Author's Chapter Notes:
Ok, I would call the previous 7 chapters the setup. Now the true adventures begins, and I once again want to thank everyone for the comments and reviews. They make me think quite a bit about the set up and the plot, but while i appriciate suggestions for characters I am afraid that as far as they go, it is set. Just trust that I love Spike and Buffy together, and i love putting the entire cast in really bad spots. I hope this does not detour you from reading.
William had fitful dreams the entire night. He’d been completely unable to get the deep feeling of foreboding from his mind. Something was very wrong, and he knew that he was going to hate it when the truth came to light.

The morning meal was filled with excitement as the crew discussed the raid that would be happening any day now.

He’d actually expected a more solemn atmosphere with the events just in the horizon, but apparently this bunch enjoyed not only the spoils but the battles that got them what they were after. The only thing that truly disconcerted him in the kitchen though, was the odor coming from a boiling pot in which Willow was dropping sliced roots and powders he couldn’t put names to.

“Come on Spike.” Xander called from the stairs leading down into the belly of the boat. “We’ve got some work to do and I need to fill you in on what’s going to happen.” The dark haired man finished with a mischievous grin, and turned knowing the newcomer would follow.

Without a word Spike stood from the group he’d been eating with and walked in the dimly lit entrance to what looked like a wall, except he was sure it shouldn’t have been there. Xander pulled a board out of it’s niche and pushed it up just enough that a handle was revealed. A simple rot iron cylinder that was pulled back and allowed a door to be opened, but was obviously hidden from those who didn’t know it existed.

“Brilliant.” Spike commented and peered around the jam to see a hidden room.

“Comes in handy. It’s where the translators go during raids. Worst comes to worse they are the last people we want taken hostage. Too much information in their noggins. You know?”

Spike shook his head not understanding.

Xander pointed out the inside of the door and its lack of a handle. “Once you’re in, you’re in until you’re let out.”

“Don’t trust them then?”

“Actually it was Jonathan’s idea. He’s a little guy, and he knows his limits and told me straight forward that if he was tortured he just couldn’t trust himself to keep quiet.”

“That so?”

Xander first lit, then turned the oil lamp in the far right up so the flame filled the room with an orange glow then moved to another in the far left and repeated the process. Soon the tiny space had enough illumination to get a good view.

Spike looked about the small area. If absolutely necessary he supposed the entire crew could huddle in hiding down here, but doubted anyone would volunteer for that in the space provided.

One side of the area was stacked high with crates and trunks. The back wall was covered with parchment tacked into the walls and lined with a long table with feather quills and ink along with scrolls scattered haphazardly on the surface. The remaining wall had what seemed to be spare bunks with older ratty blankets he supposed would do in a pinch.

“Not the most comfortable place in the world,” Xander commented and moved towards the trunks easily taking one down and unlatched it. “But the only ones who really use it are the ones that don’t join in on raids.”

Spike walked over to the tables not paying much attention to what Xander was doing but still listening. “They do their work down here then?”

Xander started going through the contents of the trunk but looked up to see Spike moving the papers around, trying to read the words that had been scribbled down. “Yeah, it’s quiet down here. And once those boys get started they really don’t like being disturbed.”

Spike nodded absentmindedly and gave up trying to read the badly scrawled script. He turned to see Xander holding up two very stylish dresses with embroidered lace and finely decorated skirts. “I think the green would go better with your eyes.” The blonde said sarcastically and gave a short chuckle.

“Yeah, I usually go with the blue but I think you’re right. You take the blue.” Xander said and tossed the silken dress the short distance to Spike who barely caught it as the words penetrated his mind.

Spike stood there holding the garment trying to understand what the first mate was playing at. “Look, I’ve heard the sea can make a man lonely but there’s no way I signed up for this particular duty.”

Xander always got a kick out of this part of explaining how things worked on this ship. “You said anything, you’d do it.”

A look of pure horror crossed Spike’s face before he threw his shoulders back and stood his ground. “I’d sooner take that swim.”

Xander was impressed, and decided to let his blonde friend off the hook more easily then he’d let most. “It’s not all as bad as you think, it’s a bit of trickery on our part. For getting aboard The Premiere,” Xander began explaining.

~~`~~

Buffy stood in the galley’s doorway for a moment clutching the drawing in her hand, still not sure if her plan was brilliant or moronic. Either way it was simple and if she was lucky at all Hank Summers would have one more ghost haunting him. It was that final thought that gave Buffy the inspiration to walk into the galley and to the kitchen, “Hey Wills, how’s it coming?”

The red head dropped a dried ashen root into the bubbling pot then looked over her shoulder quickly smiling. “So far so good. I’m nearly done. Just two more things and-“ she plucked up a handful of green leaves the size of pebbles from one of the small pouches lying on the table beside she then spoke silently as they dropped into the mixture, floating on the surface then seemingly being sucked downward by an inexplicable force. “Once sight seen , seen sight of heed.” She closed her eyes and repeated then opened and watched the liquid’s boil stop immediately.

Buffy was familiar with the process by now, but it never ceased to draw her interest. How this woman had been able to gain all this knowledge, and what power she must wield. It almost frightened her sometimes.

Willow spun grinning. “All done.” She said and gave a mock salute. “Captain.”

“Well then I have one small request,” Buffy began and unrolled the drawing. “Brown hair, fairly pale but, I’m not sure, with a glow?”

“A glow?”

“She’s a kid, innocent and happy. I’m not sure if ‘glow’ is the right word.” Buffy quickly explained.

Willow looked on in confusion. “This is different, Buffy. What’s going on?”

The captain shook here head. “I can’t say, not now. I promise though, after this raid, I’ll explain everything, to all of you.”

This didn’t calm the witch at all. “Buffy, if something is going on-?”

“Don’t worry. No one is in any danger. Well, no more then usual anyway.” She tried to reassure.

Willow hesitated, looked again at the picture in her hands, then to Buffy. There was something in the girl‘s face, she couldn’t place what, but something. A moment passed with only the rhythmic echoes of waves crashing against the hull then Willow found herself nodding her assent. “Alright.”

Buffy smiled. “Good, thanks.”

“You’ll need to help, I’ll need more details if it’s this important.”

Buffy followed her back into the kitchen describing the glamour she was hoping the red head could achieve.

~~`~~

The crew was in wait. Oz had sighted the incoming vessel, grand as it was and set to defend it’s cargo. “I saw 10 on deck, armed. Some sailors were at position on the canons. Looks like they knew we were coming.”

Buffy nodded. “I was counting on them knowing. That’s why we do ‘The Demure’ this time.”

She turned to her men and told them to get ready. Slowly the men filed into the conference room, and the ladies headed towards her personal chambers.

Once inside the ladies adorned themselves with finery that Buffy rarely pulled out of her personal stash. Hair was held back with jeweled combs carefully carved from shells and molded from gold.

Each girl had their personal choice of daily clothing and each discarded it for this day. Fluff and silk that all had happily avoided was tightened and secured around them.

Faith wore deep maroon with an elegance she seemed to have pulled out of thin air. Willow and her emerald bodice were breathtaking. Buffy was the last one prepared in baby blue with a white lace draped over her bodice that contrasted the other two girls in the hopes of drawing attention of a trusted crew member.

Buffy looked them over and gave Willow a nod. At that, the red head began a chant, pulling out three vials from her normal attire now lying on Buffy’s bed. One was marked as to assure it would be drunk by the captain, whose concoction had been specially prepared. The three girls downed the drink with a distasteful scrunch of their noses.

“One of these days Will, you are going to have to find a way to make this stuff taste better.” Buffy said after shaking her head a bit hoping the taste would somehow be jolted from her mouth.

The Ex-whore eyed the miniature glass tube. “Come on Buffy. I’ve had a lot worse in my mouth.”

Buffy and Willow both eyed Faith with curious looks.

“You don’t want to know.” The brunette said honestly.

Buffy only closed her eyes a moment before looking to Willow. “We ready?”

She nodded, and began the chant. “This ship, enchanted, others visions granted, but for the,” she paused checking with Buffy for confirmation. When she saw the quirk of a smile she continued. “The girl whose entrance I’ve granted.” She took a deep calming breath. “Croshell.”

A shiver went through each of them, but they all remained the same. Buffy ran to her door and threw it open, then looked back to the ladies. “Willow, you are a genius.” The girls came out following their captain.

The witch took in a breath from the shock of her own work. The entire vessel was a shambles. Smoke filtered up from the sides and the sails were torn and scorched. The remnants of thick cloth flapped against the wind like broken wings, loose and weak.

“Nice one Willow.” Faith agreed nodding and carefully stepped over what looked to have once been part of the mast.

All at once the door to the meeting room opened and a slew of women came filing out. Not exactly the most beautiful bunch of women, but considering The Premier had been out for quite some time it wouldn’t matter. Xander came up to her first with a grin. “So, how do we look Buff?”

She still wanted to laugh every time. Each of the boys looked much like themselves, but in her eyes and Willows and Faith’s as well, it was like meeting a twin sister of each of the men aboard The Watcher. While still tall and broad the ship’s first mate’s features took on a more feminine quality and so had the bodice of the gown he wore. Full round breasts pushed forward giving no clue as to his real gender.

Over her shoulder were the rest of the men. They acted like children tugging on their own clothing and each others. She spied Larry who couldn’t seem to keep his skirt from getting caught on something, and Parker who was carefully smoothing out his sleeves. The others were more or less just waiting and rambling about how uncomfortable they were. All except Oz, who found Willow and was having a calm conversation with the witch.

Buffy suddenly realized William was nowhere to be seen. “What happened to Spike?” She asked her first mate.

“Oh, yeah.” Xander cleared his throat. “Well, he says, he’s not coming out.”

Buffy raised her eyebrows. “He says that, does he?”

“Yes Ma’am.”

Buffy sighed. “Guess I’ll have to have a talk with him. You get the men spread out. Don’t. Touch. Anything.” She peered back at the fast approaching ship that had obviously changed its course enough to help the seemingly desperate ship. “And get Andrew and Jonathan stowed away.”

“Right,” He turned and dashed off, while Buffy headed in to talk to Spike.

As soon as she entered the meeting room she had to stifle a laugh. There he was, or she was rather, leaned back in her chair of all things, legs spread and arms crossed.

He looked up, seeing her white gloved hand covering her mouth. “Looks bloody ridiculous dun’nit?”

Buffy shut the door behind her and stepped into the room carefully. “William, it is only because no lady, of any stature, would sit upon a chair in such a manner.” Buffy said with a lilt in her practiced speaking.

Her formality was enough to get his attention. He took a longer gaze at her and without prompt, slowly stood up with his eyes raking over her as though he’d found water in the dry hot desert.

When Buffy saw him rise, she assumed it was because he respected her position on the ship and so she began her own version of a pep-talk. She explained the reasons for this type of situation. The costumes were needed. Also Buffy went on with that, despite his discomfort now, he would be enjoying the fruits of their combined labor. To do so all he had to do was wait and be ready, and then fight if it was needed.

She paced back and forth during her speech and all he could do was stare as the gowns made the most lovely sounds when they brushed around her. Then she turned and faced him and continued talking, and his eyes drew up over her breasts, up her long graceful neck and to her mouth, to her ever moving mouth.

It was then he snapped up out of his revere and looked to her eyes. Hazel eyes with enough green to lock you in. He had to stop himself from loosing his thoughts in her eyes. His brain suddenly snapped with a painful pinch back into motion and he blurted out “Ye’, got it Captain. Being a sod is all.” He quickly made his departure and headed out in search of the other men.

He didn’t make it very far, only about 2 steps from the threshold when he stopped dead in his tracks and surveyed the destruction. Buffy came up behind him as he looked over the bodies, just a few, that lay about. “Part of Red’s trick of the eyes?” He asked eyes wide.

“Yeah.” Buffy said quietly. “Looks solid, feels solid, but it’s not there. Just remember that.”

He nodded in silence.

“It’s about the only way I can stand seeing The Watcher in this condition. It’s just not real.” She shared.

There was a pause while Buffy eyed the ship floating towards them now only minutes from meeting them. “Go on and find Xander. He’ll make sure your armed.”

Spike stole a look back at her, then headed for Xander who stood near the steps down into the ship.

Buffy met Willow and Faith standing by the rail and began waving to the ship coming to help them. Arms stretched high above her head, wailing like a scared child. It wasn’t hard. She easily pulled up memories and emotions from her first true fear of the boat she now called home
.
~~`~~

“What’s that Lindsey?”

“Ladies, sir. The compliment seems to be female only.” The young man handed over his scope and let the captain see for himself.

Captain Rayne’s vision targeted the bridge of the nearly destroyed vessel smoldering in the distance. Billows of black smoke spread as the wind carried it westward. Ash had gathered at the bow and several bodies could be seen strewn about the visible portions of the deck.

In a swift practiced motion Ethan brought the scope down and closed it in the palm of his hand. “Correct our course to intercept.” He scrutinized the vision far off with his naked eye and added with a turn of his head, gaze serious as he spoke to his first mate. “And be sure to remind the men we are a crew of gentlemen.”

“Yes, sir,” Lindsey nodded and turned to distribute orders.

Ethan reviewed the situation, watching as the black smoke turned a strange blue hue rising towards the clouds. It wasn’t the most unlikely sight and certainly not the first time he’d seen a ship barley afloat after a hit by pirates. The women aboard seemed quite flustered while moving about in haggard groups. Something had definitely happened. The men had been slaughtered but the women…? He couldn’t fathom why they had been left, let alone alive. It was a signal for him to stay on guard.

There was something else, nagging in his brain. He felt as though he should know, now, and easily what it was. Like a word on the tip of your tongue, a name, an adjective, something he’d learned. Possibly recently, but for the life of him he couldn’t recall what it was.

Once again he was gazing through the monocular towards the ship. Women were still walking about seemingly with little purpose. All but three who were standing against the rails waving their arms in hopes of gaining attention the black and blue cloud above them might not have drawn.

And then he felt the familiar tug in the boards bellow signaling his ship’s change of heading. With the same motion that secured the eyepiece he was soon grasping a compact scope and striding towards his men now gathering the plank used to depart or board the ship at dock. They were preparing to try to use it to more easily board the strange vessel of woman and hopefully provide assistance.

~~`~~

“My goodness, it’s so heavy!” Willow said a bit too loudly as she positioned the plank connecting the two bobbing ships. Each end was tied down and jammed into place as best could be done before a group sailors from the transport ship Premiere, began crossing to the seemingly helpless women.

Buffy glanced at Willow giving her an eye roll and tried not to laugh. The red head was always a little jittery when they first began execution of this particular plan, all 2 times before. But they’d decided on the first try that the ladies should be the first to greet whoever came across, just in case something went off with Willow’s glamour.

But once again, everything seemed to be holding out well. Buffy could tell several of the crewmen on the rescue ship were eyeing her crewmen, which was just something else that made her have to work hard not to let out a fit of giggles.

Faith was doing her part. She always seemed to have a natural charisma with every man she met. It was a talent Buffy supposed she’d picked up due to her previous career, but it was useful. Buffy watched on as the dark haired former whore got herself held while she spilled tears in the Captain of The Premier’s arms.

It was then she realized what looked to be the first mate of the other captain was trying to talk to her. “It’s alright Miss, I know this all must be a shock.” He was saying. Buffy had been paying so much attention to how smoothly everything was going she’d completely forgotten her part in it all.

This seemed to have worked in her advantage though, for the man currently consoling her was under the impression he was trying to bring this obviously traumatized girl out of her trauma. “We’ll just need to get you to the safety of The Premiere, Miss. You’ll be just fine, on my honor.”

Buffy was staring at him now, the face of her alternate personality of the fearful weaker sex firmly in place. She quickened her breath and began to look around as though seeing her ship in a shambles for the first time. “I don’t know what happened. One moment we were discussing preparations for the evening meals, the men were insisting on serving us some sort of gruel that could not possibly pass for sustenance,” She was explaining as the first mate slowly walked her across the tenuously shifting bridge, his arm around her waist and his free hand gripping hers as they walked. “And then, oh my goodness, it was all so, I can’t ,sire. Please don’t make me tell you.”

Lindsey could plainly see what had happened. The women were in a state of complete fear and the crew was slaughtered. How they had not sunk was beyond belief for the wood smoldered and burned all around.

He saw that most of the women had already been brought aboard, only a few stranglers who seemed to be less trusting of his well dressed comrades were on the burning transport. He lowered the girl down carefully and she gracefully sat on a barrel before dropping her head in her hands effectively hiding her face. “Of course Miss, you do not need to share it with me, at least not now. Firstly, we’ll make sure all of the survivors are brought across.

As he said this, he eyed one of the men having a particular problem with a blonde who seemed even less happy to be lead across the plank.

~~`~~

“I can bloody well do it myself.” Spike said, then realized that a woman would not speak like that. He quickly recovered. “I’m so sorry,” He tried to say in the most feminine way he could muster, trying to remember how the mistress of his former home had gotten her way when the master was less then giving. “I should never have used such language, but all of this terribleness. It can bring out such,” he tried to grasp the word he was looking for, but only came back to say. “Such terribleness.”

The stout sailor seemed to take his words well and simply tried again to put his arm around Spike’s trim and firm female waist.

With a resigning sigh Spike allowed the action and walked across the makeshift bridge feeling very much the poofter. The trip seemed to take longer then the wait for this plunder had. Each step he took was like his masculinity being pealed from his skin.

Once across he quickly freed himself from the grasp of the little man who’d acted as his guide then smiled while trying to thank him, “ever so.” Then backed away waiting for the signal. His eyes roamed over the somewhat familiar female versions of his mates, and then to the ones who actually were born with the gender they were displaying.

Willow had moved off to the side with two sailors, and Oz was predictably at her side while getting the once over by one of their rescuers. It was a sight that brought a chuckle up to his throat. Spike contained it and eyed Faith, who seemed to have procured more then one admirer including the Captain of The Premiere. Xander, Parker and Larry were standing among them at the ready.

He found Buffy last, still sitting near the framed opening binding the board connecting the ships. No one had moved them yet, too distracted by the numerous women out in the middle of nowhere. “She’d better get the show on the road.” He mumbled to himself just as he saw the strangest thing.

There was a girl, a young girl, now sitting in Buffy’s place. Dark brown hair now sat on his captain’s head and when she finally lifted her eyes and dropped her hands in her lap he saw that it was most definitely not Buffy. His smile grew broad and he stood up letting the hidden dagger slide out from the cuff of his gown. After the walk across to this ship, and the ridiculous outfit he was forced to wear, not to mention the fact he was sure the stocky escort he had was trying to get his hand a little higher then he thought was appropriate during the crossing of the bridge, had he actually been a female…. Yes, a spot of violence was in order. Before he started considering why he cared about that last bit.

Everything happened at once. One minute Lindsey looked down to see an unfamiliar dark haired girl, blinked, and it was once again the blonde, followed by two words uttered quietly from his mouth, “What the…?”

The next moment Faith was complaining of the terrible pain in her leg and was offering to show the ogling men as she pulled up one side of her skirt, and the next moment each man had a knife to his throat as Faith moved and gripped the captain around the neck while simultaneously pulling the dagger from her garter and holding it to his jugular.

The unsuspecting audience who had been eagerly listening to Faith’s every word and had anticipated a lovely view of her legs soon found that the women they had brought across each had a hidden weapon that was now threatening to spill their blood.

Lindsey turned at the sounds of yelps and words questing what was happening. It only took him a second to begin to react, reaching for the single shot pistol . His hand was stopped just before his fingers reached the holster, by Buffy’s grip which twisted him around as though they were having a twirl in a dance, only she was leading.

His pistol was soon overboard and Buffy was brandishing a knife now positioned so that with one movement he would have a gushing wound in an amazingly bad place. Right across his throat.


Chapter End Notes:
Weeeeeee. To Be Continued.