~*~

Supper went smoothly, if smoothly meant having to put up with the bubbly teen whose eyes bore into you trying to read your very mind. He had a sneaking suspicion that the bit knew something was up even though he and Buffy had decided mutually not to tell anyone that they were…what were they doing exactly? They weren't dating, not even close. Keeping company? Close enough.

Maybe there was something more apparent to others looking in from the outside. Could it be the possible lack of crying from the slayer, or the angry, hateful looks from both of them or the screaming and yelling back and forth as well as the decrease in anxiety and rigid posturing around one another? A likelihood now that things were a bit more tame around the Summers' home since before. Well it never really was tame around chez la Summers at all but that's what made it all interesting and kept them on their toes day after day.

Now, as Buffy walked up in front of him slightly, she tried her best to suppress a fit of giggles over Dawnie's demeanor and final salutations as they began to leave the house. Spike growled as he caught up with the slayer, trying to catch a glimpse of her face but she wouldn't look at him.

"Don't keep her out too late and have fun on your---"patrolling"! she says," Spike did his best nibblet impression, high voice and all.

Too much. Buffy burst out laughing and had to stop and bend over to catch her breath, tears of delight forming in her eyes. Spike had turned to face her, arms crossed defiantly across his chest and shaking his head. Buffy stood, the laughter subsiding when she noticed he wasn't joining in. She took a deep, shuddering breath.

"Sorry, my sister seems to be all knowing sometimes. I swear I didn't tell her a thing. And really what is there to tell? We're just going out to patrol and talk, right?"

Spike smiled, and Buffy glared at him. "C'mon slayer. We've got "patrolling" to do." He made air quotes around the word patrolling to show her he was bemused by the whole parody. "Let's see what happens in Act II, shall we?"

**^**

An hour into their patrol, only a handful of vampires had wagered a confrontation with the duo and that handful now appeared as dust cluttering the cemetery grounds.

"Well, pet, looks like a slow night. Not much to get the adrenaline pumping, eh?"

"You know, I always knew you had a big mouth," she shook her head.

He looked at her with mock hurt as she pointed behind him. He followed her finger and his eyes settled on a cluster of vamps that had apparently just came from a bar or had raided a kegger by their inebriated state and slurred words. Spike turned to crash the party just as Buffy grasped his forearm and pulled him back.

"Uh-uh. Got this one under control since you had to go and open your mouth to jinks us." Buffy marched towards the gang of unsuspecting bloodsuckers who began to hoot and holler, cajoling the slayer to do her worst.

"What?...I didn't. Well, whatever. Give a holler if you need my help then, pet. I'll just be right over here watching." Spike leaned up against a headstone, pulled a cigarette out and lit it as he watched the fearless gait of the slayer moving towards the band of buggered.

In a blink of an eye, two of the cretins were blowing in the wind not knowing what had hit them. 'Where in bloody hell did she pull that stake out from?', Spike mused, cigarette dangling from his open mouth precariously. So agile, so swift, hands and feet were flying through the air. Four against one didn't seem like much of a fair fight if you were any normal person. But this exquisite embodiment of a warrior in stylish girl's clothing was anything but run-of-the-mill.

Spike was astounded; amazed that he had never taken the time to really appreciate her fighting abilities. Oh he had watched her fight before plenty of times, knew she was resourceful, fast and clever. But this was all in all something completely different. An appreciation, a high level of admiration was coursing through his mind.

He was lost in his reverie of Buffy when he noticed she was struggling, she was in trouble. The last two remaining had her in their clutches and they tossed her down to the ground like she was garbage. He saw her head bounce off a grave marker and swift as lightning he was up and running but froze suddenly when she flipped herself back up, and stood her ground, ready and waiting for them to charge her. Stupid gits, if they knew any better they'd take off running with their tails between their legs. Ah well, guess they didn't know much.

As they charged her, she took a couple of steps towards them, and with precision, flipped up and around, her legs knocking them simultaneously on their chests. She finished the trapeze act, landing on her feet as the vampires flew through the air incapacitated and flat on their backs but if only momentarily. Enough time for her to pounce, withdrawing a second stake from heaven knows where and piercing there cold hearts.

Buffy stood and brushed herself off, sneezing as the remnants of vampire dust blew off her clothes.

"Now that was a spectacle, a pure phenomenon. Amazing, luv. You, if I had any, take my breath away." Spike stood there in complete awe of this slayer.

Buffy beamed, blushed then proudly curtsied to her audience. She began to wave her hand in the air as if she had been crowned Miss America.

"Thank you, thank you, I'd like to thank the academy for this wonderful award for kicking some demon ass. Without…"

"Oh, shut your gob and let's get out of here before your head explodes. And I thought I was vain and pretentious." Spike placed his hand over his heart. "I taught you well, grasshopper."

Buffy rolled her eyes and then smiled her biggest smile. "Please," she said sarcastically. She motioned for him to follow her out of the cemetery.

"Yes, let's do get out of here before any other filthy or drunken demons figure they want to play."

They walked side by side down the street until they came to Weatherly Park and Buffy veered off their path as she headed towards a picnic table close to the playground. Spike followed suit, knowing she must be ready to sit and talk, either that or a need to rest after the tumultuous battle she had endured all on her own.

As he approached the table, he noticed she had sprawled herself out across the top of it, arms dangling over the sides. Must be tired, need rejuvenated. He chuckled at the display.

"Exhausted, pet?" Spike straddled the seat closest to her head as he glanced up at the night sky to stare at the twinkling stars.

"Mmhmm, sorry. It did wear me out a bit, need to revitalize my poor, sore, aching body. And my head hurts."

"Well, it should, took quite a hit on one of those headstones. You alright?" she heard worry creep into his voice and liked it. She smiled as she pondered the turn of events recently that day. The gift of his journal, the nice bit of conversation in the basement, his expressions of admiration after her slayage in the cemetery and now a hint of worry. She drank it all in and wrapped her arms around it, feeling more and more confident of things to come between them.

She sat up quickly and swung her legs around towards him, one gliding over his head causing him to duck. He basically was now sitting in between her legs looking at her in complete surprise.

"Fine and dandy," she softly knocked on the side of her head. "Takes a lot to injure this thing. Hard as a rock."

Spike smirked. " Believe me, hard headed, this I remember."

Buffy giggled softly as he returned a chuckle, shaking his head and looking anywhere but at her so close to him that he could feel the warmth flowing off of her. She positively wanted to kiss him right then, her mind playing a tug of war with her heart at that very moment. Damn, the heart won out and it was racing at top speed. He must have noticed because he looked back up at her surprised as she leaned forward.

"I really want…can I…," her voice dropped suddenly and seductively she finished, "kiss you?"

Great, her impatience was on the loose as well because she didn't even give the poor guy a chance to answer before grasping his face in her warm hands and capturing his cool mouth with hers. He tensed for a mere second or two, one hand resting on the top of her shoe, the other wrapped around her ankle tightly before finally relaxing as his body, mind and soul melted into an oblivion. He didn't want to think, just wanted the act of passion and intimacy with this woman he had grown to care for, feel for in only one day, flow through him and carry him along the path of light and goodness. And that's what he felt as his lips burned and tingled, his insides fluttered; the goodness enveloping him and pulling him along. His soul sang. What a joyous and wonderful feeling.

Buffy disengaged her lips from his, but placed instead her forehead onto his, eyes tightly closed while her breathing slowed.

"I'm sorry," she whispered with a hint of fright lingering on her words. "Just needed…been too long. And you were here and I was…"

Buffy pulled back completely losing all contact. "…too needy and too fast. I'm so very sorry."

He could hear the grief in her voice as she maneuvered herself around him and away.

"Wait…Buffy!?" Spike stood and reached out to grasp her retreating form. Buffy froze as his fingers wrapped around her wrist; she didn't want to turn around and show him the weakness behind her eyes. Did not want him to see her vulnerable and lost. She felt so lost without him. She took a deep breath before spinning to face him.

"Look, don't worry about that little thing back there," Buffy waved her free hand behind his head. "Just me and my stupid…"

Spike placed his finger over her lips to halt her ramblings. "Shhhh. You talk too much, slayer. Never letting a bloke get a word in edgewise. Just blathering on and on until my ears bleed."

"Spike!?" Buffy huffed as she tilted her head to the side.

"It's just that…it's alright, luv. No problems here what-so-ever, nope, none at all. In fact, it was…nice. No, no, really, really nice," he finished in a sultry, sensual voice as he bent his legs to look her straight in the eye.

Buffy's eyes twinkled as he established an anchor onto her apprehensions and pulled her in, protecting and holding. She felt relief flood over her and knew he was there to stay and things were going to work out for them in the long run. She threw her arms around his neck and held onto him tightly.

"I promise I will keep the affections to a minimum until we’re both comfortable with one another once again." she whispered into his ear. "I can do slow. No more throwing myself at you desperately."

Spike chuckled softly. "I kinda like the slayer propelled in my general direction sometimes. I can handle it. But I do think we need to have our talk, Buffy."

She pulled back and looked up at her potential boyfriend. "Sure, we did say patrolling and conversation. So, let's converse. Um, I'm starving though. That tussle took a lot out of me. Wanna Bronze with me? If it's too noisy or over crowded we can leave and find somewhere else."

"Sounds good. I could go for some wings and a beer right bout now. Watching you scuffle around with those vamps made me hungry as well." He offered a smile to lighten the mood even more.

"To the Bronze we go then."

TBC