~*~

Surprisingly, The Bronze wasn't jumping this evening even if it was the weekend and only 10 at night. In fact, Buffy had noticed even before she took her mini hellmouth vacation and over the past few days since her return that the population of Sunnydale had declined dramatically. Not as many humans, not as many demons. Someone must have had their ear to the ground which in turn word had gotten around to others to either flee or face what may be coming.

All in all, the uncrowdy-ness of the place was perfect in Buffy's eyes and secretly in Spike's as well. Anything was better with less annoying humans to have to deal with, bumbling around, being loud and just plain, outright nuisances. Besides, he was planning on concentrating on just one human at the moment and she was standing at the bar in front of him ordering wings, nachos and drinks for the two of them. Spike scanned the place for a good table as they waited for their drinks and when she turned to hand him the beer, sliding her arm into his, he led her to one he had picked out.

No live band at The Bronze, but a DJ was spinning tunes out on the stage. A few couples were out on the dance floor getting their groove on and others were either playing pool, darts or sitting around.

"So, I guess we should get chatty, then? Anything in particular you want to talk about? Anything else besides us and our past?"

Spike looked up at her and grinned slightly. "How are you doing tonight?"

Buffy giggled softly. "I'm fine, and you?"

"Very well, thanks for asking." he chuckled too.

"Why do we sound so nervous? What do we have to be so nervous about?" Buffy enquired of him.

He shrugged his shoulders and looked at the waitress walking towards them with their food. When she left, Spike looked over at Buffy.

"I think I'm uneasy because I don't rightly know if I seriously want to hear about us…the before us." Buffy shook her head with understanding.

"I don't really blame you all that much. When I came back from the dead variety, well, things didn't turn out very nice. I mean, it was nice in the sense of good feeling nice but it wasn't nicey nice as in the nice to one another nice. Hmm, did that make any sense?" She scrunched her nose up as she tilted her head to the side.

Spike smiled at the girl, no, the woman who sat across from him. "Nicely put. Umm, how many times did you actually use that word in that descriptive analogy of yours?"

Buffy threw her napkin and watched it bounce off of his nose. Spike looked up at her in mock surprise. Hey, at least it wasn't a fist bouncing off this time. The couple burst out in a fit of laughs, releasing the uneasiness as they became comfortable with one another once again.

"Ok, agree we both need to stop being so uptight with each other?" Buffy asked him honestly.

Spike nodded in reply. "So tell me one thing, slayer, when did we become friends?"

Buffy stared off onto the dance floor, as if she was deep in thought looking back over their tumultuous relationship. "Hmm, kind of a hard question to start with. Mutually, probably when you risked yourself to keep Dawn's secret identity from the hell god. Even though you wouldn't have known it."

"Glory, I remember that, the bitch torturing me, trying to get out of me who the key was. Remember clearly. We became friends then?"

"I guess, in a way. I was thankful for what you did. Do you remember the Buffybot?"

Spike gnawed on a chicken wing, when he choked on a bite and looked at her incredulously. "Can't rightly say I do. What in bloody hell was it?"

"Think about it; Buffy + bot = a robot that you had specially built that looked like me."

"Annnndd…why would I have done that exactly?"

"Umm, I suppose you had your reasons. Probably cause…you couldn't have me in the way you could the robot."

"Have you? Oh!...ohhhhh, I…see, I think. Really? Unbelievable. Well, I've been known to do some outrageously stupid things in my past. Sorry 'bout that, pet.

"S'ok, I dealt with it. Pretty funny now that I look back on it. And thankfully you did have her made, cause she helped out the summer I was…"away"."

"Well, good then. So how did we go from that to, you know, the other thing?" Spike leaned over and snatched a thoroughly cheese covered nacho with a jalapeno slice on top of it off of her barely touched pile.

Buffy reached out quickly and slapped his hand lightly causing the pepper to flop off onto the table. "Oops. Well, when I came back, I went to you. You seemed to be the only one I could talk to at the time."

He quickly stuffed the nacho in his mouth before she tried to take it away yet she picked up the pepper instead and held her finger up with the precariously placed slice of jalapeno on her forefinger to his mouth. Unaware of what she was doing, Buffy continued talking.

"The talking turned into kissing, the kissing turned into bringing the house down, literally, and turned into a "thing"."

Spike gazed up at her through his lashes before he seductively took the tip of her spicy finger into his cool, moist mouth. He heard the slight gasp and she quickly pulled it back to delve into her nachos again. He sighed then he heard her snicker.

"You were always good at that." Buffy looked at him adoringly. His eyes softened when he realized she was okay with his display of playfulness.

"And what may "that" be, pet?"

"Always getting me flustered. Hot and bothered with your wicked, evil ways." Buffy waved her hand in the air in front of him and gave him an irresistible smile. He smirked at her and looked down at the table shying away from her alluring gaze and tantalizing voice.

"Heh, heh, I guess that's one of those bonus character traits I've improved on?"

"There's room there left for improvement!" she joked and continued to smile.

"Thanks ever so, Buffy dear."

"Yeah, but it's only one of the things out of a vast many that I love about you." Spike's head shot up, "…oh. I mean…This is nice, here, together, talking. I like it. We should do this more often when we’re not out battling demons or waiting for the next apocalypse to descend upon us." She recovered.

Silence prevailed as they sat across from each other.

"Do you? Really? Honestly, do you actually…love me?" Spike strangled on the last two words.

Buffy shook her head up and down slowly. "Mhmm, I do, actually, yes. I know positively now that I do love you, Spike. I have for a while now and never got the chance to tell you to your face. Oh, I suppose you knew, but I was stupid and blind. I'm glad I can at least tell you now. Even though you don't…"

"Buffy," Spike's voice was unusually soft, "I can very easily fall. In fact I…" He stopped and looked at her earnestly.

Spike placed his hand over his unbeating heart. "This, right now, feels so different than what I have felt at any other time, dead or alive. Yet it feels so right. I know what I had with Dru; truthfully, I would have died for her, killed for her, protected her, kept charge of her. All these things I feel deep down that I would do for you. I loved her, this I know, but it never ran deep enough to burn me, to make me feel alive. In two days, only two, I have felt like a different man because of you and yeah I said man.” He smirked slightly before continuing. “ I feel like I've known you a lifetime and I never want to ever let this feeling go, never, never let you go again. You amaze me, astound me, entice me, mesmerize and captivate me. The words I penned, I must’ve known what I was talking about, describing you, us, what we had, what we could have. And I want to know that again, want to feel that all the time. I realize we had a rough go at it the first time around pre-soul and post-soul because of The First, but would it be all right if we put that in the past and keep it there?"

Buffy, tears forming in her eyes, shook her head in an affirmative answer. "I would really like that, to begin again. A new beginning for us. I think it will be of the good."

Buffy picked up another jalapeno slice off her plate and offered it to him, candidly flirting with him this time. "Can we seal this deal?"

Spike chuckled breathlessly as he eyed her flirtatiously, the tip of his tongue poking between his teeth. He once again sucked the hot pepper off her extended digit, keeping a firm grasp on her hand as he pulled her over into the seat closest to him.

"The past is in the end now and the future is our beginning," Spike slid his free hand up along Buffy's cheek caressing, brushing his thumb across it tenderly as he leaned in closer.

"It's a deal," he whispered as their lips met, first gently touching before pulling back slightly.

Buffy placed her free hand over his resting on her face and whispered back, "Deal."

They proceeded, the kiss deepening, both oblivious to the other patrons wandering to and fro, the pulsating rhythm from the music floating through the stale air, vibrating off the walls. Buffy felt her heart throbbing, her pulse quickening. Tongues touched almost shyly at first, the pair simultaneously allowing the other to explore, pulling each other closer, wanting, giving, taking. This was something she had needed, had wanted for such a long time. She was starting to feel whole once again, and it felt nice. She was positive he felt it, too.

Buffy was the first to pull back and only because of the lack of air her body so desperately needed. They looked at each other, into each other, eyes conveying everything, every feeling, every word. He telling her he was so very sure of them, of this, sure of letting her in, sure of loving her.

"I…I love you, Buffy." He barely whispered and he saw her compassion, her devotion, her commitment behind the depths of her celadon gaze. It drew him in, surrounded him, enveloped him and comforted him, a never ending feeling. It felt like forever and he was happy with it. Actually more than happy, he was exhilarated, intoxicated, and ecstatic all at the same moment. Feelings he was sure no other vampire on the face of this earth had ever really felt. Buffy smiled and his heart melted.

"I love you, too. Can we…" she motioned towards the dance floor with her head, "dance? We've never really danced, the real kind of dancing."

Spike laughed. "Buffy, all we've ever done is danced."

She gasped. "You remember saying that to me?"

He cocked his head to the side, in deep thought for a second or two. "For some odd reason, yeah, I do remember saying it. But I think we were fighting, so no, not the real kind of dancing."

He stood, pulling her up to lean against him, placing a chaste kiss on top of her hand.

"Let's dance then."

Spike escorted Buffy to the dance floor, a slow melody playing in the background as he wrapped his arm around her waist, the other hand folded over hers. She found herself delighting in his Victorian gentlemanly approach to dancing with a lady, even though slowly, he enticingly pulled her closer with each step til their bodies melded together, hummed in harmony with the song.

She found herself absently twirling the curls at the nape of his neck around her fingers, an action he found most pleasant and comforting. He nuzzled the area above and in front of her ear, sending tingles of joy coursing through her. The song ended but they continued to sway back and forth.

Buffy stood on tiptoe and whispered into his ear, "Let's go home and talk some more."

Spike pulled back a bit and looked at her, smirk showing. "That's what you want to do? Talk?"

"Well, maybe other things, too. Other “taking it slow kind of things”. We'll see. I like talking as well. You say the most wonderful things, you know, most of the time." She replied genuinely.

"Okay then, we'll go home and…talk. I may be persuaded to do "other slow kind of things", if you want." Buffy laughed.

"Oh, I think there might be some persuasion. Not much, because if I remember right…you're easy." Buffy continued laughing as she pulled him towards the door of the club.

"Hey!"

TBC