Author's Chapter Notes:
Hope you like :)
Riley stood across the plank, a curious look plastered on his face. “I’m really not sure about this Buff. I know I owe ya one, really, but this is pretty risky.” He said as she stepped onto the deck of The Initiative followed by Parker and Larry carrying a trunk and Spike hefting the bags holding a few of the men’s belongings.

The mid-sea meet had been planned via message with Anya. Missis Harris had apparently done her job well, giving the captain of The Initiative the message as soon as they docked for their layover at the cove.

Now the two ships bobbed along a quiet ocean, anchored for the time as the exchange of a few guests was made.

“Relax Riley, we aren’t even going to need you to put to port. Just get us close enough to row in and wait a little bit.” She smiled sweetly at him as her men strolled past and headed down into the barracks. “You won’t have to lift a finger, besides, you’ve always steered clear of the area just like me, but unlike me, you’re boat is unlikely to be considered a threat.” She said.

He shook his head. “I still don’t like it.”

She crossed her arms and stared up at him. “You don’t have to like it Finn, but you do have to keep your word.”

He sighed visibly. “I’m a man of my word, you know that. And I’ll take you in, but it still seems wrong. You’re literally heading headfirst into the belly of the beast and hoping not to be digested.”

This time she let her arms fall, but she kept her eyes on him, hoping he understood with complete clarity that nothing could sway her. “You think I don’t know what I’m walking into? You think I’m not aware that there are some places that are just plain too dangerous for me to come close to?” There was an air of pity surrounding her words. His overprotective nature was still evident.

“Yes!” He interrupted with his voice raised loud enough for both ships’ compliment to hear. “I think you have some twisted idea that you can get away with anything, just because you’re The Slayer.” He let his voice lower and took a calming breath as he watched her face harden. “But mostly I’m worried, Buffy. You don’t know what might happen in there.”

She looked up at him and only saw sincerity. Despite their past, or maybe because of it, he still worried more than he should. “Riley, this isn’t some half baked plan I cooked up last night. I’ve been trying to set this up for months, years really. I’ve had the timing down for awhile.” She turned when she saw her men coming back up to the deck followed by a few of Riley’s men as well.

“I’m sending Larry and Parker in first to make sure there is no one there that could identify me. The captains or crew of ships, A few Admirals. Also there’s this governor about a year back…” Her mind wondered for a brief moment as her eyes shifted heavenward, a smile tugging at her lips. She looked back and shook herself from the personal joke. “Anyway, it’s a long shot, but Larry knows who to look out for and Parker, well…”

Larry piped up then. “Parker can talk us out of any trouble if there is anyone around that could cause it.” He said jovially and gave the man in question a friendly slap on the back. Parker took it in stride and grinned a cocky grin

“Exactly.” Buffy nodded and continued. “Then if everything looks clear, and Forest doesn’t come with bad news, William and I can go in.”

Riley raised a brow at that as he looked over the slighter looking man standing on the other side of Larry. “No offence, but don’t you have someone bigger to fight with?”

“Oi there!” Spike called back.

She cut in, “One, he can fight.” Buffy stated holding up her pinky. “And two,” Now holding up her ring finger. “There won’t be a fight. He’s coming as my footman. An escort.“ She gave her hand a funny look, and let it fall to her side, before looking back up. “No lady of breading would walk through a strange town unescorted. And since that’s exactly who I will be posing as, I need a someone that can pass as chaperone.”

Riley shook his head at her. “I still don’t like it.”

She smiled up at him gently. “I know. You worry. But don’t. Everything will be fine.” She finished.

~~`~~

Larry walked through the unfamiliar ship 2 days later, dressed for his part in the plan. The waistcoat was tight and he never did care for hats. The simple black cap now on his head only seemed to irritate and itch.

The guests were to set up bunk on the far end of the floating barracks. Much like The Watcher, there were bunks, and a few random slings or hammocks. Most men had their own preference. For him, he preferred the bunks, but a good sleeping pallet would do for their short stay on board.

He had only needed to change and was heading back out past the otherwise empty space. Or at least he thought it had been empty.

As he drew past the first set of beds, a distinct clink was heard. A few steps more and he could see the back of Forest, who was standing by what must have been his own sleeping space. “Forest?”

The dark man’s head spun quickly and the items in his hand dropped with a round of random clinks on the wood floor. Larry eyed the coins now lying at his feet. “Oh, sorry. I didn’t realize you were-”

“It’s alright.” Forest interrupted him and bent down to collect his small fortune. “Just don’t like people sneaking up on me.” He quickly explained.

“Of course.” He couldn’t figure out what had caused the other man to become so jumpy, but then again he never did spend much time with Forest. Maybe this was just the way he was. “I was just heading back to meet with Parker again, before we head out”

Forest stood back up, cinching the bag in hand, now plump with the money. “Oh, that’s good.” He agreed and stuffed the bag under the blankets of his bunk. “I’ll head up with you.”

Larry nodded and let Forest lead the way.

~~`~~

Graham grabbed the rope as it was tossed down, and pulled them towards the pier. His passengers waited patiently and primly while he did his part. After a long wait, with no word of warning from Forest, Parker or Larry, they felt safe to come into the town. He could only hope that all was well. Graham watched the blonde man pull himself from the small craft, and busied himself carefully picking up the few packages Buffy had brought.

Buffy took William’s hand as she stepped up from the small boat that had taken them from the former military vessel to the shores of the city. Graham kept within the vessel and handed up the parcels to Buffy.

She quickly handed them off to Spike and turned back to Graham. “Thanks.” She said. “We should be back in less than two hours time.”

The sandy haired man nodded once. “I’ll be here.”

Another smile of gratitude from the woman and the blonde pair headed up the docks toward the small burg that was held within a foreboding sight of a stone-wall monstrosity. A rocky construct that stood out as an impenetrable shield to those within.

One entrance was visible from her vantage point as they drew closer. She’d been here a few times in a previous life, and once in her present one. Each time she felt as though she were walking towards a dark and evil place.

It was dreary looking, with large slabs stacked high to keep the people within safe, and to keep those without invitations out. But to Buffy it always looked more like the makers of the walls wished to keep the residents trapped. An obvious realization considering its former use.

The wood planks of the pier gave way to stone steps and a path that lead to the large opening, big enough for several horse and carriages to roll through. Spike, all the while, stayed to her right and just a step behind as he was instructed, while he took in the grandiose sight. Why anyone would go to the trouble to build such an eyesore? He could not fathom.

The entrance was guarded heavily and for a moment some trepidation seeped into his pores. His eyes shifted quickly to the woman dressed in green finery, her bodice cinched and her black lace parasol held sternly overhead, while her steps remained graceful, if not resolute.

She walked forward intending to pass by the men wearing broadswords at their sides, but instead just as she was about to pass the threshold to the city within she heard a polite, “Excuse me Miss.” As one of the sharply dressed men stopped her.

“Yes?” She said stopping wide eyed and sweet. Spike, as was his duty, stepped up to his fo-mistress’s side.

“What business have you here?” The man asked her. He was young and tall with a thin trim mustache over his lip.

“I’m here to provide a stipend at Miss Winkles.” She said as she pulled open one of the small envelopes to show him an unwrinkled sheet of parchment with instructions carefully written out. She handed the paper to the man and waited as he skimmed over the words. “Miss Winters?” He looked up and asked quickly.

She nodded. “Anne Winters, yes sir.” She had no doubts as to the authentic look of the parchment. Andrew had taken special care with the language of her request. And Jonathan had matched the emblems and crests for the supposedly official letter with a perfection that surpassed her expectations.

The soldier handed her the paper and she slid it easily back into place. “Will there be anything else?” She asked in her sweet polite tone that had Spike trying hard to hold back a laugh.

The young man gave Spike a quick glance, easily deducing his station and shook his head before waving the pair through. “No ma’am. Thank you. “

She gave him a parting nod and headed under the arch of the high opening into the town, Spike dutifully at her side.

As they entered the town they saw that, despite the dreary outside, it very much resembled any other. Shops and businesses were scattered along the square with venders set up off to the side offering their wares as well. The one distinction this particular place had from others was the large building constructed of the same stones as the high wall. It was meant to be used as the headquarters of Aurelian Shipping, but had once been the holding cells for slaves when this route was popular less than 50 years ago.

The cells had long ago been converted as had much of the building above. Below the ground was a different story. Buffy had heard firsthand stories of the cruelty that went on below. In the depths the old cells had been maintained, as had the chambers used for ‘punishment’ and ‘interrogations’ traditionally.

With a shiver Buffy turned from the offensive building and headed in the opposite direction. Thankfully the house she was due to visit was far on the other side of town. “Come on.” She said to Spike who was still glaring at the stone structure.

The streets were busy with sailors and military along with the overpopulation of the regular citizens, but thanks to Parker and Larry’s earlier reconnaissance, they were fairly sure none of the ships or visiting crews were from Johnston’s and none of the men visiting the local entertainment establishments were of consequence. Buffy held confidence in her men, but she was fully aware that, despite her preparation, nothing was guaranteed.

They followed the turns of the roads that would lead to the lady’s school Buffy knew held her sister. She stepped carefully as she kept her posture straight and ladylike, a small smile planted on her face as a lady would. It was downright irritating, but with each tip of a hat by a passing gentleman and slight nod from other women, she knew that she was, at the very least, playing the part well.

When the stately building rose from the outskirts of the town, nestled against one of the high walls, Buffy could feel her heart speed up. She was finally going to meet her sister. The most difficult part was coming upon her, and with the bit of confidence she’d gained from years of planning she strode to the dark wood front door and pulled the thick rope attached to a small brass bell overhead.

There was a short silence between the dinging of the bell and the sound of footsteps coming from behind the door before a young woman answered, thin smile in place.

“Hello, I’m Miss Anne Winters here to speak to Mrs. Wimple about Miss Dawn Summers.” Buffy announced to the girl who simply opened the door wider and waved them in,

“Please, be seated Miss.” She offered as Buffy walked in followed by Spike.

The girl shut the front door and scampered away quickly leaving the two in the greeting and sitting room. It was not large but held four single chairs with two small tables all constructed of wood but ornately carved. The chairs had seats with velvet blue cushions attached for comfort.

Upon the walls hung several framed papers, naming graduates of the ladies school, attendees and letters of thanks from former boarders. Buffy eyed the place with scrutiny, oddly having a feeling that she was not the only one putting on a good show for on looking eyes.

The hallway past the room was lit by sun filtering in from high windows covered in ivory lace, but she could not see where the hall led past the turn, leaving her to pace within the confines of the small area. She had no desire to sit, and had little patience for the wait now that she was here.

“You look as nervous as a cornered mouse.” Spike commented, trying hard to hold in the obvious amusement in his tone.

She stopped mid-step to give him a dirty look, to which he shook his head and stood still by the door. If she wanted to pace, he’d let her pace.

Thankfully, only seconds later, they heard the footfalls of a approaching feet.

~~`~~

Lindsey rode up to the open gate, his horse tired and puffing out gasps as the rider slowed his pace. He was hardly recognizable in his plain clothes, the uniform of his daily life left behind this day.

As his steed pulled to a stop, Lindsey threw a leg over, and slid easily down the side of the saddle to land lightly on his feet, the reins still in hand as he completed the length to the doorway into the high walled city.

He was already running late, but it couldn’t be helped. The last minute switch in plans had caught him mid trip and he’d barely been able to hand over command and obtain passage to land.

He pulled his ride in past the guards, both recognizing the familiar brunette even in plainclothes. He quickly handed off the horse to the stables, handsomely tipping the keeper with orders to makes sure she was rested and ready for the return trip just in case.

~~`~~

Larry and Parker strode through the town, still keeping an eye out for any problems while Forest tagged along a few steps behind. The three men had done their duty long ago but since none of them had any chance of being recognized, had stayed behind in case things got troublesome.

Since they had every intention of leaving after Buffy and her party, Forest had no need to wait behind in the small craft that had brought them, but it also gave him a different problem. He seemed to be expected to follow the pair from The Watcher, which was an unforeseen kink in his own plans.

Larry peered into a shop window and noticed some young women looking over fabric remnants. They only partially hid the small selection of gems in the glass case on the far end of the store. Parker, who noticed his mate had lagged behind, took the few steps back beside the ogling larger man.

With a glance, Sly saw what had caught the man’s attention within the town’s general store. With half a grin Parker called back to Forest. “We’re going to pick up some rations.”

Forest, who had been looking across the street towards a pub, nodded back. “I think I’ll get myself a drink then.”

Larry was still transfixed with the jewelry on display just past the women. The ship knew he’d been toying with the idea of asking his girl to make things more permanent. With the sparkling gems set in gold bands calling him, Parker knew his friends had a target in mind.

Both men had the presence of mind to wave off the dark man. Sly just kept his cocky grin on his face and shook his head in embarrassment at Larry. He wanted to ‘pay’ for the ring. Like a thieved gem was bad luck, or some such nonsense. Marriage was for the birds in his opinion, but Larry was the sort of guy who might be able to pull it off.

~~`~~

Buffy could feel her palms sweating within the white lace of her gloves. Spike stood up a little straighter, carefully balancing the small wrapped boxes and Buffy took an involuntary step forward as the shadows of two figures drew closer.

The first to appear was Mrs. Wimple, a thick woman with a soft smile on her face and a gleam in her eyes as she turned to allow the second figure come forward to be presented. “Miss Anne Winters, may I introduce to you, Miss Dawn Summers.” She said, quite pleased, and kept her eyes on the young blonde, who only stared at the tall graceful young woman who stepped into the fine, if not spartan, room.

Dawn, such a simple name, and appropriate for the moment. This would be a new beginning. Buffy could only stand for fear that if she moved she would make a fool of herself crying and sobbing and hugging this young girl who was, for all intents and purposes, a stranger. But there was an undeniable connection the moment Buffy looked into the face that held a gentleness she remembered seeing often in her mother‘s face as a child.

The statuesque brunette gave a low and formal curtsey. “Miss Winters, it is my great pleasure to finally make your acquaintance.” She straightened to her full height and Buffy couldn’t help but smile. Her ‘little’ sister had apparently gotten all of the height in the family.

“The pleasure is mine, Miss Summers.” Buffy finished formally before turning to the elder woman who was watching the entire display without seeing any of the conflicted feelings in the well-off woman’s face. “May I have some time to get to know Dawn, please?”

Mrs. Wimple gave a startled look before gazing over to Spike who stood stock still, eyes forward and mouth shut as a good footman would. She then let her eyes fall on Miss Winters. The request was unusual after only just meeting. Usually there would be a discussion of the girl, her upbringing, any details of her heritage as well. But there was no reason she could think of not to grant it. “Of course.” A tight smile appeared on her face. “I’ll just be in the kitchen.” She directed the last of her statement to Dawn.

“Yes, of course, Miss.” Dawn acknowledged with a short nod.

Another pause and Mrs. Wimple strode out, her skirts swishing loudly.

When the swishing silenced the three were left all exchanging looks before Dawn brightened, seemingly coming up with a plan to alleviate the tension obviously choking the room. “Perhaps we could sit?” She offered.

“Of course.” Buffy, glad she had another moment to think of what to say, happily agreed.

The young women arranged themselves on two of the chairs separated by a small table with a gold framed watercolor of a hummingbird suckling from a flower, sitting on its well polished surface. Spike shifted his feet slightly but kept his place.

The young brunette cleared her throat once and chanced a glance at Spike, who only gave her a wink, which brought a smile to her face. “Who’s he?” Dawn asked with a nod.

Buffy turned and saw Spike still standing, face forward, a gleam in his eye telling her he was pleased to be the center of attention. She faced her sister again, “That’s William. He’s here to see to my safety.”

Dawn’s eyes widened and she leaned in closer, now whispering. “You mean he fights other men?

Buffy leaned in as well, amused by the young girl’s attitude. “Only if they are very nasty. Otherwise he might make a mess of that lovely suit.”

Spike let a chuckle escape but his eyes stayed focused on a spot on the wall. He had assumed that Buffy requested his presence for this particular subterfuge because he would be a new face, unknown to the area. He was slowly becoming aware that it may possibly have more to do with the fact that he worked in a house for years and had a clear idea of how the help was to act.

Dawn straightened again and nodded. “That would make sense.” She agreed and smoothed out her skirts as she continued. “So am I to leave with you now?” She said eyes down studying the fabric between her fingers. “I’m not yet 16, Miss Winters.”

Her sympathy for her sister redoubled, and she strained to keep her identity a secret. Until the young woman was 16, she would not be safe. “No Miss Summers. You are to remain, complete your studies.” She said and saw as her sister’s eyes slowly come up to meet her face. “I have no desire to take you from your home, but I feel it is my duty to care for such a spirited young woman.”

Fear seeped into Dawn’s eyes. “S-Spirited?”

Buffy let a brow raise. “So you did not untie the tethers of the stables before letting a snake loose last fall?

Another deep chuckle came from behind, quickly followed by a cough and silence.

Dawn’s eyes fell again. “Oh, yes , there was that.” She said more to herself before looking back up, defiant and pleading. “But I was much younger then. Barely 14.”

Buffy merely smiled and nodded. “And I’m sure it is not something you would ever attempt again. Am I correct?”

Dawn shook her head to the negative, her hair swaying around her head with the motion. “Oh no. Mr. Overly, he tends the stables, he nearly had my head. And Mrs. Wimple took away my privileges for 4 months.” She said all in on breath before cutting in again. “And kitchen duty.” She finished making a disgusted face.

Buffy wanted to laugh at the way her sister spoke. If she and Willow were left in a room it could be an interesting ramble contest. But, she was here playing the part of a wealthy woman looking for a ward. A Difficult enough scam to pull off considering her young age. It would not do for her to break out into hysterics at the idea of this slight girl causing a stampede of over a dozen horses through a town.

A town with walls enclosing the horses and only causing havoc for the residents as the horses ran through the streets. When Buffy had gotten the letter describing the events she had laughed until she cried.

But she was Ms. Winters here, and so she simply said. “Also, it may have been a bad choice. Possibly, one might say, wrong. Would you agree?”

Dawn nodded with a now solemn look. “Yes, of course. Someone could have gotten hurt. I was very lucky no one was killed.”

Buffy gave her a curt nod, it was a correct answer.

With that, she took a deep breath. “Well, then we are agreed. We will wait until after your 16th birthday, and the weeks after for your term‘s end. Is that acceptable?”

Dawn was confused now. “Miss. You would still, after, with the horses?”

“Well of course. You made a mistake, you learned. I’m sure you will make more mistakes.” She said matter of factly. Buffy then let a herself grin and leaned forward as if she were about to share a secret. “Life wouldn’t be nearly as interesting if there were no mistakes.” Buffy nodded knowingly.

~~`~~

Lindsey had forgone a bath, having been in a hurry, or so he’d thought. After finishing an order of stew, he was on his second mug before, finally, the seat next to him was filled. “Took you long enough.” he said as he lifted his drink for another gulp.

The man raised a hand to get the attention of the woman serving in the dark establishment. “Thought I’d be by myself.” He said when a mug of his own was set in front of him.

Lindsey looked up from his half full pint and stared up at Forest. “We all have to work to get away. Do you think it was easy for me to get here in just a few days time?”

Forest took a long slow dreg, enjoying the taste and sighing as he swallowed. His pleasure didn’t last long, nor did the euphoric look on his face as he turned to face the captain. “Stop your complaining and be glad I was able to contact you so you could be here.” His eyes bore into the man.

Lindsey had no fear of this scoundrel though. Any man willing to turn on his own crew did not deserve any kind of hesitation. Although he did deserve a sharp eye. “And what is this ’opportunity’ you needed me here for?”

His dark eyes glared with hatred before he gritted his teeth. He made a grunting noise, not at all pleased with this man’s disrespect. Another quick drink and Forest told him. “She’s here, now. In town. Right now.”

Lindsey turned his head towards the dark man. “She?”


Chapter End Notes:
TY for the reviews guys. I know I've been slow to post. I've been reading too much Spuff lately and have laxed on the writing. Hopefully after finals I'll be in a better writing mood. And ty cordykitten for reminding me how to count.