Author's Chapter Notes:
Some things people have been asking get answered in this one. Hope you enjoy :D
William was fascinated with the finely chiseled wood that would hold the delicately painted paper that unfolded in the most artistic way. The fan opened to reveal some unknown landscape with unusual homes and tiny symbols he vaguely recognized as being from the east. Although he could not identify exactly which language.

“Be very careful with that please, William. It’s very easy to tear.” she asked, but there was only a simple warning to her voice. He carefully closed it back up and set in on the shelf next to a small statue of a mother and daughter dressed in what to him looked like shifts.

Below that was a shelf of daggers meant for throwing next to a small wood box that he assumed could be a music box. Those were rare as well. At the far end was a small stack of bound books. “You certainly have collected many treasures.”

She was intrigued with his perusal of her more precious belongings. He seemed to be rather unsure of himself, but she was his captain, and so that seemed reasonable. “Ten years here. A girl begins to make herself at home.”

He chuckled and ran his fingers over the books one last time before he turned around. “And he really found you? During a raid?”

She nodded. “Yes, and raised me. I used to sleep right in there.” She pointed at the door right behind her. She saw that same look come over his face. The one that let her know his mind may possibly be taking a wrong turn. “For my safety of course.” She clarified, hoping to avoid another misunderstanding. “The crew was like family, but they were men and I was a young woman.”

A small smile played on his lips. “ Still are by my measure.”

She grinned back, and leaned against her desk as he turned back to her shelves. “Yes but now I’m fairly sure I have very little need of more protection than I can provide myself.” She said crossing her arms.

“Learned that one first hand.” He turned back to her and crossed his arms, mirroring her pose. “Still, been hiding away in this room or that one, has to get a little lonely, captain.”

There was no teasing in his tone, and if it had been Parker making this statement she would probably end up breaking the poor boy’s nose. But she sensed nothing but pure curiosity from the man, laced with something else she couldn’t name, but by no means nefarious.

With a little trepidation, she shrugged, barely a hint of movement as she worked to keep her face impassive. “I suppose, at times. But I have my crew, and my home. And more of a life than most females.” It sounded a little rehearsed, even to her ears.

He didn’t comment. Instead he found himself surveying his captain’s room once more, hoping to distract himself enough from staring at a woman who was, more often than not, occupying his thoughts.

She, for her part, seemed to be studying him. Gauging the man that had fit in well on board. “And what of you William? I hear that you were orphaned young, and became a servant soon after.”

“You’ve heard the truth. Although ‘servant’ would be the polite way of describing my employ.” He sighed and turned to focus his attention on her. She looked at him with curiosity and seemed to be waiting for more. “My master was by no means benevolent. When I first began, he had me outside, working me hard and hoping to break me.”

She saw his face harden at the simple statement. “When he tired of that I was to work within the manor, and became quite proficient at it despite his ridiculous requests.” He didn’t wish to go into detail. It was a life he wanted left behind.

She seemed to respect his choice. Even some of the more experienced on the crew who served her never went into long descriptions of their past. A personal choice that she found understandable. For none of them had any clue to her ancestry.

Without thought she walked past him, so closely that the flowery scent from her bathing tickled his senses. She reached for the small box he’d seen and opened it, letting loose the quite tones of a song she could hum from memory on command.

The simple notes were plucked as a wheel spun a metal tube with raised dots. It was an elegant structure, but the mechanics had held through the years and a small smile tugged at her lips as she looked up. “We all have our pasts William. We all have our secrets.”

His eyes shifted from the slowly turning metal back up to her face. “That we do.”

She held his gaze, unable to look away as he seemed to see into her, and read those secrets directly from her mind. She was still dressed in her night clothes, but his ocean hued eyes made her feel positively naked. An icy chill balled up in her belly, and then the ice warmed and melted into a tingling warmth that flowed down right into her thighs.

She had to force herself to take a breath, and blinked, looking away at a particularly interesting knot in the wall before she closed the tiny box and set it on her bed. She quickly turned and tried to think of a way to go back to the more relaxed mood they had shared. She wasn’t sure why, and that was mostly because she refused to actually study her actions, but she wanted to keep talking to William, or Spike rather.

An idea struck her. He was so interested in the items she’d gathered, perhaps he would like to see where she’d obtained them?

In a moment, Buffy threw open one of the trunks and began pulling out rolled maps. She spun to him with an armful. “I think you’ll like this.” She smiled at him, watching as his eyes shifted to the bundles she held.

Soon, a grin filled his face.

~~`~~

The next morning, with the sun shining in a radiantly clear sky, Willow jabbered away while Tara followed her up the gangplank. There were so many things to share with her girlfriend that just when she thought she’d told her everything something else would pop into her head. “Oh! And I used the Myrtyl’s Root like you suggested. It was great!”

Tara held her lover’s hand. “I’m glad honey.” Tara herself never could get used to the rocking and jittering of the pirate ship. She could handle a few minutes at a time but there was no question in her mind that if she ever took to sea that the only adventure had, would be with her stomach.

They headed towards Buffy’s cabin door. They’re mission was to rouse the sleeping woman and get her back to town for much trading and mingling, rather the blonde wanted to or not. It was a time honored tradition, since Buffy never seemed to want to wake up after the first night at dock. The noon sun was nearly at its apex and no one had seen her yet.

Willow rapped lightly at the door in the hopes that Buffy might call back announcing she’d roused herself. But as history was due to repeat, there was no such proclamation so the red head entered. “Buff, it’s time to rise and,” she peered through the opening made by the now ajar door and took in the sight of a clearly ransacked room. Nearly every item Buffy had ever treasured was scattered about. “Torture whoever did this to your chambers.” She finished in a harsh whisper, eyes wide with shock.

It was at this time Buffy rolled over and became slightly aware of her surroundings. The haze of sleep hadn’t quite lifted but her eyes were open. “Oh hey Wills. G’morning Tara.” She said as she pushed away some of the blankets covering her in her lush bed. “Who are we torturing?”

Buffy worked on sitting up while Willow recounted her declaration. “We are going to have to torture who ever did this to your room.” Now the redhead and Tara were standing near the foot of the bed, looking over the open chests with items strewn throughout the room. Her shelves were disorganized and so was her desk. “What happened in here Buff?”

The captain took in the state of her chamber. It really was pretty disorganized and not at all tidy as she usually kept it, but torture seemed a little extreme. Still, if her friend had her heart set on it, who was she to disappoint?
With tired limbs, Buffy held her arms out in front of her. “Ok, get on with the beatings. I’m ready.”

There was a silence in the room as the visiting women took in Buffy’s words.

Tara giggled and eyed Willow. “You sure you want to take her on sweetie? She is the captain after all.”

Willow shook her head at both of them. “No, of course not. But, Buffy, what the holy heck happened in here?”

Buffy again looked down at her floor. She remembered now, half the night wasted away talking to William. It’d been amazing really. Once she started talking and he joined in, they couldn’t seem to stop. She had drug out nearly every piece collected over the years aboard the ship, while Spike regaled her with saucy retellings of his old household. Some so scandalous that Buffy herself felt her body warm with tales of trysts and deception and affairs that, it seemed, were commonplace.

Tara saw it first, her eyes widening in surprise. It was a the little smile that kept onto Buffy’s face, a new kind of smile for The Slayer, but one the shy woman knew. She glanced to Willow beside her to check if she’d notice. Whatever the sleepy blonde was thinking about certainly seemed to please her. And if the Wicca was right, that something was male shaped.

Willow’s nose crinkled. She knew that look. Why did Buffy have that look? She was on board all night. She couldn’t have warm fuzzy thoughts about someone she hadn’t bothered to leave the ship to meet. “So what exactly did happen last night?” She voiced her final thoughts to the lump now trying to extract itself from the bedding.

“Oh, yeah, that.” She replied just barely managing to miss stepping on the fan built from paper she’d gotten years ago, but had been happy to share with Spike the night before. She really should have cleaned up but by the time he left early this morning she was too tired to care. “That’s just from William last night.” She said matter-of-factly.

“William?” Tara asked Willow, who was now open-mouth shocked.

She looked over the room with different eyes. The bed was a mess, Buffy’s things had been moved around and some lay on the floor. Even her desk was in disarray. “Oh Buffy, you didn’t? Did you?” Willow asked as Buffy began gathering up her belongings and set them in their proper place. “Was there alcohol? Did he get you drunk and take advantage because if he did his backside is so going off the ship the hard way. I don’t care if we are at dock.” Willow was on a ramble. “I’ll sail this thing myself if I have to. He’s taking a swim!”

“Whoa, Whoa. Wait there Red.” Buffy set one of her frilly dresses back in the open chest and turned on her friend. “There was no drunkenness and certainly no taken advantage of here.” She made sure Willow understood. “He was onboard last night and we just talked. That’s all. Nothing requiring a swim as punishment. Alright?”

Willow turned her head slightly and scrutinized Buffy carefully. “Are you sure, because you look kind of like there was something more than talking.”

Buffy was now picking up the papers and books off the floor and attempting to bring order to her workspace. “I promise you, there was talking and story telling. That’s all.” But even as she said it she knew part of that was a lie. Something had happened, though not physical in nature.

There had been a connection there. One that it would do her well to ignore. Although some of the crew she dearly cared for had coupled and made it work, she not only had the past experience of a failed relationship, but she was captain and really had no desire to complicate things by making one of her crew her lover. And judging by the red head’s reaction, it wouldn’t do much for the crew’s moral either.

“Besides,” She continued organizing her desk, trying to sound nonchalant. “It gave me a chance to get to know him a little.”

“I suppose that’s true.” Willow agreed before abruptly changing the subject to the reason she was here. “Well we came to get you for more fun and interesting things than learning about Spike.” Willow announced with a playful gleam in her eyes.

“Oh yeah?” Buffy asked again, turning to her friend.

“Yeah.” This time Tara continued, nodding. “Olivia is interested in a few things and wants to work out the details.”

Buffy gathered up a clean pair of trousers. “I’ll be right there then. Just need to get dressed.”

The pair of women nodded and shut the door as they left.

Tara glanced back at the grain of the wood patterned into the door before facing her love. Her pensive look hard to miss. “I get the feeling Buffy is hiding something about this William. Who is he?”

“Latest crew member.” Willow said simply before adding, “And she is definitely hiding something.”

~~`~~

It was like they’d dropped anchor at a festival. The main square was filled with carts and wagons between booths where prepared meats and vegetables could be purchased alongside the raw ingredients. The smell of roasting pork had his mouth watering and so he strolled past the food court towards another area filled with fabrics and tailors selling prepared clothing. He’d eaten enough for 10 men so far, and even the thought of another bite made his stomach churn, despite the heavenly smell.

Larry, Oz, Parker and Xander had met up with him nearly the moment his feet touched land and they’d been leading him through the main center of the village. Since then he’d eaten, he’d drank, he’d made a few bargains for items and even managed to purchase better boots and some new trousers.

But the town was exciting. It seemed through the morning another boat, although no one the crew of The Watcher was familiar with, had docked, so many of the islands occupants were out trading and milling about the streets.

Spike slung the bag holding his new belongings over his shoulder again before announcing he was headed to the ship to stow it.

“Alright.” Xander waved him off. “We’ll be at the pub, you know the one?”

He nodded and headed back to his new home. The crowd got thinner as he met the outskirts of the town and the path that lead down towards the dock. It was a short walk, but one that soon found lined with people traveling back and forth, arms full off bags and crates and barrels.

At first he just thought it was more merchandise being put out for sale, then he saw Buffy, black trim vest buttoned in place, and overseeing everything. She was pointing and seemed to be yelling commands to people bringing things on board which seemed like very little compared to the amount leaving.

When her gaze fell across him she smiled and strode to meet him. “I hope you are willing to be a very rich man, William.”

She said it so seriously, even with the smile on her face. He wasn’t sure how to respond. “Sure, I’m not averse to it.” Was all he could come up with, a hint of a smile tugging at the corner of his mouth.

She laughed outright. “Good, because as of today you get one of these.” She said and dropped a small leather pouch heavy and jingling into his hands. “I know its just a start, but it’s yours. Everyone get’s one.”

He was open mouth shocked for a full 10 seconds before he could ask. “All of this?”

He looked back at her just in time to see her shrug. “It’s an even share with the rest of the crew.” She stopped a man with a small crate and peered in quickly, checking its contents. She set the lid back on loosely and shoved the man along. “Some is going to supplies but the rest we split.”

He followed her back onto the deck now looking at his new boots and trousers with fresh eyes. He could have bought as much as he wanted. Could for a good long while from the weight of the coins.

She seemed to be able to read his mind. “Save it. Buy what you need. Get some interesting things along the way.” She said thinking about the night previous and her own souvenirs from life. “Then when you want to get out you can live honest off what’s saved, and have a few reminders of the glory days.”

He couldn’t help but agree with her simple plan. “I did well then?”

She nodded. Their evening was still running through her mind. She had come to one conclusion. She liked William. He was an easy sort of fellow. What you saw, was what you got. Those hours of talking showed her that much, add that with his past actions and she knew that there was only one problem, she could easily like him much more. It wouldn’t be difficult at all.

She had to shake herself from those thoughts. They were to be avoided at all costs. There was just too much as stake to let herself get caught up in the butterflies that would stir if she looked too long into those smiling blue eyes, or at the quirky curve of his lips when he shared an irritated grin.

Pulling herself back into the moment, Buffy smiled, “You did well, Spike.”

“I’m just going to-” He pointed towards the stairs. “Thanks.” It was all that came to mind. So he left and wondered why his head chose that moment to replay the way she looked laying across her floor with a map marking all her travels last night. She had looked so innocent and free. The serious face was gone and a girl was left behind.

It threw him off.

Not that the woman was stone faced, but she was the captain and held the rank with ease. Seeing her with the title stripped away only made him more appreciative of the woman as a whole.

He stowed his things as the thumping of feet overhead echoed in the otherwise empty barracks. It struck him how much things changed in such a short time. The scampering feet of sneaky chambermaids was taken by the rowdy clomps of men moving aboard. His duties of caring for the cargo, pitching in with Larry and practicing fight moves with Faith had taken place of the inhumane treatment his abused body had endured. And instead of avoiding the other people ensured to the household, he had a group of mates he worked and laughed with daily.

And now, according to the captain, he was pretty well off. Though he couldn’t calculate the worth of the gold, he figured it was no small amount.

~~`~~

They left a day later. Weeks passed with stops that lightened their load while weighing down their pockets. The stops were short, and not the homey welcomes of The Cove. More often than not, the entire crew would stay aboard while deals were settled by their captain, usually accompanied by Parker, but very rarely anyone else.

It was a month later, and at sea once again, the Watcher moved swiftly across the horizon of a setting sun. The golden orange hues evoking an unreal atmosphere. And as the sun dropped down further, causing the colors to deepen and change into pinks and reds, before shifting to purple, and finaly the blue of a night sky pierced with bright white crystalline stars, Buffy stood firmly on the deck looking over the faces of her patiently waiting crew.

She had been able to bestow them all with a good turn over from the last heist. A few days of trading and another short stop had nearly emptied their cargo hold of goods but it had also taken them to the last piece their captain had been after before she would be forced to reveal her true goal.

The men and women aboard the ship were sharing a barrel seemingly at ease with how well things had been going, all due to their captain. Whatever it was she had gathered them all up for, they were quite anxious to hear. Excited to know the next venture that might line their pockets that much more.

With a calming breath, she began. “We’ve been doing well.” She started loudly into the air. The crowd all agreed with enthusiasm, some lifting their mugs to the woman standing before them. All smiled and hardy well wishes were shared between the crew before she had their attention again.

As they quieted once more she continued, eyes and face resolved. “I’m glad you are all pleased with the fruits of our labors so far, you’ve all proven yourselves here. Proved to be willing to put yourselves on the line for each other and for The Watcher. So what I’m about to ask you to do is not a requirement. This time, it has nothing to do with the group.” She watched their faces, looking for and watching for any reaction to her words but all she saw was curiosity from the faces surrounding her. Willow was the lone person in the crowd that knew what was coming next.

“I need to put to dock, on a personal matter.” She announced shortly.

Xander shrugged. “Going to visit Ripper again?”

Buffy’s eyes dropped onto her first mate. “No, I’m going to see my sister.”

She watched his face take on a blank look before confusion then a wide eyed realization pulled him fully aware again. “Your sister?”

“You never said you had a sister B.” Faith joined in smiling, obviously happy for the woman. “That’s no problem. Not with me anyway.” She seemed quite agreeable to an unscheduled stop.

“Yeah Buffy,” Larry agreed. “We could all do with a little relaxation anyway. Where are we headed?”

This was going to be the hard part. She knew that none of the crew would berate her for finding family, it was where the family was that would be the problem. “Right inside the Aurelian Territories.”

There was a small gasp from the crowd then complete silence. Almost everyone aboard her ship had been found near that area. It covered several cities, and the Aurelian shipping Company was generally avoided by this crew because of its abusive and exaggerated interpretation of defending their ship.

Captors were never taken if raided. Many of the captains entrusted with Aurelian shipments were considered more dastardly than any pirate with their cruel treatment of their crew and horrendous ethical practices.

“B-Buffy, you didn’t say anything about… about that.” Willow barely got out of her throat past the fear that was building.

Xander gave her a sideways glance, concluding correctly that Willow had some previous information on this situation, but apparently not much. His gaze went back to the blonde looking over a crowd of murmuring and worried men and women. “It’s not that we don’t feel for you, Buff, but some of us have a price on our head and have plenty of people who can recognize us on sight around there.”

“I know.” Buffy agreed with a nod and a frown. “I know Xander, I’m not asking anyone to go with me. Well, no one that could be recognized.” Her eyes dropped onto Parker. “I’ll need Sly, and I could use Spike and Larry as well.” She added looking at each as she spoke their name. “But this is strictly volunteer work here.”

Woods crinkled his brow. “I’m up to help if you need me Captain. No one around here has seen me.”

Buffy nodded back at him. “Thanks Robin, I’ll keep that in mind. I’m still not sure how this is going to play out. I mean, I could be recognized and there are a few people in the territory I can think of that would love to se me again for my head more than the reward on it.”

“How are you going to pull that one off?” Spike finally spoke up, concerned now as well, for her.

He’d remained silent and disconnected the moment she’d mentioned the name. Aurelian Shipping, of course it had to be them. Nowhere near his old home of course. His old master loved the luxury of living where he liked, while his company ran and made him money. But the name had frozen him none the less.

Now though, as he heard her reveal her own danger, he was fully aware of the conversation. He was expected to take part in her plan to see a sister apparently no one knew she possessed.

Buffy looked back at Spike. He’d said nothing and had little reaction to his inclusion on her early declaration. To his question she simply answered. “In disguise.”

~~`~~

Hank dropped the papers onto his desk as he strode around it, quickly unfastening the buttons of his overcoat before draping it carefully over the back of his chair. In graceful movements he settled himself into his seat and began reading through the latest accounts.

Nearly two moths had passed and only one more confirmed Slayer raid had occurred, this time leaving the crew adrift and helpless for a week before they were found, sails gone from their ship, their ropes sliced through, and the anchor long gone.

Luckily they had been left to drift directly in the newly routed shipping lanes. Ones that had been deemed safer because pirates rarely were sighted in the area. So much for that plan.

He read swiftly over the pages and only found his anger rising. With luck, his new plan would help him gain some ground. All he needed was for the winds to blow his way for a short time. Long enough to destroy this man who seemed determined to take all he could.

With an annoyed grunt he dropped the pages against to his desk and turned to the small table sitting beside his desk that held his brandy.

He was in the middle of enjoying the generous three fingers of the warming liquor when a rapping sounded from his door. He swallowed quickly and commanded, “Enter.”

The door swung open as Lindsey McDonald strode in, his hat swiftly pulled from his head as he shut the door then wedged the new Captains hat under his arm. “She’s ready for launch Mr. Summers.”

“Well done Captain. I should expect you back with in 2 weeks, is that correct?”

Lindsey’s eyes shifted to the ceiling as he calculated quickly. He then eyes his employer. “Possibly, but I think we could be back in less. It’ll depend on the sea, sir.”

“And your informant?”

“Nothing as of late, Sir.”

“When he contacts you, make due haste and send word immediately.”

Lindsey gave the man a nod. “Of course.”


Chapter End Notes:
Don't worry.. I'm sure everything will go just fine. Cuz um.. yeah I'm so-lying.