**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**

Research was an inevitable quest and even Dawn got involved with all the boring books, anything to help bring her sister back home. In fact, it was Dawn that found important information about the hellmouth. It was, at the present moment, closed but they knew that once it opened again, all hell would break loose on earth, and for certain, things would happen very soon. The potential slayers were on their way to Sunnydale being brought by a couple of Watchers who were snatching them up before they could be targeted by whoever was knocking them off. They all knew they had to get Buffy back though or stand the chance of losing the battle against evil.

Spike knew he had been used by the Evil, but nevertheless still felt responsible for Buffy's kidnapping. He was prepared to go in after her, to fight whatever he had to bring her back. He missed her so desperately that it was like a terribly large hole had formed in his unbeating heart, aching constantly. Usually when he would began to think about her, his mind would kick in and berate him for allowing himself to be used as a pawn in the evil scheme. It helped him to start up a journal again. He wrote down his thoughts, stories and favorite poems. He didn't feel so bad afterwards.

Xander and Anya popped by in the afternoon to aide in the research, Anya grumbling under her breath the whole time. Xander found out from Willow that Spike had the chip removed and not to overreact about the situation. Now was not the time or place to worry about Spike's ability to harm humans if he so should desire to. No need to test any theories out and make things worse. So Xander approached the subject lightly.

"So, Spike, heard you had the chunk of metal and wires removed from your head," he slapped Spike not too gently on the back. Spike slowly turned his head to glare at the boy.

"Killed anybody lately?" Xander smirked ever so casually at the vampire.

In one fluid motion, Spike had Xander pinned against the wall, hand wrapped around his throat, not so tight that it would cut off his air tract, but tight enough to make Xander nervous.

"Hey!" Anya yelled. Willow and Dawn stood up from their seats and Giles ran out from the kitchen.

"Only you, boy, would say something so shallow about my lack of a handicap I've lived with for over three years. I've wanted to do this for so long now; I think I'm going to revel in the moment at hand. Prepare yourself for a bit of hurt, Xander my boy."

"Spike," Giles spoke softly but with warning in his tone.

Xander cringed and scrunched his face up awaiting the harsh fist in the face he was expecting.

"Hey, Xander?" Spike whispered, so Xander opened one eye and looked at him. Spike pointed his index finger at Xander's nose and tapped it while making a honking noise. He released the grip around his neck and patted him lightly on the chest.

"Gotcha," he smirked at the now relieved man still leaning against the wall for support.

Spike turned and looked at everyone standing around and staring at the two of them.

"Hey, lighten up. Do you think I would really resort to violence after all of this? Does no body have faith in me? Cause you know, that really sucks."

"Probably really bites, too," Dawn calmly said trying to lighten the mood again. Spike smiled at her and she began to giggle which caused a domino effect which resulted in everyone laughing. Spike offered his hand to Xander who shook it without reservation. Everyone quieted down when Spike cleared his throat.

"I want you all to know that you can trust me. It's up to you to believe me. I vow I will not do anything to hurt any of you. You are all I have, my family and I plan on doing everything possible to get Buffy back and defeat this evil that's trying to take over. I just hope you do believe in me."

The three girls smiled at him then went back to their previous work, and Xander butted him with his shoulder as he walked over to the research table. Spike turned and looked at Giles who nodded and went back into the kitchen. Spike smiled. No one had any arguments or qualms so this was of the good.

By early evening they were all sitting around the dining room table once again. Giles sighed loudly making everyone look up from their research materials to stare at him. He pulled his glasses off and laid them on the book in his lap, rubbing his eyes and pinching the bridge of his nose.

"Oh my," he moaned again, sounding exasperated.

"Giles, please share," Anya whined.

"I found a key factor."

"So, that's of the good, right?" Willow knew something bad was coming along with the good.

"Well, yes and no. By what I've read here, yes, Buffy will be saved and brought back to us to fight in the final battle."

Dawn smiled and sat up straight in her chair. "Well, that's really good. What's the bad news then?"

Giles looked up and stared directly at Spike. "Whoever is sent in to save her has to give up his life for the return of the chosen one."

The look between the two never faltered. Finally Spike broke the gaze and looked back down at his book. He stood suddenly causing the chair he was sitting on to topple backwards, and looked at each and every one of them before speaking.

"If that’s what needs to be done, then that’ll be what I'll do."

"No, no," Dawn slapped her palms down on either side of her book on the table. "No, it's not fair. Having to lose one to get one back? Doesn't seem fair. Spike you can't do this. I won't let you."

"Bit, I'm willing and able. You need your big sis. I'm going to get her back one way or another, even if it means staying in her place or dying for her." His voice began to crack as he slowly bent over to sit his chair upright. He lowered himself in it just as slowly.

"Sorry," he looked up at the sad and surprised faces again. "Hard to get a handle on it. You know I would die for her, for her to live. She needs to live. The world needs her to live. More than it needs me."

"Spike," Dawn began to sob.

"Shh, nibblet. Everything’ll be all right. I'll see to it. I think…I need to get some fresh air now since the sun’s gone down. I'll be back and then we can discuss how to go ‘bout all of this. The sooner I can go…the better."

Spike felt like everything was moving in slow motion as he leisurely walked to the door and out onto the porch. Standing there for a bit, he filled his long dead lungs with the fresh night air and gazed up into the clear sky. The stars sparkled brightly as the moon glowed overhead and cast an almost magical ambiance across everything. He stepped off of the porch and headed down the walk.

Inside, everyone remained quiet. Dawn was still sobbing, Xander and Anya were flipping through pages of their research books and Willow had laid her head down across her folded arms while Giles still stared at the wall opposite him. The front door opened as Meg, Willow's girlfriend and fellow Wicca, walked in looking happy and humming a tune. She bounced into the dining room and her smile faded as she saw all the drawn and tight faces.

"Oh, no. Who died?" She whispered.

Giles smiled painstakingly. "No one, yet, dear. It seems we have stumbled across a way of getting Buffy back. The problem being it will take the life of the rescuer to get her home safely."

"Spike. Oh, no." She sat down next to Dawn and wrapped her arm around her quivering shoulders. "I'm so sorry, Dawnie. Can I see the book you found this in, Giles?"

"Of course, but it states it very clearly."

Meg read the paragraph then handed the book back to Giles looking somber. She slid her hand into Willow's and squeezed it slightly. Willow smiled softly at her.

"Is your laptop still upstairs, sweetie?" She asked Willow.

"Yes, it's sitting on the desk recharging the battery, but it should be finished."

Meg stood. "Can you come up when you're finished down here?"

"Sure, I'll be up shortly." Willow smiled at the druidess' retreating form.

**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**

Spike returned an hour later not uttering one word as he made his way to the kitchen. No one really knew what to say to him anyway so the mood around the house was quite dreadful. Willow was making her way upstairs as he walked back into the dining room holding a mug in his hand and sitting down in the seat he had abandoned earlier.

"Find out anything more? About how and where I need to go?"

"No, not yet. I think we should call it a night and pick up again in the morning." Giles tried to sound upbeat.

Spike sighed loudly. "If you think it best. I'm beat then. Heading to bed. Goodnight."

Dawn held out her hand as he passed by and he reached for it, giving it a slight squeeze before leaving the room. She slammed the book she had been researching closed and pushed it away from her.

"I'm going to call it a night, too. See you in the morning."

Anya and Xander took off as well, leaving Giles still in research mode. By God he was going to try and find an alternative if he could. He was tired of losing members of his "family" even if this member was a souled vampire who was over 100 years old. He was still a part of the family. His loss would be mourned just as much as any of the others' deaths would be. There just had to be something somewhere.

Willow had found Meg staring intensely at the computer screen, her fingers flying across the laptop's keyboard. She pulled up the extra chair next to her girlfriend to see what she was working on.

"Find anything interesting?" Willow asked, hoping beyond hope she had come across something helpful.

"Sort of. After reading that paragraph in Giles’ book, something clicked. Have you had anymore visits from Tara? I think she may have more answers for us."

"No, but that doesn't mean I won't."

"Don't you find it interesting that Spike was mentioned in a prophecy for the final battle yet you’re sure he’s the one that’s supposed to go and lay down his life…or unlife as the case may be, to rescue the Slayer because she’s needed to play a vital part in the battle to end all battles?"

"Hmm, yes, it did mention two souled vampires fighting with Buffy. Do you think we’re being misled again by this Evil Big Bad?"

"I think this was supposed to be a trial of some sort. I think Buffy was actually supposed to be taken to the hellmouth. She’s being put on trial to see if she’s worthy enough. Now it seems to be Spike's turn, and knowing Spike, he’ll go to get her and give his own life for her. He would do nothing less I'm sure of it. I also think we’re here to intervene on his behalf. I was looking up protection spells and it's kind of hard to explain, but I think we can trick this evil somehow and bring them both back here safely."

"Wow, how did you get to be so smart?" Willow leaned over and kissed the tip of Meg's nose. She smiled.

"I retain a lot of information. And I think this Evil is playing with everyone's minds, making a right mess of them. Making us forget things and hindering us in our researches. I think your vision from Tara was a gift from the higher powers."

"Well, I think we need to run this all by Giles. We'll keep this information just between the three of us and see what we can come up with. Some way, some how we have to keep our family alive and all accounted for."

TBC