Author's Chapter Notes:
WOW! and also WOW! I m just blown away at all of the kind words shared by you guys. Everyone has been so positive, even in the critisism. I can not tell you how glad I am to see that another of my twisted brain's little ideas has been so welcomed.
I have tried to respond to each review individually but I’d like to address something IT pointed out : A ship can not just leave port on a whim.

I have never spent even one day on a boat, much less captained one so yes I am really making things up. I am sorry if the inaccuracies are too difficult to get by for anyone, but I am unsure if I want things like this beta’d because I fear how small points like that may shift things I need to happen in the story. So for now, it is what it is. All I can do for now is hope that the plot can stand on its own, and thank IT for giving me new information. I really appreciate anything a reader has to say.

That in mind, in this chapter, 2 of the crew will need to repair a hole knocked into the ship on the fly. I am absolutely positive that the way they patch it up is completely impossible, but once you read it, rather believable or not, I think it will be obvious why I did it that way.

Please do not let this detour anyone from continuing to tell me things like, Aye is not spelled Eye, cuz I can fix that and am happy to. But the major points of the story.. Well.. Yeah.. Bring on the wrongness.

Thanks again to everyone, and this will eventually bother me so much that I will end up rewording or rewriting bits but for now there is this intense need to share a story that I never thought id finish when I started it 5 yrs or so ago. *kisses to all*
They’d set sail with no complications, and The Watcher moved smoothly over the water, cutting it’s way through the waves and out to sea just as the sun crested the horizon. The captain was among the others, mixing in easily and seemingly unseen by the pirates. She knew the ship and how to accomplish each and every task in need of being done. As the mast held strong to the billowing sails, she tightened the ropes that would normally hold the heavy fabric providing the ship with momentum. The loose lines were stowed, the drinking water was seen to, and she’d even decided the deck needed a good scrubbing, picking tasks that let her watch her crew easily and unfettered.

That was the plan, to be among the regular crew while the new members, or in this case member, became acquainted with the ship. This way she could asses them without the encumbrance of being the captain, or a female. And from what she’d seen of William, she was impressed. Before the sun was fully shining on the world, he’d already set to the task of reconstituting the shorter lines of rope. A chore that was daunting and time consuming, and that Larry was quite proficient at.

The captain had once sat with the barrel-chested man and tried to learn the technique that would allow two ropes to be braided and bound, connecting them with no less strength then the either of the two had owned before the process. Often times these leads were used in emergencies when supplies ran low, but the batch that was being worked on now would be used for storms, when any one of the men aboard could be thrown overboard.

Larry chanced a glance at Buffy as she gathered the bundle that was complete and set them next to the mast for use later. She gave him a quick approving smile, and left him to teach the new recruit his craft.

When next Buffy saw him, William was being shown how to tie the tethers to the mast using complicated knots, but once again he seemed to be picking it up rather quickly. He was then shown the proper way to adjust the six heavy sails, where to gather supplies in case of a fire fight between ships, and how to set up the cannons that set lining both sides of the ships second deck behind the sleeping areas. After he was finished the noon sun was long gone and the yellow orb was approaching the end of its daily journey.

Elizabeth was about to go down to the galley to get herself a quick meal when she heard Oz’s voice ring from above. Buffy looked up to the crows nest and saw the tuft of red hair poking over and looking down as he screamed again. “Storm.” His arm outstretched pointing towards the direction they’d been sailing from.

Buffy turned and saw it. The dark clouds and rolling waves in the water behind them were getting closer.

Buffy spun back and quickly caught Xander’s eye on the helm’s deck. Before anyone knew it, Xander yelled the calls warning everyone of the storm coming right at them.

Men moved seemingly at random, but each was set to clear the deck, tie things down and close up the ship. Men climbed up the rope nets leading up the 2 masts and the sails began to collapse as other ropes were pulled and cinched.

William, who’d just been talking to one of the men about making a trade for a dagger he’d seen ran up to Xander, now lashing yet another rope to a post jutting out from the high side of the ship guarding from someone stumbling over the side. “What should I do?”

Xander contemplated the question for only a moment, until he saw Larry climbing up the net leading to the second rung holding the second of its three sails. A rope was caught and needed to be drawn in manually so the sail could be properly lowered. It seemed Larry was at it, unfortunately that left the tethers unattended. Xander studied the older man, and then yanked the light brunette over to the bundles of ropes gathered and tied to the mast as rain began to pelt down. “Make sure everyone is secure!” He yelled over the winds now picking up around them.”

William nodded and quickly set out to make sure each of the dozen or so people he saw were safely tethered to the boat. He ran from man to man, getting their attention by any means needed as the sun set and darkness fell. The lapping of the waves against the ship turned to swells nearly knocking the boat over, and the clean air suddenly smelled and even tasted dangerous. Then the atmosphere changed.

It became deadly silent for nearly 10 heartbeats when the air thickened just before the first bolt of lightning came out of no place, shattering the silence and breaking the wait as the downpour began and the wind once more whipped in all directions.

William tied a rope to himself when he saw the second bolt strike the tumbling water immediately followed by a cracking sound, now seeing that he’d been concerned with the others, and had yet to protect his own safety. Through the streams of water falling from the sky he double checked that each shadow moving between the bits of light from the lightening strikes had a line to keep them from being lost to the angry ocean.

The men were on deck now, none hanging overhead from other ropes or poles reaching for the sky, so it was easy for him to check even through the pellets of water worsening his vision. He was able to name most of the men as his eyes went from outline to outline of each person until he fell on one he vaguely recognized, but had no tether.

With no delay, he snatched the last of the ropes and ran to the person near the step leading up to the helm. “Oi, mate” He yelled.

The hat connected to a small body turned in his direction, so William quickly explained himself and began to reach for the person so he could tie the rope. “You need to have this bit for-“ He was unable to finish as another cresting wave hit the boat causing it to lurch about and both to loose their balance and tumble a ways to the opposite side of the boat.

Once Will was able to stabilize his tumbling, and the boat seemed to be more level, he found himself wrapped up in rope. He untangled himself and again sought out the other man. William found the form lying face down just a few feet away being drenched in the still falling rain and dragging the rope with him, he tried to get the other man to turn over.

William pulled the seemingly knocked out man by his shoulders, and as the young fella rolled over, his hat came loose. The rain washing down on them in torrents hid the feminine features until William grabbed the form by the waist so he could at least get the tether on.

The movement jostled Buffy’s head just enough that the kerchief was pulled off by the grain of the wood below her head. Her hair flowed underneath her with the water as the liquid swirled in puddles before draining through the holes along the bottom of the railing.

William finished the last of the knots he’d only learned that day, then tested it with a hard pull to be sure it was secure before he looked up to see if the man was conscious or not. What he found wasn’t what he expected.

With a halo of shimmering yellow moving around her face, William saw the first angel of his life. Her eyes were closed, and her face was calm, but he could have sworn that in the raging storm and pure ebony of the night, she glowed, and for a split second he was sure he’d died, but couldn’t figure out what had killed him.

Still unable to breath, and truly confused as to why there was a woman among a ship of pirates, he stared at her. It then struck him that she still wasn’t awake. Not sure what else to do he picked up the kerchief still sitting where her head had been before he’d pulled her up onto his lap to tie the rope. He tried his best to tuck her hair back up and inside like it had been. He still had the hat, and was about to place it over her face as she’d been wearing it when he saw her stir, and her eyes fluttered open.

Buffy barely saw through the fog of sleep before all reality came to her. The rain hitting her in the face helped. Soon she was blinking over and over and sitting up while trying to shield her eyes. As she sat, she realized she was sitting on something distinctively hard, and then her eyes were wide when she felt an arm around her back.

“You alright there?” She heard the voice ask and turned to see the new man on her ship. “You got knocked out there love. Might wanna take it easy; make sure you didn’t do any damage.”

Buffy’s eyes got big and round when she understood. Her cover had been completely blown, and she was now sitting on this new one’s lap, and being given advice on how to watch herself. Things were not going well. But as she saw all this, she sent out a little prayer that at least the ship hadn’t sunk.

Looking back at William, she franticly scooted off him, and snatched her hat from his grasp before shoving her head back under its protection, all the while glaring at him.

“I-I wont tell.” He offered through the squall, but she’d already taken off into the rain and past his vision.

Another crack of lightning and thunder overhead brought him out of his daze as he stared after her. He decided to set to work, testing out the ropes just in case. But his brain kept going back to the woman apparently living under the guise of a pirate. Just exactly what had he gotten himself into coming aboard this ship?

It was then he heard is name being shouted. He spun to see Xander waving him down.

William moved as quickly as he could meeting Xander at the steps leading into the belly of the lurching boat.

“We’re taking on water!” Xander yelled over the sound of the waves attacking the outer hull. “Ready to test that strength?”

Will followed Xander’s lead and removed his tether before heading into the ship. He brushed some of the dripping water from his face as he entered the protection of a roof while still trying to keep his balance as the boat jumped and rocked in the storm. He stepped off the last step and turned left with his eyes attached to the back of the man leading until the sound hit him. Water forcing its way through the gap in the wood just to the right of the beds the crew used.

His eyes were wide when he watched the water pour in, transfixed at the unusual sight.

“Over here!” He heard and the tug on his arm pulled him from the trance.

Xander was lifting a wide piece of wood that looked like it may have been a table top at one time. “We need to patch her, and fast.” He explained.

Will nodded and took up the opposite end of the wide cut wood then backed up towards the rushing water.

He passed through it, trying to keep his balance as the force of the water made him weave side to side trying not to be pushed to the ground. Holding the wood in front of the gushing liquid was no easier. Even with both men using every ounce of their strength it took several tries before wood came into contact with wood.

The men strained holding the broken table top in place. Xander turned quickly so that his hands were free and lifted a mallet with a heavy head from a pouch at his side. He then reached to the other side where another plain brown pouch hung and lifted out a large metal spike.

William watched as Xander struggled to gain enough purchase to hit the metal into the wood. Unfortunately he slid sideways and nearly lost hold altogether causing Will to strain against the wall. “Hand ‘eh ‘ere.” He grunted.

Xander turned slightly and decided to let him have a go. He leaned all his weight against the board and gave William a nod.

In a swift move Xander was unsure he’d actually seen William had the nail embedded deeply into the wood not even splintering the grain.

Xander handed over three more of the oversized nails and moved aside letting the new man have at it.

He could do nothing but stare when the patch was firmly in place. Water still leaked in around the edges, but it was a trickle in comparison. His eyes were big and he was obviously impressed. Quietly he spoke “Well done.”

~~`~~

William leaned on the railing along the edge of the ship and watched the now gentle waves as they sailed on. The night had been long for him. The storm itself was fleeting. No sooner had he checked his tethers after going back to the main deck then the sky cleared. The waves were slightly choppy for another couple of hours, but once he was settled into an empty bunk among his new roommates sleep only came with a struggle.

He’d lain listening to the snores of Parker and Larry and another man named Woods. But Will could only lie there, wondering where the woman had gone. How she slept, where she hid herself once the storm had passed. He’d looked but hadn’t seen her at all. He couldn’t ask if anyone else had. He was lost on it.

Even now, after his second full day on The Watcher, and too tired to stand without leaning on the banister, he doubted he’d sleep well. His body ached in a familiar way telling him he’d put in some hard hours, and yet he knew he’d not be able to settle his mind enough for rest.

A breeze caught him, and blew his hair in his face yet again. He was going to need to do something about that soon. The only reason he’d not had to worry last evening was that the water plastered his hair back, but on dry days, which he preferred; his hair always seemed to find his line of sight.

“Will?” He turned and saw Oz waiting for him.

“Aye.”

“The Captain wants to see you.”

“The Captain? I didn’t figure he was onboard now. Haven’t seen ‘im.”

Oz just nodded. “Come on.”

He didn’t think about it, just followed the shorter man towards the room opposite the Captain’s Quarters. Oz knocked quietly, and opened the door for William, patting him on the shoulder for good luck, then closed the door.

Will stood just at the door as he took in the area. There was a large rectangular table set long ways in the center of a good sized room with several chairs available. In one chair was Xander sitting with his hands folded neatly on the table. Along with the pirate’s hands were a pitcher and several gold goblets, some decorated with jewels. For snacking he saw a bowl with some apples and a bunch of bananas, but nothing else.

The room was simple, and except for the line of windows revealing the sky ahead of them, had little to offer. There was a door to his left, he noted, but no other remarkable features. Taking all of this into account, and the fact that Xander was the only other present, Will remained still.

Xander tried to look serious. For some reason he always had trouble with this part. Well he’d only done it twice. Before it was Scabs’ job, but now it was his. “William, I’d like to officially invite you to become a part of our little crew here, but there are some things you need to understand.” Xander started his speech, and Will looked on and waited.

~~`~~

She was giggling again. Buffy shook her head even though the red head couldn’t see it. “Willow, shh.” She said quietly.

“I’m sorry Buff, but I can’t help it. I’m afraid I have a case of the giggles.” She confessed within the confines of the storage closet. “Plus, then no more hiding away in the galley. Faith is starting to drive me batty.”

“I know. Now hush, I need to listen.”

“Right.”

~~`~~

“We struggle to keep a certain amount of anonymity here. So your trust is of utmost importance, along with a bout of loyalty that asks much of one man.” Xander started the practiced speech, then motioned to one of the empty chairs across from him. Will didn’t hesitate to take one of the seats, now feeling that he’d at least avoided the threat of being tossed off the ship.

As William sat across from the hospitable man, Xander poured a generous amount of a red liquid into one of the golden cups sporting a ring of rubies around its stem. Will took it graciously, and downed a hardy gulp. “I can guess its red wine, but I’ll have to admit ignorance past that bit.” He said taking another good drink and setting the proffered liquid down, then added. “That and its got a good taste to it.”

Xander nodded his approval. “See, I like you. You’re honest. That’s a good strong point in your favor.” He said as he stood and took tentative steps towards the door to his side. “And you didn’t go hiding away during that bout last night either. Got right into it, did as ordered, and a bit more.”

Will quirked en eyebrow at this last part. “More?”

Xander, now directly in front of the side door, but still facing the man he was interrogating, opened it just enough for a familiar figure in an oversized black hat to come out, but to hide the small closet’s other occupant.

She walked the short distance to the table and sat in the seat next to Xander’s quietly.

Poor William was soon at a loss. Perhaps he hadn’t quite avoided that tossing off the side he thought he had. He had wide eyes, unsure of exactly what the man in charge, who seemed to be Xander, expected, and looked to him to try and guess what it was he should be doing, or saying. Unfortunately the man Will saw as the one in charge gave no clue as to what he should do.

Xander watched the conflicting thoughts run over the wanna-be-pirate’s face as he took his seat once more.

He’d at first thought it was too soon to let the poor man be tested, but because he’d already seen Buffy, she’d decided the schedule had to be pushed ahead. Especially since they really didn’t have time to go looking for another member before they attacked the ship they were headed for.

When the set of blue eyes seemed fused to the brim of the large black hat hiding its occupant, Xander decided it was time to move on. “So I say again, William, Will, and it has even been suggested you be called Spike because of that trick you pulled last night patching up the ship,” Xander shook his head and looked back at the now closed closet before going on, “You did as ordered, and more. Such as, made a discovery…?”

At this, Will sputtered, something he’d only been known to do when completely frazzled. Not one of his thought could be made out at first, but he soon was able to gather all the merry little pictures in his head and form solid ideas.

One: They’d found the girl.

Two: They knew he had found the girl.

Three: She was now being held in that small room, who knew for what use?

When he’d been able to suss it all out, he came to one very clear conclusion, looked up at the man again, and sneered. “Bollix.”

The hat chuckled.

Xander looked over at the hat, gave it a reprimanding look, then glared at William. “Pardon?”

Will stood up, and nearly knocked over the chair and the drink. “You ‘eard me! Bollix, and to the whole thing. I’ll take a leap myself if you for one instant try to convince me that you didn’t know she was here the ‘ole time.”

The hat chuckled again, a little longer this time before quieting.

Xander raised a brow at the man now standing across from him. “Well, you got that one quick.” He said. “At least you aren’t an imbecile, but how’d you get that so fast?”

Will shrugged. “No way you coulda known I’d seen ‘er. Never got long enough look at me to point me out, and didn’t exactly go through introductions.” He straightened his back. “But I won’t be staying.” He said simply. “I’ll take a boat, or the nearest stretch of land we meet, and I think I’ll be taking the lady with me.”

Now this was a bit of a shock to Xander. Mostly because it was very close to the statement he’d made himself once upon a time. “Oh you will, will you? Want her for yourself then?”

Although the idea wasn’t overly displeasing, it was fleeting. “Hardly you wanker. No lady should be hid away for your personal amusement. Not you or this captain of yours.”

The black hat wiped up in an instant. “Hey now. The captain has a huge heart. The biggest I’ve seen, and no one, especially some skinny little newcomer, is going to say different.”

Once again, plain shock was on Will’s face as he looked at a pale young thing with bits of red hair escaping the confines of the kerchief.

Red kept her eyes trained on the man, who appeared to only be a few inches taller then she. He was skinny, but she was pretty sure that in a fair fight, she would be in serious trouble. That didn’t detour her look of stubbornness.

No one would say anything negative about Buffy. No matter what. And if worse came to worse, Xander would save her. Or Oz. Or Larry. Maybe not Parker, but Woods was nice and always willing to step in when needed. Not to mention the other half dozen or so people on board.

Will finally was able to get his brain to confirm that, no, this was not the woman he had seen. Which meant there were at least 2 women being held on the ship, and the poor things had no way to escape a brood of men. Especially in the middle of the ocean, locked up in a small room. He didn’t even register what Willow had said.

And then his eyes went to the side door, before he was able to ground out a few words past his gritted teeth. “Exactly how many women you keeping on this hunk of wood?”

Then the door swung open, and once again He was completely void of clear thought. At this rate his head may truly explode, and he might welcome the break.

“I think you were wrong about this one Xander.” Buffy came out with her regular black slacks and white blouse, but she lacked the vest or hat, keeping her hair tied back with a thin strap of leather.

“Oh Buff, come on.” Willow pouted a little before giggling again. “He’s gonna save us.” She said dramatically, waving her arms about.

“Not helping Wills, really.” Xander stated quietly.

Buffy stood behind her friends and eyed William while he sat there trying to figure out what the hell was going on. “Seem confused friend.” She began and quirked her head to the side. “Something on your mind?”

Will shook his head slowly, then stopped and once again looked over the three others occupying the room. “You’re the captain? Aren’t you?” He stated the question to Xander, but then looked up to the blonde standing with her hands on her hips.

She grinned back. “That I am.”

“But it was you I saw?” He asked Buffy then looked back at Willow who had managed to quell her laughter for the moment. “But in that getup.”

Buffy commented to Xander. “Oh, he’s a quick one.”

Spiked looked her over incredulously. “And what’s all this, some bleedin’ test. Mess with the new one’s minds? Have us going knackers trying to figure out what’s going on when beautiful women drop into our laps?”

Buffy frowned at the last comment before going on. “The test is simple. And so far, you have failed.”

“Buff-“ Xander was about to protest but one look from the ranting blonde shut him up.

“Weren’t you about to hide the presence of a stowaway from your own captain?” She accused Will with no warning.

He tried to defend himself. “You weren’t some stowaway. I didn’t have a chance to fi-“

“And then did you not assume you should save us. What was your plan?” She continued. “If you had been our rescuer,” She motioned to Willow. “We would have been killed before leaping over the side to, what, swim for it?”

“Could have lifted one of the little boats.” He suggested.

“Then been shot while rowing away. Much better plan.” She commented snidely.

“Look, its moot now as it is. You obviously don’t need rescuing, but your sanity I might question.” Will was getting tired of it. At this point he was back to pondering leaping into the water of his own accord once again. In fact, a good tussle with a shark seemed like the better option while being berated by the captain.

Buffy lowered her eyes to him, and nodded. “Alright then. If you wish to leave, you may. If not, you are welcome among the crew.” She said as though it was the most obvious conclusion.

“What?” Will said baffled.

Buffy straightened up. “What say you?”

“I agree.” Willow confirmed.

Xander nodded. “Ay.”

Buffy only waited for Will to answer. “Well then, Spike?” She quirked one corner of her mouth at the name she’d decided on for him.

She of course, had her own reason for approving of the unusual name. Even with the debacle that had revealed her to him, she could not have missed the sharp pressure against her bottom as she sat on his lap. Not that she had any intention of letting her crew in on that little bit of information. “Do you agree to stay, or swim?”

William just stared at her wide eyed. The sun was setting, and the room that had been brightly lit through the windows was now becoming home to several long shadows along the floor and walls. Somehow, these shadows became almost like friends to William as he sensed them surrounding him. Seemingly protecting him. He decided he liked the dark, he liked shadow.

Anonymity. Xander had said it. Here he could hide. And he even had been renamed. A strange name, to say the least. But not one that anyone would ever guess as his either. He considered the name a little, smiled at it’s meaning, and made the decision.

For a split second he hated the idea. But that moment left quickly, and when he looked away from the woman who’d met his stare and held it while he contemplated, he began a shift in his posture and overall body language.

He leaned back in the seat and stretched out one leg, then gave the captain a sideways smile before quirking his head to the side much like she had moments before. He eyed each of them. “I think I’ll stick around. At the very least, there’s a bit more excitement to be had then would be in drowning.”

“Well alright then.” Xander smiled broadly and glanced over at Willow who was smiling warmly at Spike, Xander and Buffy in turn.

Buffy, glad the bit was over, was ready to move on and inform Spike of some things. The job was the first thing up. “Welcome aboard then Will.”

“Na.” He interrupted her and gave her a lavations grin. “I think I like Spike.”

She reddened just a little and nodded. “Alright then Spike, we’re set up for a meeting of sorts. Shouldn’t take more then 4 more days before we reach the rendezvous.”

Willow picked up the description. “Yeah, but, its less a meeting and more of a..”

Xander shook his head. “It’s not like we’re hiding the fact we’re pirates. No need to be cryptic.”

“We’re gonna be robbin’ them then ‘eh?” Spike decided to step in.

“Right.” The captain agreed.


Chapter End Notes:
Alright.. bring on the pain. Also, I am planning on updating again on Thursday. Akoshta will be up by tomorrow.