

“That’s ok, sweetheart,” Joyce said softly. “Bring him by for dinner. You two have fun today.” Buffy nodded and turned. “Oh! But not too much…I mean, I’m not saying you should…”

“Mom! I get it,” Buffy stammered awkwardly. Joyce winced and nodded.

“Sorry, I know. I’m backing off. Just…well, you’re a smart girl. You’ve always had a level head.” Was she saying this more to convince herself or to try to guilt Buffy into not having sex? Either way, Buffy wasn’t certain, but she gave her mom a little wave and headed out to greet Spike and start their day together.

***

“She knows?” he asked, as they drove down the street.

“She kinda figured it out. What was I supposed to do? Lie to her? That’d just make things more difficult later on down the line when she found out the truth.”

“How’d she take it.”

“Ok. She’s just afraid of…well, she’s just worried that we’re not being…safe. She’s putting me on birth control.” Spike eyed her. “I didn’t tell her we were having sex, but I think she kind’ve knows. I think she gets it.”

“Bloody hell. And she wants to have dinner tonight? At your house?”

“Yeah? But it’s ok, though. Mom loves you. I mean she said you’re like a son to her, remember?”

“Yeah, only I’m shagging her one and only daughter.”

“Well, let’s just not talk about the…shagging part, and we’ll be golden, ok?”

“Yeah,” Spike muttered. Buffy smiled a little and placed her hand on his tight. He placed his hand over hers, and their fingers curled together. “So where are we going, anyway?”

“You’ll see.”

“Oh, it’s a surprise, hmm?”

“Yep.”

“Well, we’ve already passed your road, and I know we’re not going to school, so…”

“You do know the meaning of the word ‘surprise’ don’t you?”

“Fine,” Buffy mumbled, slumping back in her seat. Spike chuckled, curling his tongue behind his teeth, a thing that he seemed to do more often these days; a thing that made her want to tear off her clothes and lay down at his mercy, begging him to do whatever the hell he wanted with that beautiful, beautiful mouth of his.

Soon enough, they were pulling up into the shaded area of the city park. Buffy’s eyes widened in surprise, and she glanced at Spike.

“Remember what happened the first time we came here?”

“Yeah,” Buffy laughed. “How could I forget? You thought it’d be a great idea to feed the ducks, and I’m the one that got bit by one.”

“Sorry about that, pet. Truly.”

“Yeah, well, I hope you don’t have that planned today, because I can think of other things I’d much rather be doing.”

“Women,” he muffled. “You try and do something nice…” She knew he was kidding, and she laughed when he moved across the seat to attack her mouth with soft kisses. “Love this mouth.”

“Mmm,” she murmured. “Me too. Yours, I mean.” He chuckled against her lips and pulled back.

He gathered a few things out of the back seat, and then they were off, looking for a perfect spot. Judging by the basket and the blanket Spike carried, they were going to have a picnic. Not exactly something teenagers did together often these days, but it was a sweet gesture. Buffy didn’t really care about the food in the basket, but she certainly cared about the hunk of man that just happened to be her boyfriend.

They found a spot just underneath a large tree, and Spike spread the blanket out. They settled down in the shade, and Buffy looked around. It was completely silent, save for the sound of water lapping against rocks somewhere nearby.

“Where is everyone?”

“Picked a good place, didn’t I?” He looked up at the tree, and Buffy followed his gaze. It was then that something familiar struck her attention.

“Oh my God!” she squealed. “How did you remember?” She stood, and Spike stood next to her. Buffy traced her finger along the jagged, carved letters. They’d rode their bikes to this very spot as kids, and Spike, having stolen his father’s pocket knife, had decided to make a pact with Buffy. They’d become blood brothers, or something of the sort, something their parents had been very upset about, resulting in long lectures about how dangerous and unsanitary that was. But, with the same knife they’d used to cut the tiniest of cuts on each other’s thumbs in order to mix their blood, Spike had carved:

S + B = BFF

“Best friends forever,” Buffy whispered, closing her eyes and thinking back to then. “I’m surprised you remembered.”

“Same day the duck bit you, yeah?” Spike asked. Buffy giggled.

“Yeah. Feeding ducks, cutting each other, and carving trees? We were strange kids, you know that?”

“Yeah, well, we were strange together,” Spike offered with a shrug. Buffy grinned and wrapped her arms around his neck, rewarding him with a kiss for bringing up those old memories.

“Thanks, Spike.” They settled back down on the blanket and began their little picnic. Spike had packed some of Buffy’s favorites, including homemade brownies, and Buffy was amazed at how great they tasted.

They talked about many things, nothing of any consequence, and just as they were finishing up and getting ready to leave, a loud yell from nearby startled them both. They peered across the park to find Angel O’Connor and Parker Abrams throwing around a football.

“Great,” Buffy muttered. “Come on. Let’s get out of here before they see us.”

“Don’t let them ruin our day, Buffy,” he warned.

“We’re almost done here, and I don’t exactly want to be reminded of your ex-girlfriend today. You should’ve seen her last night at The Bronze. She looked ready for bloody. I just…”

“Alright, pet,” he said softly, taking her hand. “We can go.” Hurriedly, they packed up and took everything back to the car. They were just about to head out when Angel’s voice carried over.

“Hey, Pratt!”

“Bloody hell,” Spike grumbled. “Get in the car, luv, I’ll be right back.”

“Spike…”

“Just stay here. I’ll just be a minute.” Buffy sighed and did as Spike told her to do. She watched as he walked across the lot to where the guys were playing football.

“What do you want, O’Connor?”

“Is that Buffy Summers you’re with?” Angel peered over at Spike’s car.

“That’s right.”

“So you’re still together?”

“Not much has changed in the past week.”

“Well, my buddy Parker here was interested, and I told him I’d ask.” Spike glanced at the other guy, recognizing him from the football team. Parker gave him quite the my-shit-doesn’t-stink grin, and Spike’s jaw twitched.

“Sorry, mate, but Buffy’s not that kind’ve girl.”

“Not what kind of girl?” Parker asked, quirking his eyebrow. “Not the kind of girl that goes from guy to guy, or…”

“No, she’s not the kind of girl that goes around with blokes like you that only want one thing.”

“What the fuck is that supposed to mean, man?”

“It means that I’m pretty sure when I spoke to my friend Xander this morning that you were one of the guys that left with his cousin Faith Lehane last night.”

“So, what of it?” Parker wondered.

“What of it? You’re not Buffy’s type. Besides, she has someone. Me.”

“Yeah, like that’ll last,” Angel smirked. “You couldn’t keep Drusilla happy, so you decided to fuck the one person who you thought would be safe to get involved with. She’s your friend. You couldn’t do better than that?” Spike’s fists curled at his sides.

“There’s no better than Buffy, O’Connor. And as for keeping Drusilla happy, you’d have to be a sodding rocket scientist. You should know, you dated her.”

“She does have a few screws loose, but sex wasn’t the problem in our relationship if you know what I mean.” Angel and Parker shared smug grins and a couple of laughs.

“Whatever, O’Connor. My lady is waiting.” He turned to head back to the car, and then Angel opened his mouth once again.

“You know, if you get tired of her, I wouldn’t mind taking her for a ride. She looks like she’s got…stamina.” Without hesitation, Spike spun around, and his fist connected with the side of Angel’s face.

“Spike!” Buffy screeched from the car. But he didn’t seem to hear her. Angel, being about a foot taller and much wider in the chest area, had no problem barreling into Spike, who despite his strength, was more compact. That didn’t mean that when his fist connected with Angel’s gut, it didn’t pack a wallop.

Angel leaned forward, sputtering as he tried to catch his breath. However, Parker stepped in on behalf of his buddy and punched Spike square in the nose.

“Stop it!” Buffy screamed, just as Spike tossed Parker to the ground and punched him three or four times in the face. “Spike!” And then Angel was up, pissed from Spike’s low blow. He grabbed Spike around the neck, flinging him off of Parker and tossing him to the ground, delivering a swift kick to his stomach.

Spike groaned in pain, and Buffy finally made her way over, kneeling down in front of him.

“Good thing your slut girlfriend was here to save you, Pratt.” Buffy glared up at Angel, but the anger in Spike raged once again, and he threw himself off of the ground and at Angel, pushing him back into the dirt, rolling about, delivering and receiving punches as Buffy watched in horror.

“You ever say another word like that again about Buffy, and I’ll put you in the hospital, you got that, mate?” Angel was breathless and groaning as blood spurted from his nose. Spike stood up and moved over toward Buffy. “Goes for you too, Abrams. Get the hell away from us.”

Spike turned toward Buffy, and she frowned, gently touching his face. His nose was bleeding and she could tell he was going to have a black eye.

“Come on. Let’s get you out of here.” She wrapped her arm around him and helped him back to the car.


Chapter End Notes:
Feedback = goodness! Thanks! :)